MMA: Past Fight Discussion

Egg Shen

• Paid Members

Just got hold of a set of every UFC Fight Night so I'm gonna rip off Haraga's idea and work my way through them and putting my thoughts in here

So here goes

UFC Ultimate Fight Night #1 : Salaverry vs Marquardt

Josh Koscheck vs Pete Spratt

Kos gets the takedown pretty much straight away.Spratt manages to get up but Kos gets his back,locks in a standing rear naked choke and finishes him Hughes-Trigg style in around 2 minutes.Quick and impressive win for Koscheck.

Nate Quarry vs Pete Sell

Both guys come out throwing leather right off the bat.About 40 seconds into round 1 Quarry drops him with a left to the chin and hits him once on the ground and referee Cecil Peoples jumps in for a controversial stoppage as Sell had recovered quickly and was saying he was fine.

This led to an awkward moment when Peoples jumped in to stop the fight and basically just clung onto Quarry's back and they all stayed there for about 20 seconds.It looked like a game of pile on like you'd play at school with Peoples on top,then Quarry then Sell squashed at the bottom.

I thought it was a slightly premature stoppage.Drago was hurt but was still conscious and trying to grab Quarry.He wasn't really given a chance to show he was defending himself.

Stephan Bonnar vs Sam Hoger

We're treated to some awful 'poetry' by Sam Hoger in the pre fight video.It's so shit I felt I had to share it

"If it ends in the first, Stephan's going home in a hearse,

If it goes to the second, you know Sam came wreckin,

And if it goes to the third...in that ring...I know from Stephan Bonnar we'll never have heard"

Right :confused:

Thank fuck the fight was better than that shite.Really fun fight.Bonnar takes the first round with superior grappling and ground and pound.Hoger actually locks up an arm triangle from the bottom which looks pretty tight but Bonnar escapes and drops some good shots on him and ends the round with a flurry of strikes against the fence.

Round 2 - Bonnar gets a takedown and mount but Hoger sweeps him and stays on top for most of the round.Bonnar locks on a kimura from his back and uses it to sweep into the mount and drops elbows and punches to finish the round.

Bonnar dominates round 3,ground and pounding the shit out if him.Hoger almost catches him in a kneebar right at the end but it's too late.Bonnar takes the decision in a very entertaining fight.

Chris Leben vs Patrick Cote

Two heavy hitters with good chins,this should be fun.Most of round 1 spent in greco clinch until they open up late on with wild punches.Round 2 more of the same but Leben is outworking him in the clinch and in the wild exchanges they're both landing big shots but walking through them.Leben outwrestles him in the 3rd round and earns a split decision win.

Good fight.Lots of clinching but they stayed pretty busy and when they threw they threw hard.

Mike Swick vs Gideon Ray

This is from the prelims.Swick comes out flailing his arms about with a windmill of arm punches for the KO 22 seconds into

the first round.Not much else to say.

Ivan Salaverry vs Nate Marquardt

Not much to say about this one.It's Marquardt's UFC debut and he takes a lacklustre decision win.Never gets going,both guys are too cautious but Nate does enough to get the win.

Poor main event to an otherwise enjoyable show.

And the unaired prelims are included here (albeit downloads so not the best quality)

Kenny Florian vs Alex Karalexis

They come out striking and Florian's getting the better of it with the Thai clinch and a hard body kick that buckles Karalexis for a second.Karalexis comes out fighting hard in the 2nd but Kenny lands an awesome elbow right on the bridge of the nose in one of the exchanges and cuts him pretty bad and Kenny takes the win by doctor stoppage.

Drew Fickett vs Josh Neer

Short fight.Fickett gets a standing rear naked choke early and they both drop to the floor.Neer quickly goes out and he's all fucked up twitching and trying to grab the ref.Impressive showing from Fickett.

• Paid Members

UFC Ultimate Fight Night #2 : Tanner vs Loiseau

Josh Koscheck vs Drew Fickett

Kos absolutely dominating Fickett with his wrestling here.Takedowns,slams,positioning and control and Fickett seems to have no answer for it.

Kos easily takes the first 2 rounds and is having his way in the 3rd when all of a sudden Kos dives recklessly for a takedown and goes face first into a knee that rocks him badly and allows Fickett to lock up a rear naked choke.Kos refuses to tap and goes to sleep with about 30 seconds to go in the fight.

Crazy finish.The grappling equivalent of Scott Smith vs Cung Le 1.

Brandon Vera vs Fabiano Scherner

Vera takes the first round comfortably with better striking and some good grappling.Round 2 Vera begins picking him apart with leg kicks and takes him out with a big knee from the Muay Thai clinch.

Vera's a cocky fucker post fight and this was where he predicted he'd be holding the heavyweight and light heavyweight titles at the same time in the future.Wonder how that worked out for him :smug:

Chris Leben vs Edwin Dewees

Dewees pulls guard early and is attempting triangles and armbars off his back but Leben defends well.They stand up,Dewees gets a nice takedown and Leben catches him with an armbar to score a surprising first round submission win.Impressive.

Evan Tanner vs David Loiseau

Loiseau comes out throwing kicks.Tanner gets the greco clinch and takedown fairly easily.Tanner gets his back and is trying for a RNC but the Crow survives and they stand up.Tanner with an fucking awesome throw and dominates the ground battle for pretty much the rest of the round.

Round 2 - Tanner comes out aggressive with a takedown and some good ground and pound.Tanner gets his back again but Loiseau turns into him and starts unleashing his trademark brutal elbows from inside Tanner's guard.Tanner is cut bad,he tries to soldier on but the doc calls a stop to the fight late in round 2.

Good fight,hate to see fights end on a cut though.Tanner was doing great but them elbows completely turned the fight around.They were fecking vicious.

Unaired prelims included here are

Jay Hieron vs Jonathan Goulet

Hieron's wrestling too much for Goulet early on and Hieron handily takes round 1.Round 2 starts and Goulet cuts him with a knee and Hieron's head is pissing blood for the rest of the fight.They continue on to round 3 but the doc has seen enough and Goulet takes a win via doc stoppage.Fuck me another one.

Good little battle though.And one of the bloodiest UFC fights I can recall alongside Struve vs Stojnic from UFC 99.

Jon Fitch vs Brock Larson

Larson is undefeated going in and starts well with the greco clinch.Fitch gets a takedown and has to fend off some sub attempts.Fitch gets his back and almost finishes him with a RNC.Larson escapes and Fitch just batters him from the back mount until the round ends.

Round 2- Fitch gets him down,Larson trying kimuras from the bottom to no avail.Fitch too good on top and easily wins the round.

Same for round 3,Fitch takes him down and dominates.Some good ground and pound by Fitch and he takes the unanimous decision.Nice fight,some really good grappling on display.

The Spencer Fisher vs Thiago Alves fight isn't on the disc for some reason :( I've still not seen that fight and was quite looking forward to it.Big fan of both guys,I'll have to find it on the net.

• Paid Members

UFC Ultimate Fight Night #3 : Sylvia vs Silva

Chris Leben vs Jorge Rivera

They start with a bit of clinch work then it quickly turns into a brawl.They trade punches and Leben catches him with a short left hook that drops Rivera and Leben pounds him out and finishes him off in under 2 minutes.Leben's MMA record improves to 14-1.

Drew Fickett vs Josh Burkman

Another short fight.About a minute in Burkman throws Fickett to the ground and pounces with a tight guillotine choke which forces the submission.Impressive win for Burkman over a good grappler like Fickett.

Stephan Bonnar vs James Irvin

Bonnar takes him down quick and pretty much has his way.Almost gets an armbar,ends up back in side control where he traps Irvin against the cage and locks on a kimura.Irvin has nowhere to go and taps.

That's 3 first round finishes on the show so far.

Duane Ludwig vs Jonathan Goulet

And speaking of quick finishes......

ludwiggoulet.gif

That's the entire fight right there

Mario Yamasaki starts the fight,they walk to the centre and Bang Ludwig just cracks him with a quick right to the jaw,Goulet faceplants and Yamasaki's calls an end to proceedings.

This should be known as the fastest knockout in UFC history but the timekeeper fucked up and recorded the wrong time.The official time is 11 seconds but it was no more than 5,which is faster than Todd Duffee's 7 second record holder.

Tim Sylvia vs Assuerio Silva

Pretty crap fight.Sylvia jabs his way to a decision and almost loses his shorts a few times in the process.Not a pretty sight.That's about it for that fight,it picks up slightly towards the end but by then what little interest I had in the fight had fucked off.

This was the show where they officially announced Royce Gracie was gonna fight Matt Hughes aswell.Hughes and Gracie got in the octagon and said a few words to hype the fight.

Royce : "This is my house...I build it" to a big cheer :) Shame how one sided the fight turned out to be.

There's one unaired prelim on the disc

Alex Karalexis vs Jason Von Flue

This one started out slow but turned into a really fun little war.Picks up steam midway through round 1 and they keep the pace up throughout round 2.

In the third Von Flue debuts what is now known as the 'Von Flue' choke.For anyone who hasn't seen it it's basically a version of an arm triangle but Von Flue was on the opposite side to the traditional way.He never hopped over to the far side and instead drove his shoulder into Karalexis' throat and choked him totally unconscious,stiff legged,twitching the lot.Nasty looking finish.

Found a vid of it

'The Von Flue Choke'

Edited by wandshogun09

• Paid Members

Got some good stuff to watch on the next few Fight Nights.

The next one's headlined by a Bonnar-Jardine fight I remember enjoying at the time,then the shows after that have Anderson Silva's debut vs Chris Leben and the classic Diego Sanchez-Karo Parisyan fight.

Really enjoying some of the rarer shit on these cards.Some little gems I'd either forgotten or never seen like Von Flue-Karalexis.

Edited by wandshogun09

• Paid Members

i need to get back on them old fight nights, so much stuff ive forgotten about.

for some reason i never watched Salaverry/Marquadt!? i watched the show but never saw that fight...i remember it causing huge debate online when it happened. Some people were saying it was an awful advert for the UFC (it was the first ever free Spike TV card), and others were saying it was a great fight from a technical standpoint. Need to go back to it.

• Paid Members
i need to get back on them old fight nights, so much stuff ive forgotten about.

for some reason i never watched Salaverry/Marquadt!? i watched the show but never saw that fight...i remember it causing huge debate online when it happened. Some people were saying it was an awful advert for the UFC (it was the first ever free Spike TV card), and others were saying it was a great fight from a technical standpoint. Need to go back to it.

Don't get your hopes up for that one Ebb.Maybe it's personal taste but I thought it was a crappy fight.Maybe a case of UFC debut nerves for Nate and Ivan coming to the end of his career but it was an uneventful fight.There was nothing technically wrong with what they did,they just didn't do enough.I don't see how anyone could have actually liked the fight.

Reading a bit more about it it turns out Marquardt tested positive for steroids after this fight too,so a disaster all round.

• Paid Members

UFC Ultimate Fight Night #4 : Bonnar vs Jardine

Chris Leben vs Luigi Fioravanti

Leben pretty much dominates this fight with wrestling and ground and pound and takes a comfortable decision win.Luigi was a game opponent,7-0 at the time, but Leben was too much for him.Not the usual exciting fight from Leben but not terrible.

Joe Stevenson vs Josh Neer

This was a good fight.Stevenson didn't look good,apart from an nice leglock attempt early on he didn't show much.Impressive performance from Neer though,he outworks Stevenson for most of the fight and almost puts him away with a big flying knee to the face in the 3rd round.Neer takes the decision.

Rashad Evans vs Sam Hoger

This was closer than I expected.Rashad wins by split decision but Hoger fought pretty well here.He caught Rashad with some nice shots,especially the one headkick that fucked up Rashad's eye.Hoger also had some decent sub attempts but he spent most of the fight on his back or getting chucked about so the judges went with Evans.Not a great fight but it had it's moments I guess.

Stephan Bonnar vs Keith Jardine

This is more like it.This was a 15 minute slugfest,really fun fight.Both guys hurt the other and just go all out for the full 3 rounds.Wild brawl,worth tracking down if you haven't seen it.Very underrated fight.

Bonnar got the win 29-28 but I had Jardine winning 2 of the rounds.Thought he got the better of a lot of the exchanges but Bonnar had him hurt a few times.Close fight so can't really complain.

Few unaired prelims

Chael Sonnen vs Trevor Prangley

Sonnen is absolutely dominant here,taking Prangley down at will and bloodying him up pretty bad.Outside of a few upkicks Trev has no answer.As usual with Chael,after having his way the whole fight he gets caught in a submission with just 2 minutes to go.He manages to escape and wins a decision.Prangley did wind up on top of Sonnen a couple of times but was unlucky the rounds ended both times.

Jon Fitch vs Josh Burkman

They trade punches early and Fitch knocks him down with a left.Burkman gets up and Fitch attacks with punches and kicks and takes him down.Burkman's trying but seems to fizzle out in round 2 and Fitch seems to be getting stronger.Fitch finishes him with a rear naked choke in the dying seconds of round 2.Real enjoyable fight.

I swear Fitch looks like a different fighter on these old Fight Nights.

Luke Cummo vs Jason Von Flue

Another pretty good fight here.Cummo's grappling is much improved and he's outstriking Von Flue.Cummo cuts him deep on the forehead with an elbow.For most of the fight Cummo is defending the takedowns and picking him apart with leg kicks.Cummo almost gets him with a few RNC attempts late but Von Flue survives.Von Flue showed a lot of guts in this one but loses on the scorecards.

Pretty good fights for the most part there.

• Paid Members

UFC Ultimate Fight Night #5 : Silva vs Leben

Jorge Gurgel vs Mark Hominick

Decent enough but not as good as I'd hoped.Hominick was landing the cleaner shots and outpointing him.Bit of a slower pace than you'd expect from these 2.Picked up a bit in round 3 and Gurgel found some success with leg kicks.A couple of times Gurgel tried to attack and Hominick actually turned his back and sprinted away which didn't go down well with the crowd.

Hominick by decision.For some reason when the fight ended they both dropped down and did push ups which was an odd sight.If they had energy for that it's a bit frustrating they didn't push the pace more in the fight but oh well.

Stephan Bonnar vs Rashad Evans

The story of this one is Rashad's takedowns.He slams the shit out of Bonnar over and over again.Bonnar can do nothing to stop it but then when it hits the floor it's a stalemate because Bonnar's grappling is so good he can defend most of the damage and stop Rashad advancing positions on him.

Aside from the slams,which were awesome,not much going on in this fight.Rashad wins a majority decision,dunno how one of them scored it a draw cos despite Rashad not doing much on the ground,he slammed him a good 8-10 times and Bonnar did nothing to him.

Watching these old fights now,it's amazing how much Rashad has improved over the years.He was so one dimensional here compared to now.You'd never predict him beating Chuck,Forrest,Rampage etc on the strength of these early showings.

Rob MacDonald vs Kristian Rothaermel

TUF 2 vs TUF 3 here.Short fight where MacDonald just handles him with ease.His grappling looked good and he got a slick armbar submission win in the first round.

Anderson Silva vs Chris Leben

Chris Leben "After I knock him out, he may wanna go back to Japan where the competition's a little easier"

Asupstanding.gif

SLOMOAndersonFinishesLeben.gif

Leben was on a tear coming into this fight,15-1 MMA and undefeated in the UFC at 5-0.Probably would've got a title shot with a win here.

Total demolition.Anderson was scary.As perfect a UFC debut as you could hope for.Anderson just obliterated him with fast,powerful,pin point accurate strikes and put Leben away quick.

Luke Cummo vs Jonathan Goulet

Really enjoyed this one.Goulet takes round 1 with superior grappling.Round 2 goes to Cummo,he knocks Goulet down with a hard knee to the face that almost ended the fight right there.Then he catches Goulet in a guillotine but he survives.Round 3 is close,Goulet controls most of the round on the ground but doesn't do any significant damage.Cummo locks on a pretty tight rear naked choke near the end of the round but can't hold on to it.

Goulet wins the decision.Could've gone either way,I had Cummo 29-28 because he nearly finished him in rounds 2 and 3 but not a robbery.Good close fight,both guys were always active on the ground.

Some prelims

Jorge Santiago vs Justin Levens

Santiago's UFC debut and a very impressive one.Only lasts about 2 minutes.Jorge gets a takedown,batters him on the ground,Levens gets up and Santiago wipes him out with 2 vicious knees that floored him then a couple of hard punches on the ground.Looked brutal.

Josh Koscheck vs Dave Menne

Not the best of fights.Good display of wrestling by Koscheck and he takes a fairly clear cut win by decision.Kos fucked him up pretty bad on the ground,cutting him and landing some heavy knees to the body from side control.Koscheck did keep getting caught in submissions in this fight though,leglocks in particular.He's obviously tightened his BJJ defense since then.Like Rashad, Kos is another one who you can see has greatly improved his overall MMA game since these early fights.

Jon Fitch vs Thiago Alves

Round 1 - Alves drops him immediately with a quick punch and kick and jumps into Fitch's guard.Fitch winds up on top and some good ground and pound.Alves is going for armbars off his back but no luck.Fitch's round despite the knockdown.He was dominant on top for most of it and did damage,opened a cut.

Round 2- Fitch getting takedowns easier now.Fitch gets backmount and constantly going for RNC's.At the end of the round Alves shakes him off in a scramble and is standing over Fitch.Alves dives in and eats a huge upkick and Fitch pounces with some punches for the stoppage at the end of round 2.Another good fight.

No debut made me go wow me as much as Andersons in 2006

Leben has never been the best fighter in the world but he has got a chin of granite, he had been in with heavy hitters like Rivera and Cote and beat them and took punches from them, then along comes Anderson

This thread reminded me of how much I thought of Brandon Vera, is there anyone fighter who hasnt lived up to the early hype as much as "The Truth", the heavyweight GSP was how he was once described

Leben was in the UFC's top 5 at middleweight at the time and probably within the top 10 in the world. He's always had the ability to get hit and then hit back harder. However, he couldn't touch Silva. Nor could Rich Franklin, who has never been manhandled like he was by Silva.

Vera could still be great, he's just too defensive. He fights with too much fear. There was a point where he'd go in attacking and just open guys up. I wonder if he has an injury because the other guy with tons of potential and hype that just didn't come to fruition for me was Karo Parisyan, who has been beset by injuries. Karo's judo was his big thing but a staph infection wrecked one of his thigh muscles and he was just another fighter. Then he's had panic attacks and was taking painkillers and has never quite fulfilled that early promise. He even had a UFC title shot at one point and had to pull out.

• Paid Members

Been looking forward to this one.Haven't seen the main event since when it originally aired and remember it being an amazing fight.

UFC Ultimate Fight Night #6 : Sanchez vs Parisyan

Josh Koscheck vs Jonathan Goulet

Kos starts strong with an attempt at a guillotine then decides to ground and pound.Kos gets his back Matt Hughes-Royce Gracie style and rains down hard punches until the ref stops it.First round TKO for Koscheck and a good showing.

Dean Lister vs Yuki Sasaki

Starts very slow, as soon as Lister gets a hold of him things pick up a bit with Lister throwing Sasaki around a bit and getting his back.Lister falls to his back on a failed takedown and Sasaki foolishly jumps into his guard and ends up in a triangle choke.Lister had it locked on but Sasaki somehow survived and came back with strikes on the feet.Sasaki may have actually edged the 3rd round but there was so little going on it's hard to score.

Lister wins the decision but not a very entertaining fight.

Chris Leben vs Jorge Santiago

They wrestle most of round 1,trading takedowns and it's pretty close.Early in round 2 they exchange punches and Leben stops him dead in his tracks with a big left to the jaw that put him out cold and followed up with 2 or 3 heavy shots on the ground.Great way to bounce back from the loss to Anderson and over a solid opponent.

chris_leben_jorge-santiago.gif

Joe Riggs vs Jason Von Flue

Riggs immediately takes him down.Somehow Von Flue winds up on top and Riggs catches him with a triangle about 2 minutes into the fight and it's over.

Diego Sanchez vs Karo Parisyan

Round 1 - Sanchez gets a good start with a takedown,mount,gets his back and puching away. Back on the feet Karo rattles off a nice Judo trip takedown and then an awesome highlight reel Judo hip throw that sends Diego 360 through the air. Back up again and Karo gets another hip throw that spikes Diego right on the top of his head.

Round 2 - Parisyan gets the better of the stand up early and gets a nice slam on Sanchez and keeps top position for a bit. They get up and Diego gets a takedown but doesn't do much damage on top and Karo gets another late takedown.

Round 3 - Karo's tired but they're still tagging each other. Parisyan gets another slam but Diego ends up on top and stays in either mount or backmount dropping punches. About a minute left in the fight, Diego has him pressed against the fence and lands a big knee to the face that sends one of Karo's teeth flying through the air.Sanchez ends the round on top.

Sanchez wins a unanimous decision 29-28,29-28 and 30-26.The 30-26 score baffles me.I had Parisyan winning the first 2 rounds pretty clearly and there was nothing that would justify a 10-8 round to me.I didn't remember thinking it at the time but watching it now I thought Parisyan got robbed.

Awesome fight though.Absolute classic.

diego-sanchez_karo-parisyan_b.gif

diego-sanchez_karo-parisyan.gif

Martin Kampmann vs Crafton Wallace

Kampmann looks sharp here.Takedown,ground and pound,backmount more punches and finishes him off with a rear naked choke in the first round.

Jake O'Brien vs Christophe Midoux

This was boring as fuck.Just O'Brien with takedowns and light punches over and over again.Ref stops it in round 2 when Midoux stops defending.Probably fell asleep.Nowt to see here.

Anthony Torres vs Pat Healy

These 2 set a high pace right away.They swing on the feet for a bit then Torres gets a takedown and RNC for the first round submission.

Sammy Morgan vs Forrest Petz

Slow first round until right at the end when Petz knocks him loopy with a left hook to the temple which floors Morgan and hurts him.Round 2 starts slow again then Petz drops him twice again with left hooks and Morgan's fucked.For some reason Petz decides to lie on him instead of finishing.In the 3rd Petz yet again floors him with a left, but Petz lets him off the hook again, fuck me.

Petz wins on the judges cards.He really should've finished this fight, every time he had Morgan hurt he took him down and did nothing or just let him recover.

Before he lost to Khalidov, a few people were talking of Jorge Santiago as if he belonged at the top table in the middleweight division but he's still the guy who lost two straight in the UFC to me. Being a Sengoku champion means nothing.

Also, I thought Parisyan/Sanchez was a robbery as soon as the decision was given. The problem was Sanchez "won the fight" overall but round-by-round, Parisyan won two rounds to one. This was at the height of my Sanchez hate too, given he beat John Alessio by getting his takedowns stuffed repeatedly the previous time out.

Decided to watch the Sanchez vs. Parisyan fight. I didn't realise that it was such a classic fight. On that note, is there a DVD for the UFC top 100 fights where you can get the fights in full ?

That first round was horribly close and not one that you'd want to have to score. If Karo got that third takedown it'd have been his for sure. In saying that, I still have it as a 10-9 for Karo. Diego had a good start but Karo really did take control of the fight early. And that takedown. Wow. Not even going to attempt to have a shot at the second round though. It really was a fight of two halves, with Karo dominating the first and Diego the second. Loved it when Diego was trying to slip away from Karo and he just kept on riding him. I was able to call the third round for Sanchez pretty easily. So that's 19-19 and a round I'm not sure about.

With that said, someone is going to have to explain to me exactly how ANY round could be scored at 10-8. I just can't see any way it could have happened. The closest I can see is the third round, but in no way was it 10-8.