Your childhood wrestling promotions

The Reverend

• Replies 114
  • Created
  • Last Reply

What a thread, missed it the first time round.

I always used to have matches for no other reason than who I wanted to wrestle one another. Then sometime in 1997, I ran all the way through to early 1999 with a massive elaborate archived series of events. It started innocently as me wanting to write the results of a Royal Rumble down, and exploded from there! I'd nicked a good dozen or so Maths exercise books from school (the orange covers with squared paper inside), it all got documented in there. The first section would have the factions listed, usually distributing my figures evenly between 6 factions. They usually included (but weren't limited to) d-X, nWo, Hart Foundation, Corporation, Million Dollar Team, Ministry, and (cringe) a group I called (in a Russo esque way) We Are Not Krap. Work that out! It always included my favourite Hasbros. There were other factions but only remember these.

Next, I wrote down every Hasbro (or figures and their representation down, i.e. He-Man became Diesel,once i'd marker penned his hair and a black singlet etc). Next to each name I'd write all the Titles Ihad/made with enough space after to pencil in and rub out the increasing number of Title wins per wrestler. Also adding a win/loss column to edit aswell. Then a Title lineage for each Championship, with a space at the end to put in how many times that wrestler had defended the Belt. Finally, I took on a Battle Royal with 6 wrestlers/tag teams from each faction to contest the different belts. For example I would give a hierarchy system to the belts similar to real life, i.e WWF Title being the number 1 belt, IC Title being number 2 etc. Doing the same to each wrestler in each faction I would then contest the WWF Title with the number 1 guys from my factions, number 2 guys for the IC Title etc.

I turned (painted) Hacksaw into Road Dogg, (and a duplicate) Sid into Billy Gunn. Mr. Perfect (duplicate again) into Jeff Jarrett. El Matador became Syxx/X-Pac. Greg Valentine into Triple H. Rocker's HBK into Owen Hart. Jurassic Park's Ellie Satler became Chyna. And similarly Jurassic Park's Dennis Nedry became Vince McMahon. Anyone remember those really cheaply made wrestling figures you could buy for 99p? From time to time i'd be bought the odd one of those, I had a bald rubber one that I marker penned his trunks black to create Austin, and a masked plastic one I turned into Kane. To name but a few. From here I began my promotion!

My first WWF Champ was Bret Hart, his first defence at Royal Rumble 97 was against Triple H. Bulldog won the first Rumble match to take on Bret at WrestleMania XIII.

HBK was involved in a feud from the get go with Hogan, but at the PPV's Hogan would duck out at the last second to replace himself with Vincent/Virgil, then Giant Gonzalas before teaming with Savage at WrestleMania XIII to take on HBK and, IIRC, Diesel. From there HBK went into a programme with Savage never getting his 1 on 1 with Hogan, well until many PPV's later!

McMahon would choose Savage to take out the fastest rising star Jeff Jarrett, which later rekindled at the height of the real life Austin - McMahon feud.

I liked the Jerry Sags figure so much that he became a singles star, feuding with Big BossMan over the IC Title. Brian Knobbs staying in a Tag Team with, wtf, Papa Shango.

The crappy Austin I had joined a Team with Ultimate Warrior to be called The Icons. Later Austin and Earthquake became a team, Earthquake turned on Austin and received a WWF Title shot against Hogan, winning it and feuding with Austin over it.

New Age Outlaws and LOD had a legendary feud, which then turned into a threeway with Money Inc., and then a fourway series with The Icons.

Razor Ramon turned on Triple H when he and Chyna had been found to be bagging off with one another! It split the d-X/Kliq combo up down the middle with HBK and the New Age Outlaws siding with Razor and Chyna, and Diesel and Syxx/X-Pac sticking with Hunter.

Bret Hart and The Undertaker would have epic contests as would Ric Flair and Bret Hart.

• Paid Members

thundercats-panthro-figure-xl67-7134-p.jpg

My champion for several months. He started off as a replacement Yokozuna for a while (before they brought out a Yoko figure) but the way he could be posed made him awesome for doing hurracanranas and leg drops so I kept him on as Panthro.

thundercats-panthro-figure-xl67-7134-p.jpg

My champion for several months. He started off as a replacement Yokozuna for a while (before they brought out a Yoko figure) but the way he could be posed made him awesome for doing hurracanranas and leg drops so I kept him on as Panthro.

Ah, the magnificent Thundercats figures. There

When i was 6 or 7 i would have bath time Royal Rumbles. They would all be fighting around the edge of the tub trying to throw each other into the water (to drown i guess?) and the winner would be the last man not in the tub. The winner was changed between Jake the Snake and Macho Man every time. I think spiderman may have one it once too.

I think spiderman may have one it once too.

Surely his web slinging abilities would have been banned / disabled for a contest under these rules? I

Archived