FSM Thread

Vipes

Oh, also, can you get your writers to stop saying "this writer" or "this author" when referring to themselves? It sounds pretentious when the broadsheets do it, never mind a wrestling magazine.

Fin Martin does that shit sometimes too. It makes me roll my eyes like I've just defended my streak at WrestleMania.

• Awards Moderator
Oh, also, can you get your writers to stop saying "this writer" or "this author" when referring to themselves? It sounds pretentious when the broadsheets do it, never mind a wrestling magazine.

Fin Martin does that shit sometimes too. It makes me roll my eyes like I've just defended my streak at WrestleMania.

Absolutely agreed. This poster also loved your Undertaker analogy.

Seriously though, there must be dozens of ways to get round having to refer to yourself in that way - or at all - in pieces of writing that, to be honest, really don't need it.

Oh, actually, one more thing on the Hogan interview. I noticed the word 'prevalent' seemed to crop up at least twice in this month's part of the interview. Which is fine; it's a good word. Maybe Hogan just likes to use it. However, I couldn't help but notice that in each instance, the word 'relevant' seemed to fit the context a hell of a lot better.

I haven't heard the audio of the interview - maybe Hogan just likes the word 'prevalent' and doesn't quite get what it means. Or perhaps he used the word 'relevant' and whoever checks these things didn't pick up on it. Just something to look at - perfectly innocent in this scenario but if it's a misquote, you don't want that backfiring on you in the future.

Thanks to tony1234 for pointing out the error in the Mark Rocco piece, which was a typo referring to "mid-heavyweight" instead of heavy-middleweight. Hopefully this didn't spoil anyone's enjoyment of the piece.

HarmonicGenerator, I'm sorry that you felt that a couple of the articles were below FSM's high standards this month. The article on comedy and tragedy in pro wrestling characters and storylines was inspired by The Rock's promos, and how over the character of Dr Shelby has been on WWE TV. It was an examination of why such characters do and don't work. The article regarding re-matches at WrestleMania was inspired by accusations of predictability in WWE's booking following The Royal Rumble. Since we had already covered The Rock, John Cena and CM Punk's plight in depth recently, I felt it was an interesting topic to examine.

I'm afraid you'll have to blame me for the "this author" reference now and again. Personally, I find it formal but not pretentious! :)

Thanks for the feedback, which will be used constructively.

• Awards Moderator

Thanks for the response, Brian.

I agree that both articles were interesting subjects; I knew what they were meant to be about, but I didn't come away any more informed or engaged with the subjects than I was beforehand. It was the way they were presented rather than the subjects themselves that I took issue with - they are undoubtedly interesting topics to examine, but I didn't feel they had been examined in the best way. Sorry!

Regarding 'this author', I see your point, and I agree, sometimes formality is called for - but I think sometimes it creates a distancing between the writing and the reader when perhaps a greater degree of easy accessibility would be more helpful. Ergo, the feeling of it being pretentious!

The word 'ergo' is also pretentious. I am aware of this too :)

I'd like to see a new dynamite kid interview! His take on the documentary, the wrestlers comments in it etc!! Especially seeing how good Michelle's article was, he always provides a good written interview even though he can a one word man on film

Totally agree that the luke dormehl articles arent the best. They read like a students essay. I buy the mag every month and hadnt really took much notice who wrote the articles until it's just been pointed out.

On a side note. Very strange place to advertise "a perfect wedding" magazine is a wrestling mag.

Good issue again, look forward to The Perfect article next month.

• 3 weeks later...

Issue 91 of Fighting Spirit Magazine is now available!

2n1fl1w.jpg

In this month's edition, FSM has feature-length articles on:

- John Cena, and how an 11th reign as WWE champion has promise, if WWE play to his strengths

- FSM looks back on the career of The Undertaker, and suggests the qualities that quickly made him a locker-room leader

- In the second part of the most in-depth interview of Hulk Hogan's career, the former six-time WWE champion tells FSM about matches with The Rock, Bret Hart, and Steve Austin, and reveals his pain at the death of Randy Savage

- In the wake of the Alberto Del Rio vs. Jack Swagger angle, FSM looks back at the history of political angles, and ponders whether they do more harm than good

- As Harley Race gets ready to celebrate his 70th birthday, FSM examines the career of the man known as one of the toughest in the history of pro wrestling

- Many British wrestlers had some boxing training, but none had the skill of Jackie Turpin. FSM charts his switch to showmanship in the latest in our Greetings, Grapple Fans series.

(For a preview of our explosive interview with Hulk Hogan, please visit http://www.fightingspiritmagazine.co.uk/ar...tch-on-the-fly)

All of this, plus our usual news, PPV and TV reports, and reviews. Also, in this month's columns, on the 15th anniversary of his first WWF title win, “Stone Cold” Steve Austin explains how he worked his way to the championship, but couldn't be sure if Shawn Michaels would actually drop it to him at WrestleMania XIV. Nick “Magnus” Aldis talks about a situation he found himself in at a recent TV taping that made him think about his attitude to pro wrestling. Also, Jim Cornette – in a follow-up to the article on Harley Race – recalls the reasons why the one-time “King” of the WWF was so admired.

The cheapest and easiest way to subscribe to FSM is via our website, here: http://www.fightingspiritmagazine.co.uk/magazine/subscribe UK subscribers will receive their copy of FSM early (subject to a reliable postal service; last month's issue arrived with subscribers a full three days before the on-sale date), and will receive an extra two issues absolutely free of charge. This means that with a 12-month subscription, you get 14 issues at a total cost of

Edited by Brian Elliott

Ha ha, no worries.

Bought the new issue yesterday and what i have read i have enjoyed so far. Even though i am generally not a fan of the Luke Dormehl articles he does seem to have cut down on his constant referral to history books and quotes of the past which have nothing to do with wrestling in the Taker articles.

I generally just find reading his articles feel like reading homework, or an essay. I dont think many people look into wrestling the way these articles do and generally i stop reading them halfway through. I imagine most people are the same, wrestling isnt rocket science or recreating the wheel, it's a pastime what people watch or read for enjoyment, those articles are far far to heavy.

Those photos from Andrew Cawley are brilliant. Especially of the big geezer in the mask stretching his back on the floor.

I havent read the Turpin article yet but as a big boxing fan i am looking forward to it. (typing this as Sprott is under performing against Helenious)

On a side note i would love to see articles on any of the following.........

Demolition - or the history of face paint in wrestling - with some killer pictures of the best.

Kevin Sullivan - one of the most underated men in wrestling history.

Rick Martel and all his early stuff up to the model and even his matches with Booker T.