Scottish Football Discussion Thread 2010/11

The Cum Doctor

• Replies 3.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Whereas we started with Zaluska, Loovens, Brown, Ledley, McGeady, Fortune' and Hooper. All of whom I'd say would be in our starting eleven as it stands. We also went on to bring on first teamers such as Maloney and Hinkel.

It was a good result, but it should be taken in perspective that Lyon started with 2-5 first teamers (according to what's being said on here) and we probably played most of our starting eleven at some point.

Confident(ish) of a win on Wednesday against Braga at home; whether or not it'll be enough to take it to extra time or win the game outright is another matter. I just don't see us scoring three goals against anybody at the moment.

Allan McGregor will start in goal for Scotland in next week's friendly against Sweden after being recalled for international duty by Craig Levein today.

The Rangers keeper's lifetime ban for his part in the 'Boozegate' saga was overturned by Levein when he took over from George Burley in December.

Levein, who is without his number one Craig Gordon for next Wednesday's friendly in Stockholm, has confirmed McGregor will be handed the starting jersey.

"Craig is out and in all reality, Allan will start in goals, that's no big secret," the Scotland boss said.

"I am pleased with the quality of goalkeepers we have.

"The loss of Craig Gordon is one of these things. It happens in football and I feel more sorry for the lad than I do myself.

"But Allan is an able deputy.

"All the stuff that has happened in the past will linger now and then but I am trying my best to get away from that.

"Allan has played in big matches and this match won't faze him."

Levein admits there were "no surprises" in his 23-man squad.

The Scotland boss also recalled Stephen McManus after dropping the Middlesbrough defender for the friendly against the Czech Republic in March.

Levein has called up four Boro players in total with Kevin Thomson, Barry Robson and Kris Boyd accompanying McManus up from the Riverside.

Rangers striker Kenny Miller was named despite shin splints hampering him during the Ibrox club's pre-season trip to Sydney and team-mate Kirk Broadfoot returns after fully recovering from the injury problems which blighted last season.

Ibrox team mate Lee McCulloch who hasn't played for Scotland since announcing his international retirement in September 2008, is also included in the squad. The 15-times capped midfielder, 32, was in excellent form for Rangers last season and was recalled by Levein for the friendly win over the Czechs in March.

But there is no place in the squad for Dundee United pair Paul Dixon and Garry Kenneth, Wigan defender Gary Caldwell and Aberdeen newboy Paul Hartley - all of whom featured against the Czechs.

Levein will get one last chance to see his players in action in Sweden before the Euro 2012 qualifying double-header against Lithuania and Liechtenstein at the start of September.

He said: "Normally when you are looking at players, there is a certain percentage in your squad which are based on current form and obviously at this time of the year, that is quite difficult.

"So the majority of guys have been picked on what they have done in the past, rather than what they are doing now.

"Between now and the start of actual qualifiers is the most important part and I will look at who is in form and make up my own mind for the Lithuania and Liechtenstein games."

The squad for the game against Sweden on August 11th is;

Alexander (Rangers)

Marshall (Cardiff)

McGregor (Rangers)

Hutton (Tottenham)

Berra (Wolves)

Broadfoot (Rangers)

McManus (Middlesbrough)

Wallace (Hearts)

Webster (Rangers)

Whittaker (Rangers)

Adam (Blackpool)

Brown (Celtic)

Dorrans (West Brom)

Fletcher (Manchester United)

McCulloch (Rangers)

Morrison (West Bromwich Albion)

Robson (Middlesbrough)

Thomson (Middlesbrough)

Boyd (Middlesbrough)

Fletcher (Wolves)

Iwelumo (Burnley)

McFadden (Birmingham)

Miller (Rangers)

Also, for anyone who may be interested;

Scotland Under-21 coach Billy Stark has promoted three English-based players for next month's friendly against Sweden. Blackburn defender Grant Hanley, Hull midfielder Tom Cairney and Newcastle midfielder Bradden Inman will all make the step-up from under-19 level for the 11 August clash at St Mirren Park. The uncapped Danny Wilson is also in the squad following his

Whereas we started with Zaluska, Loovens, Brown, Ledley, McGeady, Fortune' and Hooper. All of whom I'd say would be in our starting eleven as it stands. We also went on to bring on first teamers such as Maloney and Hinkel.

It was a good result, but it should be taken in perspective that Lyon started with 2-5 first teamers (according to what's being said on here) and we probably played most of our starting eleven at some point.

Confident(ish) of a win on Wednesday against Braga at home; whether or not it'll be enough to take it to extra time or win the game outright is another matter. I just don't see us scoring three goals against anybody at the moment.

I can see us scoring three, it's the conceding none part I'm worrying about.

Really? I just don't see where the goals are going to come from! Samaras tends to shy up when it matters, Fortune' is hardly a goal scoring machine and Hooper/Murphy are unproven as it stands.

Also, the task is made even more difficult by the fact we need FIVE goals if Braga manage to put one past Zaluska. I reckon they'll come at us from the opening whistle for the first 10-20 minutes, if they score, we're fucked.

I'll still be behind the team come Wednesday night - I just don't see it happening for us unfortionately.

Celtic boss Neil Lennon expects Aiden McGeady to make a quick decision over his prospective move to Spartak Moscow.

McGeady is due to have talks with the Russian club after Celtic accepted a substantial bid for the winger believed to be close to

Celtic boss Neil Lennon expects Aiden McGeady to make a quick decision over his prospective move to Spartak Moscow.

McGeady is due to have talks with the Russian club after Celtic accepted a substantial bid for the winger believed to be close to

• Paid Members
I personally wouldn't mind seeing him at a club like Liverpool.

It could be that he just needs a bit more competition to give him a kick start.

He might be better suited in the prem as teams normally have more attacking options then what Celtic did last year. So in the prem he might get some more space. A club like Sunderland would suit him. Don't think he would get in Villa, Spurs and above. Personally I think he would be allot like Maloney in the prem. He is not as good at dead bawl situations or with a good delivery but with allot more pace. He is a better player when he runs towards the goal and not towards the corners.

Personally I think he would be allot like Maloney in the prem. He is not as good at dead bawl situations or with a good delivery but with allot more pace. He is a better player when he runs towards the goal and not towards the corners.

Referee-Dougie-McDonald-001.jpg

He was always an expert moaner, so i'm sure he'd be great in dead bawl situations regardless of where he played.

Archived