Scottish Football Discussion Thread 2010/11

The Cum Doctor

• Paid Members
Aye, but Davie Weir and Christian Dailly are both still operating at a higher level than Craigan. Craggs, as much as I love the guy, is getting shown up more frequently these days.

Christian Dailly is not operating at a higher level than Stephen Craigain. That's a ridiculous statement to make.

People can be down on the SPL all they like, but it's better than the 3rd tier of English football. Paying more money isn't a sign of standard. If it was then leagues like China would be almost top of the tree.

Plus Craigan is still playing at an International level is he not?

I really don't think it is better, barring Celtic and Rangers (and even then someone like Kris Commons was a good championship player and has looked top class in the SPL) I'd imagine every other SPL team is League One at best, I don't think any of them would survive the Championship.

• Replies 3.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Paid Members
Aye, but Davie Weir and Christian Dailly are both still operating at a higher level than Craigan. Craggs, as much as I love the guy, is getting shown up more frequently these days.

Christian Dailly is not operating at a higher level than Stephen Craigain. That's a ridiculous statement to make.

People can be down on the SPL all they like, but it's better than the 3rd tier of English football. Paying more money isn't a sign of standard. If it was then leagues like China would be almost top of the tree.

Plus Craigan is still playing at an International level is he not?

I really don't think it is better, barring Celtic and Rangers (and even then someone like Kris Commons was a good championship player and has looked top class in the SPL) I'd imagine every other SPL team is League One at best, I don't think any of them would survive the Championship.

That's an absolute nonsense statement. You only need to look at how often the Championship raids the SPL, and does so successfully at that. The likes of Hearts, Dundee Utd, Hibs and Aberdeen would do just fine in the Championship.

• Paid Members
Charlie Adam was pretty much a bit part player at Rangers. He stormed the Championship and Liverpool want him for 10 million.

You want to keep doing this?

One example, well done. Generally when the Championship "raids" the SPL it takes it's best players and leaves the shite behind. Look at the likes of St. Johnstone and Hamilton etc, they'd have no chance the in the Championship. I'm not down on Scottish football, just saying what I think before you all go braveheart on me.

• Paid Members
Charlie Adam was pretty much a bit part player at Rangers. He stormed the Championship and Liverpool want him for 10 million.

You want to keep doing this?

James McCarthy is being touted down there as a

Lets take a wee step OUT of the SPL.

Robert Snodgrass. Found himself out of favour at Livingston and wound up on the bench at Second Division Stirling Albion. He has found himself at Leeds United and has stood out there. Graeme Dorrans also went from Livingston to West Brom and hasn't exactly been shite in the EPL. Stephen Dobbie doing well for Swansea after being a QoS striker? That's without even LOOKING for examples.

EDIT: Oh, and the relegation sides in the SPL WOULD struggle in the championship. Hamilton would probably have a Derby season. But most of the clubs would do fine in the Championship even if they would fucking bomb in the EPL.

• Paid Members

I'm not debating whether or not Scotland has produced good individual talents as thats obviously the case. How does Snodgrass obviously being good mean that SPL sides would survive the Championship?

I'm not debating whether or not Scotland has produced good individual talents as thats obviously the case. How does Snodgrass obviously being good mean that SPL sides would survive the Championship?

It's at least more than your "meh, they're shit" arguement.

• Paid Members

It's at least more than your "meh, they're shit" arguement.

Look at Middlesbrough, signed arguably some of the best players in the SPL with plenty of league winners medals between them and it has only made the team go backwards, Kris Boyd the SPL's record goalscorer looked average all year at Boro in the Championship, although to be fair he did play well during his loan at Forest. I do like Scottish football I just think theres been a huge decline in the standard of the league within the last 10 years since the start of the O'Neil days at Celtic.

Look at Middlesbrough, signed arguably some of the best players in the SPL

Robson and McDonald are the only two who I would say would rank among the better SPL players that Boro signed.

Kris Boyd the SPL's record goalscorer looked average all year at Boro in the Championship, although to be fair he did play well during his loan at Forest.

Indeed. That says more for Boro than it does for the SPL, when you consider the last point.

One player doesn't make a team though. Boyd is a limited player who would score a barrowload of goals if given the opportunity (like he got at Rangers). From what I recall, Middlesbrough didn't exactly have much width. Willo Flood has come back up to Tannadice following his spell there. He did well for Boro and was a popular player in the short time he played before his injuries, but as he said himself "It wasn't the Scottish lads who got Boro relegated".

See, Championship fans will look at Boyd and say 'This proves that the SPL is no good', while fans of Scottish football would say 'The success Stephen Dobbie has had in the Championship proves how poor the quality is". Neither is 100% the case.

Nobody is arguing that a team like Hamilton would struggle in the Championship - of course they would. But two of their players now play reasonably regular football for a Premiership side along with a guy who before this season was considered to be one of the poorer players in the SPL (Connor Sammon). If someone predicted that would happen 3 years ago, a lot of English fans would say that was rubbish.

There's no doubting that there are a lot of good individual talents playing in the Championship, League One and League Two, but much like the SPL, squads are also made up of a lot of average footballers as well.

Ultimately, there's no way to say if one team could survive in a completely different league.

• Paid Members

As someone who watched Sammon weekly over here his success in Scotland and move to Wigan has really shocked me. He looked average over here and very Raw, fair play to whoever at Kilmarnock coaxed his talent out of him because he looks at different player, he's not looked out of place in his few apperances at Wigan though whether he makes it in the PL or not remains to be seen. I thought we were lucky to get 50k off Kilmarnock for him really :blush: but fair play to him, he's a really top guy aswell really down to earth, chuffed for him hes been so succesful.

• Paid Members
I really don't see how mentioning a few good individuals who've come out of Scotland in recent years is supporting your argument, their the exception not the rule, for every James McCarthy, Steven Fletcher etc theres a Russel Anderson etd. Scotland has prouduced some fantastic managers though i'd agree on that.

Terrible example. Anderson was injured throughout his time at Sunderland which stopped him playing. A flop due to injury is hardly the same as a flop due to being shite.

Look at Middlesbrough, signed arguably some of the best players in the SPL

Robson and McDonald are the only two who I would say would rank among the better SPL players that Boro signed.

Lee Miller was worth every penny Boro paid us for him. :laugh:

God bless you Gordon Strachan!

Archived