Your childhood wrestling promotions

The Reverend

I've remembered more about my brothers wrestling promotion.

Certain WCW figures were given different gimmicks, either because we didnt like them or didnt know who they were. Konnan became Bull Buchanan and Dennis Rodman became "Ice T" and got a major push. The Alex Wright and Ric Flair figures were bought in the USA and were bigger than the other figures and werent flexible. Thus they became "The Big Show" Alex Wright and "The Giant" Ric Flair. They were major stars at the start of the promotion, and used to make "surprise" appearances in Royal Rumbles later on.

I also did commentary as "Jimmy Del Ray", largely in the style of Bobby Heenan in the 1992 Royal Rumble. Always lost the plot completely during matches that my character was involved in and often made references to his long and glorious wrestling career. Also used to make Royal Rumble appearances but was usually eliminated in comical fashion.

In 2001, there was a massive invasion of the company after my character decided to create his own promotion and a lot of the jobber or unused wrestlers defected to my side. The invaders actually won the winner takes all match, but changed their name to that of the original promotion soon after, mainly because the ring bore the initials of it. Aforementioned jobbers and unused wrestlers returned to their obscurity and I lorded it over the other wrestlers for for a while before normal service resumed.

• Replies 114
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 11 months later...
  • Paid Members

I wasn't much of a booker. My format was usually one huge Survivor Series match that pitted the heels against the faces in some 20 v 20 affairs where each team had to stand outside the ring because of the numbers. Each team was usually captained by Hogan and Andre. The jobbers usually were the first to go and it normally boiled down to Hogan and Savage a man down against Andre, Akeem and Bossman. Bossman would work Savage til Hogan got the hot tag and cleaned out Akeem and Bossman. Savage would tag back in and then get pinned by Andre. Hogan then saved the day with a Gorilla press/ stupid looking leg drop combo. Then all the faces celebrated in the ring.

Standard.

• Paid Members

Easter was also a fun time as I would use discarded Easter egg boxes as dressing rooms for my Hasbro's. I remember Hogan's music hitting (me singing) and he'd make his way to the ring leaving his Yorkie box to a thunderous ovation.

This is a great thread.

I also remember when I bought the WCW Goldberg figure. He came with a breakaway table, a wolrd title belt and a locker with breakaway door and a chair. He came in beat everybody but didnt want to give him the title (that would be obvious, and the imaginary crowd watching would've seen it coming) So when my friend gave me a Chris Benoit figure he came in and crippled Goldberg. He took the title and after months of terrorising people then winning the title Goldberg made a comeback and beat him and exacted revenge. I had a figure of Cable(?) from X-men who could only lift his arm in a clothesline motion and judo chop with his other hand. He came in was pushed for a while but after realising how limited he was settled him into a tag team to become tag champions. At least he was in a match every week. I even once had to resort to drawing the belts on paper, coloring them in and used cellotape to make sure they held, of course they ripped so the champions just wore them over their shoulders. I had WWF Title, I.C. Title, European Title, U.S Title (after watching WCW), TV Title, Hardcore Title, Tag Title and even went as far as 6 man Tag Team Title for about 2 weeks before realising I didnt want to team 3 randoms up. I got NWO Nash and Hogan one xmas but they were much bigger than my other figures so didnt like using them. I remember pushing randoms like Bubba Ray and D-von for the WWF Title. Bubba Ray held the title twice while D-von did it 5 times.

• Paid Members

Funny that this thread has turned up as I found an old school book with all my results logged in it. Couldn't quite believe how much I actually did. For me, it was all about The Invaders. They were my nWo which consisted of all the non-wrestling toys I had. Throttle from The Biker Mice was the leader of the faction. He had quite the title reign but then I finally got my Steve Austin figure after a long wait and he ripped Throttle apart on my Wrestlemania show. Throttle's career came to a sudden hault after his arms fell off shortly after. The Invaders then died out as my wrestling figure collection was now big enough to not have to use my other toys. :)

I didn't have any figures. Tapes were my thing. I did run an entirely original promotion with lots of stuffed toys, teddy bears etc though and used to record it on my mum's camera when she left me at my grandparents house every morning when she worked.

HIW - High Impact Wrestling. My grandparents bedroom would be turned into a full blown arena. The bed would naturally be the ring and opposite the foot of it was a massive set of these really old wardrobes bordering a huge square mirror which would have spare floorboards extending out of it as an entrance ramp. So it was a bit like that last generic turnertron WCW used from 2000-2001. That was the idea.

The cameras sepia and monochrome functions would be activated to create an opening vignette at the start of each show until we would zoom straight out to a full shot at which point I would spray air freshner and flick on and off the lights really fast to simulate opening pyro. That was my flagship shows name - pYro. The PPV's I can remember are : Friend Or Foe, Champion Of Champions [the WrestleMania, with a logo being two letter C's back to back with the roman numerals in between], Grand Slam, Inferno [typeset Inferno, IInferno, IIInferno etc] and the Windy City Brawl [because I decided that for one special night of the year the bedroom would be an outdoor stadium event in Chicago].

The 'boys' I can remember are :

Shunt : Giant abstract purple teddy bear. Shunt was the most respected man in the locker room. Had problems with his brother Lion. May have been influenced by The Undertaker.

Lion : The fiery orange version of the same bear. Shunt's brother. Was a pyro technician before appearing as an on screen character to plagarise everything Kane has ever done. Would team with Shunt eventually to form 'The Bastards'.

Vice : The weird snake like toy. His theme tune was the radio set to white noise with me whispering 'vicevicevice' over and over. He was the 'singular poison of HIW'. The original Viper.

Bell : A fairly ordinary looking teddy bear and white meat babyface. I'm not sure why he was called Bell. The only storyline I remember was him endlessly getting kidnapped by Lion.

Commissioner Shinra : Basically Rufus from Final Fantasy VII. I can't remember much about him apart from the fact that he was horribly ineffective. Created the Champion Of Champions staple trench match - every pillow and cushion I could find forming a wall at one end of the bed allowing some of the more reckless of the cast to show off.

I love this thread. I'm annoyed I can't remember more now. I'm convinced some old tapes of this stuff still exists out in the world. I feel like I've let a dark secret out of the closet.

I used to play out the UVF - ULTIMATE VIOLENCE FERDERATION (before I realised it was an Irish terrorist group) when I was a lad. We had a weekly tv slot (when I went down me Nanna's). Couldn't figure out looks so just used to have the idea of someone famous with a slightly different gimmick.

Cant remember names but the owner looked like former middleweight boxer Steve Collins, the colour man was a steely veteran whose time had passed and he looked like Denzil from Only Fools. I gave them a run with the tag straps once.

Riddick Bowe was a heavyweight contender.

I was a flashy face middleweight champ (I'd have valets as lasses I fancied at the time, either at school or famous. Toni Collette, Ellie Beavan and Mandy from Dream Team all got the gig at one time or another.)

A Jimmy Snuka lightweight was a lightweight along with The Great Akushe who both had epic matches.

Juvenile 2000 were the hip renegade tag team (they looked like the Rock and Roll Express) They would join up with Riddick Bowe and another middleweight Eriq La Salle lookalike to make a heel faction a'la DX or nWo.

We had Heavy, Middle, Light and Tag championships.

• Paid Members

Off the the top of my head, I used to get my brother to randomly assign the titles amongst the roster which led to some interesting results. Also, when I went on holidays there would always be a massive swimming pool Royal Rumble

Archived