MMA: Past Fight Discussion

Egg Shen

• Paid Members
UFC Ultimate Fight Night #8 : Evans vs Salmon

Rashad Evans vs Sean Salmon

Round 1- Salmon tries an absolutely awful, woeful attempt at a Karate kick at the start of the fight. Looked like someone's fat little brother trying to do an impression of Daniel-san doing the old crane kick

Just look at it

salmonscranekick_medium.gif

:laugh:

Aside from that though, Salmon had a very good first round. Lands some decent punches, gets a couple of takedowns, side control for a sec. Clearly Salmon's round.

Then round 2 starts and about a minute in it all goes horribly wrong for him.....

rashad-evans_sean-salmon.gif

haha, Sean Salmon!

i've followed that guys career pretty closely for some reason. From the moment he threw that karate kick his career was doomed, he became a laughing stock. I think it's safe to say that he was only brought into the UFC for Rashad to knockout, it was at a time when Rashad was in transition from being a TUF guy to being a legit contender, i think the UFC were helping him along by giving him Salmon. To his credit Sean Salmon was actually winning the fight until that kick...he's doomed to highlight reels forever.

I remember him getting laid out just as bad in Strikeforce against Jorge Santiago, everyone thought he was severely injured because he seemed to have a seizure after being KO'd, thankfully he was ok.

Then he was all over the internet because he admitted throwing a fight because he was trying avoid injury as he'd been hired by the Wolflair to help them train wrestling...i always thought this was blown way out of proportion, but it was more negative publicity for the guy.

These day's he's pretty much been relegated to the role of journeyman and he's still pretty active...one quick look at his record tells you all you need to know though, despite having an 18-13 record pretty much every decent opponent he ever faced beat him...but i'll always have a soft spot for Salmon :)

• 2 weeks later...
  • Paid Members

its -5 outside, im off work and i got fuck all to do so im gonna settle in and watch some old IFL stuff...never really watched the IFL as it happened until the last 4-5 shows, it wasn't that easy to get a hold of.

Got hold of a bunch recently so i'll give em a viewing.

ifl%20logo.jpg

• Paid Members
haha, Sean Salmon!

i've followed that guys career pretty closely for some reason. From the moment he threw that karate kick his career was doomed, he became a laughing stock. I think it's safe to say that he was only brought into the UFC for Rashad to knockout, it was at a time when Rashad was in transition from being a TUF guy to being a legit contender, i think the UFC were helping him along by giving him Salmon. To his credit Sean Salmon was actually winning the fight until that kick...he's doomed to highlight reels forever.

I remember him getting laid out just as bad in Strikeforce against Jorge Santiago, everyone thought he was severely injured because he seemed to have a seizure after being KO'd, thankfully he was ok.

Then he was all over the internet because he admitted throwing a fight because he was trying avoid injury as he'd been hired by the Wolflair to help them train wrestling...i always thought this was blown way out of proportion, but it was more negative publicity for the guy.

These day's he's pretty much been relegated to the role of journeyman and he's still pretty active...one quick look at his record tells you all you need to know though, despite having an 18-13 record pretty much every decent opponent he ever faced beat him...but i'll always have a soft spot for Salmon :)

Yeah he's had an odd career Salmon. I'd seen the Rashad fight when it happened but I just remembered the KO, I think a lot of people forget Salmon was actually winning the fight handily up until the KO.

Forgot about the fight fixing bollocks too, never been sure what to make of that situation.

its -5 outside, im off work and i got fuck all to do so im gonna settle in and watch some old IFL stuff...never really watched the IFL as it happened until the last 4-5 shows, it wasn't that easy to get a hold of.

Got hold of a bunch recently so i'll give em a viewing.

ifl%20logo.jpg

I haven't seen much of the IFL. To be honest I've never seen a whole IFL show just certain fights. I found IFL a bit hard to follow at the time, especially keeping track of who was on what team and the coaches and stuff.

Some cracking fights though with the likes of Horodecki, Palaszewski, Schultz and Markham.

• Paid Members

it wasn't so much fight fixing, Salmon didn't lose on purpose...he just admitted that when his opponent caught him in arm bar, instead of fighting it he just quickly let the guy finish the move and tapped out. He says he did it to avoid injury, because he was being paid by the Wolfslair at the same time to help train wrestling at the camp.

I didn't see the big fuss. This kinda stuff happens all the time, it's just Salmon admitted it in a blog straight after.

• Paid Members

UFC Ultimate Fight Night #10 : Fisher vs Stout 2

Drew McFedries vs Jordan Radev

Right away McFedries lands a couple of punches and Radev looks uncomfortable. McFedries hurts him with an uppercut, knocks him down and finishes with 2 or 3 hard punches about 30 seconds into round 1.

drewmcfedriesjordanrade.gif

Anthony Johnson vs Chad Reiner

This one's even quicker. Anthony Johnson's UFC debut and he took it on short notice. It didn't matter, he hit Reiner with a combo that finished with a crushing left hook that left Reiner clean out looking up at the ceiling.

anthony-johnson_chad-reiner.gif

Jon Fitch vs Roan Carneiro

This is a tough match style wise for Fitch because Carneiro has great BJJ and good wrestling too. Pre fight video Fitch says "I'm looking for the finish. I'm not content with decisions, I don't like 'em"

In round 1 Carneiro actually takes Fitch down early in the round and locks up a pretty tight looking anaconda choke but Fitch manages to break free. Carneiro takes him down again later in the round and controls him pretty good. Dominant round for Roan Carneiro.

Round 2 is a total turn around. Fitch rocks him on the feet with some punches, Carneiro goes to the ground and Fitch takes his back lands some punches and forces him to tap to a RNC.

Excellent comeback for Fitch and tapping such an accomplished Jiu-jitsu blackbelt and world champ was very impressive. Good fight too.

Thiago Tavares vs Jason Black

Some awesome grappling from both guys on display here. Tavares uses a nifty wrestling switch to take Black's back and Black almost has an arm triangle from the bottom at one point. Tavares ends up mounting him and inflicting some damage with some hard elbows and big punches.

In the 2nd round Tavares lands a huge slam into side control. Black sweeps and goes for a kimura but Tavares gets him in a triangle out of nowhere forcing the submission.

Great little fight, I'd never seen it before. Deffo reccommend trying to track this one down if you can find it.

Spencer Fisher vs Sam Stout

What can you say about this? The first fight they had at UFC 58 was really good but this one topped it. 3 rounds of both guys just going to war. They throw everything at each other for 15 minutes and don't let up. Fisher would have had an easier fight if he took Stout down but he wanted to stand and it did work well in this case. He was beating Stout to the punch most of the fight and took the decision in a really exciting fight.

Fisher mentions after the fight that he'd like to do a 3rd fight with Stout. I would love to see a Fisher-Stout rubber match. Maybe when UFC comes to Toronto next year they could put that one together for the main card?

Amazing main event on a fuckin brilliant card top to bottom. No bad fights to be seen, some crazy finishes, full of exciting fights whether they are grappling or striking based. Best Fight Night card yet.

Few unaired prelims

Gleison Tibau vs Jeff Cox

Impressive stuff from Tibau. Just totally overpowers him, takes his back and switches positions to an arm triangle for the first round submission.

Pete Spratt vs Tamdan McCrory

McCrory gets off to a good start with a takedown and nearly putting Spratt away a few times with RNC attempts. After that Spratt starts taking over, ends up on top dropping some hard shots on him. McCrory looks in trouble but Spratt is a bit over aggressive and falls into a triangle which he manages to powerbomb his way out of barely.

Round 2 Spratt's doing well early on but eventually winds up in a triangle choke again and this time he can't get out and taps. And the Barncat is victorious in his UFC debut. Fun fight.

• Paid Members

UFC Ultimate Fight Night #11 : Florian vs Thomas

Nate Quarry vs Pete Sell

This is a rematch from their controversial fight at Fight Night #1 which I covered a few pages back. Anyway this is what their first fight should've been like but it got cut short by referee Cecil Peoples. Both guys land some good stuff, both get rocked, both bloody. Just a really entertaining scrap.

I had Sell winning rounds 1 and 2. Quarry had some success with leg kicks and landed some nice punches but Sell rocked him a few times, he was landing the more eye catching shots IMO. And Sell decked him in round 2 with a hard right hand.

In round 3 they come out swinging and both guys land some decent shots. Quarry drops him good with a punch that looks very similar to the one that dropped him in their first fight, then he put him out with a big punch on the ground.

Really fun fight to watch. Just a wild back and forth brawl and a nice win for Quarry considering he was probably 2 rounds down.

Nate Diaz vs Junior Assuncao

Some crazy scrambles early, lizard jiu-jitsu on show from both guys. Late in round 1 they trade punches and Diaz drops him with a fast combo and taps him out with a guillotine choke.

Chris Leben vs Terry Martin

Round 1- Leben looks sharper on the feet but Martin tags him a few times with some heavy shots. Martin slams him and Leben gets a point taken away for holding the fence. I'd give the round to Martin and with the deducted point that's a 10-8 round.

Round 2 - Leben looks good mixing up his strikes and landing more strikes. Martin takes him down again but Leben has him in a triangle for the last minute or so of the round. Leben's round 10-9.

Round 3 - Martin gets the better of a lot of the exchanges in this round, landing the more damaging punches and getting some takedowns. Leben is gassing. In the last minute of the fight Martin cracks Leben with a left and then a huge right that rocks him badly and it looks to be an impossible task for Leben when suddenly he goes into fucking zombie mode and knocks Martin out cold with a haymaker of a left hook for the KO win.

chris-leben_terry-martin.gif

This was one of my favourite finishes ever in MMA, crazy stuff. At that point in the fight Leben had to finish the fight to win by my scoring and he pulled it out when he needed it most.

Kenny Florian vs Din Thomas

Florian keeps Thomas at bay with kicks early in the fight.

Funny moment midway through the round when there's a pause in the commentary and right on cue someone in the crowd screams the classic line from the Karate Kid "Put him in a bodybag" :laugh:

Thomas gets frustrated chasing Kenny and mocks him by running away which Florian takes exception too and takes him down. Thomas escapes and fucks his leg up attempting a takedown. Kenny seizes the chance and takes his back, slaps on a RNC and the 'Fight Finisher' takes the first round submission win.

Some prelims

Jonathan Goulet vs Dustin Hazelett

Goulet mustn't have done his homework on Hazelett 'cause he takes him down right away and gets armbarred and forced to verbally quit about a minute into the fight.

Thiago Alves vs Kuniyoshi Hironaka

Slow start to round 1. Alves puts on a bit of a leg kick show for most of the round, some really nasty leg kicks and you can see Hironaka limping after just a few. Alves nearly ends the fight at the end of round 1 with punches.

In round 2 Hironaka gets the odd takedown but can't keep Alves down. About halfway through the round Alves fires off an awesome flurry of strikes that starts with a brutal body kick followed by a ton of wild punches that comes close to finishing it but Hironaka toughs it out.

This flurry

AlvesMaulsHironaka.gif

Then towards the end of the round Alves lands a superman punch/leg kick combo and forces the TKO with knees to the body against the fence.

Excellent performance from Thiago Alves. Hironaka was tough, he took a lot of punishment and showed a lot of heart but he was just overmatched.

Gray Maynard vs Joe Veres

Maynard comes out and drops him with a left and finished it with a couple of punches on the ground for the KO in 9 seconds.

And for anyone who wants to know what Gray Maynard finishing a fight looks like

GrayMaynardvsJoeVeresslow.gif

:p

Leonard Garcia vs Cole Miller

Garcia somehow survives a series of submission attempts early. Seriously Miller was throwing every submission in the book at him from kimuras, armbars, arm triangles. Garcia lands some good ground and pound in round 1 to close the round. Garcia starts round 2 off swinging for the fences but Miller takes round 2 for sure with takedowns and sub attempts.

At the start of round 3 Garcia almost KO's him with a vicious overhand right but Miller gets through it and dominates the rest of the round almost securing a RNC towards the end.

Cole Miller wins on the scorecards in a very enjoyable action packed fight. Miller was just too slick on the ground.

Luke Cummo vs Edilberto Crocota

Crocota's a proper grade A oddball. In mid fight he's waving at Cummo and looking around and stuff. Just the way the guy looks and the stance of him is weird enough but the way he acts is totally goofy.

Cummo seems pissed off with his antics and rocks him with a punch and instead of covering up Crocota looks to his left a couple of times as if there's someone there to help him :D Well obviously there isn't and Cummo whacks him again and gets the first round TKO. Weird fight.

Another nice bunch of fights there. Fight Night's 10 & 11 are definitely 2 of the better shows from the UFN series. Some real good stuff on both shows.

In contrast, I've got Fight Night 12 next which is said to be shite and features a yawnfest main event between Mike Swick and Josh Burkman. Don't think I watched that show at the time.

Edited by wandshogun09

• Paid Members

stuck this in the MMA thread and it got buried with no love, so im sticking it in here to see if someone will talk about it :D

so what was peoples thoughts on the IFL?

the format is pretty much ridiculed now, Dana White hated it from the start and it was pretty much a failure.

Personally, i liked it. They pretty much had 4 teams, 2 would face of against each other each week, every team was given a ridiculous name (like the Seattle Tiger Sharks), each team had 5 fighers each from a different weight division that would face off against the figther from the opposing team in the same weight division. Like a 5-on-5 thing. A point was scored for each win and it was best of 5. Winning team would go on to face the winner of the other semi-final.

It's ok like that, the format had some problems though, like in the very first show the one teams goes up 3-1 which basically means the final fight is redundant, it happened but it didn't mean anything...also, although MMA is team orientated people don't see it as a team sport. I think the IFL dreamed that people in every city would want to root for their team, when in reality in the fight world, people cheer for their favourites, it doesn't matter where they are from. The promotion later dropped the team names and used fight camp names instead, like Team Renzo Gracie. Which was a much better idea (even though its basically the same thing).

Eddie Bravo and Joe Rogan are seen on the first show and talk enthusiastically about the concept, Bravo's comments about where he wants the concept to seemed pretty cool...

he said about imagining there being 20 teams in a league format, each team has fighters in 5 weight categories that would face off weekly against other teams in fixtures (a few fighters to each category obviously), then instead of it all being about one night the team wins points by the amount of fights it wins each week. Then after time you'd have teams drafts and transfers and stuff like that. Pretty much like a football league.

I think that's a wicked idea, it's very very far fetched and to even think something like that would happen is being pretty optimistic, but it's wishful thinking.

Ironically M-1 still run a concept similar to the IFL, but they do like Russia vs USA and Russia vs UK type shows, i think the team thing works much better when it has an international theme, people are more likely to root for a nation.

Still, the IFL tried and they failed...it was worth a punt in my opinion and if if people were more willing to give things a shot it might have succeeded but MMA fans tend to wish everything new to fail, it's kinda shit.

The IFL shows are well worth checking out though, they put on good fight cards, the roster was great too it was a great mixture of legends (who coached and fought), veterans and newcomers...many of the IFL figthers went on to have UFC runs (Roy Nelson, Brad Blackburn, Matt Horich, Ben Rothwell, Krzysztof Soszynski etc.)

• Paid Members

old K-1 fight...former Heavyweight boxing champ takes on Bonjasky, i remember this happening at the time but i don't remember it being as pathetic as it is. Holy fuck, no wonder Sylvia fancied his chances.

• Paid Members
stuck this in the MMA thread and it got buried with no love, so im sticking it in here to see if someone will talk about it :D

so what was peoples thoughts on the IFL?

the format is pretty much ridiculed now, Dana White hated it from the start and it was pretty much a failure.

Personally, i liked it. They pretty much had 4 teams, 2 would face of against each other each week, every team was given a ridiculous name (like the Seattle Tiger Sharks), each team had 5 fighers each from a different weight division that would face off against the figther from the opposing team in the same weight division. Like a 5-on-5 thing. A point was scored for each win and it was best of 5. Winning team would go on to face the winner of the other semi-final.

It's ok like that, the format had some problems though, like in the very first show the one teams goes up 3-1 which basically means the final fight is redundant, it happened but it didn't mean anything...also, although MMA is team orientated people don't see it as a team sport. I think the IFL dreamed that people in every city would want to root for their team, when in reality in the fight world, people cheer for their favourites, it doesn't matter where they are from. The promotion later dropped the team names and used fight camp names instead, like Team Renzo Gracie. Which was a much better idea (even though its basically the same thing).

Eddie Bravo and Joe Rogan are seen on the first show and talk enthusiastically about the concept, Bravo's comments about where he wants the concept to seemed pretty cool...

he said about imagining there being 20 teams in a league format, each team has fighters in 5 weight categories that would face off weekly against other teams in fixtures (a few fighters to each category obviously), then instead of it all being about one night the team wins points by the amount of fights it wins each week. Then after time you'd have teams drafts and transfers and stuff like that. Pretty much like a football league.

I think that's a wicked idea, it's very very far fetched and to even think something like that would happen is being pretty optimistic, but it's wishful thinking.

Ironically M-1 still run a concept similar to the IFL, but they do like Russia vs USA and Russia vs UK type shows, i think the team thing works much better when it has an international theme, people are more likely to root for a nation.

Still, the IFL tried and they failed...it was worth a punt in my opinion and if if people were more willing to give things a shot it might have succeeded but MMA fans tend to wish everything new to fail, it's kinda shit.

The IFL shows are well worth checking out though, they put on good fight cards, the roster was great too it was a great mixture of legends (who coached and fought), veterans and newcomers...many of the IFL figthers went on to have UFC runs (Roy Nelson, Brad Blackburn, Matt Horich, Ben Rothwell, Krzysztof Soszynski etc.)

I meant to reply to this before but never got round to it.

Anyway from what I've seen of the IFL I loved it. It threw up some excellent fights and I like the idea of teams with legends as coaches. I found the teams thing hard to follow at the time but that was because we never got it on TV and I had a shite internet connection so couldn't download as much as I'd like. So I just cherry picked the fights I liked the look of or that I'd heard were good.

If I had a way to watch regularly at the time I'd have most likely watched it religously. I get what they were going for with the team format too and it was deffo worth a try because a lot of the fighters on there weren't well known at the time so they put them in teams with popular coaches making it easier to root for them. It's probably easier to root for a team than an individual anyway for most people cause people love team sports.

I haven't seen enough of it though so that's something I'm gonna have to fix because there's loads of guys on there I've became a fan of since through WEC/Strikeforce or whatever. I forgot Horwich was in the IFL, that's always good. And guys like Frye,Bas and Renzo being involved makes it better.

It was a nice mix of newcomers and veterans like Horn,Lindland,Newton etc. Thinking about it I am gonna have to get watching some IFL stuff.

Overall I'd have to say the IFL was good for the sport. It got a lot of guys some exposure who might not have got it otherwise and at least they were willing to take a risk on the format. Like Bellator with the tournaments, I think it's good that they try new things.

I still think a team based MMA league could work if it had the right people running it with enough funding. Like you say M-1 does it still too and I think it could work on a bigger scale.

Edited by wandshogun09

• Paid Members

yeh i still think it could work, maybe the IFL was a little to ahead of it's time?

I definately recommend you check out the shows though, some good MMA history in them.

Does anyone know why they did 4 minute round instead of 5 though?

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • Paid Members

just watched the 2nd broadbast of IFL shows: IFL Championship 2006

again, i aint really bothered by the team thing here because it's in the past, so i just see it as a usual night of fights (it's Silverbacks vs. The Tigersharks btw).

show started out with Bart Palaszewski dropping Steve Bruno in a couple of minutes, great little counter left hand.

2nd fight is a good one, Brad Blackburn vs. Rory Markham,if you were ever to make a compilation of 'Greatest Turnarounds' this would be on it, first round is all Blackburn, he puts a beating on Markham (Markham's chin here seems better than some people give credit for), it's as one sided a round as you can get. 2nd round starts and Markham just blasts Blackburn out of there, drops Blackburn a few times and the ref. finally haves mercy on him, great comeback from Markham! It's no wonder people were all over Markham's nuts back when the IFL was happening, he's an exciting fighter to watch.

ifl2-blackburn-markham.jpg

Dennis Hallman vs. Ryan McGivern: an absolute war! this is why i love going through old shows, you get to see some great forgotten fights like this one...scene is set after Hallman drops McGivern with the first punch of the fight. This fight goes everywhere, great standup exchanges, ground work, spinning backfists, takedowns, great MMA fight :) Hallman's recent claims that he's always some kind of deficiency that makes him tired is kind of apparent here, he's tough and doesn't stop coming back he's clearly heavily fatigued after about 5 minutes. McGivern took the decision, great fight.

They cut to a small announcement reporting the death of Ryan Bennett here :( i was just really getting into MMA when that happened, a sad moment in MMA history.

Highlights shown from other fights on the night shame the short broadcasts cant fit em all in :( they show Devin Cole throw Travis Wiuff around which is pretty fucking impressive, Devin Cole fights week on Strikeforce Challengers so im interested to see how he's progressed.

They show Pat Miletich being presented with a team trophy, even though the fans didn't grasp the concept the fighters and coaches definately took this shit seriously.

Quick 44 minutes broadcast, these shows are fun to watch. Worth getting for the Markham/Blackburn & McGivern/Hallman fights.