OOOLD SCHOOOOL

IANdrewDiceClay

• Replies 607
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Paid Members
About a month before Wrestlemania 7 during the Jake Roberts and Martel, a masked man runs down and attacks Martel. Who is this and why is this? Seemed so random to have this unnamed mask man attack, was Jake busy?

Beefcake was under there. He was the Man Without A Face. They dropped the idea of this character because Bruti wasn't fit enough to return yet, after his accident. So he was given the Barber Shop instead.

• Paid Members

He also attacked Earthquake, IIRC.

Seems beyond belief that Disciple Booty Barber wasnt up for wrestling again for 2 1/2 years after said facial. But then, it's impossible to complain (even for the ardent Brutus fan) as without the Barber Shop, we wouldn't have had the best breakup in tag team history.

I mean, can you imagine as much heat for "which corner will Cherry go to?" if Deuce and Domino had blown off at a PPV? Course you fucking can't.

Thanks, "The man without a face" was this the idea for the gimmick? They were going to give up the beefcake charachter. How cheap and lame, lucky they came to their senses. Or we may not have got the kick ass purple number with Reebok pumps, oh and the reinforced plate glass window. Christ Brutus had to eat some shit, "man with no name", Booty Man, Zodiac, Butcher,Disciple. But then he did headline Starrcade and always had his spot.

Started to watch KOTR 95 after enduring Mania 11. I completely forgot there's 4 Savio Vega matches in 1 evening. Just finished the HBK vs Kama match. Bizarre booking there, Michaels should have at least got to the final here, I'm fairly confident that no other match on the card was as good as this one either, although I'm looking forward to the main event of Sid and Tatanka vs Bam Bam and Diesel. Dok Hendrix on commentary sounds really fresh for 95 too, forgotten how much I enjoyed his work.

What was the deal with Razor? Was he really injured? He didn't exactly looked thrilled to be Savio's head cheerleader.

Started to watch KOTR 95 after enduring Mania 11. I completely forgot there's 4 Savio Vega matches in 1 evening. Just finished the HBK vs Kama match. Bizarre booking there, Michaels should have at least got to the final here, I'm fairly confident that no other match on the card was as good as this one either, although I'm looking forward to the main event of Sid and Tatanka vs Bam Bam and Diesel. Dok Hendrix on commentary sounds really fresh for 95 too, forgotten how much I enjoyed his work.

What was the deal with Razor? Was he really injured? He didn't exactly looked thrilled to be Savio's head cheerleader.

Highlight of the show was Dok translating for Savio post-match. :laugh:

Think I ranted about this one earlier on in this thread. Such a hideous show, fuck knows what they were smoking to come up with that crock.

Always wondered about Razor too, as he was taking bumps. If he could do that, i'm sure he could've worked a match - maybe not 3 though if the original plan was for him to reach the final?

• Paid Members

According to issue 13 of Power Slam he "suffered rib injuries in a Ladder match with Jeff Jarrett in Uniondale, New York on June 9th" and pulled out of the PPV. The best line of the whole review was this:

Mo then crowned Mabel (King of the Ring) ... No wonder Jerry Lawler threw up all over the shop.

Where do you get the footage from these RAWs.

Pretty much all television shows ever broadcast by WWF, WCW, and all other major mainstream promotions is available in season set format from the tape traders board, from various different traders.

Here

• Moderators

NWA POWER HOUR, 11/8/89

It's a saturday night episode, coming from some fucking university somewhere owned by some man called Jimmy Swaggart, he's some televangelist. Jim Cornette and Jim Ross are on commentary duties and they announce that on this Saturday night, on another station, "Peanut Head" Theodore R Long will be on Soul Train and be the first ever person to be stumped by the Soul Train Scramble. JR looks smug as fuck at this. Fuck you, Jim Ross.

"From the City of Sunshine" Shane Douglas vs Captain Mike Rotundaoaoaoaoao

Shane's got his skateboard with him, looking a prick, giving it all that HANG TEN and RADICAL stuff. Mike Rotunda's in his Varsity Club gimmick, it's probably around the death throes of it here, before he became captain of a boat instead of captain of the team. I love the Varsity Club gimmick, it's top stuff. Mike's got a mic.

"Shane, you don't know how sorry I am that your partner got his face smashed."

Nice. Mike goes on to say that because he's such a great sportsman that if he throws even one illegal blow, then he'll give Shane his most prized possession. His Syracuse Letterman jacket. I'm betting that he doesn't. The crowd are of the opinion that "Syracuse Sucks!"

Mat wrestling to start, Douglas has a headscissors on IRS, it's quite boring.

Mike Rotundo is quite boring when he wants to be, to be fair. Some IRS matches made me want to kill myself. They're just rolling around like a couple of gays at the moment, it's not even interesting mat wrestling. Mike Ratondu can be so damned shit when he feels like dogging it. They're saying now that Johnny Ace was put out of commission by the New Zealand Militia, who are Rip Morgan and Jacko Victory. Jack Victory had about 9000 gimmicks in NWA. If someone's under a mask, it's probably Jack Victory. Rutando has had Shane Douglas in a top wrist lock for fucking ages. He breaks it, and breaks out the open hands, as a punch will cost him his coat.

Drop toe hold by Norman Pace, and he works the knee of the future V.K. Wallstreet. Back to mat, Douglas has headlock on. European uppercuts by Mick Rytander, and Shane Douglas gets all white meat, and M. Wallstreet stooges. Cross body by Douglas for two, but Barry Windham's brother in law connects with a thumb to the eye over the referee so he can't see it. Bray Wyatt's patriarch slaps Douglas again, Douglas chases him around the ring, and gets clotheslined on re-entry and Mr Bo Dallas Snr is in control. Inside cradle and the former member of Team 2000 gets the win and holds onto his coat.

Under the adnutoR boredom rating scale, I give it four rope assisted abdominal stretches.

Wrestling News Network with Gordon Solie

-Johnny Ace injured by New Zealand Militia. Fractured cheekbone, out for a few weeks.

-Eddie Gilbert has challenged Great Muta to a No-DQ match.

-Why is Iron Sheik coming to ringside with Ron Simmons? Solie worried about Simmons embracing Sheik's philosophy and ethos

IN OTHER NEWS (nice how NWA would do this)

-In WCCW, Eric Embry has won match to put WCCW future in doubt. (I'm guessing it's Embry beating PY Chu Hi in order to bring in the USWA)

NWA TOP TEN

10. Eddie Gilbert

9. Tommy Rich

8. Sid Vicious

7. Dangerous Danny Spivey

6. Mike Rotunda

5. Dr Death Steve Williams

4. The Great Muta

3. Terry Funk

2. Sting

1. Lex Luger

NWA WORLD HEAVYWEIGHT CHAMPION: Ric Flair

-Solie thinks there is trouble brewing between Paul E and his charges in the Samoan Swat Team.

NO-DQ: Eddie Gilbert w/Missy Hyatt vs Great Muta w/Gary Hart

The Great Muta's theme music is absolutely fantastic. I like Muta, I love Gilbert, and bum Gary Hart so I'm looking forward to this one. Eddie Gilbert's coming out to Donna Summer and Muta grabs Hyatt by the hair and MISTS THE FUCK OUT OF HYATT STRAIGHT AWAY. THE MATCH HASN'T EVEN BEGUN.

This is going to be a fun one.

Hyatt screams "EDDIE!!!! EDDIE!!!!" like an annoying whore, as Eddie does the right thing and keeps his mind on the job at hand, knocking fuck out of Muta. The Steiners are out to tend to Hyatt and get her to the back. I bet they fuck her.

Gilbert tries to garrote Muta with the ring apron, and then starts pummelling Gary Hart just for the fuck of it. Muta hits Hot Stuff from behind though, and he's in control for all of two seconds as Gilbert twats Muta's head into the ringpost. I don't even think a bell has rung yet. Eddie's got a chair, and twats Muta over the head with it, and gives him a good old fashioned chairing inside the ring. Gilbert punches away at Muta, and thumbs him in the throat before choking him. Gilbert comes off the ropes, does a forward roll under a leapfrog but then gets a sidekick to the face from The Pearl of the Orient.

Gary Hart chucks Gilbert into the post. Tommy Rich is out now for some (no) reason. He rolls Gilbert into the ring. Muta strangles fuck out of Glibert with some wire. Brutal stuff. Gilbert won't give up though and gets up, so Muta chucks him down by the mullet and starts strangling fuck out of him with the wire again. Gilbert fights to his fight, and runs forward and so propelling Muta into a turnbuckle. Muta stands Eddie Gilbert and just kicks him right in the balls, no fucking about there. Now he legdrops him in the balls. He whips Gilbert, and Gilbert kicks in him the face. Gilbert fires off punches "YOU SON OF A BITCH!", Gilbert's comebacks rule. Whips Muta in and a BIiiiiiiiiiiiiiig Back Body Drop.

Gilbert gets the wire and starts choking Muta. Hart takes off his coat and gets into the ring, so Rich gets into the ring to nullify Hart and it's all going on now. Sleeper on Hart, as Muta rakes the eyes of Gilbert. Muta delivers RED MIST to Tommy Rich as Eddie Gilbert goes to the top strand and comes off with a high cross body on Hart and the ref... counts the three? Ok then, strange (shit) finish but I fucking loved that match so it gets a free pass.

BLACK MIST FOR EDDIE GILBERT! Muta puts the boots to him as Tommy Rich comes in with a chair for the save.

Awesome. Absolutely fucking awesome.

Funk's Grill, with the Steiner Brothers.

Interview segment helmed by Terry Funk on a cheaparse set. It's during the "Rick Steiner is a mong" era which leads to humour.

Funk: If I had two boys, I'd want them to be just like

Rick: Yeah, us!

Funk: Just like you, Scott!

Rick: Hey, what about me!

Funk: God has opportunities after wrestling

Rick: Me too! I've thought about being like a Sheriff or, a Fireman! Look at that! (Points at Funk's earring) What is that?

Rick Steiner did the simpleton gimmick better than anyone else. They call Terry Funk the George Burns of Wrestling, which makes Rick Steiner overexcited. Rick Steiner is really great here. Fun little segment.

Road Warrior Hawk w/ Paul Ellering dressed as Wilbur Smith vs Samu w/ Paul E.

God, there's 15 minutes left yet and this is the main event. My hopes aren't too high to be honest either.

Samu comes out to the theme off Halloween. Samu fucking gobs in the ring as Ironman kicks up. That's absolutely disgusting, if you ask me. Hawk runs in, they punch each other, clothesline each other and no-one moves. More punching each other and Hawk throws Samu outside where they go on to punch each other. Sidekick to the face of Hawk and some choking. Hawk decides against selling this and dropkicks Samu when they get back in the ring.

Hawk with a clothesline, then a chinlock. Samu does the Hogan back rakes, Hawk hits a running tackle, gets a two count, and I realise there's still 10 minutes of the show to go. Not enjoying this bout. Hawk in control, leg drops Samu. Samu quickly takes control, runs at Hawk, Hawk moves from the corner and first drops Samu. Fuck it, I'm not watching this.

Right, I've skipped forward and Hawk twats Samu with Paul E's phone and pins him. Average show. Probably worth it for Muta vs Gilbert, poor otherwise though.

WWE RAW 31/05/1993

Right, time to get back to this stuff.

I like reading your reviews. Where do you get the footage from these RAWs.

So far, I've just been using YouTube. I can see it getting to a point where I have to start looking at acquiring them from somewhere, but untill that point, video sites are where I'll be getting them.

WWE RAW 07/06/1993

Shawn Michaels vs. Russ Greenberg

HBK won the IC Title before this show took place in Albany. We also see Diesel at ringside acting as a bodyguard for what I assume is the very first time, which is a nice wee historical touch to this. Greenberg tries to come back into this match a couple of times, but his comebacks are probably the most quickly shot down I have seen for a while. This match actually goes on a bit long, and we wind up getting some stalling, albeit rather amusingly from HBK, but it's still rather annoying. The Piledriver wins the match for HBK.

HBK is raging that he has to defend the title against Crush right after winning the belt and says that people are jealous of him and that's why he's not being allowed to enjoy his title win.

Adam Bomb vs. El Matador

Matador for the most part tries to use his ring smarts to get the better of Bomb, which keeps things VERY competitive. Bomb uses short cuts and cheap shots to find his way into the match. See, I thought they'd have Adam Bomb a wee bit stronger than that given his size. Missed oppertunity to have him look really good against someone who was a bit of a gatekeeper at the time. They DID have him kick out of the Flying Forearm though, which I suppose is a pretty big deal. Bomb wins the match with a Slingshot Clothesline and it wasn't a bad match at all.

Tatanka vs. Peter Weeks

I love Tatanka chopping the shite out of folk. This squash is a bit on the dull side though. I honestly felt myself getting more tired as I watched it. Tatanka wins the match with a top rope chop.

We're now going to have The King's Court and he's going to be speaking with Yokozuna and Mr. Fuji ahead of the big match against Hulk Hogan at King of the Ring at the weekend. Lawler basically rams the thought that Hogan is going to lose the title in any chance that he gets. Well, he's a man with an agenda, I'll give him that. Apparently Yoko has been bulking in a big way up to 550lbs for the Hogan match. I'd feel more confident with that. Just keep hitting and running away. Mr Fuji says that they will get the gold back that Hogan stole. Yokozuna simply says that Hogan will go down.

Billy Gunn and Rick Steiner vs. Fatu and IRS

This is a rather intriguing looking match. On the outside, there's some ice cream bars being munched on. Billy Gunn is as lively as he always is, doing every move with the maximum effort. This time, everyone else in the match seems to be co-operating with him. IRS has definately got the working boots on as well, bumping like a maniac for the faces. The one problem I have with it is there's too much shenanigans with Money Inc. giving Headshrinkers money. It's just really shit comedy. Outside of that, this is a ridiculously fun tag team match and all four men mixed well. IRS hits the Write Off from behind on Gunn when he gets distracted by Dibiase and that gives the heels the win in this one.

We're closing the show with Razor Ramon, as he has some words for The 1-2-3 Kid. He's still looking to up the offer to The 1-2-3 Kid so as he can get that win back on him. He says that the match that everybody wants to see will be happening next week. And it will happen for $7,500. Vinny Mac doubts this as there's been no confirmation. Razor is confident though, because for that money he could have everybody in the hall "standing on their heads naked." I highly doubt that. Anyways, we move onto the King of the Ring. Razor gets played out with the RAW theme as he goes on too long, but the general gist is that he's going to beat Bret Hart. No word on winning the actual tourney then Razor? That whole segment was a mess.

Hit and miss episode this time.

So in the spirit of the great The Cum Doctor and his excellent Raw reviews I reckon I'll pop in here to review a few Raws and Nitros, considering I just watched the very first Monday Night Raw so here goes...

Monday Night Raw #1 - 11/01/93

Bobby Heenan tries to get into the building but super Sean Mooney tells him its sold out! Vince welcomes us to Monday Night Raw and chats with Randy Savage and Rob Bartlett.

Yokozuna vs Koko B. Ware

Quite the enjoyable squash. I remember when I was kid i hated watching Yokozuna but he tossed B. Ware about like crazy. Koko bumped about for him and was clearly working hard. Koko got a bit of offence in before missing a dropkick. The big splash in the corner followed by the banzai drop were brilliant. Game over for Koko.

Promo with Bobby Heenan - He tells Mr Perfect that The Narcissist is coming at the Royal Rumble. He had a hard time saying the Narcissist so often but he's better than perfection.

The Steiner Brothers vs The Excecutioners

Rick and Scott are pretty class and make quick work of the two masked executioners. Hard to concentrate on this when Doink is dancing about in the background. Rick smiling as he gives one of them a pasting is fantastic. Beautiful moment when one of the Executioner lads goes to leapfrog Rick but rick catches him and gives him a mighty looking powerslam. Not to be outdone Scott gives one a bearhug and then chucks him over with a Belly to Belly Suplex. That Doomsday Bulldog is brutal looking. The Steiners are gonna face the Beverly Brothers at the Royal Rumble, I dont much fancy the Bevs in that.

Heenans at it again, this time dressed as a woman. Mooney is disgusted that he was fooled into thinking Heenan was a lady.

Interview with Razor Ramon

The bad guy is going to the Rumble to face Bret Hart at the Royal Rumble. We see footage of Razor beating the crap out of Owen. He says it was fun "squashing Owen like a cock-a-roach" Bit weird Bret wasnt on this show though. Ramon says hes gonna take the precious gold at the Rumble.

Max Moon vs Shawn Michaels for the Intercontinental Championship

HBK comes out with his swish looking blue Intercontinental belt. Max Moon wasnt that bad was he? Is this Konnan im watching or the other guy I couldnt tell? Nice match between the two, with Shawn taking a break mid match to act a prick and talk to the camera. Best moment was MM slingshotting Michaels outta the ring. Some nice near falls, Michaels wins it with a back suplex. He's got the small matter of Marty Janetty to worry about now at the Rumble!

Sean Mooney is fooled again by Heenan, but Mooneys a smart cookie and figures it out.

The Undertaker vs Damien Demento

Yeah I hate Demento. Though the Undertaker comes out in record time beating him with a Tombstone. Nothing really to write home about.

"Doink likes to make children cry and not laugh" Spectacular. Crush isnt happy about it though and comes out to tell him how he feels, however Doink squirts him with a water pistol and Crush chases him away and Crush music pays and thats that.

Thats all for the very first episode of Raw. An enjoyable show, Doink had a laugh, while we got some decent action from The Steiners and Shawn Michaels. "What A Maneuver!" made several appearances. Fun stuff.

Rob Bartlett and his impressions can fuck off.

Edit, screw it Im gonna watch Raw # 2 and the 93 Royal Rumble!

Monday Night Raw #2 - 18/01/93

Rob tears up a photo but i cant tell who its off as we kick off Raw. Vince, Rob and Macho chat away when Repo Man sneak attacks Savage and steals his hat. Sneaky.

Terry Taylor vs Mr Perfect

Class match up between these two. Mr Perfect looks great, Flair comes out halfway through and attacks Perfect while Taylor is distracting the referee. Flair chucks Perfect back into the ring and Terry Taylor looks to apply a suplex or perfect plex but Mr Perfect reverses it into the Perfectplex and its all done. Mr perfect rolls out of the ring and runs to the back to try and get some payback on Flair.

Interview with Bret "Hitman" Hart

I really like Brets delivery, it always feels real. He said Razor was scum and that at the Royal Rumble he'd restore the Hart family name by beating Ramon. Bret says the title makes him the best wrestler but at the rumble he doesnt fancy wrestling, he fancies a fight!

Marty Janetty vs Glenn Ruth

Glenn Ruth has the worst tights known to man. I had to look him up to check his name and he'd later become Thrasher from the Headbangers! Anyway he suckers Janetty into a handshake then attacks Janetty when he has his back turned. Shawn Michaels is on the phone saying how he carried the Rockers and he knew everything thats going on in his head, and he still does and thats why he'll beat him at the Royal Rumble. Janetty puts enhancement talent Ruth away with the Rocker Dropper. At least i think thats the Rocker Dropper!

We then go to Vince at ringside who shows us footage of Doink laying a beating on Crush with his prosthetic arm. Looked fairly savage, poor Crush might not make it to the Rumble :( He was going to win it too! I love Crush!

Ric Flair vs El Matador

Chico dances about for a bit and then out comes Naitch. Tito gets the better of Flair in the early going and gets a good Tito chant going. Flair turns it around by holding on to the ropes while Tito attempts a monkey flip, then he pokes Tito in the eyes. He even rakes the eyes again in front of the referee! Dirtiest player in the game indeed! lots of classic Flair goodness, getting backdropped and thrown off the top rope. The match spills to the outside and Tito clocks Flair with a clothsline. Santana hits the flying forearm but he doesnt cover him much to Vinces annoyance! He attempts one more but Flair ducks and Tito goes over the top rope to the floor!

Pefect then comes out and him and Flair start laying into each other then Sarge and the boys come out to break it up but it spills into the back! get a camera back there! The match was surely thrown out, but no mention of it so for El Matador it was probably a success.

Vince then catches Flair for a quick interview, Flair wants Perfect one-on-one next week! Flair says he'll put his career on the line and the loser leaves WWF! "I dont know what to say guys we're rocking and rolling here" Vince is awesome. He then gets a word with Mr. Perfect and he says he'll take the match in a heartbeat. Oh its on! Next Raw we get Flair vs Perfect AND Savage vs Repo Man. As we go off the air Repo Man has taken Rob Bartletts car. Good.

I think I enjoyed this a bit more that the first one. Two pretty great matches and Janetty vs Ruth was okay too. It build up pretty well for the Royal Rumble and for next weeks Raw. Good times.

• Paid Members
Promo with Bobby Heenan - He tells Mr Perfect that The Narcissist is coming at the Royal Rumble. He had a hard time saying the Narcissist so often but he's better than perfection.

He'd have a lot harder time now, that's for sure. Also, pretty sure it was still "Narcissus" rather than "The Narcissist" at the time. Until someone pointed out that pretending Lex actually was a character from Greek mythology was fucking dumb.

The Steiners are gonna face the Beverly Brothers at the Royal Rumble, I dont much fancy the Bevs in that.

Oh, you. Acting like you don't know what happens. Don't act too shocked when Carlito's dad wins the Rumble.

At least i think thats the Rocker Dropper!

Indeed it was. You know, there are a lot of Raw concepts I miss, and "Raw Girls" is definitely one.

Archived