Dr. Alan Grant Posted December 11, 2024 Posted December 11, 2024 46 minutes ago, SuperBacon said: Sorry can someone remind me which one we're all buying again. This feels like some sort of syndicate ? I bought the R36S from AliExpress. But there are loads of other models. Quote
Paid Members FLips Posted December 11, 2024 Paid Members Posted December 11, 2024 2 hours ago, SuperBacon said: Sorry can someone remind me which one we're all buying again. This feels like some sort of syndicate ? This was the link that was posted in here and I believe most of us got from this seller in particular. https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005007431503801.html?spm=a2g0n.order_detail.order_detail_item.4.546bf19c3sahiy&_gl=1*16obf5z*_gcl_au*MTAwMTY3ODgzMy4xNzMzMzIzMTUy*_ga*MTE4Nzk0MTYxLjE3MzMzMjMxNTM.*_ga_VED1YSGNC7*MTczMzc0OTE4Mi40LjEuMTczMzc0OTE5NC40OC4wLjA. Quote
Dr. Alan Grant Posted December 12, 2024 Posted December 12, 2024 The Pot Luck Bonanza can sometimes be a cruel mistress. #4 was Solstice for the NES. It’s an isometric puzzle game where you play as a little wizard moving from room to room. It took me a while to figure out how to even pick up items (you have to stand on them first) and the intricate precision needed to jump between obstacles was too much for me. In the bin you go, little wizard. #5 was Super Nobunaga no Busyo Fuunroku on the SNES. It’s in Japanese so I had no idea what options I was choosing. I gave up after 5 minutes, still none the wiser as to what the game actually is. #6 is John Romero’s Daikatana for the Gameboy Color. A samurai/sci-fi hybrid game about a virus and potentially time travel if I understood the prologue correctly. This was actually pretty decent, though the main character looks like a sprite of Chun Li. Fingers crossed the Bonanza gives me Toejam & Earl 2 tomorrow. Quote
Paid Members FLips Posted December 12, 2024 Paid Members Posted December 12, 2024 (edited) I had no idea Daikatana got a Gameboy Colour port, will have to give that a go! I think the Nobunaga game is Nobunaga's Ambition which is a Risk-like strategy game where you fill units into sections of land then defend/invade against other sections. The closest thing I've played is the Asterix game I had on PS1 growing up. Thought it was boring then, think it's boring now. Solstice from what I've heard is meant to be decent, if incredibly difficult. For my Bonanaza last night I got RAIDEN for the PC Engine/Turbo Grafix 16 which is a shoot em up. As always with these types of games, my thumb hurt after playing for 10 minutes and I couldn't do the first level. Edited December 12, 2024 by FLips Quote
Dr. Alan Grant Posted December 12, 2024 Posted December 12, 2024 1 minute ago, FLips said: I had no idea Daikatana got a Gameboy Colour port, will have to give that a go! It’s probably the best of the random games I’ve played so far. Awesome soundtrack. I’m finding so many of these retro games difficult. Probably a combination of my skills getting worse as I get older and the games themselves being punishing. I used to be able to finish NES and MegaDrive games. Now I die on the first level and cry in a corner. Quote
Paid Members Jesse Posted December 12, 2024 Paid Members Posted December 12, 2024 Yeah I'm not having that. Solstice is an absolute bastard but it's such a good puzzle game that I think it's really rewarding to push through that initial mental phase. Worth another go, maybe when you're in the mood for a mental challenge. Quote
Dr. Alan Grant Posted December 12, 2024 Posted December 12, 2024 I finished Elden Ring but couldn’t beat the second boss on A Moomin’s Tale, so I don’t know what to think anymore. Quote
DavidB6937 Posted December 12, 2024 Posted December 12, 2024 15 minutes ago, Dr. Alan Grant said: I finished Elden Ring but couldn’t beat the second boss on A Moomin’s Tale, so I don’t know what to think anymore. I don't know but the first thing that came to mind is this and now it's stuck in my damn head again. Quote
Merzbow Posted December 14, 2024 Posted December 14, 2024 Did anyone play this TNA java game? I had a little blast just now and it's weirdly fun, turn based wrestling with a very strange and obviously British written storyline. You can pretty much call someone's mum a slag right at the start.. Quote
Paid Members Jazzy G Posted December 16, 2024 Paid Members Posted December 16, 2024 I acquired the R36XX on Vinted. It looks impressive. I'm a little disappointed that some of the CPS ROMs don't work, but I can't really complain for £40. The RG Nano, on the other hand. What a revelation. It literally fits in the palm of my hand. It plays Gran Turismo and Final Fantasy VII just fine, although the FFVII ROM is in Japanese. I've attached it to my lanyard so I always have it with me. It's not the easiest of devices for games such as your Gran Turismo and Streets Of Rage etc, but for turn based RPGs it's a blast. I started Pokémon Crystal. I can play it using one hand while I give Vicky's dogs attention with the other. No that isn't a euphemism. It's fantastic. I might actually manage to get through Final Fantasy VI at some point. Quote
DavidB6937 Posted December 16, 2024 Posted December 16, 2024 Enjoyed this about one of my all time faves: https://www.eurogamer.net/beneath-a-steel-sky-at-30-retrospective Quote
Paid Members FLips Posted December 16, 2024 Paid Members Posted December 16, 2024 20 minutes ago, DavidB6937 said: Enjoyed this about one of my all time faves: https://www.eurogamer.net/beneath-a-steel-sky-at-30-retrospective Brilliant read, thanks for that. Also one of my favourites, and definitely my favourite point and click game. The Sequel was fantastic too. Quote
Paid Members Arch Stanton Posted December 16, 2024 Paid Members Posted December 16, 2024 Yeah, I really enjoyed Beneath A Steel Sky too. One I played many years after it's release, probably ten years or so ago. Loved the regional accents in the game. Quote
Retro Red Posted December 16, 2024 Posted December 16, 2024 4 hours ago, Jazzy G said: I acquired the R36XX on Vinted. It looks impressive. I'm a little disappointed that some of the CPS ROMs don't work, but I can't really complain for £40. When you’re in the cps menu press start to bring up the options and go to emulator settings - play about with the core/emulators in there and you should get some joy. Quote
Merzbow Posted December 16, 2024 Posted December 16, 2024 I'd imagine some of those CPS roms are for a different version of Final Burn Neo or MAME, romsets are weird and games can very easily stop working. Quote
Recommended Posts
Join the conversation
You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.