Your childhood wrestling promotions

The Reverend

I seem to remember a strange angle in mine where Sting retired because 'he'd had enough of Wrestling' despite me only buying the figure 3 months before - I think he left to become a surfing champion! (I made Rick Rude retire to become an Evel Kneival stunt rider before bringing him back!) Needless to say within a month he made his return (I think at this time I only had about a dozen figures so my match capability was pretty limited). I always found kitchen foil brilliant for masks - you could wrap the figures head in it and then poke out the eyeholes with a pencil. I remember having a number of masked stars who were then 'revealed' Lex Luger was 'The Masked Madness', Barry Windham was 'The Assassin', Z-Man was 'The Silver Fox' and probably many more I can't remember. I also had Virgil (an ex-boxer turned wrestler in my storyline) battle IRS and Arn Anderson (both members of the Million Dollar Corp. who were out to destro Virgil) in two gimmick boxing matches - how did I do the boxing matches? I covered their hands in big lumps of blu-tack. Genius! Well until they started hitting each others faces and becoming stuck! Ah happy days!

• Replies 114
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I remember that I had to change some of the guys finishers due to thier physical limitations.

I remember Hulk Hogan broke the ring by stomping too hard (with my help obviously), mine was the old big blue ring

I remember Hogan fell of the table and broke in half which forced his 'retirement'

I was big on Greg Valentine so I traded my undertaker for him, how stupid was I?

I used a cheap knockoff wrestling figure whos arms and legs kept falling off, I biro'd around his oversized muscles ala Cyber Kong, he was called "The Miricle Muscle Man"

I made a cardboard cage!

I did cage rumbles!

I used Thundercats figures of Mumm-ra and Grune, they were much bigger than the other figures but small enough to fit into the ring, they often feuded and tagged, for some reason they both used top rope moves (summersault elbow drop and arse drop?).

Good times

I had a few different ones. For some reason I used to always make Rock and Austin tag champs who didn't like each other but kept retaining the belts because they were so good individually and because they respected each other's ability. Meanwhile, Chris Jericho would often be the World Champion, two years before his first proper World title win. Kurt Angle was also always pretty good.

My Eddie Guerrero had two left hands, so I had a story where he broke his thumb in a match against Matt Hardy and had to learn to wrestle with four fingers on his right hand.

My Eddie Guerrero had two left hands, so I had a story where he broke his thumb in a match against Matt Hardy and had to learn to wrestle with four fingers on his right hand.

This storlyline still sounds better than anything TNA is doing at the moment.

My most Russo-riffic moment also involved The Undertaker. He shot Warlord in the chest to beat him in a Texas Death Match. Shot him dead. Then held an in ring funeral for him the next week. Taker became the most dangerous man in the Federation, threatening to shoot anybody that didn't lose to him. A prime heel world champion for sure. When Warlord made his suprise return from death a few months later to cost Taker the title, the imaginary crowd went fucking barmy.

Man, this thread is awesome.

The above post is absolutely legendary ;)

I had so much fun with Hasbros back in the day, although WCW galoobs use to get involved and normaly took a beating.

My LOD v Demolition v Hart Foundation feud seemed to go on forever.

After 10 years of them being in the loft and forgotten about, I started collecting Hasbros on card again a couple of years ago. Looking at them on Display brings back some great memories.

Keep the stories coming..

I always preferred the WCW figures to the Jakks WWE one's due to the flexibility of them. At the time I was heavily into the ECW and CZW style of wrestling, so my matches always consisted over over the top spots and big bumps that at times really did incorporate real thumbtacks and fire.

As mentioned, due to not only their size in comparison to the WWE figures, but also because of their flexibility the WCW figures such as Mike Awesome, Jeff Jerrett and Macho man were high flyers, with Goldberg and Scott Steiner being the head dropping badasses that would pretty much fuck everybody up.

I used spend entire weekends with a pal from school literally playing with the figures all day running our respective fed's, and actually sadly got quite creative and dare I say "good" at it.... if that's even possible. My mate at times would actually stop what he was doing just to see how certain matches of mine would turn out!

From what I can remember, Jeff Jerrett was pretty much like a real life modern day AJ Styles, a cocky heel who knew exactly how good he was, with Mike Awesome (who was great for doing twisting moonsaults) and Macho man being the ultra babyfaces. I think over one weekend I had a series of matches between the above 3 which always resulted in JJ retaining, mostly due to outside interference from his Bodyguard Kevin Nash, whilst at the same time building up both Goldberg and Scott Steiner in the under card as the undefeated powerhouses. This eventually lead to having all 3 in the main event at my "Wrestlemania" where Goldberg took the gold ending JJ's long reign .

During my time I invented quite a few gimmick matches I was proud of, with one incorporating an old CD rack I no longer had any use for. It was basically a Ladder match using the rack instead of the toy ladders, and I think it was called the "Pyramid of hell". The best match I had with that particular gimmick was between Justin Credible, William Regal and Macho Man who was playing the underdog role. I used an old red crayon on the faces of the figures as blood and even set an old cardboard box on fire (via tissue paper....it was controlled) for Justin credible to be thrown off the top of the Pyramid into!

Another match I can remember was having Justin Credible vs Goldberg vs Mike Awesome in an hour long iron man match, on new years eve with the deadline being midnight. I had the telly on for the countdown and literally had the last 3 seconds of that particular year end with Justin credible gaining the final pin to win the title.....now THAT is dedication!

I also ran a storyline involving William Regal going blind after a thumbtack legit got stuck in the figures eye during a match with my first and only ECW figure New Jack on his debut. I even went as far as to not use the figure for a couple of weeks before having him make his triumphant return, costing New Jack a chance to become the number 1 contender for Brett Harts International championship.

My fed used to go everywhere with me, even on holiday to Spain (minus the ring) where I'd hold "bash at the beach" style events by the pool (we have our own private pool so I didn't look like a complete loser).

Everything is up in the loft now and to this day I still get the urge to give them another play, but resist as I'm now 22. I do still have the habit of flipping my pens at work the same way I used to get the Mike Awesome figure to do twisting moonsaults when I'm bored, but that's as far as it goes!

• Paid Members
I do still have the habit of flipping my pens at work the same way I used to get the Mike Awesome figure to do twisting moonsaults when I'm bored, but that's as far as it goes!

This.

I've recreated the finishing sequence of WM17 with biro's so many times.

Putting a red lid on a biro when it's busted wide open is a simple joy.

I had a fed with my figures from aged 10 to about 14.(I lived in the middle of nowhere I had to do something). I was a pretty decent set up. I had the old WWF Titentron and a hardcore ring (the really customisable one). I timed all my matches and I had a dig around today and found two notepads where I wrote down cards and title histories. I'm glad my geeky pre teen self did that because now I can look back at them and wish it was still socially acceptable for me to do that. My big sister stepped on my ring and broke it so I ended the fed by saying that the MacMahns all died in a plane crash and they left no will so the company had to be wound up.

Heres the card from my last Pay-Per-View, Wrestlemania 4 at the Toronto Skydome.

The event included a 16 Man tournament for the WWF World Heavyweight Championship which was vacated at the Royal Rumble after a screwy finish to the title match between then champion Hulk Hogan and Vince MacMahn. The tournament was won by Chris Benoit who beat Test in the final (I was in the middle of pushing Test to the roof for some reason as "The Ultimate Wrestler"). Also in the tournament were Hulk Hogan, Big Show, Stone Cold, X-Pac, Edge, Undertaker, Sting, Sid Vicious, Cactus Jack, Chris Jericho, Kanyon, Edge, The Rock and Justin Credible.

Also on the card Rob Van Dam won the Intercontinental Championship from Eddie Guerrero in a ladder match. The Hollyz beat Perry Saturn and Billy Gunn to win the World Tag Team titles. Rey Mysterio beat Yoshirio Tajiri and Jeff Hardy in a 3 way for the Light Heavyweight Title.

I even had two dark matches Rikishi and Albert vs Jeff Jerret and Goldberg and DDP, Kanyon and Scott Steiner vs. Triple H, Mike Awesome and Taz.

I had two shows a week RAW and Attitude (like Shotgun, Heat, Velocity). I did quite a efw Invasion Angles in my time. They were normally lead by a fake American Gladiator who I pretended was an Irish Midget called Bill Billson (he predated Hornswoggle). At one point I had a storyline that WWF merged with the NWA. I did the nWo and all that jazz.

Other memorable storylines were Mankinds epic World Heavyweight title reign that lasted 2 and a half fictional years, fro, Summerslam 1 when he beat the Big Show to Wrestlemania 3 when he lost it to Stone Cold.

Billy Kidman winning the WCW title at the beginning of RAW only to have to defend it later on that night against Hardcore Holly where he literlary snapped in half after doing a shooting star press (cheap WCW shit).

Me and my mate used to have Superclash events because we didn't have the sam figures as I did. He had the newer ones likje nWo Kevin Nash, The Hurricane and Tommy Dreamer.

Have to say for a promotion run by a 12 year old it was pretty old school. Most of the storylines were built around titles. I did have some strange ideas though.

because The Rock was the first figure I had he was the veteran, I even had a retirement match for him. I jobbed Triple H out until I made him good and gave him a one month Heavyweight title run. Saturn had a run as my Heavyweight Champ and I pushed him to the roof. Same with Test and Justin Credible. Kanyon, DDP, Rikish and Albert were jobbers.

I had all the attitude belts. World Heavyweight, IC, Tag team, Euro and Hardcore.

Oh God I wish I hadnt discovered drink and women.

• Moderators

Christ, I'm having a flashback to when I used Dr.X as El Gigante. He beat my Lex Luger about a million times. I still remember when Kerry Von Erich died after being thrown out of my Action Man helicopter by IRS.

Of course, he wasn't really dead and returned and beat IRS and threw all his imaginary tax money to my imaginary crowd.

My Hasbro Ric Flair lost a drain match against my mates Virgil on the primary school playground. At first I didn't mind as the Flair figure was a bit shitty anyway and he was skinnier than all the rest of the hasbros so I thought fuck it. Then another mate decided to shit stir doing the afternoons lessons and tell me that I shouldnt let him get away with it and I took the bait good and proper. Last break I grabbed his Virgil figure and booted him out of the playgrounds fence into a quiet byroad, at which time wasn't so quiet and a car came along and crushed Virgil and took his head clean off. I felt a brief moment of satisfaction until my mate started crying, at which point for reasons unknown to me still to this day I started crying too. Seems Flair causes shit wherever he goes.

Archived