OOOLD SCHOOOOL

IANdrewDiceClay

• Replies 607
  • Created
  • Last Reply

WWE RAW 08/03/1993

Interview with Hogan, Brutus and Jimmy Hart. Hart tells Money Inc that he knows all of their weaknesses and strengths. Hogan and Brutus are making big noises about winning the tag team titles before Hogan starts singing. Man has lost it I think.

Money Inc. vs. Virgil and El Matador

Virgil and Dibiase in the same ring with each other again? I want to see some of that! The match is actually really short. Either that or it was clipped. It certainly looked a bit suspicious at one point. Money Inc take a minor beating and then out of nowhere, IRS gets the Back Drop Suplex and that gets the three count.

Rick Martel heads for the ring now and he wants some of the RAW girl in the ring. He asks her to leave and that's it. Erm... okay then.

Tatanka vs. ???

Sounded like Bill Apollo but I'm not sure. He's gonna get a bit of a kicking here anyways. Apollo gets a wee bit of offense in there, but he looks absolutely horrible, and thankfully Tatanka comes back into the match pretty quickly. Tatanka puts us out of our misery with the Samoan Drop.

Rick Martel is back in the ring with the RAW girl and takes the sign and asks her to leave.

Papa Shango vs. Mike Edwards

Shango wastes no time in giving poor Edwards a bit of a brutal beating. I have to say, I kinda forgot Shango was a part of WWE around this time. After watching this, I kinda wish we were seeing more of him as he is great fun to watch. Shango winds up getting the win with his big Shoulderbreaker.

Bob Backlund vs. Tony DeMoro

Gotta love the amount of jobbers that WWE had at their disposal for some squash matches at this point. There's something very old fashioned feeling about the way Backlund wrestles here which I suppose is kinda the point and it's a breath of fresh air to the usual squash matches that you had on RAW around this time. Backlund gets a nice Half Nelson pinfall for a nice win to a pleasing little squash match.

Rob Bartlett interviews Rick Martel and he says that he has class, and says the ring girls have no class and neither does this building and the fans that are in it.

Rick Martel vs. Mr. Perfect

This is a match with some serious potential. The opening minutes of the match sees some top drawer reversals and technical wrestling. Especially from Martel who does some real nice stuff in there. In a very annoying thing, the match ends with the Perfect Plex... DURING the commercials. We come back to see Perfect walking to the back. What a load of shit. The match before the commercial break was excellent though and exactly what you expect from these two guys.

The show was inoffensive stuff. Two entertaining squash matches. The Backlund one in particular was a LOT of fun. The main event did my fucking head in with the ending, but other than that it was good. A decent episode of RAW, if a bit irrelevant.

Sounds about right actually.

WWE RAW 15/03/1993

We're finally out of the old arena because of the snow putting a "spanner in the works".

Razor Ramon vs. Russ Greenberg

Razor Ramon is SUPER over with this audience. Always loved the look of Razor's right hands. They look amazing. Ramon gives Greenberg a proper mauling here. In a nice spot, Ramon goes to the STF before letting go just to slap Greenberg around a bit. Ramon puts the poor kid out of his misery with the Razor's Edge. That was great fun.

Typhoon vs. L.A. Gore

I think it was supposed to be Bigelow vs. Typhoon on this show, so obviously Bigelow got stopped by the snow. Typhoon hits some of the weakest offense I've ever seen. Can we have Doink come out and start ripping his leg off again? Every move he does is with the least amount of snap. If this was deliberate, then the plan didn't work. Whatever it was. Typhoon wins the shitfest with the Big Splash.

Giant Gonzalez is out next with Harvey Whippleman as Heenan is going to be conducting an interview. They basically put Giant Gonzalez over as the scariest and most brutal WWE star ever by talking about what he has done before. We then go to Giant Gonzalez who says he has a giant surprise for The Undertaker.

Papa Shango vs. Bob Backlund

Papa Shango has such an aura about him. The fans don't seem to give a crap about Backlund here. I forgot how awkward Backlund looked on offense actually. There's a bit of a charm to it, but it doesn't help him to get over any. Shango dominates much of the match, but he gets caught with the Small Package and that's that. It was a fun wee match while it was on.

On the Wrestlemania report, we go to Yokozuna beating the crap right out of some jobber. We also have a promo from IRS and Ted Dibiase. There's gonna be a special briefcase made just for Hogan and Beefcake. Next up an interview with The Undertaker. The Undertaker says that Giant Gonzalez' nightmares will come true.

The Nasty Boys vs. The Headshrinkers

So we have our main event of the show. It feels weird watching the Nasties breaking out the arm offense. Any memory of them didn't include them being great strategists. The Headshrinkers hand out a beating to Saggs and it isn't nearly as much fun as I was hoping it was going to be. I was hoping for some Samoan madness! When Knobbs gets in there he's great to watch. In a good ending to the match, the two teams brawl to the back of the hall and it goes to a no contest. Well, with those two teams it makes sense, doesn't it? I suppose the match was alright. Good when the Nasties had control.

The episode of RAW was another meaningless amount of fun.

• Paid Members
Always loved the look of Razor's right hands. They look amazing.

Yep. Absolutely brilliant they were, he always looked as though he was genuinely and absolutely twatting his opponent. Just watching the WM 10 ladder match versus HBK, and Michaels sells them like a dream, too.

Just finished watching WWF US Rampage 91 and 92, not a bad set of Coliseum Home Video releases here in all honesty. 91 kicks off with Bulldog vs Mr Perfect which in all honesty was a bit shit really, certainly nowhere near as good as it could have been anyway, and this was when Coach had taken over as Perfect's manager. He was awful. Warlord and Texas Tornado were up next and they plundered about for 10 minutes, pretty boring again really. The tape kicks it up a notch when The Rockers and Big Bossman took on The Nasties and The Mountie, good fast paced action courtesy of the Rockers with a pretty decent finishing spot here too, The Rockers and Bossman picked up the victory after Shawn intercepted Jimmy Hart throwing the Helmet into the ring. There's a decent Power and Glory vs Orient Express match on the tape too, which was an odd dynamic at the time having an all heel match, sadly it finishes as it really gets going with that all familiar non-finish that was prevalent throughout most CHV releases. Haku vs Greg Valentine was plucked from UK Rampage 91 at random it seems, the match is as bad as it sounds on paper, but the UK crowd helps it out a lot. Ricky Steamboat's forgetable run as The Dragon is on here too, he takes on Smash in a so-so encounter, although there are several blown spots in that match, and also Animal from LOD taking on Paul Roma which was quick and harmless. Animal with a clean win via powerslam, no idea where the fuck Hawk was though, probably wasted somewhere. The tape finishes with Ultimate Warrior taking on the Undertaker, which if nothing else provides a great spectacle. Warrior kicks out of the tombstone here, would that make him the first person to do so? Taker gets fucked off with that and twats him with the Urn shortly after and gets the inevitable DQ. It must be said, the Mean Gean and Brain golfing skits are superb and probably the best thing on the tape.

• Paid Members

Just finished watching WWF US Rampage 91 and 92, not a bad set of Coliseum Home Video releases here in all honesty. 91 kicks off with Bulldog vs Mr Perfect which in all honesty was a bit shit really

Was this the one where Perfect went in to the match with an injured shoulder and asks Bulldog in the ring not to work on his arm, which Bulldog promptly did leading to Perfect screeching, "SON OF A.....BITCH!"? I remember that spot so vividly for some reason.

• Paid Members

Was this the one where Perfect went in to the match with an injured shoulder and asks Bulldog in the ring not to work on his arm, which Bulldog promptly did leading to Perfect screeching, "SON OF A.....BITCH!"? I remember that spot so vividly for some reason.

It is. You likely remember it vividly because its funny as fuck. Mooney and Al Hays are a little lost for words. It's also widely reported to be the match where Hennig fucked his back up taking his trademark turnbuckle flip bump, but he wrestled Smith on quite a few house shows after this one before taking time off hurt until SummerSlam, so there's no guarantee that it actually was this match.

• Paid Members

Thought so. I think their Mooney and Hayes' reaction was something like, "I believe he just said "son of a gun!" or something there!"I most probably saw it on that same video, almost certainly rented out from the local Co-Op. I think it might have been the same video where Hogan had a match against Dibiase and pins him despite the fact that Dibiase is trying frantically to kick out and brings up his shoulders about a dozen times during the 3 count.

Thought so. I think their Mooney and Hayes' reaction was something like, "I believe he just said "son of a gun!" or something there!"I most probably saw it on that same video, almost certainly rented out from the local Co-Op. I think it might have been the same video where Hogan had a match against Dibiase and pins him despite the fact that Dibiase is trying frantically to kick out and brings up his shoulders about a dozen times during the 3 count.

That Dibiase kicking out bit sounds familiar, but it wasn't on Rampage 91. It could well have been on one of the Hogan collections though. Hogan rarely features on any of the generic CHV collections, the only one I can think of off the top of my head is a match against a recently turned heel Tugboat, possibly Mega Matches or 1st Battle of The Superstars.Rampage 92 isn't too bad either, if a little bland. There's a ridiculous 40 man battle royal which features a shit load of jobbers in there and a painfully slow Razor Ramon vs Undertaker opener which seems to go on for an eternity. However, there is a decent IC title match between Bret Hart and Shawn Michaels here which is well worth checking out if you haven't seen it before, very crisp and smooth back and forth action in that one. Money Inc vs Tito and Virgil is decentish, taken from an episode of Prime Time, which I've previously reviewed in this very thread. The Legion of Doom with Paul Ellering vs The Beverleys with the Genius is worth a watch just to see the Genius' ring attire! Predictable result though... Tatanka and Rick Martel is ok, this was back when Tatanka was bearable, by mid 93 I was completely fed up with him though. Martel was so underrated though, he could work a watchable match with anyone. WWF title match on the tape features Savage vs Repo Man which isn't half bad to be fair, although Savage does all the work. The tape finishes with Ultimate Warrior and The Undertaker taking on The Bezerker and Papa Shango, which just like the main event of the 91 tape, is worth a watch for the spectacle alone. This Tagged Classic has been on offer on SilverVision for

Watched Survivor Series 1994 last night for what must've been the first time since it originally aired. It's one of the more forgotten WWF events of the 90s, so I figured it would probably be shite, but on the whole I was pleasantly surprised.Considering the participants, they couldn't really go wrong with the Teamsters v Bad Guys opener, and it proved to be as entertaining as expected. Diesel was rightfully put over huge and the split was perfectly done. Shawn Michaels back around that time was almost as much fun on the outside as he was in-ring.The Clown/King nonsense was utter shit obviously and outstayed it's welcome by about 15 minutes, but the King was still quite funny when making an arse of himself, and the midget kings at least looked comically ridiculous, especially the little Enis Burdette lookalike.The one thing I do remember more vividly was Hitman/Backlund which leads me to think i've maybe saw this match since, but I can't remember when. Obviously this one's well known for the divided opinions towards it, and my thoughts on it are definitely positive. A very good, well worked match, captivating story, interesting stip, and some good old soap opera shenanigans towards the end. Ok, in hindsight they could have shaved about 5 minutes off the end, and Owen was hamming it up pretty bad, but it all worked to keep Bret strong and put Owen over as an utter prick. The change in Backlunds character and whole style when he turned heel was quite remarkable. One thing I didn't remember was his funny, multi-pitched post-match promo.One thing about that match, I always thought it strange why they'd give the rub of winning the world title to a guy who would effectively be in retirement within a few months, instead of putting it on Owen himself, who would have benefitted from it. Has there ever been anything said about the circumstances of that match? for example, did they always intend the title for Backlund, or did they just decide Diesel was getting the title after Bret/Bob had already been announced, which provided an easy opportunity to shift the belts?I really enjoyed the Americans v Corporation too, which came as something of a surprise. Just about everyone managed to look good and get to shine. Even Mabel looked about the best he ever did as a babyface until he nearly killed himself taking a header into the floor. And Tatanka was never in for long enough to fully put you to sleep. The Gigolo Jimmy Del Ray is easily one of my favourite characters from that time, he's just great in his utter sleaziness.Last but not least, Undertaker/Yoko. Pretty decent also, although from reading a load of reviews, It's fair to say I'll probably be in the minority with that view. Regardless, it's a thumbs up from me for the decent work/story, a good decisive ending to a long feud, along with the Corporation/Chuck Norris/James E on the outside keeping things interesting. Yoko was severely underrated by the masses and workrate types imo.So aye, all in all it was pretty decent. The Texas/Western theme helped add to the atmosphere too, as well as the production, neat graphics etc. I doubt i'll sit through it again anytime soon, but it wasn't the worst Survivor Series.

• Paid Members

Hogan rarely features on any of the generic CHV collections, the only one I can think of off the top of my head is a match against a recently turned heel Tugboat, possibly Mega Matches or 1st Battle of The Superstars.

The match you think of is vs Typhoon on Invasion 1992. You are correct that Hogan matches on Coliseum tapings not intended for TV are thin on the ground, but there are some.Other Hulkarrific matches on Coliseum, for anyone that cares :Hogan & Beefcake VS Macho King & Zeus (Supertape) actually off the No Holds Barred PPV.Hogan & Beefcake VS Mr Perfect & Genuis (Supertape II) from one of the MSG closed circuit shows.Hogan VS Bossman cage match (Steel Cage Matches) actually from an MSG show.Hogan VS Perfect (WrestleFest 90) from MSG.Hogan & Tugboat VS Rythm & Blues (Greatest Hits) actually off Saturday Nights Main Event.Hogan VS Undertaker (Wrestlings Greatest Champions)Hogan & Warrior VS Sgt Slaughter, Gen Adnan & Undertaker (World Tour 91)Hogan & Piper VS Flair & Sid (Battle of the Superstars 92)That's all I can remember from the "generic" tapes, obviously not including his own profile tapes which I believe over here we got 5 of.Yes, I have mild OCD.

The one thing I do remember more vividly was Hitman/Backlund which leads me to think i've maybe saw this match since, but I can't remember when. Obviously this one's well known for the divided opinions towards it, and my thoughts on it are definitely positive. A very good, well worked match, captivating story, interesting stip, and some good old soap opera shenanigans towards the end. Ok, in hindsight they could have shaved about 5 minutes off the end, and Owen was hamming it up pretty bad, but it all worked to keep Bret strong and put Owen over as an utter prick.

I think those extra 5 mins served it well. The crossface got extra over, Owen got extra heel heet and Bret got sympathy for eventual comebackGotta admit tho I f'n love this show

The Gigolo Jimmy Del Ray is easily one of my favourite characters from that time, he's just great in his utter sleaziness.

ap%205.jpgHe looks like the kind of shit, bootleg Rick Rude tribute act you'd see on a matinee Butlins show in the mid 90s. You know the kind.

Archived