Seinfeld

Devon Malcolm

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Paid Members
Ok, I'm going to make a grave, grave admission here; I have never watched an episode of Seinfeld. I only even came into this thread to see TripleA make a mong of himself again. But having read the thread, I have a question for people;

Does the show still stand up today? Like, has it aged well? Or do you lot still enjoy it mainly out of nostalgia? I might look into downloading some seasons of it and giving it a go, just wondering is it something that would still stand up as being funny now for someone watching it for the first time?

It absolutely does still stand up, for me. It's not one of those comedies that really has humour that is of that time - several episodes, in terms of what they're referencing (Schindler's List, for instance, and JFK) are clearly showing their age, but I think they're quite clever on the whole in that it is not a comedy that I can see really dating. As Butch points out, it's not really about pop culture and so it doesn't really pick up age in that regard. I would highly recommend it but make sure you do start from the beginning rather than from series 3 when it really starts to pick up. In my opinion, it is the greatest sitcom of all time.

Going back to Murtz's point, I don't see any reason why you can't enjoy Seinfeld after seeing Curb first - you just might find it a little gentler in comparison, but as long as you are not bothered by that, you should enjoy it as well.

• 3 weeks later...

I've never seen an episode of Seinfeld. It doesn't seem funny when I've seen clips.

Tell me this - in an episode of Curb Your Enthusiasm there is a Seinfeld reunion, and they are doing rehearsals. The crew and director can't stop themselves from laughing, the cast are holding in their laughter and as soon as the scene is over they crack up. Yet none of it is slightly funny at all. So, what's the deal? Was it a joke within Curb... or was it all supposed to be funny but wasn't at all?

• Paid Members
You can't appreciate Seinfeld through the shorthand of clips. It can't be boiled down to Kramer falling through the bar.

And Elaine made a face.

• 4 months later...
  • Paid Members

Sorry to resurrect this thread after awhile, but iv'e been watching through all the Seinfeld's these last few months and am currently on season 8, im one of those who was skeptical about the age but it reallt doesn't matter at all, I still find the Steinbrenner bits hilarious etc, I'm currently on a crusade to go through all beloved sitcoms and went through Cheers, MASH etc but nothing even comes close to Seinfeld, I love sitcoms but never have I seen a show where iv'e marveled at the brillance as much as Seinfeld, anyone who thinks Jerry himself doesn't play a huge part is wrong aswell, he's somewhat similar to Frasier Crane as he acts as a focal part for all the other characters to gather around, i'm approaching on Season 9 with apprehension because I don't want it to end, it's fantastic, I doubt i'll ever watch something as enjoyable again.

• Paid Members
Has anyone seen the Seinfeld movie 'Comedian' I picked it up tonight and wondered had anyone seen it?

Yeah, its a decent documentary about Stand up comedy. The biggest thing I remember from it was what a twat Orny Adams (young up and comer) looked like. Not an amazing film, but worth watching.

• Paid Members
I've never seen an episode of Seinfeld. It doesn't seem funny when I've seen clips.

Tell me this - in an episode of Curb Your Enthusiasm there is a Seinfeld reunion, and they are doing rehearsals. The crew and director can't stop themselves from laughing, the cast are holding in their laughter and as soon as the scene is over they crack up. Yet none of it is slightly funny at all. So, what's the deal? Was it a joke within Curb... or was it all supposed to be funny but wasn't at all?

Judging Seinfeld by clips is probably the worst thing you can do. All the jokes are related to the plot of that episode and the characters. They can't be summed up in 30 seconds. A clip of Kramer slamming money on the table and saying "I'm out" isn't funny, but if you saw the previous 7 minutes of episode it's one of THE classic moments in comedy.

And the bit from Curb Your Enthusiasm is specifically related to Seinfeld. As a huge Seinfeld fan I thought the scene was funny, as you have no knowledge of Seinfeld it went completely over your head.

• Moderators
Would be nice.

Don't see your point though.

The guy above said you can't judge it on clips. I'm saying I have now seen an episode all the way through and still didn't enjoy it. What's the problem?

People always act so proud is all. "I didn't laugh!" You're the one missing out on almost 200 episodes of the best (and fuck subjectivity, it just is) show ever made. If anything, your initial post should have been accompanied by a sad smiley face.

Not that one episode is an anywhere near-decent way to judge the show. If you took a random episode, you don't know any of the characters or various in-jokes, and even the tone and pacing (ie the Seinfeld-ian way the dialogue works) will be unfamiliar to you. If it was the first episode, it had yet to find its feet, so that's no place to start either if you're planning on just giving up if it doesn't take after 20 minutes, sat with your arms folded and mind already made up, just so's you can say you've actually watched it now and were right all along. People are so lazy when it comes to getting into shows, often, just to prove a point. The point usually being, "I'm proud to be ignorant!" That's just a general comment, but if you feel like it applies to you, then maybe it should.

Archived