MMA: Past Fight Discussion

Egg Shen

• Paid Members

on too the 2nd season... 8 teams instead of 4 :)

IFL Portland 9/9/2006

Chris Horodecki vs Ed West: Horodecki became the star of lower league MMA around this time, just 18 at this time. Ed West fights for the sabres coached by ANOTONIO FUCKING INOKI!!! star power in the IFL (incidentally Inoki isn't in attendance, hmmmn). Horodecki doesn't have this all his own way, West is a persistent little fucker who makes Horodecki work for this. Horodecki's insistence to goto the ground against a guy who primarily wants to fight on the ground echo's what Horodecki did against Cowboy Cerrone, he makes some strange decisions, it gets him into some unnecessary awkward positions. Horodecki took the decision by unanimous decision.

i'll update this when i watch the rest.

Edited by Ebb

• 2 weeks later...
  • Paid Members

got my 'Best of WEC' Blu Ray today so i rewatched:

Donald Cerrone vs. Benson Henderson - WEC 43

This was widely regarded as fight of the year for '09, and it's billed as this on the blu ray. This is the first time ive seen it since the event, and as much as i hate to say it...it doesn't really hold up on second viewing.

The opening round begins with Henderson getting caught in a supertight guillotine (ironic seeing's as the 2nd fights started the same but in reverse), Henderson fights out of it but falls straight into a triangle which he also fights out of, the rest of the fight plays out with Henderson in a crouched standing position above Cerrone's guard where he fires down all kinds of ground and pound. The fight basically plays out in similar fashion for the following five rounds... Henderson i think clearly takes round 2 & 3 through superior grappling, yet in rounds 4 & 5 Henderson again gets caught in some ridiculous submissions and somehow fights out of them.

cerrone_henderson_choke.jpg

that's basically the fight, i remember losing my shit watching it at the time...but i suppose knowing that Henderson escapes everything it kind of kills the suspense created first time around (which is always going to be the case watching someone you know the result of), but other than the submission escapes not a lot happens. There's little to no standup in the entire fight and outside of Henderson's heroic's it's not all that eventful. Shame.

What this fight does work as a great example of is...how to score certain MMA fights, in the fight standup is pretty much void, but on the grappling side you have a guy who scores all the takedowns and lands the better strikes against a guy constantly working off his back and securing 5-6 super tight submissions.

On 2nd viewing i scored it 48-47 for Cerrone based on his attempts to finish...i think i scored it for Henderson first time around. It's an interesting and memorable fight but i think the Fight of The Year tag was a bit much.

Edited by Ebb

• Paid Members

I watched that Best of WEC just before Chrimbo and I think you're right Ebb. I did enjoy Cerrone vs Hendo, it was certainly a better than average fight but it didn't quite hold up to my memory of it.

On the other hand I saw Cerrone vs Rob McCullough from WEC 36 on that DVD which I hadn't seen before due to it being on the prelims. Fuckin corker of a fight.

• Paid Members

Anderson Silva has declared in a interview that if Micheal Bisping can make No.1 contender he would like to face him in London, as he wants to be a true World Champion and defend the belt all over the world.

• Paid Members
I'm catching on TUF 8, currently airing on ESPN Classic. Didn't first time around, didn't have the channel, think it was on Setanta?

Enjoying it for Junie Browning as a character. Not an exciting season regards tension between coaches, so far at least. Big Nog is such a gentleman - a classy guy.

yeh, the drama between the coaches ain't upto much in that season, but Nog's stock went up in everybody's eyes after that, seems like a great guy. The bad thing about that is, it makes it tougher to watch some of the beatings that get laid on him.

The coaches challenge on that season is a good one too :)

I'm catching on TUF 8, currently airing on ESPN Classic. Didn't first time around, didn't have the channel, think it was on Setanta?

Enjoying it for Junie Browning as a character. Not an exciting season regards tension between coaches, so far at least. Big Nog is such a gentleman - a classy guy.

yeh, the drama between the coaches ain't upto much in that season, but Nog's stock went up in everybody's eyes after that, seems like a great guy. The bad thing about that is, it makes it tougher to watch some of the beatings that get laid on him.

I am guessing that Big Nog as one of Dos Santos' assistants this upcoming season is a given, reckon there is any chance of a return of Stankie?

I watched that Best of WEC just before Chrimbo and I think you're right Ebb. I did enjoy Cerrone vs Hendo, it was certainly a better than average fight but it didn't quite hold up to my memory of it.

On the other hand I saw Cerrone vs Rob McCullough from WEC 36 on that DVD which I hadn't seen before due to it being on the prelims. Fuckin corker of a fight.

Chael Sonnen's inability to finish a totally out of it Paulo Filho meant that this fight didn't air on the night due to time constraints and first aired on the Best of 2008 special.

Edited by Magnum Milano

• Paid Members

I am guessing that Big Nog as one of Dos Santos' assistants this upcoming season is a given, reckon there is any chance of a return of Stankie?

God I hope so, what a man.

• Paid Members

was sorting through a bunch of my old MMA disks earlier and found a disk containing 3 Inoke Bom-Ba-Ye shows. So i stuck the first one and watched the first fight on the the disk...

Nobuhiko Takada vs. Mike Bernado - Inoki Bom-Ba-Ye 2001 - bit of an infamous one...type in 'Best Fight Ever' into youtube and this pops up. Takada is a legend in Japan and it just goes to show how much different Japanese culture is to of that in the States that a guy who attempted to pull the wool over the crowds eyes so many times is so respected...if Takada busted out his antics in the State's he'd be boo'ed out of the building and never be invited back.

Basically Takada is known for working fights, he's from a pro wrestling background and despite being one of the head honcho's for Pride his early fights in Pride were some of the most embarrasing in MMA...the Japanese audience lapped them up though.

This fight was the only one he had outside of Pride and it was against Bernado who was one of the best K-1 fighters ont he planet at the time...a classic case of striker vs. grappler. It was Bernado's first (and last) MMA fight. It's basically the worst fight you'll ever see, the fight spent the majority of the fight on the feet, i think Bernado threw 1 strike (a leg kick), Takada threw a few lazy ones and ran after each. Takada dropped down to his butt on a few occasions, and that's basically it. The fight was ruled a draw and that the crowd wasn't throwing stuff in disgust at the end is a miracle...but that's the Japanese audience.

The reason why the fight plays out like it does is unknown but there could be a few reasons:

1. Bernado is so afraid of going to the ground that he refuses to throw strikes in case he opens himself up to being taken down.

2. It's a work, although a worked fight would include so little action surely?

3. It's a botched work...this is my favourite theory, basically Bernado refused to play Takada's game and ruined the whole thing...but the embrace between the two kind of rubbishes this school of thought :(

4. Bernado wasn't allowed to hit Takada in the face...strange things happen in Japanese MMA, that Takada spends much of the time within striking range and Bernado doesn't throw one punch or kick at Takada's head leads me to believe something fishy was going on.

5. It's just a really bad fight.

whatever the reason, it's fucking shocking...but here it is, what you think?

Edited by Ebb

• Paid Members

UFC Ultimate Fight Night #12 : Swick vs Burkman

Nate Diaz vs Alvin Robinson

Nate slams him a couple of times but gets caught in a guillotine. He escapes and controls most of the action on the ground and eventually closes the show with a triangle choke late in round 1.

Thiago Tavares vs Michihiro Omigawa

I'm a fan of both these guys but this was a bit disappointing. Both guys are usually really exciting to watch but this felt a bit flat for some reason. Decent first round but fizzles out. Tavares BJJ was the difference and he took a points win.

Patrick Cote vs Drew McFedries

Both come out aggressive and McFedries seems to be getting the better of it, landing a solid left hand to Cote's chin. Cote fires back with a nice uppercut and follows up with punches, McFedries doesn't defend and the ref jumps in for the TKO in round 1.

Kurt Pellegrino vs Alberto Crane

This was from the prelims. Right away Crane lands a Cro Cop style left high kick that almost wiped Pellegrino out, bit of a shock from Crane who's a pretty one dimensional BJJ guy. He hurt Batman bad and bloodied him up with that kick, Kurt takes him down and manages to stay out of a few sub attempts and regain his marbles. Pellegrino recovers as the round goes on and starts to take over in the striking and finally TKOs Crane in the second round. Nice little fight.

Mike Swick vs Josh Burkman

This was Swick's debut at 170 after getting dominated by Yushin Okami at middleweight at UFC 69. This fight gets shat on a lot on the net so I wasn't looking forward to it. It wasn't that bad, not gonna win any FOTY or anything but I've seen worse. I suppose on paper this looked like a fight with real potential, Swick was known at the time for ending fights early and Burkman had some quick finishes himself and was coming off an awesome fight with Karo Parisyan.

This just never really got going for some reason. The first round was alright, Burkman edged it. Swick probably took the second and third but both guys seemed gunshy. They were gassed after round 1 which Burkman has done a few times and with Swick it was probably the weight cut.

Swick took the decision. Bit of a poor main event.

Some prelims

Matt Wiman vs Justin Buchholz

They end up on the ground quickly and Wiman pretty much dominates him, beats him up a bit and finishes him off with a rear naked choke midway through round 1.

Corey Hill vs Joe Veres

Big time size difference in this one. Hill is 6'4", Veres is 5'6". The reach is even worse, Hill - 80" and Veres - 67.5". Fuck me.

As you'd expect Veres has a ton of trouble with Hill's reach and just goes for endless takedowns. Hill shows some really good takedown defence and hurts Veres with strikes at every opportunity. At the start of round 2 Veres tries a takedown, Hill sprawls again and overwhelms him with strikes for the TKO stoppage. Very impressive stuff from Corey Hill here.

Cole Miller vs Jeremy Stephens

Rogan on commentary said Miller says he wants to stand with Stephens. A few seconds later Stephens cracks him with one good punch and that plan changes and Miller is frantically looking to get the fight to the ground. He ends up pulling guard and it very quickly becomes obvious that Miller's BJJ is on a completely different level to Lil Heathen's. Miller dominates the round with superior grappling, tying Stephens up like a S&M enthusiast.

Round 2 - Stephens knocks him down right away with a flurry, but Miller gets back to his feet. Stephens then slams him right on his head but Miller gets a hold of him and ties him up on the ground again. Miller has an inverted triangle and is going for a kimura but Stephens escapes and slams him again and pounds him with hard punches and Miller just turtles up. Stephens by TKO round 2. Really good fight and a great comeback by Stephens.

Gray Maynard vs Dennis Siver

Maynard comes out swinging wild and drops Siver briefly which surprised me a bit. From there Maynard gets on top and basically just beats the shit out of Siver for the entire round and nearly finishes with an armbar. Siver looks better in the 2nd and tags Gray a few times and actually scores a takedown. Gray takes a dull 3rd round and the decision win. Not a bad fight, Siver did better than I expected.

Not the best of Fight Nights. The Stephens/Miller fight was easily the highlight for me and that one wasn't televised which is a shame. Pellegrino/Crane was good too, aside from that not much to see from this one.

• Paid Members

UFC Ultimate Fight Night #13 : Florian vs Lauzon

Houston Alexander vs James Irvin

2hzsbop.gif

Entire fight there. 8 seconds.

Nate Diaz vs Kurt Pellegrino

Round 1 is all Pellegrino. He dominates with some nasty ground and pound from the guard and bloodies up and almost finishes Nate from the crucifix position.

In the 2nd Batman takes Diaz down again but this time Nate's recovered and defending well and trying for subs. Nate hits his kimura hip throw thingy, Kurt gets up and attempts a slam but Diaz locks him up and slaps on the now infamous 'Stockton, skinny bicep flexing, flipping camera off' triangle choke for the 2nd round submission.

diazpellegrino-1.gif

Excellent fight and comeback from Diaz. This fight is pretty much forgotten but it's well worth going back to if you've got it lying around. Great stuff, as is the post fight interview in his usual pothead style. Reminded me of the old RVD promos in ECW where he was clearly baked off his tits :D

Matt Hamill vs Tim Boetsch

Slow start with Hamill getting a takedown and controlling. They end up standing and Boetsch soon livens shit up with some vicious knees from the clinch, one of which puts a fucking huge gaping hole in Hamill's bottom lip. Hamill keeps firing back but Boetsch is clearly the better striker. Round 2 both look tired and Hamill takes over, gets a takedown and keeps punching for the stoppage.

Matt_Hamill_1000568.jpg

Karo Parisyan vs Thiago Alves

Karo does well with the grappling early on and not too bad standing. First round is close but I thought Karo slightly edged it. Early in round 2 Parisyan reaches for a body clinch and Alves drops him on his arse with a big knee from the clinch followed by some punches on the ground for the TKO. Karo gets up moaning about the stoppage but he dropped like a sack of shit and didn't show the ref he was OK so it was the right call IMO.

Anthony Johnson vs Tommy Speer

Speer showed some potential on TUF 6 but it all goes tits up for him here. Anthony Johnson just wrecks him, every shot he landed hurt Speer and the finishing right hand left him sitting against the fence hugging his own knee for dear life. Brutal, probably took a few months of Speer's life that one.

Gray Maynard vs Frankie Edgar

This wasn't a bad fight but nowhere near the rematch. Gray handily wins on points by just overpowering Frankie and using his size advantage. Some nice slams from Gray. Like in the rematch it seemed clear here that Edgar was the better technical boxer but Maynard packed more power.

Kenny Florian vs Joe Lauzon

Ken-Flo vs J-Lau in a battle of the shit nicknames. Lauzon gets off to an aggressive start and takes Kenny down but Kenny cuts him up with elbows. Florian ends up on top but Lauzon sweeps him and lands some good shots. They trade top position a few times and Lauzon almost gets a heel hook on Florian a couple of times. Kenny ends the round on top with some ground and pound. Great close round.

Round 2 Kenny's fresher. Gets a takedown, mount and relentless strikes for the TKO. Another very good, largely forgotten fight.

Unaired prelims for this one

George Sotiropoulos vs Roman Mitichyan

Sotiropoulos basically just out jui jitsu's Mitichyan, trying relentlessly for chokes and armbars and ends up with a TKO victory from the mount in the 2nd round.

Clay Guida vs Samy Schiavo

Very cautious start from Clay coming off the loss to Roger Huerta. As soon as he decided to do something it's all him. He gets a takedown and another TKO from the mount towards the end of round 1.

Manny Gamburyan vs Jeff Cox

MMA%20cheap%20shot.gif

Bit of a dick move there from Manny :laugh:

Cox holds him against the fence for a bit, Manny gets a nice judo throw and slaps on a guillotine and that's it. First round sub.

Marcus Aurelio vs Ryan Roberts

Awesome submission in just 16 seconds.

6jmvdg.gif

Din Thomas vs Josh Neer

Never heard anything about this one before so never expected much but it was a bit of a war. Really good, close fight. The stand up was pretty even and the grappling was close too but Neer owned round 3 with ground and pound and probably edged round 1 aswell. Neer won on points in a very enjoyable fight.

This was a corker of a card. I enjoyed everything on it. If you're gonna track down anything from this one I'd highly recommend Diaz vs Pellegrino and Florian vs Creepy Joe. Excellent bunch of fights.

Edited by wandshogun09

• Paid Members

yeh i got it :) great collection. Well worth the money.

I'd have loved for the older fights to have been remastered or something but i can live with it, there's a thing on the disk saying that the footage is presented in it's original form.

As far as the fights go, it's nowhere near the 100 Greatest Fights in terms of fight quality, but for memorable contests it's a pretty definitive list (barring the Frank Shamrock/Ortiz ommisions).