MMA: Past Fight Discussion

Egg Shen

Ben Smith and Oli Thompson had a decent little tear-up on the last UCMMA show - nothing better rthan two big, daft bodybuilders just swinging with pissed cockneys baying for blood all round the cage. In fact the whole card was decent. All fights finished in the 1st rnd (barring the main event).

• Paid Members

Got a bit more time on my hands cos I'm off work the rest of this week so I'm flying through these Fight Nights :)

UFC Ultimate Fight Night #18 : Condit vs Kampmann

Cole Miller vs Junie Browning

Miller outclassed him everywhere. On the feet, in the clinch and on the ground where Miller put him away with a guillotine. This was Junie's last fight in the UFC.

icidkn.gif

Miller round 1 submission

Tyson Griffin vs Rafael Dos Anjos

This was a really good fight and very close. I think Dos Anjos is one of the more underrated lightweights in the UFC and he showed here he could hang with the upper level of 155ers at the time (Tyson was on a tear at the time of this fight).

I'd give Dos Anjos round 1. Tyson was winning the early striking exchanges but when he took Dos Anjos down he got caught in a nasty leg compression that he must've been close to tapping to. He escaped but was wobbly on the leg for a bit after or as Rogan put it "his left leg went funny".

29amg6_medium.gif

Ouch!!

Round 2 and 3 were close but I'd lean towards Griffin. The striking was pretty even but Tyson shaded it on aggression IMO. Dos Anjos looked a threat every time it hit the ground though.

Tyson Griffin by decision 30-27 across the board. Bit surprised not one judge gave Dos Anjos round 1 :confused: Really fun fight.

Ryan Bader vs Carmelo Marrero

This was a boring fight. Bader armbar attempt in round 1 and arm triangle in round 3, the rest of the fight consists of Bader getting takedowns and lying in guard. That's about it in a nutshell. Pretty boring but a clear win for Darth Bader.

Bader decision.

Carlos Condit vs Martin Kampmann

This was as good as I'd remembered. One of the best fights of 2009, doesn't get talked about nearly as much as it deserves IMO. There's way too much action here for me to be bothered trying to cover :) It's got everything, a war on the feet, sub attempt after sub attempt, they don't stop for 15 minutes.

Very close fight. The first time I saw it I thought Condit got robbed, this time I thought Kampmann might have just about edged all 3 rounds? It's one of them fights where it was so close with so much going on. Tough one to score. Fuckin excellent fight though, 3 round war all the way.

Kampmann decision.

Unaired prelims

Aaron Simpson vs Tim McKenzie

Simpson comes out like a wildman throwing big punches and throws McKenzie down. Then Simpson drops him with a right and batters him on the floor for the TKO in about 2 mins.

Simpson TKO round 1

Rob Kimmons vs Joe Vedepo

Striking a bit early then they clinch against the fence and Kimmons locks on a standing guillotine and gets the submission in about 2 minutes.

Kimmons sub round 1

Jorge Rivera vs Nissen Osterneck

This was a tough fight for Rivera, his first fight back after his teenage daughter died.

They traded takedowns in round 1 but Rivera ended the round on top and probably edged the round. Round 2 was Jorge's, he got a nice suplex/throw in, some takedowns, ground and pound and dropped him with a punch. Round 3 was a pretty dull, clinch heavy round.

Rivera by decision. I'd give Rivera rounds 1 and 2 for sure and probably the 3rd too.

Tim Credeur vs Nick Catone

Round 1 Catone is wrestling all the way but Credeur comes close with a couple of sub attempts. Round 2 they trade and both land some nice shots. Credeur gets a standing guillotine and drops down to kind of an anaconda position and Catone taps.

Creduer sub round 2. Good little fight there.

Brock Larson vs Jesse Sanders

Larson just overpowers him. Gets a takedown, backmount GnP and finishes with a RNC in a couple of mins.

Larson sub round 1

Ricardo Almeida vs Matt Horwich

I enjoyed this one. Didn't know this fight even happened. For the most part Almeida is able to control the action with better boxing and takedowns. Horwich has his moments though and actually comes close on a couple of submissions.

Highlight of the fight for me was at the end of round 1 Almeida got a nice guillotine on him, it looks bad but Horwich guts it out and escapes and gets a heelhook on Almeida and almost taps him out. That would have been a huge win for Horwich to tap out someone like Almeida. He looked really close to giving up too.

Almeida by decision.

Gleison Tibau vs Jeremy Stephens

This was decent but not as good as I'd hoped. Tibau fought smart though and used his superior wrestling and BJJ to take Stephens out of his strength. Tibau got some good takedowns in and nearly finished it with an arm triangle in the 2nd. Stephens had a brief spell of success late in the fight with a flying knee and some knees from the clinch but it's too late and Tibau catches him and slams him.

Tibau by decision.

Good little Fight Night. I'd highly recommend seeking out Condit vs Kampmann and Griffin vs Dos Anjos. Fight Night 19 next which I remember having some awesome fights on it. Quarry/Credeur, Condit/Ellenberger and Maynard/Huerta. Looking forward to that one.

Edited by wandshogun09

Quarry/Credeur was an awesome fight, just an absolute war and then they were followed immediately after by Condit/Ellenberger. If the other rounds were as good as the first then that fight would have surpassed the opener, but they don't manage to keep it up, although it is still a great fight.

Nissen Osterneck had a helluva fight with Jake Rosholt in the WEC that got himself a shot in the UFC when they merged some of their weight classes, but think he was one and done in the UFC.

Got a bunch of discs in the post from a trader in the US today that I'll eventually plough through, including an old Superbrawl show featuring Matt Hughes and Rumina Sato tapping Yves Edwards with a rear naked choke in under 20 seconds, a Shooto card where Sato taps some dude with a flying arm bar in just 6 seconds, some old school Hook'n'Shoot, the Yoshida retirement show, the Moosin PPV and some other bits.

• Paid Members

UFC Ultimate Fight Night #19 : Diaz vs Guillard

Nate Quarry vs Tim Credeur

I fuckin love this fight. Haven't watched it for a bit so this was pretty fresh watching it again. It really picks up towards the end of round 1. Credeur drops Quarry with a punch and gets a RNC pretty tight while Nate's still woozy. Quarry somehow survived but he looked fucked after and Credeur just tee'd off on him.

Round 2 Credeur rocks him again but just when it looked like Nate was done he hit a peach of a right hand straight on the chin and Crazy Tim's floored. He stumbles back to his feet only to be decked again and Quarry spends the rest of the round beating him up on the ground while Tim looks for subs.

Then in round 3 Tim's got him on the backfoot again and wobbly but Quarry knocks him on his arse AGAIN with a huge right hand. Rest of the fight is just them swinging haymakers. I don't know how Credeur kept getting up from them knockdowns. Insane fight.

55qnab.jpg

10f2lp3.jpg

Quarry by decision.

Carlos Condit vs Jake Ellenberger

As tough as that fight was to follow this one has a good go. I only saw Ellenberger once in the IFL before this and while he seemed pretty good back then I thought Condit would batter him without much trouble :rolleyes: had him down as mostly a wrestler/grappler type...certainly never realized the power he carried in his hands.

Ellenberger won round 1 big. Landed some huge punches and knocked Condit down a few times. It seemed like every punch from Ellenberger rocked him which says a lot if you know what a chin Condit has. Seriously dunno how Condit survived this 5 minutes, if anyone wants proof of Condit's toughness look no further than this round.

After that Condit turns things around. He got the better of the grappling in rounds 2 and 3 and was able to get dominant positions, mount and backmount, and did some damage with ground and pound.

2vafv9z.jpg

2qnm5qu.jpg

Condit split decision. Crowd booed the decision but I thought it was the right call. Round 2 could've gone either way really but I thought Condit was more aggressive on the ground. Another excellent fight.

Gray Maynard vs Roger Huerta

This was pretty much a straight kickboxing match until round 3. Huerta got in a nice flurry in round 1 but Maynard was outboxing him most of the way after that even knocking him down briefly with a stiff jab. In round 3 Maynard goes back to his bread and butter and hits a big slam and dominates the rest of the fight. In the last couple of minutes Maynard locks Huerta in a really nasty looking kimura, Huerta showed real toughness not to tap it looked like his shoulder was gonna give way at any second. He barely survives but Gray's got the fight sewn up.

2wem251.gif

Maynard by decision. This was Huerta's last UFC fight to date. I'd love to see him back in there though even though he can't really hang with the top guys there's lots of exciting fights to be made. Huerta vs Gomi, Pearson, Pettis...

Nate Diaz vs Melvin Guillard

Melvin takes round 1 easy. He cracks Diaz with a quick right immediately at the start of round 1 which puts Diaz on his arse. Melvin gets a nice Judo throw in at one point too. Melvin showed some awesome head movement aswell, Diaz could barely put a glove on him.

Round 2 is where it all goes to pot. Diaz lands a punch and it looks like Guillard's playing possum then he shoots for a sloppy takedown from far out and Nate gets him caught in a sweet guillotine and gets the win.

Diaz submission round 2.

This was another very enjoyable Fight Night. Not a bad fight on the card. The first 2 fights are awesome, must see FOTYC's. Maynard proved here he could have exciting fights and the main event was a good come from behind win for Diaz. Great stuff all round here.

Edited by wandshogun09

Watched the K-1 World Max -63kg Japan Tournament Final 16 last night which was a cracking card. Similar to how I always prefered the WEC to the UFC, I enjoy watching the MAX guys more than the Heavies due to the quicker paced action, and at times the heavyweights are nothing more than a pair of plodders.

A couple of awesome KO's in both the opener between Yuki and Yuji Takeuchi and the show finale between Daisuke Uematsu and Jae Hee Cheon. Elsewhere, 21 year old uber heel Kizaemon Saiga decisioned Fire Harada. Harada was 35 and Saiga was just too good for his elder opponent, and he knew it, at times just taunting his opponent. I think at one point his corner were even combing his hair between rounds. Whilst Tetsuya Yamato (who got recommended for the tournament by Shinya Aoki) beat tournament favourite Masahiro Yamamoto in the Extension Round.

If you like K-1 or are just intrigued by it and want to see what it is all about, then this is well worth spending 90 minutes on.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Paid Members

I'm not gonna bother covering the rest of the Fight Nights cos there all fairly recent from 20 on. Been watching these old fights today though so got a few thoughts

Chuck Liddell vs Guy Mezger (Pride 14)

This was Chuck's first fight in Pride. This was pretty much a straight kickboxing match and it was a very good one. In the first round they were both landing some heavy shots with Mezger getting the better of most of the exchanges IMO. He was really landing some nice punches and kicks. Chuck was having some success with stinging leg kicks. Chuck was really mixing up his strikes better back then. At the end of round 1 Mezger drops Chuck with a big overhand right of all things, Chuck's favourite punch. Chuck pops up and eats a headkick. Mezger looked great here.

Round 2 - Chuck comes out pissed off and really steps it up from the off. He has Mezger backed up on the ropes and cracks him hard with a perfect right hook to the jaw and Mezger is out cold. Awesome KO.

Great little fight. All you ever see is the KO but Mezger did great and was winning the fight pretty handily IMO until the KO.

Liddell by KO round 2

Anderson Silva vs Tony Fryklund (Cage Rage 16)

Typical start from Anderson, guaging the distance and avoiding attacks. Then Silva starts throwing straight punches and leg kicks. Gets a Muay Thai clinch and lands some hard knees to the body and elbows to the head.

Amazing combo from Anderson which went something like - right hook to the body, left leg kick, flying knee and right uppercut. That's some Street Fighter shit there :D Fryklund's clearly out of his depth and has no answer for Silva's offence. Anderson then finishes him off with a fuckin awesome backwards elbow strike that put Fryklund on his arse wondering why is arms were dangling and his legs weren't working.

elbow%20KO.gif

Amazing KO. One of the coolest knockouts in MMA history. This was the start of Anderson's current winning streak which currently stands at 14 wins in a row.

Silva KO round 1

Jeremy Horn vs Forrest Griffin (IFC Global Domination)

Pre-TUF Forrest and he was the wild brawler who fought Stephan Bonnar at this point. He comes out like a nutter throwing haymakers and knees from the clinch. They wind up on the ground and scramble about, both guys were really active on the ground from top and bottom so the fight never slowed down. Horn lands some really good shots early in round 2 and they hit the mat again trading positions.

About midway in round 2 Horn lands a big headkick out of nowhere, Forrest falls down and Horn lands straight in mount and puts him away with a couple of punches. Great finish to a really good little fight.

Horn KO round 2

Jorge Gurgel vs Cole Miller (UFC 86)

Never saw this fight before but fuck me what a fight. Round 1 was a crazy brawl, I had Gurgel winning the round cos he landed the better strikes and rocked Miller a few times. Round 2 was closer and I thought Cole edged it with some ground work.

Round 3 Gurgel was handling Miller in the stand up and on the ground IMO. Then with about 1 minute left in the fight and Gurgel seemingly heading for a decision win, Cole Miller slaps on a triangle. Gurgel tries everything to escape and hangs on for a while but finally taps with like 10 seconds left.

Bit of an upset there because Gurgel was considered the much more accomplished BJJ practitioner. Miller was a purple belt at this point and Gurgel was a highly regarded black belt. Great, great fight. The end was proper edge of the seat stuff :)

Genki Sudo vs Leigh Remedios (UFC 38)

This was a really fun little fight. About as entertaining a one sided fight as you're gonna get in MMA. Sudo tries to bust out a fuckin flying triangle in the first round :omg: Remedios gave his all but was outmatched, he showed a lot of toughness though escaping some close submission attempts.

In round 2 Sudo hits a sweet belly to belly throw straight into side control. Remedios tries to roll out but Sudo spins round and takes his back sinking in a RNC for the tap. Wow...that happened so quick, beautiful transition to take the back.

All really good fights there. I'd recommend giving em all a look.

Edited by wandshogun09

• Paid Members

To add a bit to the Genki Sudo/Leigh Remedios fight, thought this quote I found from Remedios on the fight might be interesting

From a Cage Warriors forum Q&A a couple of years back

TheUnfitOne

a) A bit has been said about Dan Hardys 'baptism by fire' in the UFC but as I recall you weren't exactly given an easy debut in the organisation, how did that bout come about ? was you given the opportunity to compete then told your opponent ?, did you have a say in who you'd face ? also looking back with the benefit of maturity and hindsight how do you rate your performance ?

b) (a bit more light-hearted) I was watching you on Cage Fighter the other night and was wondering what's the story with the blue shorts ? where did you get them, why and what's your win ratio in them ?, and seeing as now 99.999% of MMA competitors wear heavily advertised board shorts have they been retired ?

Leigh

a) No, I was just told I'd be fighting Genki Sudo. Wasn't consulted or asked or anything. I'm not saying I should have been, incase that comes across as whinging, just answering the question

My performance was pretty good for my skill level at the time. I wasn't good enough to win - I didn't have ko power and wasn't going to sub him. I was also very cautious with stand up because the MMA striking wasn't my strength and Genki had dropped Masato in K1. If I had the skills now I could have done things better, like pushing the action on the feet and avoiding the takedowns or maybe going for submission attempts myself, but I think I did as well as I could have with the skill set I had. I started training at London Shoot and with Usman and Tokei about 8 weeks out, which is why i managed to survive to the second round. Bear in mind I'm an average sized featherweight, walking at around 70kg when in shape

b) I was in Florida with Gaz Roriston and said I wanted to wear some blue speedos, in homage to Ken Shamrock and his purple speedos, because he is also an awesome brawler and leg lock man. We searched the shops on the beaches for a while and then I found them and new they were perfect

Not sure off the top of my head what my win ratio is in them - worn them for every fight except my last since I fought Victor Estrada, so do a Sherdog search

As for advertising on board shorts, I'll do just about anything for money, so if people pay me to wear their name on my shorts, I'll do it

Edited by wandshogun09

• Paid Members

nice little find about Remedios. That guy was unfortunate to come into the UFC when he did, he got his shot but it was before the UFC boom and all that so he was never given another shot.

The UFC never full took advantage of what they had in Genki Sudo either, he was given the odd fight but they should have locked that guy into a contract, without doubt of the most entertaining fighters there's ever been. Imagine if he fought in the UFC now?