The Metal/Punk/Rock Thread

Egg Shen

The camping experience depends on the festival I find. We had a great time last year at Bloodstock with the exception of some pillocks bin-jousting on the Saturday night. Download is fine for the most part if you can up with people shouting the same Game of Thrones reference and singing Tenacious D 'a 'Tribute' mimicking every Jack Black inflection all fucking weekend

Edited by WyattSheepMask

I remember there being lots of people shouting butt scratcher at the top of their lungs the last time I went. Also a load of twats setting fire to their tents on the Sunday night. The thing is that the main 2 camp sites tended to be full of overly excited teenagers, but the other sites were a bit more sedate.

Oh yeah, the one Family Guy reference too. That gets annoying. Long gone are the days when the shouting had a theme. Once at Leeds Festival we had a name an old wrestler theme, which then somehow change to old Footballers and someone broke all of us by shouting "TONY CASCARINO!"

Edited by WyattSheepMask

The thing is that the main 2 camp sites tended to be full of overly excited teenagers, but the other sites were a bit more sedate.

Agreed. The main campsites at Download are not my cup of tea, but plenty of nice places to camp for an enjoyable weekend.

Oh yeah, the one Family Guy reference too. That gets annoying. Long gone are the days when the shouting had a theme. Once at Leeds Festival we had a name an old wrestler theme, which then somehow change to old Footballers and someone broke all of us by shouting "TONY CASCARINO!"

Leeds festival is the one festival i really have no love for camping at. The Monday morning of Leeds Fest is always like a warzone. Tents on firs all over, gas canisters being dumped on fires etc etc. It's nowhere near as bad as it once was. But it's just not a fest where camping adds to the experience. 2002 will always be the Leeds i remember most with the hugs police presence, massive fires and riot.

Yeah shouts at camping at festivals is always there. Was 'Jimmy you've forgotten your Sandwiches' last time I did a weekender sometime ago after the Lucozade advert. will take on a different form each year. Camping is great and there's usually people wondering about or to talk to or whatever, really does add to things, despite the potential pitfalls. One of my friends does Download at a Hotel, she doesnt like the mud and stuff, but still manages to have a great time.. 

Different strokes for different folks I guess 

• Paid Members

The thing is that the main 2 camp sites tended to be full of overly excited teenagers, but the other sites were a bit more sedate.

Agreed. The main campsites at Download are not my cup of tea, but plenty of nice places to camp for an enjoyable weekend.

Leeds festival is the one festival i really have no love for camping at. The Monday morning of Leeds Fest is always like a warzone. Tents on firs all over, gas canisters being dumped on fires etc etc. It's nowhere near as bad as it once was. But it's just not a fest where camping adds to the experience. 2002 will always be the Leeds i remember most with the hugs police presence, massive fires and riot.

i was there in 2002, it was absolute bedlam.

I went to the Leeds Festival every year from 2000 to 2006 and it was always nuts but that 2002 one was madness. A mate of mine ended up on the Leeds Most Wanted list of hoodlums wanted by the Yorkshite Police for damages done (he was basically at the forefront of the toilet burning) at the festival and another girl i was with was hospitalized after getting hit by a policeman unprovoked.

I always enjoyed the carnage of the campsites in them days (except for the violent aspect of 2002), it all felt like a part of the experience but nowadays i like it as quiet as possible. At Bloodstock last year we found a little side campsite which was really quiet, it made the whole weekend easier. We would trek into the main campsites to see a bit of the bin jousting but i'd hate to be camped amongst that lot...and i'll never understand the people who pitch up tents next to the main footpath.

Yeah, we were at Leeds in 2002 as well but were quite a way away from all the skit that went down. We could see the smoke though but not close enough to be what you call involved in it all.

We were towards the back corner of Midgard at last years Bloodstock. Aside from the one night of bin jousting it was real easy going and a stones throw from the all day breakfast van.

I too never understand why people camp on the main footpath. I suppose it takes the hassle out of stepping over ropes but if it belts it down and the ground just go to shit your fucked

Edited by WyattSheepMask

We always used to camp in Hel, but then we arrived last year and found someone had planted a bunch of trees in there and the campsite was about half the size and full already. So we pitched up the top corner of Midgard also. Pretty quiet weekend, much less in the way of bin jousting this year, but i got the feeling security were well prepared for that this year.

Loving this tune at the moment. Actually got to watch them play this from the side of the stage at Bloodstock last year. Fun times.