Wrestling Books

Bring Back Minipops

What's weird about that is in the book Terry makes some surprising errors about the parents of Billy Bob, wikipedia has his parents called other names. You would think Terry would know better since its his family but then again....

Terry's book was the 22nd wrestling autobiography I have read, 23rd coming up as I have just ordered Harley Race book, I get the feeling its going to be similar to Terry's book and probably tell some of the same stories as they were from the same generation but be interesting to hear it from a straight shooter like Race.

I really wish Ricky Steamboat would write a book...here's hoping that one day he will!

Edited by C-Rock

The JYD book I'm sorry to say was probably the worst biography I have read, my full review is some where in this thread but to some up...

Obviously because of his death the book is wrote by somebody else and from the first page the writer comes across like he really isn't the most knowledgeable person on wrestling in general, most of what he says could be found on JYD's wikipedia or through a little bit of research, he repeats himself a lot in regards to how JYD got his name and his impact as one of, if not they first black star in wrestling. The writer often goes off subject and rambles on about other wrestling stars of that era again filling us with simple infomation that could be found on the internet. There's nothing in the way of locker room stories or JYD's personal feelings on his career due again his death in 98 I believe it was. Most of his career is glossed over more importantly his jump to the WWE during Vince McMahon's take over of the terriories in the 80's. His death and family life is summed up in 2 short paragraphs. Unlike other autobiographies at the end of the book, I really didn't feel I knew a great deal more about the JYD or the man himself Slyvester Ritter. AVOID THIS BOOK! its a shame a book on a obvious legend and revolutionary key player during arguably the golden era of wrestling was so half arsed written.

If you haven't read it already I highly recommend Hacksaw Jim Duggan's book its a really fun read, also the book wrote by Jimmy Snuka is a very decent read, very in depth and he talks openly about the murder case he was involved in which is an interesting read, whether you believe his story at the end is up to you however, I'm on the fence still.

Edited by C-Rock

• Paid Members
If you haven't read it already I highly recommend Hacksaw Jim Duggan's book its a really fun read, also the book wrote by Jimmy Snuka is a very decent read, very in depth and he talks openly about the murder case he was involved in which is an interesting read, whether you believe his story at the end is up to you however, I'm on the fence still.

I have just ordered Hacksaw's

I agree with Herbie above regarding Holly's book . I actually enjoyed reading about other things in his life as well.

I red Lugers recently and wasn't to impressed tbh.

• 3 weeks later...

Read Holly's book recently. I really enjoyed it. Are there any other major new autobiographies in the pipeline? I know Jericho has a third book coming out soon. Would love to see Paul Heyman autobiography. A JBL one could be interesting too but only if he were outside the WWE. I'd imagine he'd pull no punches.

Just finished Jerichos 2nd, although not as good as his first, still a great read.

Having already read Brets, Foleys 1st, Rocks, Austin's, Eddys and Jerichos 1st, I'm thinking Holly's or Foleys 2nd next?

Which is better?

At the time Foley's 2nd book was fantastic (2nd only in quality to his 1st), but I honestly don't know how I'd feel about either of them if I went back and re-read them now after watching him work as hard as possible to destroy his legacy over the last decade. It's probably one of the greatest fall from graces you'll ever see. The guy was worshipped almost universally 15 years ago, and now he's just seen as a fat over-sensitive joke.

• Paid Members

It would be fitting if Paul Heyman's book would be the only piece of literature where your high street vouchers bounce in WHSmiths.

I read bits of Foley's 2nd book recently and its really bad. Amazing consider how much I loved it when it came out. Its Foley complaining about Tony Schiavone, Foley burying WCW, Foley slagging people off for keep coming back after they retire, Foley crying about the PTC, Foley talking about how nobody does drugs in wrestling anymore (book was released the same day Shawn Michaels was sent home, which was always a good laugh at the time). Its Father Ted's A Christmassy Ted speech. I bet if Foley's last 2 shit books came out in 2000, we'd have liked that as well. Foley was easily forgiven in the late 90s and early 2000s.

I must say, we went to visit family about a year ago and I took Foley's first book along for the ride for some reason. Still holds up. Just a brilliant book.

Edited by IANdrewDiceClay

Foley Is Good is where the cracks in his personality start to show. He's so much more conscious of his own character as a writer in it that the whole thing reads as an endless balancing act between "here is some issues I, Mick Foley, have" and "but I'm still a nice guy. So this time me and Scotty II Hotty were in Burger King ..."

• Paid Members

Pat Patterson is writing a book.

-Jim Ross on Pat Patterson: "I'm told Pat Patterson is writing his memoirs and after seeing much of Pat's photo collection from over his career I'm betting the book will be great. Pat has a tremendous sense of humor and was one of the best in ring performers ever along with being a tremendous wrestling strategist. Pat's journey as a gay man in a largely homophobic, alpha Caucasian male, good old boys network known as pro wrestling in the territory days is one of courage and conviction. I can't wait to read it. I learned a great deal about the wrestling biz and life from Pat."

That should be amazing.