OOOLD SCHOOOOL

IANdrewDiceClay

Yeah stellar work Ian, choked on my cornflakes. No holds barred is so comfortingly 80's. Your right about who its intended audience was, I can remember watching it as a kid, was the first time I heard the phrase getting laid had no idea what they were talking about.

• Replies 607
  • Created
  • Last Reply

First off, kudos to Ian for that belting review. Reading through it all and seeing the pictures just kinda brought so much of it to life for me. That double axe handle in particular.

Secondly, I agree that Hogan is brilliant. I didn't appreciate him enough untill the last couple of years and watched a whole host of TV and MSG matches involving him, and almost every one is great. I've actually lost cynicism over the years with a lot of guys and Hogan is one of them.

Anyways...

WWE RAW 10/05/1993

We open with footage from earlier in which Mr. Perfect lays a beatdown on HBK outside the arena and launches him onto a car. You can't keep an HBK down though and he gets tore in as well. The security finally manage to stop the madness.

Bam Bam Bigelow vs. Typhoon - King of the Ring Qualifying Match

Aye, that was what I needed after that total nothing episode. A match between my two least favourite big men of around this time. The match starts off a lot of fun actually with both men showing a lot of power, throwing and charging each other about a bit before Bigelow smashes Typhoon's head into the ringpost a few times. That'll be where Austin got the idea from against Angle then! Clearly watching his Bigelow tapes. Bigelow wins an actual fun match with the Falling Headbutt off the top. THAT'S more like it from these guys. Knew they had it in them!

Yokozuna vs. PJ Walker

This isn't going to end well for Walker, is it? Yokozuna has to be my favourite guy for squash matches around this time. Walker is a bit more cautious than the usual Yokozuna opponent. Which doesn't appear to do him any good for what it's worth. A guy Yokozuna's size doing these moves just never gets old. Favourite moment of the match has to be the "get the fuck into the corner" One Handed Irish Whip followed by a horrendous chop. Yoko wins with the Banzai Drop in a highly entertaining squash match.

Mr. Perfect vs. "Iron" Mike Sharpe

The RAW girl stays in the ring and gets the chewing gum put in her mouth and she likes and chews it. OH FUCK OFF!!! Sharpe appears to want none of Perfect, but Perfect seems to be an angry man after the HBK altercation and wants ALL of Sharpe. There's a cracking exchange in the match where both guys unload on each other, so Perfect just blatantly boots him right in the balls. Sharpe is a tough customer here and comes across well as a plucky never say die jobber. Perfect does get the better of it though with the Perfect Plex. Another entertaining match here.

The Cannonball Kid vs. Mr. Hughes

This marks the second name that Waltman had used on RAW to this point. Different name, same badass arse kicking coming. Hughes is a particularly nasty piece of work here. Big Slam gets the win for Hughes in a purely routine squash match. It was alright I suppose.

Shawn Michaels © vs. "Hacksaw" Jim Duggan, Lumberjack Match - WWE Intercontinental Championship

Duggan is a bit put off by the fact that Yokozuna is one of the lumberjacks. HBK says he's injured. Perfect throws HBK into the ring and puts an end to that charade. Duggan takes what appears to be years of frustration out on HBK with a hell of a beating. After a LOOOOOOONG beatdown, HBK tries to do a runner, but the lumberjacks stop him, and we get more of the same from that point untill Duggan misses a Knee Drop. HBK even uses a desperate boot shot to the face to keep him down. Duggan eventually hits the Three Point Stance and HBK winds up falling to the floor. He gets back in and then Yokozuna lands a Leg Drop on the floor. Duggan is rolled into the ring and HBK with the mock pin but Perfect gets in and it's a DQ. A pretty decent main event.

Post-match we get a massive brawl between the lumberjacks. Duggan clears the ring with the 2x4.

That was actually a damn fun episode of RAW.

WWE RAW 17/05/1993

We go to the footage of last week when Perfect and HBK went postal on each other. We now cut to the current week and Lord Alfred Hayes says we're gonna be surprised by who faces HBK.

The Smoking Gunns vs. Glen Ruth and Tony Vejoa

The Fink is about to announce the jobbers, but the Gunns do some shooting and Fink does a runner. :laugh: Everything Billy does is with a lot of snap. He's actually enthusiastic as hell out there and is right into things. Bart Gunn looks like a zombie in comparison and barely spends more than five seconds in the ring. After a Billy Gunn led beating, the Gunns land a BACK BODY DROP INTO A PILEDRIVER?! FUCKING HELL!!! Aye, that murders Ruth and takes the win. Good squash thanks to Billy Gunn, and that finish was unreal.

Vince McMahon is in the ring now and brings out Shawn Michaels. McMahon wants to know what HBK said about Perfect to draw an attack. HBK says we'll get to that and says he's a man of word. Everything he has said he would do, he has done. He then says he told everyone he was better than Mr. Perfect. HBK takes offense to being called a "reluctant fighting champion". He says he'll defend the title against anybody. Somebody walks into the ring and it turns out to be Marty Jannetty. HBK seems to be backed into a corner by the challenge of Marty Jannetty. Jannetty only gets a shot if he has his gear. He has it backstage, so HBK defends the belt.

Razor Ramon vs. The Kid

This marks the third name that Waltman has had in his RAW run. Savage even brings up the constant name changes. Something tells me that he's going to be remembered for this name though. The Kid gets the win at the end of a beating with the Moonsault Press, and the place completely loses it's shit. I mean COMPLETELY loses it. You see fans holding their heads in their hands in disbelief. Absolutely amazing moment.

Tatanka vs. Scott Taylor

Tatanka give us a pretty violent signal of intent with a nasty Clothesline. Taylor tries ducking some offense and takes one of Tatanka's nastier chops as a result. The majority of the match is Taylor getting rag dolled. Which is fun. Samoan Drop. DONE!

Kamala vs. Yokozuna

Kamala nearly taking Yoko down at the start gets the fans all excited, but then Yoko puts a stop to that nonsense with a thrust to the throat. Nothing else much of note happens in the match, and Yoko with the Banzai Drop ends up getting something of a routine win after a dodgy start. Ah well.

Shawn Michaels

• Paid Members

On the No Holds Barred front, if you've got access to the US Netflix, it's currently showing Knocked The F Out, which is basically a violent version of You've Been Framed, hosted by Zeus, now aged 53.

WWE RAW 24/05/1993

Getting through this at a decent rate now.

Doink the Clown vs. Mr. Perfect - King of the Ring Qualifying Match

Doink catches Perfect jumping into the ring right off the bat and takes control of the match quick stat. Lots of use of the towel early from both men as well. Good start to the match. They then show us that while Doink is a good wrestler, Perfect might well be even better, and Doink has to go to other tactics to try and get the better of him. Whenever Doink tries to go to the holds, Perfect appears to find a way back into the match. Belting moment when Doink kicks out of pinfalls and just gets slapped down for more. Another Doink comes down but gets caught with the Perfect Plex and it's done. That was an absolutely incredible wrestling match right there, and I love that ending there.

After the match, Crush comes into the ring and lays on a beating. So that fued is still going on then? Clothesline knocks down one and then Crush slams another and the Doinks are run out of town here.

Before the next match, Ted Dibiase says that NYC people are always looking for a quick buck and offer a fan a chance to make a quick hundred bucks. IRS takes off tax and the kid ends up with thirty. :laugh: Quality.

Money Inc. vs. Tony Devito and Mike Bell

Money Inc. squash matches aren't exactly the most entertaining of matches which is a shame, because they are a quality team. This match is mainly Devito taking a beating from the members of Money Inc in a boring manner. IRS ends the match with the Write Off, and Bell doesn't even see a second of bell time. He can't have made things any worse. Poor squash.

Crush vs. Bobby Who

Bobby Who? ... right, I'll get my coat. The fans don't appear to give a rats arse about this match. Can't really blame them. This wasn't the match to follow that last one. Crush wins with the Crush and it's done. Ugh.

Razor Ramon heads to the ring and he has something to say about The Kid beating him. Razor Ramon puts up $2,500 of his own money and says that if The Kid faces him, he can have it. He has been embarrassed and wants to put it right. Bret Hart then gets the fans to chant "1 2 3" as he comes out and speaks to Razor about facing him in the KotR. He basically says Razor hasn't done his homework and will lose.

Adam Bomb vs. Phil Apollo

This isn't going to end well for Apollo. This all seems a bit sudden for Adam Bomb just appearing like this. He does dish out a pretty vicious beating though. Johnny Polo is well happy. Bomb lands a vicious Powerbomb and that is the end of that. We don't even get a celebration and cut off. What is this? Impact?

Bam Bam Bigelow is backstage and he says he's ready for all kinds of action and next week, we get Marty Jannetty vs. Bam Bam Bigelow.

Decent wee show.

One botch aside, Jannetty/Bigelow was great. I wished we got a rematch. Between that, his two matches vs the Hitman and the feud with Tatanka, the summer of 1993 should be enough to convince anyone with any doubts about Bam Bam.

For me, the WWF was magic around this period. Shame that RAW only lasted an hour each week instead of the two that Prime Time had before it.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Paid Members

Recently watched Raw from 5/22/1995. It was the first show Michaels did as a babyface after being attacked by Sid. Remember this vividly as a kid...they did a great job of building sympathy for Michaels in the weeks leading up to this, and the pop he gets coming out for his match against Bundy is testament to that....what an uninspiring faction Money Inc was btw.

The show also had the debut of HHH against a jobber, which he won with a Diamond Cutter of all things, did not remember him ever doing that.

One thing I quite enjoyed was them shilling Michaels first babyface tshirts with the selling points of "it has heart prints, front, back and ALL OVER" and is "ONE SIZE FITS ALL!". Got to love the nineties.

Archived