Your childhood wrestling promotions

The Reverend

I remember loving the rubber WWF ones in the mid to late ninties before Jakks turned out the not so good to play with plastic ones

I had Austin,Edge,Rock,Val Venis,Xpac and HBK and WCW figures Goldberg,Nash and Scott Hall to go along with a load of random old school figures like Big Boss Man,Warrior,Lod,Taker and Hogan

My best storyline was when my HBK figure got a leg broke by X Pac so while I was getting my Mum to superglue him better I had Xpac be a carrer killer and get heat for it and he became my top heel or "baddie"

HBK eventually came back to extract revenge however the glue didnt work and his leg came of again during his revenge run in

I had a classic two out of three falls match with a Jakks Beniot figure and a rubber Edge one I always remember, it just clicked, ahhh the memiors

• Replies 114
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Paid Members

I remember the big climax to the long running Sting and Ron Simmons vs Barry Windham and Big Josh feud being a "loser's get chucked out the window" match. By the time i went downstairs and outside to pick them up some cunt had already chored them, serves me right for leaving valuables unprotected in Leith. I got revenge on the world a few years later though by stealing Demolition and Koko B Ware out the toy bit in the hospital, skill.

• Paid Members

I used to actually record entrance themes off the telly onto a tape deck, and then play them back as my figures entered the ring. German TV was good in that respect as they didn't talk over ring entrances so they were pretty clean.

I remember making a Wrestlemania 9 type entrance way out of a shoebox!

I remember having two Hogans and one was substituted to become Perry Saturn (I dont know why) He had a big feud with Vince Mcmahon. Everytime he would get to the title he'd be Bret Hart screwed out of winning it. I too liked shocking heel turns (for the sake of it) and had Austin vs (Coporate) Rock at Wrestlemania for the title. Vince McMahon turned on The Rock and The Corporate rattlesnake was born. He held the title for ages until a few matches before he dropped it he kept assaulting the referee. He chased the ref and grabbed him round the waste which led to the ref mule kicking him in the nuts to then get picked up by his opponent (Road warrior Animal) and High angle spine bustered (his finisher) to drop the belt. The Rock would then team with L.O.D to go against the corporation (Vince, Shane, Austin, Bossman, Slaughter, Triple H & D-X) . I also had a crazy Tajiri (A shredder figre) vs Chris Jericho (Jake the snake figure) feud which was awesome. It ended at Mania with a falls count anywhere match which Tajiri won leading him to go on for the world title a week later and get punished by the Corporate Rattlesnake. The Dudley Boyz (Winston from ghostbusters as D-von and Ray from ghs

Sorry it wouldnt fit in one post for some reason so continuing here. The Dudley Boyz (Winston from ghostbusters as D-von and Ray from ghsotbusters as Bubba Ray) never lost EVER, and because I never wanted them to lose I made it take a while to get the tag belts. X-pac (played by a farmer Mikey from ninja turtles) fell out with Billy Gunn (spiderman figure because he was lankey and fame assered really good) and left D-X to go on and defeat Animal for the world title. He held it for ages beating all challengers. Undertaker (played by terminator in the badass stages) went on a rampage and started attacking everyone (heel or face) for what seemed like no reason but then later it came out that someone had kidknapped his mother. Then he found out it was Kane after being led to believe it was Perry Saturn (Convinced by Vince McMahon). After a long feud it came out Kane did it to get his brothers attention (and boy did he get it). I remember the last time I played with the figures (the farewell show) I had Perry Saturn defeat Corporate Austin for the title. Then laughed because he wouldnt be able to defend it. I had such fun back in those days. I usedto have the WWE music so used my CD player for their entrances and the CD player was climbable where people fell off.

Is everything on here 100% serious?

Mine certainly was, wrestling figures were just about the only toys I played with, I never dipped in and out of other fads, so I took the whole thing very seriously, even at only 11/12 years old. In fact, the figures seemed to get good just after I'd grown out of them. I remember some non-hasbros that came out around 96 with Shawn and Bret (and others), which were loads more flexible than the hasbros, but by the time they were prevalent, I had given up a bit on the figures. Very happy memories though.

I never painted any up to be other people/give them different outfits though, can't believe that was as popular as it seems. The closest I came was tippexing my spare Undertaker figure after Royal Rumble 94 to recreate it. Funny really, that casket match finish is probably the closest real life came to a children's wrestling figures story.

I remember when Undertaker got his hair cut back in late 2001, I chopped the pony tail of my Dead Man Inc. era Taker. I did the same with Jeff Hardy, and coloured in his face with a bic.

I remember when Undertaker got his hair cut back in late 2001, I chopped the pony tail of my Dead Man Inc. era Taker. I did the same with Jeff Hardy, and coloured in his face with a bic.

You did that when you were five? :rolleyes:

I must have been about 6.

100% serious - I loved those crazy lumps of plastic! I remember seeing the adverts for the first series back in 1990 and asking every toy shop in the area when they were getting them. Up until then I had to make do with using my other figures to wrestle with. Was so excited when after checking in Woolworths everyday after school for about 2 months I saw the shelves stacked with them - only thing was they were

I can't remember specific feuds, but I invented a legitmate Royal Rumble where all 20-30 figures went into the ring and I shook the ring at an almost verical angle to determine who was eliminated.

Oh yeah, also, I sometimes played matches by putting each man on the top rope of opposite ends of the ring, before springing them down and letting them collide in the middle of the ring. Occasionally it looked like a real move had taken place :)

My mate had a slightly more vivid imagination and his absolutely dominant guy was Arn Anderson with a small plastic sweetie bucked placed over his head, which seemed to make him invincible. Also Tombstone Tackle from Ghostbusters and Last Action Hero Arnie were main eventers...

In '98, when I'd stopped bothering with figures (until my sporadic interest in them in later years and full-blown obsession this past year or two), I heard about a lad painting a Hasbro Sid figure into a Kane. Even now I'm still intrigued by that, because it seems like it'd work perfectly.

You did that when you were five? :rolleyes:

"Dillon, leave Mummy's condoms alone. Go and play with the knives and scissors in the kitchen. Undertaker and Jeff Hardy have short hair now, your figures need changing."

Crush looked WAAAAY better when Japanese

You didn't paint him yellow, did you?

WCW Arn Anderson got 'Mountied' to become Quebecer Pierre.

I always hated the figures like the Mountie and Slaugher, with the moulded-on hats. And I hated the ones who had their legs stuck together, like the Rockers and the Warrior with green pants. And the little weedy ones who were all hunched over, like Rude and Flair. And the... Ah, Hasbros were shit for doing moves with, really. Testament to the imagination of kids!

Crush looked WAAAAY better when Japanese

You didn't paint him yellow, did you?

WCW Arn Anderson got 'Mountied' to become Quebecer Pierre.

I always hated the figures like the Mountie and Slaugher, with the moulded-on hats. And I hated the ones who had their legs stuck together, like the Rockers and the Warrior with green pants. And the little weedy ones who were all hunched over, like Rude and Flair. And the... Ah, Hasbros were shit for doing moves with, really. Testament to the imagination of kids!

No, Crush didn't end up yellow!! :)

Many did change race though.

I agree about the shitty hats and the guys with legs stuck together, but some were just perfect. I recall the Jake Roberts style (with the punch), the suplex guys (Hart, Perfect) and the Double-ax-handle fellas (first Savage, Michaels) were the best to actually 'do stuff' with. The ones with the stomping foot (one of the bushwackers, IRS etc) were proper shit though!

Ricky The Dragon was the king of wrestlers-longjump though.

Archived