Awesome Kong Gets Job At Burger King

The Icon

Does it? I thought Bubba Dudley put at least one woman through a table on Smackdown. I'd think it's not the PG rating that would stop WWE, it's the fear of backlash and negative attention.

WWE wasn't PG then

Smackdown was PG-rated during the attitude era.

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Paid Members
Does it? I thought Bubba Dudley put at least one woman through a table on Smackdown. I'd think it's not the PG rating that would stop WWE, it's the fear of backlash and negative attention.

WWE wasn't PG then

Indeed. IIRC nobody could blade on Smackdown, which is also why the first few Smackdown games did not contain blood, whereas WWF Attitude did.

• Paid Members
Indeed. IIRC nobody could blade on Smackdown, which is also why the first few Smackdown games did not contain blood, whereas WWF Attitude did.

So why have we got blood in the games now if the whole organisation is PG?

Very good question indeed, go figure. I think the first time they included blood in the game was when the series changed their name from Smackdown, as well (ie when it became Smackdown VS Raw).

WWE wasn't PG then

Is that actually true? Oh well you learn something new every day, mind you i would never have thought it was PG given some of the stuff they did during that time period.

How can an organisation be PG? PG is a television rating. It's like saying Steve Coogan's production company is a 15.

• Moderators

Very good question indeed, go figure. I think the first time they included blood in the game was when the series changed their name from Smackdown, as well (ie when it became Smackdown VS Raw).

Not so. Purely from memory I can tell you that they had First Blood matches in Here Comes the Pain. Can't remember offhand when blood actually came into the games though.

• Paid Members
UV-June-Mack2.jpg

One for the Russ Meyer fans out there...both of them.

Is that from Faster Pussycat Kill? Or something simliar? Either way, I remember seeing that on Bravo or something a few years ago...

I'm not familiar with which one it is, but it's definately not Faster Pussycat, Kill Kill (as that one was shot all in black and white). Neither is it Supervixens or Beyond The Valley Of The Dolls, and I'm pretty sure it's not Cherry, Harry & Raquel either.

I can now say with certainty that that lady is Junkyard Sal from Beneath the Valley of the Ultravixens.

Probably the most enjoyabel bit of research I've ever done.

I know the lead designer of Smackdown and asked him this very same question last summer. Apparently WWE wanted it to be removed, but THQ's market research showed that blood was considered an 'essential' part of the game by the fanbase and they stood their ground. After months of negotiations, WWE eventually agreed to allow it to stay on the proviso that they added an option to turn it on or off - which I think debuted in this year's game.

• Paid Members

Not so. Purely from memory I can tell you that they had First Blood matches in Here Comes the Pain. Can't remember offhand when blood actually came into the games though.

Aha, cheers for that. I remember a big deal being made when they finally announced blood, and I remember the reason they didn't have bllod in Smackdown games before was because blading was prohibited on the Smackdown tv show.

WWE wasn't PG then

It was more to do with graphics than permissions

Archived