The Metal/Punk/Rock Thread

Egg Shen

Im also one for loving the Load-era Metallica. oad is a fucking belter of an album ,and Reload definately has its moments too. While the production of St Anger has been talked about so much i wont go on about it anymore here, all I'll say is that, for me, it is Metallica's weakest record. The final third of the album is actually pretty decent, but you need to get through alot of bad stuff before you get it.

regarding Lulu...well, its pretty fucking shocking for the most-part, but its also far from the worst thing you will ever hear in your life musically. Lou Reed is fucking diaboloical, but the instrumentation is solid. If they saw it something they needed to do, its best they get it out of their system before going to work on the new, proper Metallica album.

Metallica seem to be damned if they do and damned if they dont. People will either bitch and moan for them chaning their direction from straight-up metal and being 'sellouts' because of it, or people will moan if they simply do a 'metal-by-numbers' album and say that they are just trying to please hardcore fans.

The Load/Reload-era was a gutsy move by the band in terms of actually trying something new by their standards, and they should be commended for that rather than simply sticking to the same formula album after album (think Slayer's back catolouge). At the end of the day, Metallica will make the album that they want to make. Everywhere they go, people turn out to see them because they know that when it comes to seeing Metallica live, you are going to get the best of the best from them in terms of a set. Put it simply, their is a reason why Metallica are the biggest metal band in the world.

Sabbath, Judas Priest and Iron Maiden laid the groundwork, and Metallica took it to the next step

It's Slayer for me. Not a fan of Maiden or Metallica. Sabbath would come a close second.

I'm currently enjoying the new Lostprophets album. It's the most 'commercial rock' album they've done but it's great. Every review i've read has said it's a grower and i totally agree. And at risk of being slated even more, i love the latest Enter Shikari album.

Also gave Lamb of God's new album 1 listen. It's good but more of the same from them. It's real heavy but does seem to have a couple of 'Roadrunner' tracks but maybe that's me thinking too much.

Cannot wait for the new Gojira album.

I'm currently enjoying the new Lostprophets album. It's the most 'commercial rock' album they've done but it's great. Every review i've read has said it's a grower and i totally agree. And at risk of being slated even more, i love the latest Enter Shikari album.

Not sure it's anymore commercial than "Start Something", but it's still a good wee album. I think the Enter Shikari album overdoes it on the dubstep at times.

• Paid Members

I'd always subscribed to the theory that Sabbath invented metal & Metallica perfected it. KoM is absolutely spot on about the 'damned if they do damned if they don't' situation Metallica are in. I think they got a lot of unwarranted shit over the whole 'Lulu' thing, they said as soon as it was announced that it wasn't a 'Metallica' album (something a load of lazy, hack journo's ignored) it was just something they wanted to do & why shouldn't they? For people my age Lou Reed might not hold such iconic status but for a bunch of blokes about 50, all from San Francisco I imagine getting the chance to work with Lou Reed would be like Kurt Cobain or Chuck D to me.

Any band that's been around as long as Metallica have are bound to have released a couple of sub-par albums. Maiden had a low point in the 90's when their drawing power was reduced but despite all the criticisms Metallica received over Load/Reload & St Anger they've never lost their live appeal & are still one of the 'safest' festival bookings in the world.

Not sure it's anymore commercial than "Start Something", but it's still a good wee album. I think the Enter Shikari album overdoes it on the dubstep at times.

I think it's there first album with no real 'metal' sounding songs or moments. Start Something had, off the top of my head, at least the title track and We Are Godzilla... which are much heavier sounding than anything off Weapons. But anyway, yeah i think it might be up there with my favourite Lostprophets album.

You're all wrong, Ronnie James Dio IS Metal.

Honestly though, i has to be Metallica even though i personally don't care for the majority of their output (their style of metal generally isn't my cup of tea) but they are the biggest and most well known. Sabbath are a close 2nd though and for me the ultimate big metal band in regards of my musical taste, both Ozzy and Dio eras.

You're all wrong, Ronnie James Dio IS Metal.

Honestly though, i has to be Metallica even though i personally don't care for the majority of their output (their style of metal generally isn't my cup of tea) but they are the biggest and most well known. Sabbath are a close 2nd though and for me the ultimate big metal band in regards of my musical taste, both Ozzy and Dio eras.

The Dio thing is a different argument altogether as to what you consider 'metal' to be. Don't get me wrong, I'm a humongous RJD fan aswell as a massive Metallica fan, but as to what metal is? Is it the balls to the wall loud thrash style of Metallica, or is RJD Dungeons & Dragons style the TRUE meaning of metal. Like I said before, there is a reason why Metallica are a headline act wherever they go, they don't play second to anyone. And at this stage of their career they need to prove anything to anyone in terms of musical output

Even the Sabbath stuff without Ozzy or Dio is ok in places, but Dio's vocals were so fucking rightous, particularly on 'The Mob Rules' album

Yep Im a fan of Load & ReLoad, my favorite 'tallica track is 'Until it Sleeps'

Other goods songs like 'Fuel' Memory Remains' 'King Nothing' 'Unforgiven 2'

Not a fan of Iron Maiden really, I like a few songs but to me some of there songs sound 'samey'

My top bands are H.I.M, 69 Eyes and Alter Bridge

• Paid Members
simply sticking to the same formula album after album (think Slayer's back catolouge)

oh, less of it! there'll be no Slayer bashing on here.

i always thought Manowar were the metal band?

simply sticking to the same formula album after album (think Slayer's back catolouge)

oh, less of it! there'll be no Slayer bashing on here.

i always thought Manowar were the metal band?

I wasn't bashing Slayer at all, they are another band that I love. But compared to Metallica, you know what your going to get with a new Slayer album compared to when Metallica put out a new album, as Slayer have firmly stuck to thier guns knowing what brought them to the dance.

As for Manowar....again, love them as a band. I've said before, they embody everything that is both completely awesome about metal and everything thats totally stupid about it in equal measure. Im firmly a fan of the music-sdie of them. When I went to see them over here last year, it was kind of embaressing hearing other people there claiming to be 'warriors of metal' as if they were some kind of viking