The MMA General News & Events Thread

David

• Paid Members

dunno if its been talked about here yet, but whats people's thoughts on Penn/Hughes 3? kinda came out of nowhere which i dont think anyone saw coming...BJ Penn has said this:

"I talked to Dana, and they tried to put me in the ring with Florian, (and) Dana said Florian was hurt," said Penn, who submitted Florian in 2009 to defend the belt. "[Dana] said, 'What do you think about Hughes?' I said, 'Matt Hughes?' I got chicken skin all over my body. I said, 'Tell him I'm coming. Tell him, let's go.'"

After suffering back-to-back defeats, Penn said he had more sense than to request a fight with a UFC Hall of Famer who fights at a heavier weight class - especially one who's climbed back into title contention with a string of wins over Matt Serra, Renzo Gracie and Ricardo Almeida. But with the opportunity to fight again quickly, and with Hughes on board, he simply couldn't pass it up.

"I'm more respectful than that to lose two fights in a row and say, 'OK, give me Matt Hughes,'" Penn said. "They offered me that fight. Matt was really excited about the fight. Dana called me and said, 'We offered Matt the fight. He's going to put everything on hold to take the fight if you want it.' And I said, 'I've got nothing else better to do. Let's do this.'

i really wanna see the fight as it completes the trilogy plus there's a rivalry there but if BJ Penn loses this where does that leave him? 3 defeats in a row, with losses in either division, it's a tough fight for him. If he wins it, great he can go on a run at 170 but i think he has a lot too lose here, dunno if it's worth the risk.

Interesting to hear that he was offered Florian first.

• Replies 7.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Paid Members
dunno if its been talked about here yet, but whats people's thoughts on Penn/Hughes 3? kinda came out of nowhere which i dont think anyone saw coming...BJ Penn has said this:

I was actually calling for a Penn-Hughes rubber match just after UFC 118 :smug:

Yeah he's always had some fetish for fighting at weights that don't suit him but I'd never heard this specific one before.I can't even picture a fight between Penn and Arlovski.

If he does decide to have another pop at 170 I wouldn't mind Penn-Hughes 3.The first 2 were fun and they're tied at 1-1.They've not got much else going on,not many obvious opponents and neither guy's in the title hunt for the forseeable future (can't see Hughes getting another shot while GSP is champ).

Only other obvious option would be Penn-Gomi 2 at 155.

I've wanted to see a 3rd fight for a while now,it's gonna be great.Not sure how I see it going to be honest.

If Hughes beats Penn does anyone think he'll be given a title shot? I would personally rather see this then Fitch fight GSP again. I think they could really sell Hughes having another run at the title. Maybe the winner of this match will face the winner of Shields and Kampmann with to decide the next no.1 contender.

• Paid Members

I think it all depends on if GSP is still the champ,which most likely he will be.

Hughes is on a decent run at the minute beating Serra,Renzo and Almeida but as long as GSP is champ I can't see him getting the shot.GSP vs Hughes 4 doesn't sound to appealing and with how one sided the 2nd and 3rd fights were there's not really gonna be a lot of interest I don't think.

• Paid Members

I was under the impression that Hughes only had one or two fights left on his contract? Hence they were putting him in 'marquee' fights like Renzo? Surely he'd have to resign & re-negotiate if he's going to be in line for a title shot/run?

I was under the impression that Hughes only had one or two fights left on his contract? Hence they were putting him in 'marquee' fights like Renzo? Surely he'd have to resign & re-negotiate if he's going to be in line for a title shot/run?

Possibly, but if he's in contention he may push for a title shot and plan to go out on top

Archived