The MMA General News & Events Thread

David

Sonnen's mouth is keeping in his spot & the critics away, and he knows it. The shit that people like Fitch & Maynard get doesn't seem to apply to Sonnen despite him being seemingly unable to finish a fight. He's lucky he has the gift of the gab or he'd been seen as just another 'leg humper' eeking his way to another decision.

Yes but you are missing one huge point, not finishing a fight & being as boring as Fitch & Maynard are not mutually exclusive. Unlike them, Sonnen is entertaining when he uses his wrestling and doesn't stop working. Where as the other will just lay and every now and again make alittle movement to keep their position and to stop the ref standing them up.

• Replies 7.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
He doesn't have the pedigree to equal the shit he's talking.

And who does? Its called shit-talking for a reason. Just compare him to Tito and you'll see how much Chael has gone on to prove in comparison with Ortiz.

Only people who have proven to back up their mouths lately are Sonnen, Lesnar & perhaps Koscheck.

• Paid Members

Sonnen got beat last time? He was talking before the Silva fight like he was the saviour of MMA (despite never being able to finish a fight). He did very well against Anderson, which is seemingly enough to warrant an immediate rematch but ultimately he still lost. Funny how most of the guys with great records aren't the ones that talk a lot of smack. If it weren't so blatantly obvious that this is now his 'gimmick' he'd just be a mouthy cock who got beat & yet continued to talk like he's fucking Fedor.

Apparently Dustin Hazelett is dropping to Lightweight and will be fighting Mark Bocek at UFC 124.

Thats good news, I'm a fan of Hazelett and he just doesn't have the build for a Welterweight. Be interesting to see how he does at Lightweight.

I'd love to see Florian/Hazelett eventually, could be one hell of a grappling match.

Apparently Dustin Hazelett is dropping to Lightweight and will be fighting Mark Bocek at UFC 124.

Thats a tough fight for Hazelett mind.

Seen on Junkie also, that Aaron Simpson vs Mark Munoz is scheduled for UFC 123. Really like the look of this fight, as both are former NCAA champions and both were moved to the UFC from the WEC when the WEC closed their heavier weight classes.

• Paid Members

Antonio McKee finally makes it to the UFC...the guy threatened to retire if he didn't finish his last opponent, he did so in emphatic fashion and is now in the UFC. The guy is 40, but he aint lost in forever and he claims to be the best 155'er in the world, im interested to see how he does.

guy talks a good game too...

Gambling with his career may have paid Antonio McKee great dividends.

Criticized for a record heavy on decisions and a

• Paid Members

bit behind on the Shark Fights talk cause i only saw it last night before Fight Night.

The commentary was amongst the worst yet funniest in MMA history, it was like listening to a DVD commentary over the fights, Bas and Frye just talking rubbish all night. Funny stuff, Bas schtick kind of annoys me these days though.

I thought the card was abit of a let down to be honest though up until the two main events, Daley/Masvidal just didn't light up, it was pretty alarming to see how uneffective Daley was against a guy with decent boxing defence though, he barely put a glove on Masvidal until round 3...his takedown defence still looks poor too. This fight was anyone's really until the last minute where i thought Daley did do enough to justify the decision win. Not the barnburner everyone hoped for.

Sokoudjou might as well give up fighting...the guy has unilimted natural ability, and has the skills he just has no heart and no gas. As soon as round 1 ended i knew Houston was going to win this, Sokoudjou was spent and it was just a matter of time. But how the hell did Houston survive that round??! it was fucking insane, i think everyone doubted Houston's heart after the Kimbo debacle but he silenced every critic here. The fight could have been justifiably stopped, it makes you wonder how many times fights get stopped where a guy could have came back and won.

Keith Jardine's downward spiral continues. From the moment he pushed the official it was clearly gonna be a bad night for him. The fight itself was a bit of a dogfight, but i think it's clear that Keith Jardine was never one of the best 205'ers in the world, he's just a tough guy that fights in a really strange way and some guys just can't cope with it. Jardine finished strongly and probably would have won if there was one more round but he was clearly losing 2-0 before round 3.

Is anyone else of the thinking that Jardine style isn't actually a planned thing, more that he's just fucking rubbish? and that his toughness gets him through things.

• Paid Members
The commentary was amongst the worst yet funniest in MMA history, it was like listening to a DVD commentary over the fights, Bas and Frye just talking rubbish all night. Funny stuff, Bas schtick kind of annoys me these days though.

Sokoudjou might as well give up fighting...the guy has unilimted natural ability, and has the skills he just has no heart and no gas. As soon as round 1 ended i knew Houston was going to win this, Sokoudjou was spent and it was just a matter of time. But how the hell did Houston survive that round??! it was fucking insane, i think everyone doubted Houston's heart after the Kimbo debacle but he silenced every critic here. The fight could have been justifiably stopped, it makes you wonder how many times fights get stopped where a guy could have came back and won.

Sokoudjou may be one of the biggest wasted talents in MMA for me.Like you say he's got the physical tools (apart from cardio),he's powerful,strong as fuck,he's young,marketable,with a good team etc but he just doesn't seem to have the mental toughness when someone doesn't go away quick.

Houston showed toughness I never thought he had and that was obviously the big difference between them in the end.Houston's performance here made his showing against Kimbo all the more baffling to me.

I loved the commentary too.I still love Bas but Don Frye stole the show easy.I hope they keep this announce team for future Shark Fights shows.Don Frye seemed to forget he was calling an MMA card at times,I'm sure he thought he was on a night at his local with Bas.Fucking great stuff.

• Paid Members
Paul Daley has signed with Strike Force. Saw it on the Cage Warriors forum, but the story was supposedly broke by the MMAFighting website.

Some great fights in Strikeforce's WW division.

Daley vs Cyborg,Zaromskis,Noons,Diaz all fun fights.

He'll probably fair a lot better in that 170 division than the UFC's because it's not so wrestler heavy in SF's WW class.I'd give him a decent chance against any of them but I could see Noons and Diaz in particular giving him a fair bit of trouble.

• Paid Members

talk is off Sonnen being a coach on the next season of TUF, personally i'd love to see it but surely they are missing a trick by doing the Sonnen/Silva rematch before the next season? if Sonnen loses it could still happen, but imagine them building up the fight through TUF!? it would be outstanding.

Even if Sonnen loses again it still has to happen, for entertainments sake.

Archived