Your childhood wrestling promotions

The Reverend

Crush looked WAAAAY better when Japanese

You didn't paint him yellow, did you?

WCW Arn Anderson got 'Mountied' to become Quebecer Pierre.

I always hated the figures like the Mountie and Slaugher, with the moulded-on hats. And I hated the ones who had their legs stuck together, like the Rockers and the Warrior with green pants. And the little weedy ones who were all hunched over, like Rude and Flair. And the... Ah, Hasbros were shit for doing moves with, really. Testament to the imagination of kids!

No, Crush didn't end up yellow!! :)

Many did change race though.

I agree about the shitty hats and the guys with legs stuck together, but some were just perfect. I recall the Jake Roberts style (with the punch), the suplex guys (Hart, Perfect) and the Double-ax-handle fellas (first Savage, Michaels) were the best to actually 'do stuff' with. The ones with the stomping foot (one of the bushwackers, IRS etc) were proper shit though!

Ricky The Dragon was the king of wrestlers-longjump though.

The press-slam ones were pretty decent. And you've got to love the Texas Tornado punch - brilliant!

• Replies 114
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I always remember my big Christmas Eve PPV, it was the Wrestlemania of my promotion, I had Shawn Michaels doing a similar storyline to his one where he "lost his smile" which ended with him going on an indefinate hiatus after having a big hyped up promo. I used to also incorporate the Christmas tree into it pretending it was part of the arena and having the high fliers use it to jump off.

The Summerslam of my promotion was in October on Halloween night, we had big curtains we used to pull across and I used to use them as part of the arena too. I used to do the show while I was watching The Simpsons Halloween specials.

It's a shame I can't remember what the actual events were called.

• Paid Members

I wasn't really a fan as a child but still some how had the ring and some figures, but next to other action figure things they were a bit shit and I never really did a great deal with them sadly, bar hiding hundreds of conkers under the ring as I had no one to play them with.

When I did get into wrestling I was a bit past figures as an interest. However me and a then friend would occasionally "wrestle" which mainly involved rolling around his kitchen and pretending to punch each other from about 10 foot. For some reason I would always be Norman Smiley, and more than once he pinned me down and forced me to smile by pulling my face while his character mocked me which I think would have been a boon of a story for WCW.

• Paid Members

I used to actually commentate on my matches as they went on too. I was trying to sound like Jim Ross but reckon an 8 year old who'd only learnt to speak English at 4 years old, with a thick north Wales accent didn't quite sound the same.

from what i can remember i used to have two galoob lex lugers in blue trunks so used to do the evil twin storyline until i swapped one with my mate for an arn anderson galoob which i paired up with my sting figure (the black pants/yellow boots version) in a legendary feud with the steiners. i used the steiners classic bulldog doomsday finisher, while at the same time creating two different tag finishers for sting and aa. one was a hotshot by arn into a ddt by sting, the other was a stinger splash into a spinebuster followed by a top rope elbow by sting.

• Moderators
I used to actually commentate on my matches as they went on too. I was trying to sound like Jim Ross but reckon an 8 year old who'd only learnt to speak English at 4 years old, with a thick north Wales accent didn't quite sound the same.

Probably better than Bryn Fon on Reslo.

• Paid Members
For my PPVs, I used to have WWF Warzone on the PS1 ready in the background so I could use peoples theme musics from the game for their entrences. I'd also record PPV intro tapes on my dads dictaphone with all the main promos leading up to the PPV.

I don't envy your roster depth then, because it only had about 6 Wrestlers in that game. ;)

Sort of like what the WWF when the Steroid Trial kicked in.

I think I must have sung/hummed by own theme music, because none of it existed at the time when I played with figures. Probably the closest was Full Metal, and even then I was starting to grow out of it. I've thought it for years, but with Youtube/Mp3s for themes, and the quality and range of figures and sets, wrestling fans have never had it so good. I used to turn shoeboxes on their side, cut a hole in it for the entrance, and then draw some shitty patterns and stick logos out of magazines on, then walk the wrestlers through it, all the while the imaginary crowd were going wild. Now..

wwe-raw-arena.jpg

I mean look at that, it's bloody fantastic. And that was only the first thing that came up on google images. I've seen those Wrestlemania retro rings they make which look amazing as well. Lucky bastard imagination-free kids.

• Paid Members
I think I must have sung/hummed by own theme music, because none of it existed at the time when I played with figures. Probably the closest was Full Metal, and even then I was starting to grow out of it. I've thought it for years, but with Youtube/Mp3s for themes, and the quality and range of figures and sets, wrestling fans have never had it so good. I used to turn shoeboxes on their side, cut a hole in it for the entrance, and then draw some shitty patterns and stick logos out of magazines on, then walk the wrestlers through it, all the while the imaginary crowd were going wild. Now..

wwe-raw-arena.jpg

I mean look at that, it's bloody fantastic. And that was only the first thing that came up on google images. I've seen those Wrestlemania retro rings they make which look amazing as well. Lucky bastard imagination-free kids.

I found Hero Quest at a car boot and brought it. My Mom went mad as I already had it. But I turned the board upside down and painted it blue, then put black lines down it, once I put the ring on top of it resembled the old blue mats around ringside. I then took the thing from Hero quest that was used to cover what the gamemaster guy would use to cover his stuff. I painted it black silver and stuck the WWF logo ontop of it and cut a whole in it, this was the into way. Then all the little extra bits that came with the board game was used for weapons and tables and what not. I also used to use loads of other toys as managers and stuff. The Mario Bro's film line guys made perfect heel managers. As someone said the Terminator toy worked as big daddy cool. I also got loads of bootleg Jake the Snake figures and painted them all to look like other guys. I also used the mic on my stereo to record loads of music off the TV on cassette.

Aww so much fun. I love my fed it was awesome. Every year we had a big event on the Subbuteo pitch with the stands around the ring. Bret was mostly my champ but he did have a very successful run as tag team champion with Adam Bomb. Who later turned on Bret and him and Bam Bam Bigalow then took the belts. I think I had a He-Man toy that play Lex Luger very well. LOD, Warrior and Demolation made one killer stable.

Later on when all the WCW toys came out the the real action started. I made an entrance ramp from Lego. Used Videos or books as the stage and made the orginal Nitro entrance from Klinex? (Think that's what it was called) It was awesome. Alot of crazy stunts happen of that stage. Changed my ropes on the world WWF blue ring to black ones and got a load of masting tape, and covered the ring and drew the Nitro logo on the canvas. The biggest storyline I ran was a heel Goldberg had destroyed everyone in the fed (Much like the Rhino 2000 & 2001 ECW story) and out if no where Chris Beniot pin him for the title and him, Goldberg and Scott Stiener had a 3 way fued. Beniot did everything possible to keep hold of the belt.

I also would hold ECW like events where I got an old shoe box, stuck a couple of black socks on the top, to make the curtains. Cut out a broken wall and stuck that over it.

Wish I still had that stuff.....

Archived