Summer festivals 2011

brett

• Replies 338
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Paid Members

Sadly ity now looks as though Download won't be getting my custom, unless I decide to eventually do System for the day or something. Sonisphere though is a definate goer for me. I honestly thought Download would've had that sort of lineup and the roles would basically be reversed in terms of which bands signed up for which festival.

• Paid Members

bit silly having the same headliner only 2 years after they last headlined, especially a band like Def Leppard who were kind of a novelty headliners in the first place. Massive band no doubt, but for they don't have the modern audience i think needed for this type of festival...they'll bring in their fans no doubt and i like the band, but it's obvious that 90% of the 16-25 audience that look at that lineup are gonna go 'Def Leppard?! fuck off'

• Paid Members
bit silly having the same headliner only 2 years after they last headlined, especially a band like Def Leppard who were kind of a novelty headliners in the first place. Massive band no doubt, but for they don't have the modern audience i think needed for this type of festival...they'll bring in their fans no doubt and i like the band, but it's obvious that 90% of the 16-25 audience that look at that lineup are gonna go 'Def Leppard?! fuck off'

Whilst I agree it's an incredibly lazy booking I'd argue that Download isn't really about the 16-25 age bracket & whatever classic headliner they booked they've put Korn & Pendulum on 2nd stage, the latter will definitely appeal more to the yoof.

The thing I've noticed about Download is how much older the average age of attendee is, the fact you've got so many people who still go to Donington year on year & have been doing so since the Monsters of Rock days means you get a much more diverse age range than at the likes of Leeds or V. Download know where their bread is buttered & whilst R&L sell out every year regardless of who's playing, purely cause' it's fashionable to do so Download doesn't have that luxury & it's the 25+ who have the disposable income that they chase. The success & continuation of a classic rock themed day is testament to this.

• Paid Members

Whilst I agree it's an incredibly lazy booking I'd argue that Download isn't really about the 16-25 age bracket & whatever classic headliner they booked they've put Korn & Pendulum on 2nd stage, the latter will definitely appeal more to the yoof.

The thing I've noticed about Download is how much older the average age of attendee is, the fact you've got so many people who still go to Donington year on year & have been doing so since the Monsters of Rock days means you get a much more diverse age range than at the likes of Leeds or V. Download know where their bread is buttered & whilst R&L sell out every year regardless of who's playing, purely cause' it's fashionable to do so Download doesn't have that luxury & it's the 25+ who have the disposable income that they chase. The success & continuation of a classic rock themed day is testament to this.

maybe, but i still the general reaction to Def Leppard has been incredibly negative.

Eminem was pretty awful at TITP last year, for what it's worth. D-12 in the dance tent was fucking awesome though. Only festival act anyone I know can ever recall getting an encore in the middle of the day.

Eminem was pretty awful at TITP last year, for what it's worth.

I think that was among his first gigs in years though. He looked amazing at the Giants Stadium during the co-headline tour with Jay-Z.

Even if it WAS awful though, it's still a big act to get. His first English festival in nine years, aye?

TITP would be a Scottish festival, Haraga.

Yeah, it's a big name, but honestly, he was only the fourth best hip-hop act I saw at TITP. Also, he was something like 45 minutes late getting on stage and was lip-synching for parts of the show. That deserves nothing but contempt, as far as I'm concerned.

Edit: It's worth saying that I was/am a HUGE Eminem fan. I honestly couldn't imagine being disappointed with him, having missed two chances to see him before and been desperately hoping for another chance ever since he disappeared for a few years. But I came away from that show feeling horribly, horribly let down.

I meant that V Festival is his first English festival in nine years but it's actually ten, with the last one being the Carling Weekend in 2001. I thought it was 2002.

And yeah, I'm aware that he was horrendous, but that doesn't stop the fact that he is still a major coup for a promoter. I can't help but feel that the long tour with Jay-Z has helped his live game. He hadn't done many shows before T in the Park for a while.

Archived