The UKFF Retro Gaming Thread

patiirc

8 hours ago, Jazzy G said:

Oops. I also ays thought it was August for some reason. Ah well, I can watch them back on YouTube. 

Frame Fatales is next month, run by GDQ so that might be what you’re thinking of

So it’s rumoured that Marvel Vs Capcom Collection will shadow drop tonight after the EVO finals and now that SNK Vs Capcom is out it’s only a matter of time until my favourite fighting game Capcom Vs SNK 2 will be announced! 

So this week we roll the dice and head to Bas Vegas aka Basildon 

Now I really do like this branch of CEX, it's clean and everything is nicely displayed and you can tell staff actually give a shit

Alongside that, the stock was really good 

Seeing a circular Saturn pad in the wild was unexpected and some really good conditioned steelbook and slip covered games were found on the day 

I picked up a copy of Shadow of the Colossus on PS2 which was in great condition which is rare to see

And I was tempted on Tekken 8 limited edition which is priced the same as the normal version at 25 quid

Boy that dropped off quick

I'll be going back soon as they had a nice copy of Silent Hill on the PS1 which is one of the games on my hot list 

All in all a very good experience and a good shop

There's so much stuff on there that still isn't available anywhere else legally, both games and DLC not on later Xbox consoles. I guess the 360 is now retro.. if only there was an easier way to hack them like the PS3 and Wii/U.

19 minutes ago, Cousin Jim Bob said:

I think the 360 has been considered retro for a while now. It was launched in 2005.

I think it's usually a 20 year thing for many people so was well on it's way anyway.

• Paid Members
On 7/22/2024 at 9:32 PM, Big Bully Busick said:

So this week we roll the dice and head to Bas Vegas aka Basildon 

That’s my local. As that’s my current hometown! It’s not a bad one, you get the odd gem.

A tip-off for anyone in Scotland looking to purchase retro games - or games in general, I suppose. I've mentioned Forgotten Worlds in Stewarton (Scotland's biggest retro games store - perhaps the biggest in the UK) before, so I'll do that again before giving my second recommendation. 

The CEX in Dundee is tremendous - likely due to the fact the city has such a large community of game developers and gaming students (one of the unis there has a pretty significant games development course) 

Every time I've been there I've picked up an absolute gem, and their stock is so diverse even for modern consoles. Obviously with it being CEX there's never any guarantee, but it's easily the most consistently brilliant CEX store I've visited as far as videogames is concerned. 

I picked up a bunch of 3DS and DS games during my most recent visits including Metroid: Samus Returns, Persona Q: Shadow of the Labyrinth, Monster Hunter Stories, Rhythm Paradise Megamix and 7th Dragon III Code VFD. Not all of these were cheap, but a few trade ins helped ease the burden somewhat. 

• Paid Members
Posted (edited)

After being really impressed with my knockoff Castlevania III from AliExpress I took a major plunge the other day and ordered a batch of SNES carts.

The games, including tax and postage came to £54 and I got Castlevania: Vampire’s Kiss (Dracula X), Final Fantasy VI, Earthbound, Chrono Trigger, TMNT: Turtles in Time, and Mega Man and Bass. They’ll be arriving in a week or two.

Hoping the SNES quality is as good as the NES quality. Despite some of them never coming out here they all had EUR ROM versions available so they should just plug and play. Curious if the ones with battery saves are reliable, but given my legit Sim City battery dies every time I play it, it can’t be any worse than that I guess.

Happy with the price, as the only one of those games I’d legit be able to afford is Turtles and that clocks in at £70 for a mangled and faded legit cart. The others we either never got or cost into the several hundreds and thousands.

Edited by FLips

It feels like the graded speculation scam had somehow also increased the prices of retro games in general possibly because of the mainstream attention it garnered and a bunch of new collectors, plus there's been no true come down in prices since the rise after COVID started.

But if there's any good news it's that the dickheads doing the former are largely screwed, many graded games now losing up to 90% of their "worth" instead of boosting prices after their fake sales.

But yeah, I've even noticed a rise in PS3 and 360 games lately. It's not a major rise but a fair few of the more cult like games are creeping up, even not so rare titles like Deadly Premonition, Shadows of the Damned or Lollipop Chainsaw.

20 hours ago, Hannibal Scorch said:

That’s my local. As that’s my current hometown! It’s not a bad one, you get the odd gem.

Yeah I really liked it in there 

Think I'll be going back in a week or so to pick up a heavy hitter