Dolph Ziggler

Mr. Seven

Dolph-Ziggler.jpg

I've been a big fan of Dolph Ziggler for a good while now, to the point that he's probably my favourite wrestler in WWE right now. Naturally I'm delighted that he's been put into his first World title program. It seemed there was a time when he was heading for the future endeavours list following a Wellness violation and subsequent suspension and a farcical losing streak in his hunt for the Intercontinental belt.

In the last year he's gone from strength to strength and has clearly turned heads in the process. So what's the general consensus on the guy?

Does he have what it takes to be a "top guy" ?

Does he still need Vickie Guerrero to draw heat?

Does he need a name change?

Could he make a good babyface?

Should he win either of the top two titles this year if at all?

I'm of the opinion that he shouldn't beat Edge so soon and would like to see him go on to win the Money In The Bank at Wrestlemania (assuming that is still on the card) although I am wary that the MITB is fast becoming a tired gimmick and can result in a non-event like Swagger's reign. Right now I think Dolph still needs Vickie because he doesn't have much of a character to speak of other than being a privileged toyboy of sorts. He can certainly talk and he managed to get that godawful introducing himself gimmick over but his real strength is in the ring, where I genuinely believe he's on the same level as Daniel Bryan.

So what say you?

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Ziggler is awesome. I don't think he should win the World Title yet though, in the same way I don't think Del Rio should win it yet. I understand things have changed alot over the years, but what happened to having a long term Mid Carder, reliable and entertaining. Mr Perfect, Roddy Piper, Scott Hall, life long quality Mid Carders. Shawn Michaels broke the mould in some respects. He was an awesome Mid Carder for a long time before winning the Title at (I think) WrestleMania 14.

WWE have Main Eventers coming out of there ears, sure some are injured at the moment, and others are getting boring, that would be the only argument I woul;d agree with tohot shot new ones, but they have dne that twice with Miz and Sheamus.

Dolph's had a good mid-card run, and was a decent IC champion. Sure, it's not as long as some people in the past, but not many are these days.

So wouldn't consider it to be them hot-shotting Ziggler, nor do I actually think they did that with The Miz either. Only Sheamus I'd agree with.

He's definitely worth considering. His main stumbling block is that so far, he's not projected any kind of character for people to respond to. This leads to:

Yes. Very much so. They've been together and had enough TV bits now that he probably should have established more of his own personality, though. This feud with Edge could be where that finally starts to happen.

Does he need a name change?

The name doesn't bother me. Triple H is a stupid-as-arses name, and it's not held him back. Dolph Ziggler isn't that bad a name, by wrestling standards.

Potentially, yeah. He's not shown any ability to be a great heel yet, so I wouldn't rule him out as being stuck to playing that side of the fence.

At this point, it's too early to say. He's had a breakthrough in-ring and on last week's Smackdown, but I think he needs to start on a string of performances that convince people about his character and get him to connect with more than just the purists. It was around this time last year that Miz had that fantastic speech that started backstage and continued all the way to the ring. If Ziggler could start delivering performances even half that good, he'd be well on his way.

Another thing to consider is, how many new champions can really be established in a year? Miz is new to the championship game, and Alberto Del Rio and Wade Barrett are ahead of Dolph. But if he spends another year messing around with the Intercontinental title in rivalries that nobody involved or watching gives a shit about, the window of opportunity to make something of him might be gone.

• Paid Members

I'm not sure if being with Vicki's doing him any favours or not. Sure, she gets booed, I get that, and as long as she keeps getting involved in or cutting promos beforehand then his matches will have heat, but it was the same with Eric Escobar.

If they split and Ziggler starts coming out to no reaction then I'll admit defeat, but if they let him develop his own personality like he's shown glimpses of on NXT without Vicki then I think he could do well for himself. It's definitely not doing him any good when his matches play second fiddle to close-ups of Vicki, the ppv match with Kofi a few months ago took the piss, they cut to her face over 20 times within five minutes, even when she wasn't reacting.

If they put a 1/10th of the effort into him that they have into giving Vicki screen time then he should do well.

• Paid Members

I'd say he's got all the tools at his disposal to be a main event player. Seven thinks he's on the same level as Daniel Bryan and I don't think he's far off the mark there at all. For one, he bumps like an absolute maniac and makes the opposing babyface look like a real threat, which after all is the heels job in the first place.

Still kind of tieing in with the first question, I think Vickie by his side is a potential hot ticket to getting a hold on a permanent main event spot. Yes, Vickie is drawing the bulk of the heat when the two of them get the screen time, but then with the Edge feud I think we'll start to see Dolph coming more and more out of his shadow, getting his personality across more and slowly but surely taking more of the spotlight from Vickie.

He was getting some good reactions during the love triangle thing with the diva from NXT, so there's definitely something there. And once again, Vickie is the perfect foil for a potential face turn for him. I don't think it should happen for a while yet though.

Depends on the definition of "should." By rights I'm quite the traditionalist and I believe the World titles aren't as prestigious as they used to be and I believe it should be earned over quite a period of time, but then I think that's just pedantary on my part. But COULD he be a World Champion? Absolutely! Can you imagine Dolph winning the title with Vickie by his side? The heat would be golden. Also, through putting the belt on him, you'd be in line for some fantastic TV main events and hopefully more decent PPV contests. Also, through this spell as World Champion, it'd give him the opportunity to do two of the things mentioned above. He'd get to showcase more of his personality and gradually shift more of the spotlight onto him, then eventually Vickie could potentially screw him out of the title and thus turn him babyface. So actually, I'm all for a Ziggler World title run. I dare say it'd mean more than Edge's Millionth, emotionless current reign.

Whenever I see Dolph Ziggler, I'm reminded of Billy Gunn.

Good size. Good look. Good in-ring. Yet he doesn't have that main event aura. Not too sure on his promos either.

But who knows? Miz managed to become WWE Champion.

He's got everything for me except the name. They need to change it or re-jig it.

Hunter Heart Helmsley became Triple H; Johnny Nitro became John Morrison. A new surname and then gradually drop the first name.

I still cant believe hes only been a pro wrestler for 4 years and that hes in his 30s.

What? He was wrestling on the WWE tour in November 2005 (the one the week after Eddie Guerrero died), and he was on Raw before that as Kerwin White's caddy. So he's been in WWE for over five years, let alone wrestling.

Archived