OOOLD SCHOOOOL

IANdrewDiceClay

• Replies 607
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Paid Members

Last night I watched the 98 episode of Raw where Cactus Jack and Chainsaw Charlie took the infamous dumpster ride off the entrance way courtesy of the New Age Outlaws. I'm gonna' do a lot of gushing here. It's so fucking brilliant. The announcers sell it like Funk & Foley have been murdered. It's repeated over and over and the spot looks amazing. After the big moment it's really helped hugely by nearly the whole roster coming out to the scene of the crime. You've also got Pat Patterson, Sgt. Slauhgter and Vince McMahon out there to add to the impact of the moment. Heels and faces stand together because they are worried about Funk & Foley who the announcers tell you are so respected by everyone on the roster. Sunny is holding Mick Foley's hand with tears streaming down her face for Christ's sake. Then the Outlaws come out on the stage looking guilty as hell and even concerned. Flash Funk kicks off and is screaming his head off at Road Dogg & being held back by road agents. Then the Headbangers and DOA attack the Outlaws and are beating the shit out of them, agents and refs are trying to restore order and the Outlaws escape to the backstage area as the rest of the roster look pissed off/worried.

It shortly then cuts to the Outlaws backstage looking guilty and shocked and perhaps even regretful. They try to justify their actions to JR and start to admit that maybe they took it too far trying to "get over" and make a name of themselves. Then Triple H and HBK (who are so incredibly hateable as DX) turn up and say they did the right thing, that they are pushing the bounderies and getting ratings and this is the kind of stuff you need to do.

At the end of the night Road Dogg comes down for a match with Austin, starts his "oh you didn't know" shtick but then just says "awww forget it" and throws the mic down while the fans boo the shit of him. Austin then comes out looking pissed as hell, straight away beats the shit out of Billy Gunn and Road Dogg and the match is stopped by the ref after about 25 seconds because Austin is going so nuts. DX come out and Austin gets a brutal 4 way beatdown, tied up in the ropes while HBK taunts him and literally rubs the belt in his face. The fans are booing DX and NAO out of the building! Then Cactus and Charlie run out in hospital gowns weilding an IV stand and a chainsaw and the heels run to the back! Austin gets out of the ropes, and these days the face would standing in the ring and pose while the show faceds to black, but Austin immediatly runs to the back looking furious, chasing after DX and NAO while Cactus stays in the ring to end the show. The whole angle is a thing of beauty! One thing I am loving so much about these episodes is how the shows feel like a living breathing world. Today it's a variety show of "here's the Cena bit, then the Orton bit, then the Broadus Clay bit", but on these shows it feels like everyone is all in it together, everyone is constantly interacting with eachother in one way or another, and that just because someones match has ended they can still turn up later at any time in the show to do something.

it feels like everyone is all in it together, everyone is constantly interacting with eachother in one way or another, and that just because someones match has ended they can still turn up later at any time in the show to do something.

This is so important. There was a period when TNA got really good at this - people would come down to the ring for their match or interview whilst the last guys were still heading up the ramp, and they did those backstage interview in the locker room or before/after the show and you'd see wrestlers getting ready for their match or cooling down afterwards.

I know it's not a real sport. But I want it to kind of feel like one. I want wins and losses to mean something, and I want the guys to be competitors not entertainers.

• Paid Members

That show LaGoosh reviewed was a turning point in the Monday Night War. It was a big night for them. It was the big kick off to the Michaels vs Austin feud as well as having that huge angle to kick the show off. The final scene was Austin tearing the DX shirt in half if I remember right?

That period was one of the best in Raw history. From the night after Royal Rumble until WrestleMania, each episode of Raw was a knock out. The main event of No Way Out 98 was absolutely blinding. Savio or not. Austin was on fire that night.

One thing I am loving so much about these episodes is how the shows feel like a living breathing world. Today it's a variety show of "here's the Cena bit, then the Orton bit, then the Broadus Clay bit", but on these shows it feels like everyone is all in it together, everyone is constantly interacting with eachother in one way or another, and that just because someones match has ended they can still turn up later at any time in the show to do something.

Couldn't agree more, and I agree with what Loki said below too. I was thinking about this while watching Raw this week (sorry its not pre 2000) SPOILER - Highlight the black box to read

was that this week it did feel like a living, breathing world, cause of the lumberjacks, cause of perceived schlubs like Hawkins, Reks, Titus and Yound attacking John Cena

. You don't normally get that on Raw, as LaGoosh said its "here comes Brodus' part" and "here is the bit where Randy Orton has a promo" or what have you.

• Paid Members

Jackyll really was fucking shit aswell. I've got no idea what the hell the gimmick is supposed to be. He comes out throwing peace signs and talking about intellectual intercourse while at the same time managing the Truth Commission (who suck) which is a military gimmick and slapping Kurrgan about. The whole thing makes no goddamn sense.

I remember Friar Ferguson! Can't believe they climaxed a Raw with him, though. What an absolutely awful Raw that looks like.

Was Friar Ferguson not Mike Shaw? Soon to be repackaged as Bastion Booger?

• Paid Members
Been finding my Sundays going through Raw from 1997. Up to May now on the week before the 'Sunny days' comment. Can't wait for "next week".

You're in for a treat.

I've spent the best part of a year working through 1997 and it's all tremendous.

I remember Friar Ferguson! Can't believe they climaxed a Raw with him, though. What an absolutely awful Raw that looks like.

Was Friar Ferguson not Mike Shaw? Soon to be repackaged as Bastion Booger?

Yeah he was. Apparently the Catholic Church of New York found the gimmick to be offensive so they repacked him as the Booger.

Got off to a promising start as well! The next one has a main event with Beverlys vs. Money Inc which I have hopes for, and opened with a good Virgil vs. Razor Ramon match. Here's hoping.

Friar Ferguson actually did a bit of dancing in the match too, which I think was supposed to signal some sort of babyface thing. Nobody cared though so I'm not sure what was going on.

• Paid Members

More '98 Raw thoughts:

Pretty much every week they have a match featuring Taka Michinoku and it's always bloody great and he's suprisingly really over with the fans. It's usually a singles with Taka vs. some Mexican they've brought in that week or a tag match of Taka & Aguila vs. Brian Christopher & some Mexican. The matches have been really good and are a breath of fresh air from the rest of the matches on the show (which are usually muscle dudes kicking eachother in the face and piledrivers...not that there's anything wrong with that). Brian is a blast as "Too Sexy" and truly detestable, he also does incredbly brutal German Suplexes and an awesome sunset flip powerbomb off the ring apron which in one case Taka's head bounced off the concrete really badly. The matches are alot of fun, check them out on YouTube.

It's insane how over Sable is. Especially considering you have the hundred times hotter, more talented and more likeable Sunny on the same show.

Chyna is really good in her role in DX and the man chin looks alot better for a heel character. I'm a big fan of her haning around in the background in silence looking mean while DX do their bullshit than I ever was when she became a singles wrestler. Also it means you rarely hear her nails on a chalkboard voice.

Michael Hayes has returned as Doc Hendrix for some reason. They call him Doc Hendrix but then say that his name is actual Michael Hayes...so why bother? In his first appearance in 1998 he is introduced via a specially produced video montage, his own entrance music, he dances around the ring, gets on the mic and says "Hello Texas? Are you ready to flip it over?" The fans cheer. Then Kane comes out and chokeslams him. End segment.

• Paid Members
More '98 Raw thoughts:

Pretty much every week they have a match featuring Taka Michinoku and it's always bloody great and he's suprisingly really over with the fans. It's usually a singles with Taka vs. some Mexican they've brought in that week or a tag match of Taka & Aguila vs. Brian Christopher & some Mexican. The matches have been really good and are a breath of fresh air from the rest of the matches on the show (which are usually muscle dudes kicking eachother in the face and piledrivers...not that there's anything wrong with that). Brian is a blast as "Too Sexy" and truly detestable, he also does incredbly brutal German Suplexes and an awesome sunset flip powerbomb off the ring apron which in one case Taka's head bounced off the concrete really badly. The matches are alot of fun, check them out on YouTube.

I didn't get that reaction with my 'Brian Christopher Appreciation Thread' a few months ago :(

Archived