The Metal/Punk/Rock Thread

Egg Shen

Bloodstock doesn't look to appealing to me but i'm tempted to go for a day just to see Alcest and Iced Earth, hopefully Alcest play the same time as Watain so i can totally miss their god awful selves.

I'm still considering going to Bloodstock but this is the exact clash I don't want to happen. I love Watain and their brilliant stage set up combined with their phenomenal tunes on a main stage will be fantastic to behold as long as it's not done in the sunlight. Alcest are also fantastic and after seeing them last monday in Glasgow, I cannot wait to see them again. I'm just hoping that there's no more power metal to come and more black and death metal. If Bloodstock get Bolt Thrower then I think I'm sold. Otherwise the overall line up is a complete meh compared to Hellfest for me.

Watain pretty much stick out as the most generic of generic when it comes to black metal to me but i guess i have a chip on my shoulder when it comes to thier imagery and ideology as much as anything else.

If you haven't already i'd say have a look at Roadburn festivals line-up this year, an awesome mix of the more extreme/doom/post metal and experimental scenes.

• 4 weeks later...
  • Paid Members
municipal-waste-the-fatal-feast-waste-in-space-.jpg

New Municipal Waste cover artwork. I think it's pretty fucking badass. Let's just hope the music is better than the last album which I was hugely dissapointed by and we get the standard of songs they were putting out on Hazardouse Mutation.

I see this is around for download now, gonna give it a listen in a bit, have high hopes for it, hope the boys are back to their best.

• 2 weeks later...

Was having a conversation about this last night...obviously we natter away with mates or like-minded people on forums about aggressive forms of music without a second thought, but how do you describe what you like to people who aren't in the know? Or do you bother at all? Sometimes I find it easier to just completely dismiss it, like 'oh you wouldn't have heard of them'.

On the other hand, my girlfriend is into Rnb and Hip Hop and has little knowledge of heavy music but she's still pretty cool about it. If im listening to something completely daft like Grindcore, she tends to just smile and say 'mental'. Which really, it is! Luckily shes not one of these 'it's just noise/shit' types

• Paid Members

yeh, i see what your saying. If i find someone i can have a proper chat with it's great but the majority of the time it's easier just to say 'i like rock music' and leave it like that. I've been present when a metal fan will try and shove some aggressive form of music down a pop fan's throat and it's just an embarrasing situation.

I also find it very hard to have a conversation with metal fans that only have a mainstream love of the genre, not so much because i don't like the bands they like but more because they are so f'n dismissive of anything which isn't popular and that really grips my shit.

I keep it to myself more often than not though.

I'm the same with my partner. We like what we like and don't try to force it on eachother. She likes some of the softer songs (she loves 'Angel' by Judas Priest and is fond of Metallica's 'Nothing Else Matters) but its safe to say checking Carcass or Morbid Angel anytime soon. Regarding the heavier death metal side of things, she does respect the players ability when it comes to performing but its not something she would chose to listen to

• Paid Members
I also find it very hard to have a conversation with metal fans that only have a mainstream love of the genre, not so much because i don't like the bands they like but more because they are so f'n dismissive of anything which isn't popular and that really grips my shit.

If anything, the opposite of this is far worse. I really hate how elitist extreme metal fans can be at times.

• Paid Members

Metal fans often get a hard time for being elitist/close minded but in my experience they're no worse than fans of any other genre. Go to Reading or Leeds festival & the hipster indie types will lap up anything that's current & dismiss anything that not's deemed trendy, regardless of quality (Faith No More playing to a half empty tent after headlining Download the same year). Pendulum, Prodigy & this year Chase and Status will get great responses & huge crowds at Download. When Machine Head get a brilliant response on the mainstage at Creamfields/Global Gathering I'll accept that fans of other genres are less elitist.

• Paid Members

yeh, i agree. I think i kinda sit somewhere in the middle. I'm just a metal/rock fan, i definitly don't show off that i know stuff, and i certainly don't think my taste in music is better than anyone else's. But if someone wants to talk metal with me i will.

I remember a year back we were having a bit of all nighter in my mates garden when a friends girlfriend showed up after a night out. Another mate who happens to be a bit of a punk fanatic tried to give this girl a lecture on why punk is great and pop music is shit (girl likes everyday chart music), it was f'n grim, the girl clearly didn't care and the boy just came off as an arrogant twat. In them situation's i think it's best to say 'each to their own' and let everyone enjoy what they wanna enjoy.

I always laugh off the 'it's just noise' fuckers though, and the classic 'rah rah music' line which just sounds ridiculous. I've been encountering that sort of stuff since i was a young teen, i probably got more defensive when i was 16 but now i don't care.

• Paid Members
being a metal fan is a lot similar to being a pro wrestling fan :laugh: the two go hand in hand.

I'm proud of being a metal fan but I'm a closet wrestling fan, I wear metal tshirts but not wrestling ones.

If someone asks me what music I like I usually say 80s thrash metal but then give a bit of a speech about how I love music and have extremely eclectic tastes but don't really listen to much modern mainstream stuff