The moment you thought about quitting wrestling

IANdrewDiceClay

• Replies 295
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

hoganmardi_737.jpg

I have slight doubt if this is an actual photo of the event, but i've googled and googled and can't find any photos apart from the above from 411 of the Parade WCW held when Hulk Hogan "signed" his WCW contract (I think it was held at Disney and remember Gene Okerlund being on stage with him). I had always been a WCW fan and Hogan represented all I couldn't stand about the cartoon world of the WWF and him signing for WCW and the change in direction basically ruined my big interest in wrestling until the Monday Night wars really kicked off.

<edit> here's a video of it anyway

Edited by benbobjr

Do you actually think a person like Chris Irvine/Jericho would intentionally hurt a woman

Only if she's standing too close to his car and there's security around to stop her hitting him back.

Even people backstage took the piss after he smacked that fangirl outside an arena last year. As Jerry Lawler puts it:

Vince and I were talking and Jericho walked by and he said: “Watch out! Jericho will hit you! He’ll knock you right down!”

Then he adds: “Especially if you’re a girl!”

Edited by Pityinthecityofsin

Didn't Jericho aim to hit Shawn Michaels though, and he just got out the way? On screen it wasn't as though Jericho was aiming to smack Mrs.Showstopper. It was an accident. Well that's how I remember it, can't be bothered watching it again. I liked it. Would it have been okay if Y2J put her in the Walls of Jericho and made her squeal like a little piggie instead?

What part of "I didn't enjoy seeing a woman hit in the face for real" don't people understand?

rihanna-bruise-picture.jpg

I think Chris Brown is the fucking man. Does that upset you treacle?

Edited by Adam Turner

Orton's potential had already fizzled out weeks before his Mania bout with Triple H though. Neither the quality of that match, nor the result, could've salvaged him by that point.

revenge_cropped_crop_340x234.jpg

That's the real point of reference that's required when discussing Orton's botched push. Right there and then was the last time I was ever duped into being excited about professional wrestling. I allowed myself to think they were actually going to make something out of Randy, I genuinely believed he was set to be the next Stone Cold, and then in twenty seconds everything turned to shit and I haven't cared about anything they've done since. Even when Nexus tore shit up, deep down inside I knew they'd eventually fuck it, which they did.

I know I (and ButhReedMark) already responded to the Austin "push" bit, but just wanted to say it seems like ages since I read a post from you. That bit is probably true - I think a comparable situation would be Kane in 2003. Sure he didn't go over Hunter/Goldberg for the title and lost to Undertaker at the next Mania, but it was Shane O'Mac who'd sapped his momentum. It would have taken one hell of an effort (and clean wins over Trips and Cena) for Orton to recover from that but they'd already put him in a position where it seemed like he wasn't worthy of such a push.

I think that's the real problem with those 'fake pushes', as you put it in one of the later posts. It's not so much that they blatantly set someone up to fail from the start. It's more that they set someone up to get over, sandbag them so they lose a bit of momentum and don't get too over?/big-headed?/valueable?, and then give them a push anyway. It does indeed make it more difficult to get fully behind the next big thing, as we have seen with Nexus and Sheamus.

WWE on the other hand doesn't have that type of motivation to keep making new stars, they can pick and choose whoever they want whenever they want, and as such they choose no-one whatsoever. Nothing progresses, nothing gets refreshed, everyone stays in the same slot forever. My point wasn't that Vince McMahon wouldn't notice Brock Lesnar's potential, it's that since they pushed Brock in 2002 and then I guess Cena and Batista in 2005, there's been absolutely no new main event stars worth getting genuinely excited about. Three in a decade. Fucking hell. UFC usually creates the same amount in about six months. They allow people to make stars out of themselves and then work with what they have. WWE does everything in their power to stop people becoming stars and works directly against everything they have. It's absolutely retarded.

At one point or another Angle, Guerrero, Orton, Edge, Jeff Hardy, Jericho and Mysterio all became stars in the last decade. Lashley and Kennedy looked to be in line for huge pushes as well before things went wrong. Have most of them been subject of the dreaded stop-start booking? Sure. They were able to get around it and make a connection with the audience to become either merchandise draws or people that looked crdible in main events. Could any of them have been bigger stars if they had been given the same push as Lesnar/Cena/Batista? Maybe so, but I still think they qualify as stars compared to 99% of wrestlers who have worked in that period or even the period before. Now if you want to say they got as over as they did almost in spite of the way they were booked then I can see an argument for that.

Sure, if Brock was just getting into the WWE today there's still a chance, given his size and athleticism, that Vince would give him the same monster push he did back then. But if he did, it'd be a huge rarity in today's climate and that's the problem. New stars coming through should be the norm and they should come in all shapes and sizes. They shouldn't happen about once every five years and always feature identical gigantic guys. That's when it becomes a boring pile of wank.

I agree.

during hardy vs hardy match at mania, matt with two tee's hit his head off the steps, thought nothing of it untill a doctor ran out and quickly stoped the flow of blood, then a tiny gash on cena which a doctor ran out and cleaned him up, then orton then punk........when this happenes during fantastic match like punk vs rey that kills the flow of the match.

nwa wcw early 90's was u/pg ffs and flair was bleeding like there was no tomorrow.

I don't fully understand that one. People are always saying they want more 'realism' in wrestling. Surely having 'ringside doctors' there to check out cuts makes it closer to legitimate sports?

I disagree with this somewhat. Admittedly the WWE can decide who they want to try and push, which for the UFC is more difficult to do (although not impossible, they can set a guy up with a series of matches they'll presume he'll win and make them seem a bigger deal than they perhaps are) but that doesn't mean the push is going to work.

Boxing has done that for years. As you say their is a pretty high risk factor due to the risk of upsets.

I suppose the risk factor in wrestling has always been different, namely that you could give a guy a big push and then he could go somewhere else - a different territory, Hollywood, whatever which seems to have made WWE (and probably TNA, although their inability to create stars doesn't seem deliberate) a bit paranoid about getting fully behind someone on a Goldberg/Lesnar/Batista/Cena/Lashley level again.

Sure they can give Morrison a string of wins and have him beat everyone in the midcard, but that doesn't mean he'll get over. If someone in a legit sport beats people then its impressive but we all know wrestling isn't real. Wrestling runs the risk of pushing someone too hard and having a an backlash because of it. That and it takes more than a bunch of wins for fans to care about a wrestler, and if they don't care about a wrestler than a bunch of wins won't matter. Goldberg beat everyone on his rise to the top of WCW, but if somebody else had that push than they might not have gotten as over, but he had the attributes needed and the push happened at the exact right moment in time.

I think Lashley had he ever been given the WWE Title (which I'm sure would have happened) may have gone on to prove your theory there.

Everyone knows wrestling's fake, a guy winning a bunch of matches doesn't make the audience care. The wrestler needs a personality, somethign that makes the mstand out, and they need an it factor or some charisma or some such talent. Getting the balance between pushing a guy and not over-pushing him and findign someoen with the right personality to strive is a very difficutl thing to do. Plus with UFC the sense of unpredictability is always, to some extent, there. Purely because its real. The WWE have to create that sense of unpredictability and that's a very rare thing to amanage to do. Eric Bischoff used to look for one unpredictable moment a week which shows you how rare it is. With no competition to shrow a spanner in the works its even more difficult.

Unpredictability is overrated.

Some of the best, most effective long-term, slow-burning storylines have led to endings even the most intellectually challenged and slow-witted of fans saw from a mile off: the Mega-Powers Exploding, Sting beating Flair at GAB '90 to "bring WCW into the Nineties", Sting as the man who would get the title shot against Hogan at StarrCade, Austin winning the WWF Title at WrestleMania's XIV and XV, Chris Benoit's title chase, Batista turning on Triple H, Lesnar getting revenge on Heyman and winning the WWE Title at WrestleMania XIX, etc., etc.

On the other hand, Triple H beating Angle and then sticking with Stephanie was 'unpredictable' since the ending even the most casual of fans were expecting was for Steph to turn heel on hubby, and what we did get drove people nuts at the time. In other words, they wanted the angle they'd predicted.

There's nothing wrong with giving the fans what they want in the end, just as long as you can make the journey there seem interesting.

Didn't Jericho aim to hit Shawn Michaels though, and he just got out the way? On screen it wasn't as though Jericho was aiming to smack Mrs.Showstopper. It was an accident. Well that's how I remember it, can't be bothered watching it again. I liked it. Would it have been okay if Y2J put her in the Walls of Jericho and made her squeal like a little piggie instead?

What part of "I didn't enjoy seeing a woman hit in the face for real" don't people understand?

Is that really on?

• Paid Members
exjqzx5a.jpg

just horrible.

Admittedly not the wrestling world's best creation. But after his initial appearances on Smackdown, he then started popping up in random places backstage and frankly it was pretty awesome. Like during the Raw vs SD rivalry around Survivor Series 05 where Bradshaw goes to a truck which he thinks is full of Raw guys, only to find the Boogeyman. And when Cena is walking around backstage interacting with people, and finds him in the closet. Some of those backstage bits were pretty cool. Then the wrestling started and well, yeah it was a bit cack. But he had his moments.

He was part of one of my favorite segments. Teddy and Palmer Cannon were talking shit while a load of midgets ran around the office, one of which is eating a huge ham. Teddy then shook his head and went to walk into a cupboard (for reasons unknown. Why the fuck would he want to stand in the cupboard?) and was met by the Bogeyman singing at him. Although to be fair part of the segments charm must go to Teddy's over acting at every turn.

Is that really on?

Yeah, have you seen how irritating Rihanna and her music are?

Some would say she deserved it.

• Paid Members

Is that really on?

Yeah, have you seen how irritating Rihanna and her music are?

Some would say she deserved it.

The injuries look worse than they actually are, because her head is swollen and massive anyway.

• Paid Members
Do you actually think a person like Chris Irvine/Jericho would intentionally hurt a woman

Only if she's standing too close to his car and there's security around to stop her hitting him back.

Even people backstage took the piss after he smacked that fangirl outside an arena last year. As Jerry Lawler puts it:

Vince and I were talking and Jericho walked by and he said: