Dr. Alan Grant Posted December 10, 2024 Posted December 10, 2024 My first thought was “one inch screen? Sounds terrible.” And then the video opens with Final Fantasy 9 and 7 and my opinion has never been changed so quickly. Pot Luck Bonanza #3 presents…goddamn it…Moomin’s Tale on the Game Boy Color. You have to retrieve Moominmama’s handkerchief in the first level, which was of course a grass level. No enemies die at your hands, you merely jump on them to get to a greater height. Even the bosses just fly away upon defeat. The music is catchy and there was a level where you have to run from a big boulder. Moomindiana Jones if you will. I got to the third level, unfairly died over and over to a big grasshopper and promptly rage quit. The Pot Luck Bonanza is starting to seem like a terrible idea. Quote
Paid Members Jazzy G Posted December 10, 2024 Paid Members Posted December 10, 2024 I think it's great. Between this and @FLipsreviewing retro stuff I'm loving it. Speaking of whom, I picked up that Crash/Spyro bundle on my Switch, and am terrified to start it as I know I won't do well at Crash, but might fare a little better at Spyro as it seems less platformy? I mean I won't be troubling your speed runs anytime soon, but I might not do too badly at it. Assuming I can drag myself away from that new Power Rangers beat em up that came out. Quote
Paid Members Onyx2 Posted December 10, 2024 Paid Members Posted December 10, 2024 On 12/3/2024 at 5:24 PM, Onyx2 said: Yeah I just ordered one too! You should be on commish Busick My console arrived and I'm sorta putting off unpacking it as I might forget to sleep. Quote
Paid Members FLips Posted December 10, 2024 Paid Members Posted December 10, 2024 Mine also arrived yesterday. It’s certainly worth the money, though not without the faults you would expect from a cheap chinese handheld gaming device. The headphone port is very finicky, the sound quality not great, and the emulator/roms are very 120-in-1 in terms of formatting. The screen looks stunning though, and the buttons surprisingly sturdy and clicky. I’m very impressed for £27. Less impressed with my Pot Luck Bonanza which brought me Dough Boy on the NES, which I couldn’t make heads nor tails of and it looked and played more like an Atari game. My second Bonanza was arguably less successful as I pulled a Mega Drive hack of the abysmal PS1 game Mortal Kombat Mythologies which was confusingly titled Mortal Kombat 5 and was predictably worse than the original. I have however had much more luck from just picking games I wanted to play. Metal Slug 2 which I was inspired to play by this thread looked and handled like a dream. Sadly my Metal Slug 1 didn’t work, as I got so good at that on the arcade machine in my old job I could finish it on a £1 coin. That being said they’re all interchangeable so the experience was nearly identical with 2 as it would have been 1. Spyro The Dragon was a wonderful experience on a little handheld like this, though it may not quite be as easy to navigate as it is on a bigger screen. Thanks again for the recommendation, very pleased with it. Quote
Dr. Alan Grant Posted December 10, 2024 Posted December 10, 2024 Is that Mortal Kombat a side scrolling fighting game rather than a 1 on 1 beat-em-up? Quote
Retro Red Posted December 10, 2024 Posted December 10, 2024 So I upgraded to a 256gb memory card and have started making my own build for the r36s, righting some wrongs such as the unforgivable omission of the game gear, and some personal preferences like adding a small zx spectrum section. Only drawback is the arcade romset I acquired is massive at over 15000 files - needs a massive curation effort (or I might look for something that’s already been done). Only pain is that I’ve not been able to get it going with WiFi (tried tethering from my phone/pc but no dice) so I’m having to do a lot on the pc rather than on the unit - but I’m getting there. Quote
Paid Members FLips Posted December 10, 2024 Paid Members Posted December 10, 2024 13 minutes ago, Dr. Alan Grant said: Is that Mortal Kombat a side scrolling fighting game rather than a 1 on 1 beat-em-up? It’s a brutal mix of both. Imagine a side scrolling beat em up but each enemy was a full fight and it only has 2 buttons and controls like shit. Quote
Members SuperBacon Posted December 10, 2024 Members Posted December 10, 2024 Right, fuck it I'm ordering one. Quote
Retro Red Posted December 10, 2024 Posted December 10, 2024 Haven’t seen this much collective interest in a product on here since Tunnnocksgate! Quote
Paid Members FLips Posted December 10, 2024 Paid Members Posted December 10, 2024 Tell you what I was thoroughly impressed with, was the Capcom Arcade Games, across I, II and III. I played Ghosts and Goblins, 1946, and Street Fighter 3 Third Strike and they all ran like clockwork, smooth as butter. My only downside was that the D-pad doesn’t roll that great for the inputs on Street Fighter, but with a more deliberate input you can pull the moves off fine. Quote
Paid Members Devon Malcolm Posted December 10, 2024 Paid Members Posted December 10, 2024 29 minutes ago, FLips said: I played Ghosts and Goblins I won't be doing the same as mine will end up through the window after 5 minutes. Quote
Dr. Alan Grant Posted December 10, 2024 Posted December 10, 2024 1 hour ago, Retro Red said: Haven’t seen this much collective interest in a product on here since Tunnnocksgate! It even has games for her. Quote
Paid Members hallicks Posted December 11, 2024 Paid Members Posted December 11, 2024 Couldn’t take it anymore, I’ve ordered one. Either for myself or for my wife for Christmas, depending on how dire the present situation is on the 24th. Quote
Paid Members Jazzy G Posted December 11, 2024 Paid Members Posted December 11, 2024 Found one on Vinted for £40 including postage. I showed my RG520 to Vicky last night and she spent a little time playing Tetris 2 on it. I don't know whether anybody else has seen them, but I've been really enjoying the Gold Master Collection titles by Digital Eclipse. It follows on from the Atari 50, and by extension the Street Fighter anniversary/Capcom fighting collections by having documentary and archive stuff combined with a selection of landmark games from the history. The most recent one is Tetris Forever, but there's one about the history of rotoscoped beat em up/proto-fighter Karateka with a selection of the different ports, and one about Jeff Minter and Llamasoft. They're all fascinating "interactive documentaries" that are a fair bit more fleshed out than the museum mode stuff on the Street Fighter Collection. I think in terms of their retro output they're second to M2, but that's probably because M2's ports are spectacular. Their Sega Ages stuff on 360/PS3/3DS was so well done. Their CastleVania collection was great, too. Quote
Members SuperBacon Posted December 11, 2024 Members Posted December 11, 2024 13 hours ago, SuperBacon said: Right, fuck it I'm ordering one. Sorry can someone remind me which one we're all buying again. This feels like some sort of syndicate ? Quote
Recommended Posts
Join the conversation
You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.