Seinfeld

Devon Malcolm

• 1 month later...
  • Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 1 month later...
  • Paid Members
Almost finished watching Season four on DVD. Each Season seems to get better and better!

I agree. I got the Complete Seinfeld set not long ago and so far I'm nearing the end of Season 3. Seasons 1 and 2 are alright, but they're more character developing than actual laughs. Season 3 has some really funny stuff though.

One thing that stands out though is how lucky Jerry Seinfeld was to get the show because he's not really that funny at all. His stand-up is just awful from the parts shown on the shows, the 1-hour documentary in Season 2 and the bits I've seen online and that. He also manages to be the least funny one in his own show which is bizarre.

• Paid Members
Almost finished watching Season four on DVD. Each Season seems to get better and better!

I agree. I got the Complete Seinfeld set not long ago and so far I'm nearing the end of Season 3. Seasons 1 and 2 are alright, but they're more character developing than actual laughs. Season 3 has some really funny stuff though.

One thing that stands out though is how lucky Jerry Seinfeld was to get the show because he's not really that funny at all. His stand-up is just awful from the parts shown on the shows, the 1-hour documentary in Season 2 and the bits I've seen online and that. He also manages to be the least funny one in his own show which is bizarre.

Needless to say I think you're completely wrong.

Seinfeld is an observational comedian who understands his own limitations as a stand-up - he makes fun of his own stand-up through several other characters throughout the duration of the series. But without that eye for detail and the absurd in the most unlikely or innocent of places, the show would never have gotten made or become nearly as successful as it did. To suggest he was 'lucky' is absolutely ridiculous.

Also, it's a situation comedy, not a contest between who is the funniest. As The Miz pointed out, in one of his rare moments of accuracy, he's ostensibly the straight man in this because, as he pointed out, being surrounded by three outstanding actors who clearly could be funny without trying too hard, he didn't feel as though he needed to be the comedy pinnacle of the show. Having said that, he is VERY funny in the show - he's clearly nowhere near as good an actor as his three main co-stars, but he learns very quickly on the show and has many hilarious solo scenes.

Seasons 1 and 2 are also very underrated. Character developing, maybe, but Season 2 has at least six fantastic episodes that stand up to the best of the following series. There are loads of 'actual laughs' in there.

• Paid Members

Seinfeld is an observational comedian who understands his own limitations as a stand-up - he makes fun of his own stand-up through several other characters throughout the duration of the series. But without that eye for detail and the absurd in the most unlikely or innocent of places, the show would never have gotten made or become nearly as successful as it did. To suggest he was 'lucky' is absolutely ridiculous.

Also, it's a situation comedy, not a contest between who is the funniest. As The Miz pointed out, in one of his rare moments of accuracy, he's ostensibly the straight man in this because, as he pointed out, being surrounded by three outstanding actors who clearly could be funny without trying too hard, he didn't feel as though he needed to be the comedy pinnacle of the show. Having said that, he is VERY funny in the show - he's clearly nowhere near as good an actor as his three main co-stars, but he learns very quickly on the show and has many hilarious solo scenes.

Seasons 1 and 2 are also very underrated. Character developing, maybe, but Season 2 has at least six fantastic episodes that stand up to the best of the following series. There are loads of 'actual laughs' in there.

Na, you're wrong.

Seinfeld is pretty much like "Joey" except if Joey was surrounded by funny people. An unfunny guy coasting off the popularity of his co-stars is a good description too. I find Seinfeld the show really funny, just not Seinfeld the person. There's tons of way more funny observational comedians out there, Peter Kay for one.

Na, you're wrong.

Seinfeld is pretty much like "Joey" except if Joey was surrounded by funny people. An unfunny guy coasting off the popularity of his co-stars is a good description too. I find Seinfeld the show really funny, just not Seinfeld the person. There's tons of way more funny observational comedians out there, Peter Kay for one.

moron.jpg

Well his stand up was so funny that they gradually phase it out of the show completely so y'know, you work it out.

The stand-up in the show wasn't great but they actually phased it out completely when Larry David left and Seinfeld had to take over the day-to-day running of the show so didn't have time to write and film any material for the stand-up bits so they replaced it with a cold open. I think it was occasionally not on before due to time restraints and as it wasn't integral to the story it was cut.

Archived