MMA: Past Fight Discussion

Egg Shen

• Paid Members
Before he lost to Khalidov, a few people were talking of Jorge Santiago as if he belonged at the top table in the middleweight division but he's still the guy who lost two straight in the UFC to me. Being a Sengoku champion means nothing.

Also, I thought Parisyan/Sanchez was a robbery as soon as the decision was given. The problem was Sanchez "won the fight" overall but round-by-round, Parisyan won two rounds to one. This was at the height of my Sanchez hate too, given he beat John Alessio by getting his takedowns stuffed repeatedly the previous time out.

Yeah I like watching Santiago fight and he's decent but I wouldn't rank him as one of the very top MWs in MMA.

Parisyan vs Sanchez was a lot more clear cut than I'd remembered.I remembered it being close but I hadn't been watching MMA that long,a year at most,at the time and all that really stuck in my head was the last round with Sanchez getting the better of it and the big knee.

It's amazing how differently you look at certain fights over time.

Decided to watch the Sanchez vs. Parisyan fight. I didn't realise that it was such a classic fight. On that note, is there a DVD for the UFC top 100 fights where you can get the fights in full ?

There's this one

UFC-The-Ultimate-100-Greatest-Fights.jpg

FightDVD doesn't have the one with full fights just the highlights like they showed on TV at the time.This one has all the fights shown in full as far as I'm aware.Not sure where you get it from though,dunno if it was ever actually released over here.Might be an import job.

With that said, someone is going to have to explain to me exactly how ANY round could be scored at 10-8. I just can't see any way it could have happened. The closest I can see is the third round, but in no way was it 10-8.

Yeah there was no 10-8 there from either guy.I had Sanchez clearly taking the 3rd but not 10-8,there were no knockdowns and Karo wasn't close to being finished.And I thought Parisyan took rounds 1 and 2 but not enough for a 10-8 either.

Then there's fights where a round should clearly be 10-8 and they score 10-9.Fuck knows what some of these judges are basing their scoring on.

• Paid Members

UFC Fight Night : Ortiz vs Shamrock 3 - The Final Chapter

Matt Hamill vs Seth Petruzelli

Not surprisingly Hamill comes in with the Tito Ortiz gameplan of wrestling and ground and pound.It works well for him here, Petruzelli can't stop the takedowns and Hamill takes the decision win fairly comfortably.Wasn't pretty but he got the job done.

Ed Herman vs Jason MacDonald

This was MacDonald's UFC debut.Some excellent grappling from both guys right away.MacDonald gets a tight guillotine in round 1 and is elbowing the fuck out of him at the same time, Herman shows guts and lasts a while but there's no escape and he's forced to tap.

Great performance from MacDonald.He was pretty much being brought in to lose to TUF 3 prosect Herman, MacDonald even hints in the post fight he was probably being used as a stepping stone. Obviously that never went to plan.

Kendall Grove vs Chris Price

Easy win for Grove.He dominated the stand up,got the takedown,mount and elbows for the stoppage. There was some talk of an early stoppage on the commentary but the replays clearly showed Price tapping to the elbows. 1st round TKO.

Tito Ortiz vs Ken Shamrock

Almost a mirror image of the second fight. Tito makes short work of him again with a takedown and brutal elbows from the guard and finishes with punches in around 2 minutes.Ken made no complaints with the stoppage this time.

Tito does his usual grave digging routine and flipping Shamrock off post fight.Despite that, Ken shows class and shows he's the bigger man by coming up and shaking Tito's hand.

Goldberg and Rogan are praising Tito for being mature and shaking Ken's hand but right after the handshake Tito makes sure the camera gets a good shot of his shirt which reads "Beating him into retirement" which was a bit of a dick move after supposedly burying the hatchet IMO

Tito has his post fight interview with the usual "This was the first time in a long time I was injury free.....thanks to the troops...." etc etc, he also mentioned the boxing match with Dana that was supposed to happen.

Then when Shamrock starts making his farewell speech, Tito can't let him have the spotlight and has to get his melon head in there again chatting shit.Between Tito and Rogan, Ken hardly got a word in. I felt bad for him to be honest.

Not the best of shows to be honest. No real good fights, MacDonald-Herman was the highlight for me but it was a short fight, the rest of the card was nowt special.

• Paid Members

UFC Ultimate Fight Night #7 : Sanchez vs Riggs

This was held at the Marine Corps Air Station in San Diego so the place is packed with army folk.

Marcus Davis vs Shonie Carter

Shonie's prediction - "Tapout. 1 minute 47 seconds. I get up, smack him on the ass, shake his hand, give him a hug, say 'great fight', good night. Hoorah marines. And I am one of the few good men who can say that I can do what I say I did". :)

Rare fuck up from Buffer in the intros for this one - "Our first fight of the evening...3 rounds of fighting in the UFC welterweight champion.......di.....vision" :laugh:

The fight wasn't much cop. Davis just basically outboxes him and picks him apart for 15 minutes. Shonie looked old in this fight, he couldn't get anything working for him.Davis knocked him down at one point and Shonie was on jelly legs for most of it after that. Davis by decision.

Karo Parisyan vs Drew Fickett

What a fun fight this was. Turned into a bit of a war in the 2nd when Fickett cuts him with an elbow and Karo gets pissed off and unleashes a load of hard elbows which gave Fickett a cut of his own. Parisyan batters him about from top position but Fickett stays in it with sub attempts from bottom. In the 3rd they just throw wild punches and Karo gets the better of it. Parisyan wins the decision in a very good fight.

What happened to this Karo Parisyan? He was such a fun fighter to watch. Then around the time of the Ryo Chonan fight he just never looked the same again.

Josh Koscheck vs Jeff Joslin

This one was pretty uneventful. Kos bombards him with takedowns and smothers him on the ground. He still showed the odd weakness with submissions here, almost getting caught in a triangle at one point. Koscheck takes a pretty easy decision win.

Diego Sanchez vs Joe Riggs

Everyone's probably seen this one. Early in the first round Sanchez catches Riggs with a right hook that knocks him on his arse, then as Riggs is getting back up Diego flies at him with a huge knee to the face and follows up with 2 or 3 hard punches on the ground for the stoppage. Short and sweet, awesome finish and puts Diego at an impressive 19-0 in MMA.

Nothing hugely of note to see from the unaired prelims. Apart from Alan Belcher's highlight reel headkick KO of Jorge Santiago. Scary knockout, the shin came right across the jaw and then Belcher clubbed him with a couple of big punches while he lay there fucked.

Oh and Luigi Fioravanti beat up a Dave Menne who looked like he didn't want to be there for the first round TKO.

Edited by wandshogun09

• 2 weeks later...
  • Paid Members

UFC Ultimate Fight Night #8 : Evans vs Salmon

Spencer Fisher vs Hermes Franca

Strange quote from Rogan "This fight could easily be a PPV headliner" :confused: I love both guys but seriously?

This is a wild brawl, just what you'd expect from these 2. Fisher's the more technical striker but Franca just wings haymakers, very similar to Leonard Garcia. Fisher has the speed/technique vs Franca's power/unpredictability.

First round's fairly even but France edged it with some hard shots on the feet,a couple of takedowns and a big flurry of ground and pound to close round 1. In the 2nd Fisher is starting to throw combos and seems to be finding some success when Franca clobbers him with a huge overhand right that wobbles him badly and Hermes doesn't let up with a barrage of wild hooks and uppercuts for the TKO.

This win got him the title shot against Sean Sherk. Sadly, I look at this fight with Fisher as Franca's last good performance.

Heath Herring vs Jake O'Brien

Really slow start. Herring drops him with a left and jumps on him but winds up on bottom where he stays for the next 12/13 minutes of the fight. The entire fight consists of O'Brien taking him down at will, getting positions and Herring moaning and feeling sorry for himself on bottom. Shitty fight.

I mean some of the takedowns were beautiful but once it hit the ground there wasn't much going on from either guy. Herring was angling for the ref to stand it up but O'Brien was working for positions. He was able to get dominant positions but did nowt when he got them. Frustrating fight to watch.

This was a disaster of a UFC debut for Herring, he pretty much just got toyed with for 15 mins. Basically if you missed this one, you never missed much.

Ed Herman vs Chris Price

Herman takes him down and Price is going for Kimura's off his back. Herman takes his back and looks to be going for a RNC but suddenly switches to an armbar and gets the tap in round 1. The transition to the armbar was a really cool looking finish.

Rashad Evans vs Sean Salmon

Round 1- Salmon tries an absolutely awful, woeful attempt at a Karate kick at the start of the fight. Looked like someone's fat little brother trying to do an impression of Daniel-san doing the old crane kick

Just look at it

salmonscranekick_medium.gif

:laugh:

Aside from that though, Salmon had a very good first round. Lands some decent punches, gets a couple of takedowns, side control for a sec. Clearly Salmon's round.

Then round 2 starts and about a minute in it all goes horribly wrong for him.....

rashad-evans_sean-salmon.gif

Unaired Prelims

Rich Clementi vs Ross Pointon

Surprisingly this was pretty much all stand up with Clementi choosing to stand with Pointon despite having a huge advantage on the ground. He was winning the stand up but I didn't get why he'd risk keeping the fight in the only area his opponent could win. Anyway at the end of round 2 Rich finally takes him down and Pointon is tapping to a rear naked choke within 30 seconds of the fight hitting the mat.

Din Thomas vs Clay Guida

Round 1 - Clay takes this pretty clearly with takedowns and ground and pound. Thomas was active off his back but Clay landed some hard shots on him on the ground.

Round 2 - Thomas had more success this round and uses his reach to outbox Clay. Guida gets a couple of takedowns and lands some nice elbows.Tough round to score, could probably go either way.

Round 3 - Clay gets some takedowns but Din stuffs a couple too. Bit of a stalemate in this round, Thomas lands some nice jabs but Clay hurts him at the end with a punch that knocks him off balance in the final seconds.

Din Thomas gets the unanimous decision. I thought Clay won with the dominant first round, a good 2nd round and the big punch at the end of the fight but the 2nd and 3rd were pretty close. Good fight.

Josh Burkman vs Chad Reiner

Bit of a wrestling,GnP clinic from Burkman early on, the highlight being a big slam/German suplex thingy that looked cool and a huge Matt Hughes style slam in round 2. Burkman gassed a bit towards the end and Reiner had his moments with a few close submission attempts but Burkman did enough to get the nod from the judges.

Nate Marquardt vs Dean Lister

Round 1 - Nate drops him twice in the space of about 15 seconds. Lister keeps pulling guard but Nate's stays out of danger on the ground. On the feet Nate sprawls well and is just teeing off, Lister is a fish out of water and Nate is having his way.

Round 2 - Lister is desperately going for takedowns but Nate keeps ending up on top. Nate decks him with a hard knee but Lister survives. Lister actually lands a few wild shots but the round pretty much consists of Nate sprawling and outstriking him.

Round 3 - Nate comes very close to stopping him when Lister dives into a hard knee on a takedown attempt and eats some big punches on the ground. Big John keeps standing them up quickly which Rogan criticizes. Nate totally dominates the rest of the round and drops him again.

Easy lopsided decision win for Marquardt, 2 judges gave him 30-25 scores. Total one way traffic, he stifled everything on the ground and battered him standing. Good performance from Nate.

51Hb7McJdLL.jpg

FightDVD doesn't have the one with full fights just the highlights like they showed on TV at the time.This one has all the fights shown in full as far as I'm aware.Not sure where you get it from though,dunno if it was ever actually released over here.Might be an import job.

6 Disc Region Free Blu Ray - here UFC Ultimate 100 - Blu Ray and it's about half the price I paid for it at the start of the year.

The same site also has the 8 Disc DVD edition, but thats only Region 1 encoded

Edited by KingOfMetal

• Paid Members

UFC Ultimate Fight Night #9 : Stevenson vs Guillard

Kenny Florian vs Dokonjonosuke Mishima

Kenny wins the first 2 rounds everywhere picking him apart with Muay Thai, elbows on the ground, leg kicks etc. Round 3 Kenny dominates until about midway when Mishima gets him in a brutal looking kneebar. You can actually see Kenny's knee bending backwards. Mishima loses it and switches to a heel hook but Kenny escapes and gets on top gets his back and chokes him out with a RNC. Decent fight, really good 3rd round.

Antoni Hardonk vs Justin McCully

Kickboxing vs wrestling. Unsurprisingly McCully plays to his strengths and takes Hardonk down ASAP. He pretty much just beats him up on the ground for 15 minutes. He landed some decent shots and Hardonk almost caught him in an armbar but apart from that a dominant win for McCully. Not the best fight.

Kurt Pellegrino vs Nate Mohr

Quick win for Batman Pellegrino here. He takes him down,passes guard and gets a nifty leg lock submission in the first couple of minutes.

He then proceeds to do some cocky little breakdance that makes him look a bit of a tit.

Funny little moment in the post fight when Rogan says to Pellegrino (who has a bunch of snot on his face and has no idea) "If I had a booger coming outta my nose that big I'd want someone to tell me so I'm telling ya". :laugh:

Joe Stevenson vs Melvin Guillard

Look at these guys records at the time of this fight (bare in mind they were both only 24 at the time too)

Stevenson is 31-7 and Guillard is 39-6-3

Thats fucking crazy

Anyway this fight lasts all of about 30 seconds as Stevenson catches him off balance with a jab and then jumps on him with the trademark Joe Daddy guillotine for the quick sub. Short and sweet but bit of a letdown for a main event that it was over so quick. Probably would've been a really good fight too had it gone a bit longer.

Got the Stout vs Fisher 2 show next so looking forward to that one.

Edited by wandshogun09

• Paid Members
51Hb7McJdLL.jpg

6 Disc Region Free Blu Ray - here UFC Ultimate 100 - Blu Ray and it's about half the price I paid for it at the start of the year.

The same site also has the 8 Disc DVD edition, but thats only Region 1 encoded

holy fuck! is that right?

is that place reliable? never used it.

I bought it from that site.

Was Out Of Stock at the time, but only took them ab out a week to get it back in and then dispatch to me. From Ordering (when it was Out Of Stock) to recieving it through my door was about 2 weeks. Also, they sent it to a warehouse they own in Europe, and then re-distribute to you, thus avoiding any unwanted customs fees. Honestly, its avery reliable site, they keep you updated constantly with the status of your order, and with it being in stock now, it will dispatch straight away and be with you within a week (and like I say, they keep you constantly updated with the status).

With it being region free blu ray, it works on PS3 and a normal Blu Ray player (my player is not region free, and it works perfectly)

Edited by KingOfMetal

• Paid Members

Was Out Of Stock at the time, but only took them ab out a week to get it back in and then dispatch to me. From Ordering (when it was Out Of Stock) to recieving it through my door was about 2 weeks. Also, they sent it to a warehouse they own in Europe, and then re-distribute to you, thus avoiding any unwanted customs fees. Honestly, its avery reliable site, they keep you updated constantly with the status of your order, and with it being in stock now, it will dispatch straight away and be with you within a week (and like I say, they keep you constantly updated with the status).

With it being region free blu ray, it works on PS3 and a normal Blu Ray player (my player is not region free, and it works perfectly)

cool man, ive ordered it :)

quick question, whats the packinging like? my mate has it on dvd, he bought it on release and the packaging is really nice, wondering if its the same. Stuff like this tends to get released pretty nice to start off then gets distributed a bit cheaper looking later on.

cool man, ive ordered it :)

quick question, whats the packinging like? my mate has it on dvd, he bought it on release and the packaging is really nice, wondering if its the same. Stuff like this tends to get released pretty nice to start off then gets distributed a bit cheaper looking later on.

The version I have comes in what I think you would call digipak packing. Its the same height as a standard blu ray case, double the depth, and comes with a booklet with some real nice photos, and fight from UFC 1 to UFC 98, with from Fight Night too

Edited by KingOfMetal

• Paid Members

i was starting to buy UFC DVD's but i decided to sell them off because of the Hi-Def thing, it's easy enough to get HD content online so i thought it was stupid to pay for an inferior quality product to what i could download... i do plan on buying the Blu Ray releases though.

• Paid Members
UFC Ultimate Fight Night #9 : Stevenson vs Guillard

Joe Stevenson vs Melvin Guillard

Look at these guys records at the time of this fight (bare in mind they were both only 24 at the time too)

Stevenson is 31-7 and Guillard is 39-6-3

Thats fucking crazy

Anyway this fight lasts all of about 30 seconds as Stevenson catches him off balance with a jab and then jumps on him with the trademark Joe Daddy guillotine for the quick sub. Short and sweet but bit of a letdown for a main event that it was over so quick. Probably would've been a really good fight too had it gone a bit longer.

Got the Stout vs Fisher 2 show next so looking forward to that one.

i'll always remember that fight... Guillard was at the height of his cockiness before that fight, he thought he was mini Mike Tyson, he talked loads of shit about KO'ing Stevenson then got dropped and choked in 30 seconds, i fucking loved it. If i remember correctly it was after this fight that Guillard got busted for taking coke.