• Paid Members

6 more bands announed for Download this morning :

The Darkness

Funeral for a Friend

Framing Hanley

Kvelertak

Plain White Tees &

Hyra Da Hero

Good announcment IMO. I know they'll divide opinion but The Darkness are a great booking, them at Keele Uni when they dropped the 1st album is one of the top 10 gigs I've been to.

• Replies 338
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The Darkness get a lot of stick for no good reason, the first album was a fun little piece and the second album was pretty good too. You just have to take them with a pinch of salt. Are they a fun live act with some catchy songs- yes. Are they the second coming of Led Zeppelin who are going to to write some of the greatest rock songs ever- probably not

• Paid Members

That's my take on the Darkness. Yes they're tongue in cheek but only in a camp 'Queen-esque' way as opposed to Steel Panther/Spinal Tap full on parody.

If you ignore the tabloid bullshit that was prevalent around the time of their split & just listen to 'Permission To Land' (I put it in the car after seeing the DL announcement this morning) there's a good reason it went 5 times platinum. It's a killer rock n roll record with hardly any weak tracks. I'd liken The Darkness to 'Airborne', just straight up fun rock. They're playing under Def Leppard which means they'll be on stage about 7.30ish. I'll be about 7 pints deep by that point so they'll should fit nicely with my frame of mind at that time.

I could never take them seriously. I know you're not supposed to really, but they just ended up getting on my tits. Especially as I was working in Virgin the year they released that fucking annoying xmas song and I had to hear it about 10,000 times a day. There was one really killer track on that Permission to Land record though, it was near the end but I can't remember for the life of me what it was called.

I could never take them seriously. I know you're not supposed to really, but they just ended up getting on my tits. Especially as I was working in Virgin the year they released that fucking annoying xmas song and I had to hear it about 10,000 times a day. There was one really killer track on that Permission to Land record though, it was near the end but I can't remember for the life of me what it was called.

the second half of the album went:

Love Is Only A Feeling

Givin' Up

Stuck In A Rut

Friday Night

Love On The Rocks With No Ice

Holding My Own

I always like how the closing riff of 'I Believe In A Thing Called Love' is the same as the bassline of The Four Tops 'Loco In Acapulco'. I seem to recall 'Growing On Me' having similarities to Lionel Richie's 'Dancing On The Ceiling' in places too

• Awards Moderator

I love 'Permission To Land'. Had the inkling to stick it on in the car last week and it's still excellent, some absolutely cracking songs on it. I really tried to like 'One Way Ticket...' but the odd good track aside, it didn't stand up to the first album.

Frankie Poullain is back in the line-up too, which can only be a good thing.

Wait, what? The Darkness have reformed?

Not only that but Justin Hawkins has grown a silly beard/tache combo too.

homepage-pic.jpg

I have been a big fan of The Darkness since the start and have followed their other bands Hot Leg and Stone Gods during the time they were apart. I am VERY happy they are back. Just a good, fun band, simple as that. Also Justin grew that silly tache for Movember 2009 and just never got rid of it. He should though.

Love On The Rocks With No Ice

Ah that's the one, gonna have to dig that tune out later. I saw Hot Leg open for someone at Brixton (I think it was probably Alter Bridge due to Bettencourt's presence in this thread) and they were absolutely dire. Stone Gods I've also seen open for Velvet Revolver. Don't remember anything about them one way or another, didn't even know they had anything to do with The Darkness.

• Paid Members
I hate absolutely anything Justin Hawkins does. So I am glad I'm not going to Download now.

I find his vocals very irritating.

Did you not go to see Hot Leg twice in 7 days?

I did not "go to see them" no. They were just happened to gatecrash the gig and play a set on stage while I was waiting for Alter Bridge and while you and I were waiting for Extreme to come on.

Cunts. Security should have thrown them out! :sneaky:

Archived