Scottish Football Discussion Thread 2010/11

The Cum Doctor

• Paid Members
Totally agree dude but we are building a team and a pretty good team from what i can see... If he can sort it out at the back then there is pretty strong team...

That's what everybody was saying about Mowbray's team last season.

Lennon's signed the wrong players to win the League this season, I think. The foreign players are going to have to adapt to a different country, a different style of football and the pressure of playing for Celtic. He hasn't offloaded anybody either which has left the squad really rather bloated, and could cause problems in the dressing room.

I'm quite surprised though. I thought Lennon, of all people, would realise that Old Firm Managers don't have the luxury of time to build a team. I do wonder how long it will take Celtic fans will give him to get things right before calling for his head.

You can't judge that already, you have no idea whether the players will adapt or not.

True but I don't think it's unreasonable to say that it will take time for them to do so and that points are likely to be dropped in the process.

11 players have left, that is a whole team, so how has he not offloaded anybody?

Okay, I was exaggerating when I said he hadn't offloaded anybody but he really hasn't got rid of many first team players has he? Boruc, McManus, Naylor and maybe Zhi are the only ones that stand out. As Stevon pointed out the squad is still far too big and most of the players could have a reasonable expection of being in the first team. That could lead to problems in the dressing room because, realistically, some of them are never going to get a chance this season.

I don't know what you mean about having the 'luxury of time' when he still has the best part of a month left in the transfer windows and when Martin O'Neill used to leave most of his dealings to the last minute.

It takes longer than a month to build a team though. Yes, he can still buy and sell players but it'll still take a good while for them to develop an understanding and start playing as a unit, especially when there's language and cultural barriers to overcome. When I said he doesn't have the luxury of time to build a team, I meant Old Firm Managers are rarely given a "transitionary" season. Celtic are expected to win the League every year and, if they struggle for whatever reason, the Manager's job is immediately on the line. This is especially true this season given the money Lennon's spent, Rangers financial problems and the fact that we've lost our second Champion's League place.

On a positive note - Samaras seems to be finally getting a bit of form together, but we all know how quickly he shys off and Hooiveld is looking like a decent player. Also, there is that "look at Rangers" factor there as well, who have many of the same problems - but the squad seem to pull it together no matter how little resources they have at their disposal and that's probably down to the fact they've got Smith at the helm who's been there and done it so many times before.

I think a large part of it is the fact that the bulk of our players are either Rangers fans or at least appreciate how important it is to play for us. They aren't going to tolerate a lack of effort. Last season even when we played badly and nothing was going right, we'd keep going and fight to turn a loss into a draw or a draw into a win. In contrast Mowbray seemed to be actively trying to get rid of everybody that actually gave a shit about Celtic last season, including making Lennon make his own way to away games.

• Replies 3.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On a positive note - Samaras seems to be finally getting a bit of form together, but we all know how quickly he shys off

Said it before and I'll say it again, Samaras' problem is the Celtic fans. Sometimes makes me wonder why I go to the games when everything he does, he is called an arsehole, a fanny and everything else under the sun. He's a confidence player and no-one gives him the support he needs. Robbie Keane missed numerous one on ones when he first came but the fans still chanted his name and he went on a scoring run. Everything Samaras does is met with boos and abuse even when it's what any other player would have done. For fans to boo him when he got Man of the Match on Wednesday was a disgrace. Also the ones who say he's lazy, obviously don't even watch the games.

Give him a run in the team and he will get goals. 12 goals in 9 games at the start of last season before he got injured and then dropped to the bench. He has 33 goals in 59 starts for Celtic aswell, our fans would wank over the prospect of signing someone with that record the now.

Morton 0-0 Stirling

We've got ourselves much more solid at the back. Stirling didn't have a single chance on goal. The other good thing was that we stayed alert for 90 minutes and didn't look like conceding stupid late goals like we always do. Michael Tidser is some wee player and completely controlled the game in midfield. The new striker Stewart Kean is fucking horrific.

Not much more to add really. We're still blending as a new team so while it's a disappointing result, no need to panic.

My Team My Rangers

My Dear old friend

I have loved you since the day I dropped into the Earth.

You mean everything to me.

You have brought me shear joy

You have brought me sadness

You have given me Pride

You have never brought me shame

You are my bench mark

and you set standards

by which I hope to live my Life

You are my one Constant outwith my Blood

Girlfriends, Friends and even a spouse have come and gone

But you are always there

You affect me

You determin my moods

I divert my journeys off the M8 just to drive by you

You are my companion, my friend, my hero, my world

You have been mistreated and mismanaged

you are in a state of disrepair

But still, you are Rangers, MY Rangers THE Rangers, The Boys in Blue

You are McNeil and Vallance

Meiklejohn and Morton

Young, McPhail, Davis & Greig

I am your Child and your Brother

and Brothers I have many

all because of you

Greet me as a Stranger - I will be wary of you

Greet Me as a Ranger - I will offer you my hand and treat you as a friend

So with the season less than one week away

I wish you well old Friend

Give us 100% and we will back you to the hilt

The results are not important

But Effort and Commintment must never be lacking

I am sure you will rise from this finacial shambles

and God willing, see off the Hordes from the East for the 3rd year in a row

Fight and No Surrender

and

Bring it home again

53 and counting

We'll be with you

We are the people

:laugh:

I find it funny when either side of the Old Firm tries to take the high ground on anything. Everyone knows there are nutters on both sides; don't post that like it's any great revelation into the mind of a Rangers fan.

Wow, only took one Google search.

:thumbsup:

There is no high ground. Get a sense of humour about yourself you useless fuck. I mean, seriously. You are a fucking idiot.

Archived