The Metal/Punk/Rock Thread

Egg Shen

• Paid Members

Few boys i know are going to Hellfest and are trying to convince me to go. The appeal really is to just goto a European Festival but im reluctant to fork out the cash as well as going to Bloodstock.

Anyone been? Hows the experience?

Few boys i know are going to Hellfest and are trying to convince me to go. The appeal really is to just goto a European Festival but im reluctant to fork out the cash as well as going to Bloodstock.

Anyone been? Hows the experience?

I haven't been to Hellfest but European festivals definitely have a different atmosphere.  I've been Brutal Assault, Metal Camp and Sziget, aswell as a few very small ones.  And loved all of them.

• Paid Members

I really want to go to Roadburn next year, it's usually a great mix of doom metal and weird electronic artists and next yeah they've got Goblin scoring both Susperia and Dawn of the Dead.

I never want to listen to them as I'll no doubt be a bit disappointed but this band name really stuck out...

oFUT604.jpg

I really want to go to Roadburn next year, it's usually a great mix of doom metal and weird electronic artists and next yeah they've got Goblin scoring both Susperia and Dawn of the Dead.

I never want to listen to them as I'll no doubt be a bit disappointed but this band name really stuck out...

oFUT604.jpg

Was checking out the Hellfest lineup and came across some gems as far as names go.. 'Prostitute Disfigurement' and 'Cock and Ball Torture' had to be my favourites.

Edited by truthofsin

• Paid Members

Mastodon are playing the O2 Academy in Glasgow next week. I thought it might be good to check out some live music whilst I'm here anyway.

How are they live?

And does anyone know how big the venue is?

O2 Academy holds about 2,500. Downstairs completely standing room. Side balconys are standing and the balcony face onto the stage is all seating.

Can't help on whether Mastodon are good live or not. Not seen them unfortunately.

Edited by Bettencourt

• Moderators

Ah OK. I only really know one of their albums. Maybe if there was a bit more time to digest their disco I'd give it a go, but as it is maybe I'll give it a miss.

There seems to be plenty of gigs on in Glasgow anyway so I'm sure I'll find something I like the look of. Was very annoyed to find that MOP are playing in London when I'm up here, and are playing up here when I'm back home!!

From a playing standpoint they're one of the tightest live acts you 'll ever see, but if you know the material on more than a casual level you will appreciate that more. Saying that they only tend to play a select few from the earlier albums these days, most stuff comes from Crack The Skye, The Hunter and I imagine there will be a fair amount from One More Round The Sun on this tour

Quite suprised to see that day tickets (£82.50) for Download are already on sale.

Edited by WyattSheepMask

• Paid Members

probably due to the poor attendance last year.

Well, a few of my mates have booked Hellfest tickets, another mate is trying to guilt me into going with him. Since i've been into music i've always wanted to goto a European Festival, ive never done it, but now i've got the chance i'm really not feeling it.

I've been to around 20 full weekend festivals now, i've looked into it a little more and the appeal of going to a massive festival in boiling French weather (reports are the weather was unbearably hot last year), all i can picture is my conveniant little Bloodstock gig, small, easy access to campsites, easy access to supermarkets outside the site, short drive. I've slummed it before, and i don't think i could do it again...ive read Hellfest experiences and they all seem to say the festival is amazing music-wise, but it's hard going.

My mate is guilting me cause he's acting like if i don't go, he won't go but i think when you dread something more than you're excited for it it's probably best to sit it out.

Maybe i just need to man up?

Edited by Ebb