The moment you thought about quitting wrestling

IANdrewDiceClay

• Paid Members
exjqzx5a.jpg

just horrible.

Admittedly not the wrestling world's best creation. But after his initial appearances on Smackdown, he then started popping up in random places backstage and frankly it was pretty awesome. Like during the Raw vs SD rivalry around Survivor Series 05 where Bradshaw goes to a truck which he thinks is full of Raw guys, only to find the Boogeyman. And when Cena is walking around backstage interacting with people, and finds him in the closet. Some of those backstage bits were pretty cool. Then the wrestling started and well, yeah it was a bit cack. But he had his moments.

• Replies 295
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Paid Members

I watched WWE with an open mind last night for the first time in at least 3 years. Saw a couple of decent matches and then I saw.....

Sadly, I can't find a screen print, but it was Low Ki, now called Kavla (or something) drawing lots for two girls, once called Melinda, or Melissa, or something. I cringed.

A little later, some Spanish stereotype interfeared with a match, even doing the chair choke from Tango and Cash.

Sorry, with total respect and apologies if you were a fan, but I'll not be watching WWE for a good while again.

• Paid Members

Two for me, both from around the same timeframe, I think, which really made me question how I was spending my leisure time.

Firstly:

vincenew2.jpg

Not a great pic, but I found this hideous. Ignoring the debacle that was McMahon's Million Dollar Mania which in and of itself made WWE a laughing stock, and showed just how out of touch Vince seemed to have become with popular culture, the fact that it ended like this: McMahon crushed under a scaffold, a week after a TNA crew member lost their life in the same way is just horrible. Whether or not Vince knew about it personally is beside the point. Someone in the company should've seen what was planned and said "no".

Secondly:

rebecca_01.jpg

I don't care how much of it was agreed or not agreed to beforehand - I very nearly gave up wrestling for good when this happened. Totally beyond the realms of taste and decency in my opinion. In fact, I nearly cancelled my sub to F4W when Alvarez kept going on about how he was sure she wouldn't have minded getting a fat lip if it made the angle look that much better. Deplorable.

Sadly, wrestling really is a sickness, and no matter how much it continues to offend my sensibilities, like the junkie that I am I will always come crawling back for another fix.

Two for me, both from around the same timeframe, I think, which really made me question how I was spending my leisure time.

Firstly:

vincenew2.jpg

Not a great pic, but I found this hideous. Ignoring the debacle that was McMahon's Million Dollar Mania which in and of itself made WWE a laughing stock, and showed just how out of touch Vince seemed to have become with popular culture, the fact that it ended like this: McMahon crushed under a scaffold, a week after a TNA crew member lost their life in the same way is just horrible. Whether or not Vince knew about it personally is beside the point. Someone in the company should've seen what was planned and said "no".

Secondly:

rebecca_01.jpg

I don't care how much of it was agreed or not agreed to beforehand - I very nearly gave up wrestling for good when this happened. Totally beyond the realms of taste and decency in my opinion. In fact, I nearly cancelled my sub to F4W when Alvarez kept going on about how he was sure she wouldn't have minded getting a fat lip if it made the angle look that much better. Deplorable.

Sadly, wrestling really is a sickness, and no matter how much it continues to offend my sensibilities, like the junkie that I am I will always come crawling back for another fix.

Tough titties, it happens in life. Art immitaes life. I beat the shit out of my wife all the time, so frankly I got a kick out of this angle. I really liked it when Austin hit Lita a few years back.

Edited by Adam Turner

I watched WWE with an open mind last night for the first time in at least 3 years. Saw a couple of decent matches and then I saw.....

Sadly, I can't find a screen print, but it was Low Ki, now called Kavla (or something) drawing lots for two girls, once called Melinda, or Melissa, or something. I cringed.

A little later, some Spanish stereotype interfeared with a match, even doing the chair choke from Tango and Cash.

Sorry, with total respect and apologies if you were a fan, but I'll not be watching WWE for a good while again.

couple of corrections for you with all due respect as youve not watched for a while

low ki is called kaval, he won the second series of NXT and the two girls, who are called michelle mccool and layla el (and are co womens champions btw), were his "mentors" for the show. their backstage stuff has been pretty entertaining from what ive seen and read

the "spanish stereotype" as you called him is called alberto del rio and debuted a few weeks ago after weeks of vignettes and is claiming to be an honest man. he used to be known as dos caros jr

couple of corrections for you with all due respect as youve not watched for a while

low ki is called kaval, he won the second series of NXT and the two girls, who are called michelle mccool and layla el (and are co womens champions btw), were his "mentors" for the show. their backstage stuff has been pretty entertaining from what ive seen and read

the "spanish stereotype" as you called him is called alberto del rio and debuted a few weeks ago after weeks of vignettes and is claiming to be an honest man. he used to be known as dos caros jr

And Lay-Cool and Del Rio are two of the best things in WWE at the moment, so I don't know why that's put you off.

Firstly:

vincenew2.jpg

Not that it makes it any better, but they fell off some scaffold, rather than got crushed under it, didn't they?

Also, the Jericho/HBK's wife thing, I don't get it. But I don't get a lot of the choices on here. Making you say "ah bloody hell" or something I can understand, but if some of the things in here make you stop watching wrestling altogether then you can't have been much of a fan to begin with.

Firstly:

vincenew2.jpg

Secondly:

rebecca_01.jpg

How's that any different from the awesome angle in which Jake Roberts hit Elizabeth? Beating women should be used sparingly in wrestling, which it is, as it can generate a lot of heat when done well. 'Totally beyond the realms of taste and decency'? Considering some of the stuff that's happened over the years that's a ridiculous exaggeration.

• Paid Members

Thank you :)

And Lay-Cool and Del Rio are two of the best things in WWE at the moment, so I don't know why that's put you off.

That's a perfect example of how a lot of fans feel about wrestling at the moment.

If the two things that turned that guy off watching WWE are in fact two of the best things currently in WWE, then that guy wont be tuning in again for a while.

I went through the same thing when I stopped watching.

The review I read that Tuesday morning a few months back said a HUGE angle happened at the end of the previous nights Raw involving all the NXT guys attacking Cena. It was totally unlike the usual Cena stuff and an awesome piece of TV is what a lot of fans on here described it as.

I watched it, didn't like it, realised that's the direction WWE were going, and stopped watching.

• Paid Members
Not that it makes it any better, but they fell off some scaffold, rather than got crushed under it, didn't they?

Fair enough, I should have used the word 'similar'.

Also, the Jericho/HBK's wife thing, I don't get it. But I don't get a lot of the choices on here. Making you say "ah bloody hell" or something I can understand, but if some of the things in here make you stop watching wrestling altogether then you can't have been much of a fan to begin with.

It just seemed unpleasant to me. At the end of the day, a female, non-worker, ended up with a bruised face and a fat lip. Sorry, but that's just not something I want to see.

And saying I "can't have been much of a fan to begin with" is a bit disingenuous, isn't it? You of all people know I've followed wrestling religiously for something like 25 years now! I just think with this angle it went too far.

How's that any different from the awesome angle in which Jake Roberts hit Elizabeth? Beating women should be used sparingly in wrestling, which it is, as it can generate a lot of heat when done well. 'Totally beyond the realms of taste and decency'? Considering some of the stuff that's happened over the years that's a ridiculous exaggeration.

I'm assuming this is what you're referring to?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wb2sfzZTRqw...=1&index=81

If so, I think there is a very real difference. As you say, it can generate a lot of heat when done well. This is a great example of it being done well - it was shocking, intense, unexpected and very well done. But it was also totally safe - a worked slap, with no damage at all suffered by Elizabeth. It was shocking in an 'enjoyable' way, like watching a horror movie or a dramatic soap opera.

Watching Mrs Michaels being helped to the back as her face swelled up on camera was one step too far for me. I don't want to see that kind of thing at all. If you're more comfortable with man-on-woman violence than I am, good for you.

Didn't Jericho aim to hit Shawn Michaels though, and he just got out the way? On screen it wasn't as though Jericho was aiming to smack Mrs.Showstopper. It was an accident. Well that's how I remember it, can't be bothered watching it again. I liked it. Would it have been okay if Y2J put her in the Walls of Jericho and made her squeal like a little piggie instead?

• Paid Members
Watching Mrs Michaels being helped to the back as her face swelled up on camera was one step too far for me. I don't want to see that kind of thing at all. If you're more comfortable with man-on-woman violence than I am, good for you.

For someone who has apparently been watching wrestling for 25 years, it seems surprising to me that you seem to be unable to differentiate between fantasy and reality. You say the Jake thing was a work, so basically man on woman violence in that context is fine but yet you're treating the HBK/Jericho/Rebecca incident as if it's some kind of shoot, and that Chris Irvine the performer intentionally put extra force behind his punch for the sake of an angle!

Do you actually think a person like Chris Irvine/Jericho would intentionally hurt a woman, much less the wife of one of his most trusted peers? Were you seriously considering abandoning the profession you've watched "religiously" for 25 years over human error? Note: By human error, I don't mean the character of Shawn Michaels ducking the blow, I mean Chris Irvine/Jericho accidentally landing and connecting with the punch.

Having re-watched the footage of the actual punch, you can't even really tell at first that it properly even connected. So in that context it's no different from the Jake/Elizabeth stuff. It's only after people like yourself discovered she had actually been hurt that y'all got up in arms about it. It was a mistake, it happens. I can't believe (especially in the context of the Y2J/HBK storyline, which was tremendous) that you would think about giving up 25 years of fandom over an innocent mistake in an otherwise magnificent wrestling angle. By all means I don't expect people to feel comfortable about man on women violence, but trying to make out that they were going too far, but then defending the Jake Roberts angle, your point basically has no substance.

• Paid Members
Didn't Jericho aim to hit Shawn Michaels though, and he just got out the way? On screen it wasn't as though Jericho was aiming to smack Mrs.Showstopper. It was an accident. Well that's how I remember it, can't be bothered watching it again. I liked it. Would it have been okay if Y2J put her in the Walls of Jericho and made her squeal like a little piggie instead?

What part of "I didn't enjoy seeing a woman hit in the face for real" don't people understand?