Your childhood wrestling promotions

The Reverend

I used to have this bad boy and fuckin' loved it:

61n2IU5FfOL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

Is that the one where the center of the ring was fabric and it had a button underneath which made different sounds? I loved that set.

• Replies 114
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Paid Members
One i had was having the hulk hogan (of the nwo of course) win and unify all the titles in wcw. Hogan said he would give the title back if he could be a beaten by a wcw wrestler of his choosing. That man was billy kidman. I had like an hour long match up ending with the SSP through a table ,(plus several run ins from booker t, sting and the rest of the nWo). Kidman won the world title (and gave back the other wcw titles). He later lost the belt to a debutign Mike awesome.

I'm sure I saw that PPV in WcW.

I remember Koko B Ware goin over Ric Flair on his first night in the territory. I'm sure it was his only ever win.

The company had the greatest belts made from paper, black tape and pictures of the toy replicas from the wwf merch catalog.

Bret Hart was the top man and champion for the most part. He also had the best matches just like in real life, unlike real life, he regularly fought Hogan and won too!!

El Gigante became Diesel and kicked arse

Pay per views would be drawn up on paper and take place on my kitchen table next to the radio were I would play taped entrance themes on cassette. This only happened at the big shows.

The main creative twist I put on it was eventually creating 2 seperate rosters, 2 rings and 2 bags of figures. One was wwf and the other was wcw. Invasions took place regularly.

I've been trying re-collect through my alcohol-fried memory what else used to kick off in my promotion:

* I remember 'retiring' Dibiase and having him start his own 'Milion Dollar Stable' cos they never made manager figures (unlike the really old LJN range) so needed one foroutside interference etc. His stable fueded quite heavily with Bam Bam Bigelow. He also bought in an imposter Ultimate Warrior who then fueded with the real one when he came back (I must have got this from the Undertaker vs Undertaker in '94 and having two warriors.) I also made The Warlord become the bodyguard of my promotions superheel - Lex Luger (I was already for these to feud when I finally packed it all awy into the loft - The match that never was!)

* In 1991 I had an event called 'Bloodfest' everymatch was a hardcore stipulation. Flair (who by this time was called King Flair due to me not having the Savage figure as yet) fought the bossman in a 'Sceptre vs Nightstick' match, there was a dog collar (bit of string) match between Arn Anderson and Rick Steiner and a scaffold (lego tower) match in which Scott Steiner defeated Lex Luger for the world title - and that's all I can remember. - Pretty ahead of it's time I think now as 1). I was only 11 and 2). We were still a fews years away from ECW etc.

* World champions in my promotion included: Scott Steiner, SGT Slaughter and Roddy Piper (?) and Snuka (?)

* For some bizarre reason other than the freebirds, all my heel tag teams started life as solo wrestlers until I got the other half: Earthquake (joined by Typhoon) Ax (and then Smash), Fatu (and then Samu), and even The Nasty Boys as I got them at two separate car boots!

my brother and I had complete rules and regulations for our fed.

Using the WCW ring that had the flying turnbuckle, we customised a WCW Galoob figure to be a ref, then we would pick chracters, mostly bret hart, then your guy would do moves on your opponent. If your figure could do 3 moves in a row without falling over, Bret was good for the atomic drop, then you could cover your opponent. then you would take the ref and using the 3 actions on the WCW ring (flying turnbuckle, shooting turnbuckle and stair launcher) try and break up the pin. If the pin wasn`t broke or the guys didnt make it to the ropes then they would be pinned and lost!

Dibiase did rather well, as did Smash. Macho and the model were good but as I said Bret was pretty much undefeated. By the time you got down to Superfly it wasn`t even worth playing.

We used to use the WCW galoob belts but we would cut out the pictures of the Kids foam belts from the catalouge section of the WWF magazine and superglue them onto the galoobs so we would have the `real` intercontinental and tag belts (still got 1 of the tag belts somewhere)

We would also paint and customise figures for other characters, We had Doink, Barbarian and the `Predator` using screws and melted plastic to make accessories (really should get the pictures scanned, they were awsome)

Also we created the rolling mini rings used at wrestlemania 3 by using cardboard and little cheap rings.

Created the Barber shop and the funeral Parlour from cardboard boxes.

We then made seating for the other figures to watch the show.

I have pictures of all of these somewhere. I`ll need to look them out and see if the actual things are as cool as my nastalgic memory remembers them to be!

One i had was having the hulk hogan (of the nwo of course) win and unify all the titles in wcw. Hogan said he would give the title back if he could be a beaten by a wcw wrestler of his choosing. That man was billy kidman. I had like an hour long match up ending with the SSP through a table ,(plus several run ins from booker t, sting and the rest of the nWo). Kidman won the world title (and gave back the other wcw titles). He later lost the belt to a debutign Mike awesome.

I'm sure I saw that PPV in WcW.

one half of this happend a few years back in tna, whilst the other (hogan vs kidman) went on about 10 year ago. Although i was about 8 when i did this.......so i always thought wcw either are about as smart as an 8 year old, or had bugs in my bedroom.

One of the worse ones was when i though id invted a move via my action figures........only to see it on wcw about 2 weeks later. was i the reason wcw went down the pan? if so i think its unfair to put that ammount of pressure on an 8 year old.......and i think they owe me some money :(

Don't remember too much about feuds and what-not (as I'm an old bastard now and it was ages ago), but I know I went fully custom with my Hasbro's. My older brother used to paint those Warhammer metal figures, so there was a decent selection of paints and brushes that I could get my hands on.

As a result, I 'ruined' about 45 Hasbros by painting them into different people, to reflect the roster at the time. It was an ongoing process; as a new guy came in and another quietly left, I would re-assign their figure to be someone else. I still have a bag of painted Hasbros in the loft at my Mum's house. Pretty sure the vast majority look utter shit, but at the time I was well proud of my work. Used to paint them up for my mates as well, back in the day.

It would be hard for me to re-enact rivalries from my childhood - unless someone suddenly came out with Big Daddy and Kendo Nagasaki action figures!

ALthough you could buy and old game system (game cube/Ps2) and buy legends of wrestling 2, which did have kendo/big daddy/haystacks in it.

Although kendo did a shooting star press to the outside in the game, but he did come with his "non mask" costume.

• Paid Members

I painted some of my hasbros too, but bought duplicates at car boots. I gave Davey Boy red tights, repainted the Yoko (black tights red sash) to more tv-accurate colours (red tights black sash), painted Earthquake's singlet sky blue, painted Anvil his Hart Foundation colours, and transformed Warlord into Vader. Oh, and painted LOD to have black shoulder pads but for some reason red tights.

All I remember of my action figures is that my brothers and I couldn't take it seriously enough, and would always just end up picking our respectives figures up and trying to mercilessly batter the other's wrestler with it. We had the WWF ring with the awesome soundbox attached to it, and somebody ended up going through the ring. We repaired it with gaffa tape, but it just wasn't the same. :(

I seem to have posted about my own memories in other threads lately, so if you think you've read some of this before, you probably have...

I was a big fan of the shocking heel turns when I was younger. Especially into gangs such as Dibiase's Corporation and (imaginary) Mr Fuji's deadly "Mental Orientals" group which routinely just featured any old baddie, regardless of race. Ultimate Warrior & Hogan selling out to Dibiase at a Survivor Series was was a big one, it was Hogan, Warrior, Bret, Michaels and Randy Savage as a superpower group against Dibiase's corporation of the Big Boss Man, Scott Steiner, Bam Bam Bigelow, Tatanka and Sid. Savage had been eliminated, which is when those sell out cowards chose to strike, assaulting Michaels and Bret in a 7-on-1 attack.

My memories are unbelivably vivid too, I had intended to do a winner take all match as my Wrestlemania main event by putting the tag, single and IC titles on the four respective guys, but got impatient and blew it off at the Rumble instead. I remember this because after such an epic tag war where Warrior and Hogan cheated to win the tag titles, Bret and Shawn were early starters in the Rumble and the final two men left at the end. Bret won the title shot, but there was no ill will. Some of the imaginary audience were actually in tears at what an emotional night it had been. And Bret beat Warrior for the title at Wrestlemania too, so it ended well.

While I'm reminiscing, I also want to gloat on turning Scott Steiner before it happened in the real world. Rick Steiner (?!) won the Royal Rumble one year, which obviously meant he got to fight for the title against the leader of the Corporation - The Big Boss Man at Wrestlemania. Scott helped him train, but then turned on him at Mania and joined the Corporation. The shit bag. Ironically, I got bored of "pushing" the Rick Stiener figure, and used the baddie Scott and his corporation buddies a lot more, much like real life.

I turned Ricky Steamboat heel in my figures and gave him invisible manager Mr Fuji, and to help me illustrate this, my mum took a bit of black material and made a little black waistcoat to put round his akward shaped back and arms. I actually just dropped the "Ricky Steamboat" name completely and called him The Evil Dragon. He turned heel on Bret Hart to help Yokozuna retain the title one time for the Mental Orientals. The Evil Dragon, Yoko and Three Man Demolition were undoubtedly the strongest incarnation of the group, which rotated through a few guys such as the Bezerker, Papa Shango, Andre the Giant and Giant Gonzalez.

My most Russo-riffic moment also involved The Undertaker. He shot Warlord in the chest to beat him in a Texas Death Match. Shot him dead. Then held an in ring funeral for him the next week. Taker became the most dangerous man in the Federation, threatening to shoot anybody that didn't lose to him. A prime heel world champion for sure. When Warlord made his suprise return from death a few months later to cost Taker the title, the imaginary crowd went fucking barmy.

ive also jut remebered not only have i had just about everybody in wcw win the worlds title, just about everybody had been in the nWo at one point or another.

I even had the likes of undertaker and edge (these where large plastic "signature seris" figures i had been given as a present). Had rey mysterio, kidman, edge, undertaker, RVD, ddp and even bam bam bigelow!

Good times.

"The Mental Orientals" is f'n genius. Wouldn't have even been that out of place in Memphis or somewhere in the early 80's. Lawler woulda booked it!!

Of the ones I can remember that I painted...

WCW Barry Windham made a great Diesel

WCW Sid made an awesome Adam Bomb (never found the Hasbro)

Crush looked WAAAAY better when Japanese

Macho looked way better with his full purple and gold outfit

Virgil became 2 Cold Scorpio

WCW Arn Anderson got 'Mountied' to become Quebecer Pierre.

Archived