Seinfeld

Devon Malcolm

• Paid Members

Busted out some of the 'Feld (specifically The Keys) last night to distract me from this friggin' cold, inspired by hearing about Seinfeld's upcoming date in London.

I know there are a bunch of fans around here but was wondering how well you think it stands up these days and, as a point of trivia, if anyone remembers the three disastrous attempts at doing a British Seinfeld over here?

In the meantime:-

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Still the greatest sitcom ever made, for me. I think the complete lack of character development is the key to it staying funny for nine years - Friends and Frasier both lost their way (IMO) when the characters started pairing off, having babies and the like, and the less said about Fools and Horses once Damien grew into a detestable little urchin and Rodney married fucking Cassandra, the better. Seinfeld's characters stayed the same neurotic, self-obsessed, overgrown kids for the duration, and that was the beauty of it - it never got old because the writers kept the situations they got into evolving without ever getting too 'heavy'. The way they blew off George's engagement was funny as fuck in comparison to the half-series of angsty soap opera episodes a similar situation would necessitate in Friends.

The brilliance of the recurring characters can't be underestimated either - Frank Costanza and Newman were two of the best characters on TV, but they were never overused to the point where anyone got sick of them.

As far as the trivia question, I only really remember Baddiel's Syndrome, but the memory of that is bad enough to make me grateful that I can't remember the other two.

• Paid Members

Recently started watching them as i'd never seen them before, really enjoyed them. Kramer is excellent, and his "You're just as pretty as any of those women, you just need a nose job" line is one of my favourites from any sitcom.

Due to me seeing Curb Your Enthusiasm before Seinfeld, it was quite good when all these little in-jokes or actors that were in Curb popped up in Seinfeld.

• Paid Members

I think the only thing that Seinfeld ever did wrong was its finale. Until that point it never ran out of steam - although Frasier wasn't as good towards the end, it was still far stronger than Friends was.

I reckon the makers of Peep Show have taken a leaf out of Seinfeld's book in the limited use of characters like Super Hans and Johnson, much as Seinfeld used the likes of Newman and the Costanzas sparingly.

All I have to say is: No one is

Seinfeld was one of those things that I had to watch about 2 and a half series of until I really 'got it' and then found it funny. Not sure why this is the case, but I've heard a lot of people say that.

and the less said about Fools and Horses once Damien grew into a detestable little urchin

Agreed, that kid was horrendous. Not sure what Sullivan was thinking.

I think the only thing that Seinfeld ever did wrong was its finale. Until that point it never ran out of steam - although Frasier wasn't as good towards the end, it was still far stronger than Friends was.

I reckon the makers of Peep Show have taken a leaf out of Seinfeld's book in the limited use of characters like Super Hans and Johnson, much as Seinfeld used the likes of Newman and the Costanzas sparingly.

Aye, agreed. I think so much of the emphasis in the last episode was on consciously avoiding the cliches of other comedies (taking the piss out of a potential Jerry/Elaine reunion, giving the characters the opposite of the traditional sitcom 'happy ending') that they forgot all the little stuff that made it funny in the first place.

As for Peep Show, I think it's probably the closest a long-running British sitcom has got in recent years to the Seinfeld model of character development, or lack thereof (Mark's botched wedding being a prime example), and Johnson is genius. I do worry how much it has left in it now that Mark's baby has been born and actually seems to be his, though.

Just googled them both, have no recollection of either one but they sound on a par with Baddiel's Syndrome. Speaking of which, I don't know why anyone thought a bookish, nasal nerd whose funniest televised moments had been dressing up as old footballers and getting attacked with a pastry by Bridget Nielsen would be ideal in the Jerry Seinfeld role. Apart from the jewishness, there are literally no similarities.

• Moderators

This is the right time of year for this thread, what with Festivus being right around the corner.

I hand on heart reckon that George Costanza is in the top five greatest characters from any programme from any genre. Sheer brilliance.

• Paid Members
I think the complete lack of character development is the key to it staying funny for nine years - Friends and Frasier both lost their way (IMO) when the characters started pairing off, having babies and the like,

I couldn't agree with this more, I hate it so much when shows start pairing people off and shit, it's my worst. Married with Children was good for having no character developement, still the same horrible family for 11 years.

I liked Puddy best and have loved Patrick Warburton ever since

Picture%206.png:love:

• Paid Members
This is the right time of year for this thread, what with Festivus being right around the corner.

I hand on heart reckon that George Costanza is in the top five greatest characters from any programme from any genre. Sheer brilliance.

Completely agree. Although it does worry me just how many things I agree with him on sometimes.

I mean, the chocolate eclair in the bin? I think I would have too. Plus, sometimes I do get extra comfort from taking some garments off when I go for a crap too.

Archived