The Metal/Punk/Rock Thread

Egg Shen

• Paid Members

I'm far from an expert, having not heard either album all the way through, but I imagine a lot of the hate for Load and Reload probably came from long-time fans of the band not liking a new direction (which would be far from the first such instance in the history of music).

• Paid Members

i think the dislike for Metallica's back catalogue is understandable, the changes in direction were clearly not going to please everyone. I like all their stuff depending on what kinda mood im in.

• Moderators
Kill 'em All is horribly over looked it seems, it was a fun ballsy thrash/speed metal album that didn't have as much of the poncing about and technical wizardry of the other pre-Black Albums LP's and personally i think it's all the better for it.

If anything the solos are even more poncing and widdly on Kill em All, because it's all about fast widdly guitars, which later got usurped by more thoughts about actual melody and song structure.

I think your affinity for it is because of the lofi cheapass sounding production, which you are mistaking for a lack of pretention.

It's a great first album, with some top tunes... but it's a million miles off the masterpiece that is Master of Puppets.

I tend to agree on "Reload" when it comes to rubbishing Metallica albums. The sound on "St. Anger" is just incredibly off putting. Maybe more listens would do it justice more, but I tend to think with different production, I'd be much kinder on it. "S&M" is actually my favourite Metallica recording, live or otherwise. I love most of "Load" but reckon it could have lost a couple of tracks. "Death Magnetic" is yer standard hit and miss album as well.

Going to the pre-Black stuff, there's not a song I don't love outside of "Metal Militia", and the self-titled itself is probably my second favourite studio album they've done behind "...And Justice for All".

Yeah, I love Metallica.

This raises an important question, who is everyone's ultimate metal band...?

Mine is Metallica, obviously.

Just to clarify, I don't necessarily mean your favourite band but who is synonymous with 'metal', and the ultimate legends of the genre.

Iron Maiden for me, easily. Then probably Megadeth, although Dave Mustaine acting the cunt lately has turned me off them a little.

Probably not heavy enough for this thread, but can anyone recommend any new punkish bands for me to check out? The Riot Before and The King Blues, two of my favourite bands, both split up in the past few months so I need some new music. Thanks!

Edited by DeanoTheGame

Either Metallica, Iron Maiden, Black Sabbath or Judas Priest for me.