Dolph Ziggler

Mr. Seven

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Paid Members
Why was he wearing a Zach Ryder T-shirt on this weeks NXT, was it acknowledged at all?

It was acknowledged on commentary, yeah.

I don't think it has any deep meaning, Zack's been pushing the t-shirt hard on Twitter, I think if you Tweet him a picture of you wearing it he sends you a signed photo or something (I think this fact has been acknowledged on Superstars a couple of times). The guys clearly get a bit (lot) more of a free rein on NXT, so he probably stuck it on as a joke.

• Paid Members
Why would you change his name? Or his hair? Both great assets. Both help him stand out from the crowd.

Anyway, good question, Seven. I don't think he should be World Champion anytime soon simply because I rate him so highly. He's really good in the ring, probably the best of his generation in WWE. He needs to develop a main event attitude and a main event character before he gets pushed on. Otherwise, I fear he'll end up in the Swagger position of having one meaningless title run and having the booking squad lose interest in him when they realise he's got nowhere to go. That said, he's much better than Swagger.

I would have to go with most of this. It's a credit to Dolph that he's the only one who's managed to reinvent himself after the Spirit Squad, especially as it was only Kenny Dykstra (remember him?) who stood out from the Squad at the time.

• Paid Members
I can't get into Dolph, can't accept him as a World Title contender. The Billy Gunn comparisons are spot on in my opinion.

Billy Gunn could've easily been a main eventer if booked correctly. Hell, anyone can be a main eventer if booked right, but Billy Gunn was very talented all-round and had a good look. Over the years he was a cowboy, rockabilly, a new age outlaw, an 'ass-man', the one (not sure what 'the one' meant) and one half of a hinted gay couple. He was hindered massively by some awful booking.

I can't get into Dolph, can't accept him as a World Title contender. The Billy Gunn comparisons are spot on in my opinion.

Billy Gunn could've easily been a main eventer if booked correctly. Hell, anyone can be a main eventer if booked right, but Billy Gunn was very talented all-round and had a good look. Over the years he was a cowboy, rockabilly, a new age outlaw, an 'ass-man', the one (not sure what 'the one' meant) and one half of a hinted gay couple. He was hindered massively by some awful booking.

Haven't you just answered your own argument there?

He was booked every which way but loose, and still couldn't get over (on his own of course, he was massively over as a part of DX).

How would you have booked him differently?

• Paid Members

Haven't you just answered your own argument there?

He was booked every which way but loose, and still couldn't get over (on his own of course, he was massively over as a part of DX).

How would you have booked him differently?

By not tarnishing him with the shitty aforementioned gimmicks such as ass-man, rockabilly, one half of a hinted gay couple etc. After the late 99/early 2000 version of DX, they were short of big stars. You have The Rock, HHH, Big Show & Kane. Foley was on his way out, Taker & Austin still on the shelf, Jericho Angle & Radicalz were brilliant in the mid-card and Rikishi was rotten. That was the ideal time to break him away and have him pushed up the card. As a face would be best- turning against DX. Siding with Kane and feuding with Road Dogg/X-Pac. Initially in tag but then leading to a short singles feud with Road Dogg. They could've had that match ar Wrestlemania 2000- the only straight-up singles match. Wasn't he on the shelf for quite sometime in 2000?

• Paid Members

Dogg and Ass wrestled each other at Over The Edge 99. Also there was only about 5 months between DX reforming and his injury so they didn't really get chance to consider him leaving DX.

• Paid Members

I like him, and think he has a lot of the tools, but he's in desperate need of a name change. I can't take him seriously with the name, and I wouldn't imagine too many casual fans would either. He's a heck of a wrestler though.

As far as his linking with Vickie goes, I don't think she is an awful lot of benefit. I know she gets heat, but I think it's more 'go away' heat. I just can't listen to her, and I can't imagine I'm the only one that reaches for the mute and/or fast forward button, thereby bypassing Dolph a lot of the time as well. Dolph could get a hell of a reaction when he eventually splits from her, but where's the payoff? She'll then feud with him for months on end and he'll never be able to touch her, so it becomes a damp squib.

I do believe another couple of years in the mid card would do him the world of good though, having his heel role run its course, and then when he eventually gets a chance to win the title he should do so as a face. I think he'd click down the line as a face. Because of the WWE's failure to plan ahead, too many young guys are getting hotshotted rather than evolving into main eventers, and hence get given up on promptly. Since he has it in the ring, I would like to see Dolph be the exception.

By not tarnishing him with the shitty aforementioned gimmicks such as ass-man, rockabilly, one half of a hinted gay couple etc. After the late 99/early 2000 version of DX, they were short of big stars. You have The Rock, HHH, Big Show & Kane. Foley was on his way out, Taker & Austin still on the shelf, Jericho Angle & Radicalz were brilliant in the mid-card and Rikishi was rotten. That was the ideal time to break him away and have him pushed up the card. As a face would be best- turning against DX. Siding with Kane and feuding with Road Dogg/X-Pac. Initially in tag but then leading to a short singles feud with Road Dogg. They could've had that match ar Wrestlemania 2000- the only straight-up singles match. Wasn't he on the shelf for quite sometime in 2000?

He was injured at the time of WrestleMania 2000. He went out with injury at the February PPV and if I remember right, they did do some little thing with him breaking away from (or getting kicked out of) DX as part of the injury angle. When he returned later in the year, it was with a pretty major babyface singles push as "The One" and it flopped.

I wasn't sure of Ziggler up until recently, mainly because I don't seek out SmackDown each and every week, but his match at the Rumble with Edge was just brilliant. I'm not a fan of Edge right now and I knew Ziggler wasn't winning the title so the fact it kept me intrigued is even more impressive.

I think he's on the John Morrison level right now, albeit on the heel side of things rather than the babyface side. He doesn't interest me in promos right now, so Vickie needs to stay involved in the meantime. But it's obvious he can do it in the ring during main events, so he's got every chance of remaining a top star for years to come.

Ziggler is a name that's grown on me, and I like his look, I don't think there's any problems there. I just hope when the inevitable bust up with Vickie happens they don't blow it all on one show or have a carbon-copy of the Vickie/Edge break-up.

Just think though, where would Ziggler be now if WWE had a little more faith and patience in a previous man of Vickie's, Eric Escobar...?

Archived