OOOLD SCHOOOOL

IANdrewDiceClay

WWF Prime Time Wrestling

9th March 1992

We start with the roundtable discussion panel hosted by Vince Mcmahon and this weeks guests are Slick, Bobby Heenan, Mr Perfect and Gorilla Monsoon. The main subject this week is all about Ric Flair claiming to reveal to the world nudey pictures of Elizabeth. It's also the run in for Wrestlemania 8 so we're expecting an eventful show to say the least.

The first match this week is Big Bossman and Virgil vs The Beverley Bros. Bossman and Virgil are OVER. The Genius fucks up during his poem skit and subsequently looks like a cunt. First 5 minutes of this one are Virgil throwing some awful looking drop kicks and then Bossman going to work on both of the Beverleys before they turn the tide and have a few minutes of offence and cheap heat tactics behind the refs back. Finish comes on the 10 minute mark when the Genius nicks Bossmans nightstick and chucks it into the ring for one of the Beveleys, but it's intercepted by Bossman who end ups twatting both of them with it, and gets the DQ decision in his favour as well! Not a bad start in all honesty.

Next we have a Skinner squash match. Skinner was a hard watch as a kid, his matches haven't improved with time either, lots of sloppy offence before a rather timid looking shoulderbreaker followed by the match winning gator breaker. I think he'd been in the company about 6 months at this point and Lord Alfred Hayes twice referred to his offense as 'Vintage Skinner' so maybe we have an answer to Michael Cole's catchphrase right here. Incidentally, Hayes makes Booker T sound like Jim Ross circa 1990-92 he was that bad.

We're back in the studio with Vince and the lads and they're discussing the Jake vs Taker matchup at Wrestlemania. The heels naturally are backing Jack, Gorilla states Takers case and Slick contributes nothing. We then go to a video package highlighting Takers face turn and Jake shutting Takers hand in the casket, followed by a ddt on Paul Bearer, on last weeks funeral parlour. The crowd were in tears as Jake continued to level Taker with chair shot after chair shot as taker pulled the casket behind him down the aisle. Absolutely cracking angle, I don't think I've ever seen it in full before, the crowd made it no doubt but Jake's facial expressions made him look genuinely mad. Hard to imagine he'd be out of the company shortly after the PPV.

Money Inc squash match time, versus Jim Powers and some fat dude. IRS starts off working over Powers right arm before big Jim reverses it and throws in a few clotheslines and a dropkick. He then re-applies the arm bar and tags in fat dude, who promptly loses control of the arm bar and Dibiase tags in, applies the Million Dollar Dream and then tags IRS back in to hit the match winning fallaway slam. Match lasted about 3 minutes.

Feature Match number 2 now, Warlord taking on the upcoming Chris Walker from MSG. The crowd are shitting on Walker from the start and he spends a good 8 minutes having the shit kicked out of him by the Warlord, before finally making a babyface comeback, which includes a flying ax-handle from each turnbuckle, which was met by further booing from the New Yorkers. He then attempts a frankensteiner but is countered by the Warlord for a match winning and pretty sweet looking powerbomb for the victory. Must have surely been one of the Warlord's last appearances for the company here.

Back in the studio Vince is now talking about the Hogan Sid match coming up at Mania in a few weeks time. Awesome little promo video for Sid and his heel turn, followed by a promo from the Hulkster with Mean Gene, he promises victory at Mania and says the match will be just like performing the 'back stroke in the Venice Beach sea' like he did as a little Hulkster. Back in the studio Heenan predictably says Hogan will sink against Big Sid.

Next up, A Tito Santana squash match, Tito is really over here too, but his match winning flying forearm looks shit here, catching the jobber on the back of the neck whilst he was trying to get up off the canvas. Flat finish to a wrestler I've never really found to be interesting his entire career. HBK appears in the corner of the screen aftwerwards telling Matador he will be taking the W at Mania.

Feature Match number 3 is Roddy Piper and The Bushwhackers vs The Mountie and The Nasty Boys. The crowd is hot for this one, the action however is not. It's the Bushwhackers who were the absolute shits. It's Battering Ram after Battering Ram and the crowd are lapping it up to be fair, but inevitably all 6 men eventually end up in the ring together at around the 13 minute mark, which gives the ref a problem, The Mountie uses the shock stick on Luke and dumps Sags on top of him to steal the victory. Piper isn't taking the defeat lightly though and goes after all 3 of his opponents with the IC Belt, nailing all of them and narrowly missing The Mouth of The South too. Piper celebrates with the Bushwhackers and the Ic Title to close off the match.

Bret Hart squash next, lasts approx 48 seconds, ends with a sharpshooter and Piper appearing in the little video in the corner of the screen telling us '' HE'S TOO LEGIT TO QUIT!''

Bobby Heenan and Mr Perfect are having a laugh in the studio with the Flair and Liz pictures from the WWF Magazine, Vince and Slick are not happy, whilst Monsoon actually stands up and threatens the Brain before he finally stops the goading. Classic WWF at it's best here, Vince informs us that Owen Hart vs Hercules will be up after the break. First advert features Lord Alfred Hayes shilling the Double Dragon game coming out on Gameboy, it's looks shite to be fair.

Owen Hart and Hercules work probably the best match of the evening, again this must have been one of Hercules' last televised outings for the company, and he uses his strength to gain the upper hand early in this one, throwing Owen around like a rag doll and doing all the Heel posing, like a good heel should do. Owen works his way back into the match with his superior speed, before eventually hitting a smooth flying body press from the top rope for the victory. Owen vs Skinner was announced by Mean Gene shortly after the match as having been signed for Mania.

The show closes with two back to back squashes, the first featuring the freshly turned face team of the Natural Disasters against the Avery Brothers, Bob and Brad. The match goes sub 3 minutes, when Typhoon hits a splash for the victory. Post match Earthquake splash to the other Avery bloke, followed by Earthquake predicting that they would be the new tag champs at Mania.

Repo Man beat Jim Brunzell in the final match of the evening, a bit like Skinner, I always found Repo hard to watch with his sluggish and bland offense. He eventually wins with a sloppy side walk slam, which concludes the in ring action for this week.

Final studio segment ends with the Brain promising more pics of Flair and Liz next week and Gorilla chasing him out of the studio whilst Vince holds Slick and Perfect apart and shouting see ya next week!

• Replies 607
  • Created
  • Last Reply
That was a damn fun PPV.

It was. I don't think it's generally very highly thought of, but I've always had a soft spot for it. Great undercard, and I even liked the Rumble match too. Lacking a bit in name-value for sure, but it was nice and colourful with a surprise winner, plenty of sub-stories, some neat eliminations, and decent action.

I can't imagine Savage would have been too happy at being made to look like a moron though. I would've figured that someone of his stature would at least have some creative input to their matches.

Never mind the bad business, 1993 was a cracking time in the WWF for me. What with the start of RAW, along with stuff like the rise of the Hitman, guys like HBK, Jannetty, Bam Bam and Doink being awesome, a great tag division later in the year, loads of new faces, and decent main events on Challenge/Superstars becoming more common, there wasn't much I didn't like about the WWF in 1993.

• Paid Members
Never mind the bad business, 1993 was a cracking time in the WWF for me. What with the start of RAW, along with stuff like the rise of the Hitman, guys like HBK, Jannetty, Bam Bam and Doink being awesome, a great tag division later in the year, loads of new faces, and decent main events on Challenge/Superstars becoming more common, there wasn't much I didn't like about the WWF in 1993.

1993 was when we first had Sky at home and so was when I started watching the product on a weekly basis. I can't argue with you there.

• Paid Members

Two of those matches ended up on Coliseum tapes. This makes me happy.

Tito is really over here too, but his match winning flying forearm looks shit here, catching the jobber on the back of the neck whilst he was trying to get up off the canvas.

It wouldnt have been the flying forearm then, but El Passo Del Muerte, Tito's primary finish as El Matador. Often referred to by The Brain as "El Passo the Salsa."

That was a damn fun PPV.

It was. I don't think it's generally very highly thought of, but I've always had a soft spot for it. Great undercard, and I even liked the Rumble match too. Lacking a bit in name-value for sure, but it was nice and colourful with a surprise winner, plenty of sub-stories, some neat eliminations, and decent action.

Not sure about PLENTY of sub-stories. About 20 minutes of the match had fuck all going for it. :( Really was a chore to get through, but then big Yoko turned up and all was forgiven.

That was a damn fun PPV.

Not sure about PLENTY of sub-stories. About 20 minutes of the match had fuck all going for it. :( Really was a chore to get through, but then big Yoko turned up and all was forgiven.

Well there was enough going on to keep me amused for an hour or so. Perfect/Flair, Taker/Gonzalez, Yoko/Quake, the Natural Disasters battling, Money Inc and Nasties continuing their feud, Backlund in the Dibiase/Hammer/Model spot, Perfect/King (shame we never got a match or feud out of that) as well as some minor nods to past feuds like Virgil/Dibiase, Martel/Santana, Taker/Berzerker, and plenty of insignificant little touches that I quite liked - Lawler and Flair going at it, The King shitting himself on meeting the Undertaker etc etc.

It wasn't 1992, but considering the lack of real stars in it, they made it pretty entertaining and it could've been a lot worse imo.

The Natural Disasters thing didn't last long and it just kinda happened all of a sudden. I didn't even realise what was going on untill Typhoon was out. Money Inc vs. Nasties wasn't capitalised on enough either. They always went and just did other things, and that exact same thing can be said for Dibiase/Virgil and Taker/Bezerker. The most baffling of all was Martel/Santana which felt like they were gonna go mental on each other, and then just forgot what the hell was going on.

Is Adam Bomb not on the DVD at all? I watched a shoot interview with him the other day. He's hilariously bitter, and a twat.

I can't imagine Savage would have been too happy at being made to look like a moron though. I would've figured that someone of his stature would at least have some creative input to their matches.

I'm pretty sure he sat down in about 1988 and wrote a list of "stupid ways I can be eliminated from the Royal Rumble." He got through a fair few on the list as well, the idiot.

• Paid Members
Just watched that Best of RAW 1993 dvd WWE put out.

Doink was on form wasn't he. Wanted to see Adam Bomb though :(.

Doink!!! Heel fucking Doink. I absolutely love Doink from his debut up to his face turn, he is absolutely smashing. When you think about it Doink was a fascinating and absolutely terrifying character. A lot of people seemingly cannot get over the idea of a wrestling clown but the concept was performed to sheer genius from Matt Borne. Borne played the role to absolute perfection, like any good actor portraying a role, he had all the great facial expressions and mannerisms that made Doink such a complex to watch. His run is brilliant from the offset. It begins in a lovely slow burn with the un-named clown appearing in the crowd on Superstars/Challenge around October '92 and he does nothing really to gain anyone's attention for about two months, yet the small references from the commentators make you remember him and question just what the fuck this clown is doing. Then he begins playing tricks on both faces and heels, though predominantly faces. Then he kabongs Crush with the 'LED' (thanks Macho) arm and BANG were in business.

The commentators did a perfect job for Doink, Bobby Heenan in particular seemed to fucking love Doink and would goes arse over tit to hype how mental the character was. Heenan would say cryptic things like "I'm sure I know him" and made constant references to Doink's facial expressions. Psychologically Doink was like Goldust. Wrestlers were aware of how odd Goldust was and Vince McMahon made reference to how Goldust used 'mind games' i.e., exploiting a homophobic slant to gain the advantage on his opponents. Doink was the same. He iss a bloody clown for christ sake, BUT, a clown the can actually wrestle and out wrestle opponents. The psychological aspect of wrestling a man in a clown costume knowing he had the ability to do all sorts of stuff works a treat.

He had some cracking matches in 1993 as well. The feud with Crush, the trilogy with Curt Hennig and a lovely match with Marty Jannetty. Doink was one of the best things in wrestling in 1993, and he was a clown.

Just watched that Best of RAW 1993 dvd WWE put out.

Doink was on form wasn't he. Wanted to see Adam Bomb though :(.

Doink!!! Heel fucking Doink. I absolutely love Doink from his debut up to his face turn, he is absolutely smashing. When you think about it Doink was a fascinating and absolutely terrifying character. A lot of people seemingly cannot get over the idea of a wrestling clown but the concept was performed to sheer genius from Matt Borne. Borne played the role to absolute perfection, like any good actor portraying a role, he had all the great facial expressions and mannerisms that made Doink such a complex to watch. His run is brilliant from the offset. It begins in a lovely slow burn with the un-named clown appearing in the crowd on Superstars/Challenge around October '92 and he does nothing really to gain anyone's attention for about two months, yet the small references from the commentators make you remember him and question just what the fuck this clown is doing. Then he begins playing tricks on both faces and heels, though predominantly faces. Then he kabongs Crush with the 'LED' (thanks Macho) arm and BANG were in business.

The commentators did a perfect job for Doink, Bobby Heenan in particular seemed to fucking love Doink and would goes arse over tit to hype how mental the character was. Heenan would say cryptic things like "I'm sure I know him" and made constant references to Doink's facial expressions. Psychologically Doink was like Goldust. Wrestlers were aware of how odd Goldust was and Vince McMahon made reference to how Goldust used 'mind games' i.e., exploiting a homophobic slant to gain the advantage on his opponents. Doink was the same. He iss a bloody clown for christ sake, BUT, a clown the can actually wrestle and out wrestle opponents. The psychological aspect of wrestling a man in a clown costume knowing he had the ability to do all sorts of stuff works a treat.

He had some cracking matches in 1993 as well. The feud with Crush, the trilogy with Curt Hennig and a lovely match with Marty Jannetty. Doink was one of the best things in wrestling in 1993, and he was a clown.

Indeed. Actually, I'm sure it was on one of the early incarnations of these 'Old School' threads where someone started off with a good post on Doink, also focussing a bit on his always-awesome squashes, and including some youtube links. I always remembered it was a good read over a few posts, especially as I agreed completely with it, and IIRC there was also some well-deserved Waylon Mercy love in amongst it

Such a shame his run was so short lived.

Two of those matches ended up on Coliseum tapes. This makes me happy.

Tito is really over here too, but his match winning flying forearm looks shit here, catching the jobber on the back of the neck whilst he was trying to get up off the canvas.

It wouldnt have been the flying forearm then, but El Passo Del Muerte, Tito's primary finish as El Matador. Often referred to by The Brain as "El Passo the Salsa."

The flying forearm was the call from the historic duo of Mooney and Hayes. But, yes you are indeed correct on that call.

Was it the two tag matches that made the Coliseum tapes?

Chris Walker was a strange one, he was like a hybrid of Kerry Von Erich and Ultimate Warrior in actual appearance, but he managed to actual move and wrestle like one of those create-a-wrestlers from the early Smackdown games, he was awful.

I've watched a couple more shows since this one and he's now disappeared without trace, thankfully. I'll put some more reviews up during the week.

It was JLM who made a fantastic post on Heel Doink, quite right too, as others have mentioned he was one of the best things in Wrestling in 1993.

I just remember WM9 match with crush how awesome of an angle to have another doink come out, the crowds reaction said it all. Then an clever spot, another ref came down to try and show the ref who got knocked down that they was another doink under the ring. awesome.

WWE RAW 25/01/1993

This is a massive episode of RAW, as Savage gets his hands on The Repo Man, while Perfect and Flair settle it all, with the loser leaving WWE for good.

Repo Man vs. "Macho Man" Randy Savage

Savage shows his anger by not even waiting for an entrance and pure blindsiding Repo Man and laying a badass beating on him. Repo Man needs to get desperate to even get a sniff. He does see quite a bit of offense after using some trickery against the sheer anger of Savage earlier on, and it made sense for him to really slow things down to stop the momentum of Savage. Savage then all of a sudden gets a slam and Flying Elbow for the win and it seems like it's out of nowhere. The match was okay with an abrupt ending.

Kamala vs. Brooklyn Brawler

YASS!!! This match starts as a fun squash, but winds up being a complete crock of shit. Yeah, the fans have embraced Kamala. We get it. So now he has to listen to the fans to learn how to pin. Well done. Fuck this shit.

Vince McMahon is ringside with Slick and Kamala. Slick says the fans deserve the credit for the conversion of Kamala. FUCK those fans.

Ric Flair vs. Mr. Perfect - Loser Leaves Town Match

This is by far the biggest match to have happened on RAW to that point. Great moment before the match when Perfect does his wee towel toss and the ref tries to catch it and it just goes flying over his head. :laugh: Nae luck pal. Perfect dominates the early going with nice reversals and mind games. Flair eventually cheats his way into the match. Well, I'll assume he did, since we missed how he did it. We wind up moving into a cracker of a two sided battle filled with counters and big hitting, and even some blood from Perfect. Perfect eventually wins this one with the Perfect Plex.

Well, it was a two match show basically. But the one of the two matches was a fun heated brawl and the other was an absolute cracker of a match.

Archived