OOOLD SCHOOOOL

IANdrewDiceClay

• Replies 607
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Chris Jericho's theme that night really was amazing.

Couldn't get through the show. Most of it was decent, but knowing what was coming, I gave up before Savage/Giant got going. Wasn't a fan of Flair vs. Syxx. I thought when the Chinlockery got going, it was all downhill from there. Loved Flair using the chop to get out of any and all problems though.

I really liked Konnan/Rey. Thought Konnan came across as a right prick, and Rey sold the knee like an absolute trooper.

The rest, I almost have nothing to say about.

• Moderators

USWA! Loving it. How young is Corey Maclin here? What's the Driver Tony gimmick? Also, I didn't know Embry was still around as late as '92, I always thought he'd retired by then. Good to see good old Jeff Gaylord as well. The wrestler most mocked by me and my mates who read PWI in the '90s.

I always found it strange that I had much more interest, and could tell you a lot more about the indies when my only real exposure to them was Apter mags. I could have told you more about IWCCW in 1995, than I could about Evolve or something today. Even in 1998 I knew what Knuckles Nelson and Jimmy Cicero were up to, and now I don't know who's ROH Champion. Mental.

I've got a load of various B/C-Shows on my hard drive I should get around to doing.

• Paid Members

I'll do the next Nitro review soon, the first one took a good hour and a half to write so I've been putting it off, but as my boss has cancelled all jobs til Tuesday at the earliest, I have no excuse not to. I have all the Saturday Night's from 96 too, so might get round to some of those eventually.

WCW Nitro 10/03/1996

I decided to move onto March since forgetting which point of February I was actually at.

"Hacksaw" Jim Duggan vs. The Giant

I suppose there might be some intrigue as to how long that Jim Duggan lasts. Lets face it, he's not going to last very long. Great moment when Duggan attacks Giant from behind right away and Giant has a look of "don't make me do this". Of course, Giant then starts to get the motor running and gives Duggan a bit of a beating. Duggan gives this a really spirited go as I should have suspected he was going to do, and The Giant even needed the help of Jimmy Hart, but ultimately, The Giant took the win.

During the match, Brian Pillman was causing general shenanigans at ringside.

The Steiner Brothers vs. The Road Warriors

It was supposed to be The Nasty Boys taking on The Road Warriors, but the Nasties were laid out. As far as this match goes, I LOVED the opening stuff between Hawk and Scott, as it was just two big guys throwing big bombs at each other. Animal and Rick didn't do much to let the side down either. There was a magnificent exchange near the end when the Steiners attempted the Doomsday Device, and everyone winded up landing Flying Clotheslines on everyone else. Anyways, this was a terrific power tag match, ended with a cheap weapon shot from Animal.

The Steiner Brothers are not amused. This is NOT over.

Lex Luger © vs. Alex Wright - WCW Television Championship

Lex Luger has a LOT going for him, as he now has two title belts. Alex Wright has nothing going for him as he is now facing Lex Luger. Alex Wright gives this a go. He throws his cruiserweight moves, but Luger uses his experience to turn the momentum whenever he is in serious trouble for the most part. I didn't like that Luger needed to cheat or needed Jimmy Hart because although he's a heel, he's Lex Luger. He shouldn't be having trouble with Alex Wright. He did use the help of Jimmy Hart though, even if he didn't want it.

Ric Flair, Arn Anderson and The Taskmaster vs. The Booty Man, Hulk Hogan and Randy Savage - Lumberjack Strap Match

This is absolute chaos right from the word go. Basically the guys on the outside mean real trouble for the guys in the ring, mostly the heels as they don't want any of this match. As if we need more chaos, we have Kimberly at the top of the aisle with a bunch of flowers. We have carnage on the floor when Hogan gets sent out. This is a nightmare to keep up with, but admittedly, this is GREAT fun. Hogan and Flair have the focal point of this match, and it's with them that is where it ends with Hogan getting the Leg Drop on Flair and getting the pin. Chaotic fun stuff here.

We now have Mean Gene in the ring with Ric Flair, The Taskmaster and Arn Anderson. They're absolutely LIVID about losing that match and promise that it's going to be different at Uncensored, and we're out of time.

WCW Nitro 18/03/1996

This is the final show before WCW Uncensored, and we open that with The Giant and Loch Ness doing battle on the aisle. Well, I say they're doing battle, but it's mainly just Lex Luger giving Loch Ness a pure beating. This doesn't stop Lex Luger from doing his posing with fireworks. :laugh:

Lex Luger © vs. Loch Ness - WCW Television Championship

This match ends with Lex Luger winning by count out. So umm ... yeah. I can't really argue with being saved from watching a Loch Ness match. Lex Luger is proud of his victory.

Lex Luger heads up to the announce table and says that he's on a roll. He has no problems with taking that win. Nor should he. Who would want to face Loch Ness ?

We now have Tony Schiavone and he has an interview with Hulk Hogan and Randy Savage. They talk about getting into the Doomsday Device against the odds at Uncensored. There's a Texas Tornado Match going on tonight, but we don't get much details on that.

Public Enemy vs. The Steiner Brothers

Public Enemy have a table at ringside with them, which forebodes some major trouble for someone at the end of this one. This isn't quite the barrel of awesome that we seen the previous week from the Steiners, but we do get some right fun. The Steiners are dominant as hell in this match untill Public Enemy bring chairs into the match and things turn a wee bit. Public Enemy bore the balls off when they're in control, but the Steiners are great fun. The win comes when The Steiners get their Doomsday Bulldog after one of P.E. send themselves through a table.

Arn Anderson vs. The Booty Man

Arn Anderson is made to look like a monumental idiot in this match which I can't say I was too happy with. Of course, they manage to cancel that out somewhat by making him outsmart The Booty Man later in the match. It's a lively match, but it's mainly lots of nothing going on. Kimberly heads for the ring and Woman isn't happy with that. The Booty Man went out and got attacked from behind, but that only served to ANGER Booty Man who landed a big knee for the win. I suppose that's a rather good way to end a match.

The Nasty Boys vs. The Road Warriors

The Nasty Boys are all taped up and bandaged up after the attack from last week, but they are also fired up as well, unloading everything on The Road Warriors. Massive brawl going on between these two teams. They go to a break and when they come back, the chaos is still going on. The Steiners stick their oar into the battle and decide they want a piece of both teams, and that give the distraction for the cheap shot with a weapon for Animal to get the win. That was a fun brawl.

Kevin Sullivan and Ric Flair vs. Hulk Hogan and Randy Savage - Texas Tornado Match

Much like last time out, the battle between Ric Flair and Hulk Hogan seems to be the focal point. The chaos is here from last week as well, except not QUITE as chaotic thanks to not as many guys being involved in the match. Doesn't appear to be making things any less fun though. This match kinda went downhill though as much like the Booty Man/Anderson battle earlier, this match seen lots of nothing going on. On a side note, I'm fucking suck of hearing about "the history of our sport". Stick the history of our sport up yer arse. The match ends up going to a no contest as the match turns into absolute chaos.

Brian Pillman, The Taskmaster and Arn Anderson are all out there and a big brawl is going on. The Booty Man hits the ring. Anderson is now waving people out to the ring and here comes Zeus. There's another massive cunt that I don't know. Hogan, Booty and Savage decide to get out of the ring. Tony Schiavone gets into the ring to talk to the madness. The Taskmaster has played his trump cards. Basically, the rest of the people in the ring boast about their new partners and how the match is going to end on Sunday. End to that !

• Paid Members

They had a nice little varied tag division around that time, Steiner Brothers, LOD, Nasty Boys, Public Enemy, Harlem Heat, Luger and Sting. When I was watching Nitros from that time a while back, the weekly tag match between one of those was one of best features.

USWA! Loving it. How young is Corey Maclin here? What's the Driver Tony gimmick? Also, I didn't know Embry was still around as late as '92, I always thought he'd retired by then. Good to see good old Jeff Gaylord as well. The wrestler most mocked by me and my mates who read PWI in the '90s.

The Driver Tony gimmick is Falk as a chauffeur. He seemed to have several different gimmicks in the CWA/Memphis/USWA most famously the Boy Tony gimmick, which was his take on Boy George, complete with offering make up and cleansing tips! Embry is great in this time period, a tremendous interview and comes across as a real sleazy bastard. I think I write about it in one of the upcoming reviews, but his valet CJ disappears without trace, and talk is that she quit the promotion after claiming Embry sexually assaulted her. I have always like 'Dirty White Boy' Tony Anthony, although I think that has a lot to do with the fact that his valet Kim is up there in my favourite all time women in wrestling, and looks every bit the Dirty White Girl.

11th January 1992

Cory Maclin is flying solo this week as Dave Brown has the day off. Not even two minutes in and we are already heading for our first ad break.

Highlights of the Brian Christopher vs Tony Williams boxing clash form the Mid-South Coliseum opens the show. Christopher is still showing subtle heel traits, first by wearing amateur head gear, then by kicking Williams whilst he is already on the canvas, and finally hitting his man before he fully gets to his feet. The last shot was the knockout blow, and Williams fails to beat the 10 count and Christopher is declared the winner.

Back in the studio Christopher said he did what he said he

WCW Uncensored 1996

Konnan © vs. Eddie Guerrero - WCW United States Championship

I hate when guys do stupid little bits of gymnastics for no reason. Case in point ? Eddie stretching the legs of Konnan and then doing a headstand. Why ? It does no good whatsoever. The opening minutes of mat based stuff was quite good for the most part though. The stalemate before the heated exchanges are BRILLIANT as both men really up the tempo. I have to say, even after the exchange of reversals at the start, there's still some cool as fuck counters in this match. Stuff that even if you seen it now, you'd be thinking "cool". The match got a bit messy but they recovered things pretty well and turned it into a good outing. Konnan wins with an unintentional low blow.

"Lord" Steven Regal vs. Fit Finlay

This is a match that I've heard a lot of things about. Apparently it's quite brutal so I'm looking forward to seeing it. Sure enough, they completely maul each other right from the word go. They settle things down a bit after a while, but now and again they brutalise each other in great ways just to make sure you're still awake. Well worth noting are the kicks, especially Finlay's kicks to the back. This is a brutal and physical match here. Nothing fancy and no great mat wrestling or anything. Just two guys kicking the shit out of each other for close to 20 minutes. Who can complain about that ? Finlay wins via DQ when the Blue Bloods come down.

Col. Robert Parker vs. Madusa

We go from a match that I want to see to a match which I have no desire at all to see. I'm a trooper though and I will battle through. Okay, credit where it's due, I actually really enjoyed this. Not a great match obviously, but it was fun and it was kept short enough so as it didn't overstay it's welcome. A couple of quite good exchanges in there too. 3 for 3 for enjoyable matches! Parker gets the win when Dick Slater breaks the German Suplex from Madusa and Parker gets a pin.

Diamond Dallas Page vs. The Booty Man

Basically, this is a last chance match for DDP to get Kimberly back and also to save his career. Wasn't a fan of the early stalling from DDP, but it can be forgiven as he was REALLY getting under the skins of the fans with it. I thought The Booty Man got WAAAAAY too much offense in the early part of this match. Although you could make an arguement that it was very satisfying seeing DDP get such a brutal beating after all of his antics at the very start of the match, and it's not as if he didn't get a good spell in the match. Ah well, I suppose I can live with it even if it was Chinlockery 101. Boring as fuck match though. Booty wins with a high knee after help from DDP.

Loch Ness vs. The Giant

Loch Ness uses the music that Dean Malenko would wind up using. Could they have gotten two guys any different to use that theme music ? This was absolutely shit as I suspected it would be. Nothing else to say other than The Giant won with a Leg Drop.

The Road Warriors vs. Sting and Booker T., Chicago Street Fight

I love how Lex Luger got Sting into this match and then wasn't even in it. That sums up the awesome of Luger around this time. At least they gave the match a real sense of chaos. The action didn't really seem to be up to much early, but with the split screen and the fighting around the ring area, we didn't really have a chance to digest how boring the action was. To the credit of the four guys in the match, they gave this match the feeling of a chaotic fight much like Regal and Finlay, but these two teams didn't have the same brutality and sense of urgency, and it was actually quite boring and too long at times. Sting and Booker win when Stevie Ray uses a chair.

The Alliance to End Hulkamania vs. Hulk Hogan and Randy Savage, Doomsday Cage Match

I have heard some proper horror stories about how bad this match is. Even in the first cage, you can tell how dreadful the match is going to be. I have never seen so much nothing going on in a wrestling match before. I actually couldn't finish watching the match. I ended up skipping to the end. It was just endless punching for the first 15 minutes, I got fed up in a big way. A horrible match.

USWA TV 18th January 1992

Dave Brown is back with Cory Maclin on commentary this week, and immediately we are shown footage of a spot show from Kennet, MO last night. It is another in the continuation of Fuller & Jarrett vs Moondogs brawls, but this feud has been the best thing on the show for the past couple of weeks. Lawler comes out to help the Fuller and Jarrett team, and Fuller just disappears to the back. This is an awesome, wild brawl in the same vain as the original concession stand brawl between Latham & Ferris and Lawler & Dundee, seriously you need to try and catch this if you can. They show a good 10 minutes of footage and it is tremendous stuff.

(fortunately our good friends at youtube have put this online http://youtube.com/watch?v=BYpqc7qRq5c)

Robert Fuller comes out and says Richard Lee hit him in the back of the head at Kennet which resulted in him leaving the brawl early. He says he is now going to take Richard Lee out, and he better watch his back as he is coming for him.

Robert Fuller vs J.R.Alzado

Fuller wins a squash after a suplex followed by three elbow drops.

David Webb conducts an interview with Koko.B.Ware who now has a shot at the Unified title held by Kamala. He is talking in jive again, but doesn

Archived