Seinfeld

Devon Malcolm

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Paid Members
Jerry Seinfeld not funny? Tell me, who writes the show?

EDIT: Actually here's a better answer

It was largely co-written by David and Seinfeld with input from numerous script writers, including Larry Charles, Peter Mehlman, Gregg Kavet, Andy Robin, Carol Leifer, David Mandel, Jeff Schaffer, Steve Koren, Jennifer Crittenden, Tom Gammill, Max Pross, Charlie Rubin, Marjorie Gross, Alec Berg, Elaine Pope, and Spike Feresten.

So yeah, all those.

It was largely co-written by David and Seinfeld with input from numerous script writers, including Larry Charles, Peter Mehlman, Gregg Kavet, Andy Robin, Carol Leifer, David Mandel, Jeff Schaffer, Steve Koren, Jennifer Crittenden, Tom Gammill, Max Pross, Charlie Rubin, Marjorie Gross, Alec Berg, Elaine Pope, and Spike Feresten.

So yeah, all those.

For the record, what would happen is that all those other people would write a script and then hand it in to David and Seinfeld, who would then go over it word by word, joke by joke to make sure it was good enough and to make improvements in every possible area. At the time it was quite an unusual practice for the showrunners of a sitcom to be so dictatorial, but David and Seinfeld were both obsessed with maintaining quality. Now, obviously I'm not saying the other writers don't deserve credit, but don't for a second think that Seinfeld's role was anything less than authoritative.

I love 'Seinfeld' as much as most people in this topic, totally agree that in every single episode there is at least one bit of comedy gold. Gold, Jerry.

However, am I the only person in the world who loved 'Seinfeld' but hates 'Curb Your Enthusiasm'? :(

I've tried, I really have. Struggled to get through the Season 2 dvd not liking the Larry character, not getting any enjoyment from any of the supporting cast like Jeff, Cheryl, Jason Alexander etc., and finding a lot of the episodes predictable. Tried again when Sky Atlantic showed Season 1 but couldn't get into that either.

The worst case of predictability was an episode in which they did a scene where Larry had some important tickets for something. Then the next scene Cheryl gave the jacket he was wearing to a homeless person, then Larry couldn't find the tickets. Not good.

With 'Seinfeld', the set-ups didn't always give away the punchline at the end of the episodes. Like the unforgettable climax to George's story about the whale which ended with him pulling the golf ball out of his pocket.

• Paid Members

I've never watched Seinfeld, just never got round to it. However since Sky Atlantic started I've been watching Curb and I absolutely love it. Would I be right in saying Seinfeld is right up my street then?

• Paid Members

Ok, I'm going to make a grave, grave admission here; I have never watched an episode of Seinfeld. I only even came into this thread to see TripleA make a mong of himself again. But having read the thread, I have a question for people;

Does the show still stand up today? Like, has it aged well? Or do you lot still enjoy it mainly out of nostalgia? I might look into downloading some seasons of it and giving it a go, just wondering is it something that would still stand up as being funny now for someone watching it for the first time?

Archived