MMA: Past Fight Discussion

Egg Shen

• Paid Members

flicked through the UFC 87 DVD last night....

Jon Jones vs. Andre Gusmao - notable mainly because this is Jones' UFC debut. It's interesting to watch this in hindsight knowing how far Jones has came in the UFC. Style wise he's basically the same here as he is now, he does all the flashly shit, spinning elbows, jumping double knee, them nasty clinch takedowns....he's a little rawer but he's the same fighter. It's also interesting to hear Rogan's commentary, i think it's apparent early that Rogan thinks that Gusmao is in another league to Jones, Rogan seems to put Jones skillset down to begin with but warms to him as the fight goes on. Gusmao was a beaten man half way through round 1, it seemed like Jones beat the confidence out of him. People also question Jones' chin because he hasn't been hit, but he takes a few good shots in this one and doesn't flinch, maybe he does have a chin.

Jon-Jones-Knee-Gusmao1.jpg

Roger Huerta vs. Kenny Florian - this was the fight before Huerta fucked off for a year. I'm pretty sure that it had already been announced that he was leaving after this fight, but they never mention it on the broadcast. Basically Huerta was in a position to fuck it up for Kenny Florian. Florian had other ideas, great performance from Ken-Flo. This is a fight i'd love to have seen go 5 rounds though, it really warmed up by the time round 3 came around, but Florian scored a shut-out, he beat Huerta everywhere and never got dragged into a brawl. It's arguable that Huerta's never been the same since.

Cheick Kongo vs. Dan Evensen - this fight made me lose a little interest in the forthcoming Barry/Kongo fight, everyones thinking standup war! but Kongo tends to have a bit of a history of taking people down that he can...if he's fighting a wrestler he'll try and strike, but when he's matched up with a striker with little wrestling Kongo turns into a wrestler. It's kind of annoying but sensible. Kongo finishes this on the feet, but he doesn't seem to have any intention of standing and trading with Evensen. What's the bets Kongo takes Barry down and beats him there?

• 2 weeks later...
  • Paid Members

watching UFC 4...if you're gonna watch an old UFC this is a decent one to watch...

Royce Gracie vs. Ron Van Clief - a basic early UFC Gracie beatdown, Clief is 51 going in here and ends up on the ground within seconds, Gracie swallows him up and ends it with a choke...typical old UFC bout.

images-763.jpeg

Van Clief!

Keith Hackney vs. Joe Son - this is a classic, make no bones about it. Everyone knows the Joe Son story, an absolute maniac. Everything about this is legendary: the bible promo from Son, almost not making it to the cage carrying the Kimo-cross, the red skimpes, the nut shots, the odd finish? Brilliant.

Hackney to be fair was one of the better guys in the early UFC's, he was a decent traditional striker who didn't mind a scrap. He was one of the few guys who actually came in and gave the crowd what they wanted. Joe Son basically pussed out of this when he got put in a bad position though, Hackney was holding him down and Son tapped...either that or his nuts were hurting.

joeson1.jpg

Melton Bowen vs. Steve Jennum - Melton Bowen looks like a fucking beast, a decent pro boxer with an intimidating pysique. Steve Jennum is best known as the most undeserving UFC champion of all time. Classic example of two different styles going at it. Someone should have showed this fight to James Toney before he decided to get in there. As soon as Jennum closes the gap he puts a fucking beatdown on Bowen, throws, punches, headbutts...all the while Bowen tries to throw ineffective punches from his back.

Dan Severn vs. Anthony Macias - to this day, one of the greatest UFC debuts of all time. It's one of the rarer old fights two to involve two guys that went on to have decent MMA careers (a lot of the guys on these shows were 1 and done). Dan Severn is a fucking monster here, there's a big size difference but this was still an impressive display of brute strength and technique. Suplex city.

Dan_Severn_UFC_Photo.jpg

yes!

Royce Gracie vs. Keith Hackney - many people seem to forget that a lot of the old Royce Gracie fight wern't very good. Despite the fact that he was the 'man' back in the day, he definately was not a crowd pleaser. People always seem to remember the Kimo fight being his best fight from the time, but i think this one is better, Gracie actually stands and strikes here and throws some pretty nasty knees. Hackney fought valiantly and probably should have just stood up and walked away when he got out of Gracie's grip. Good little scrap!

Dan Severn vs. Marcus Bossett - Jennum drops out after the first round due to injury so Marcus Bossett steps in. Bossett throws a few early kicks but gets mauled as soon as Severn closes the distance. This was the perfect example of how certain single figthting disciplines don't work though, Bosset attempts a fancy spinning kick and Severn just runs through him and it's over. Side choke, good night Irene.

Dan Severn vs. Royce Gracie - bit of a classic, it's by no means a great fight, Severn pretty much lies in Gracie's guard for 15 minutes without doing much damage and without ever looking close to being submitted until around 15mins in when Gracie slowly moves up to sink in a triangle choke. This is why the Gracie's insisted on these long fights, they are prepared to wait, be patient and finally take their chance. It was a bad fight, but it's a great little finish and it's a fight that has it's place in MMA history.

Royce_Gracie_vs_Dan_Severn_UFC.jpg

Royce Gracie is the man!

I love the old UFC's, fightwise they are pretty f'n shit but they are lots of fun to watch, be it for the terrible commentary, the mismatches, the awful fighters...it really was a different world back in '94.

Edited by Ebb

• Paid Members
Dan Severn vs. Anthony Macias - to this day, one of the greatest UFC debuts of all time. It's one of the rarer old fights two to involve two guys that went on to have decent MMA careers (a lot of the guys on these shows were 1 and done). Dan Severn is a fucking monster here, there's a big size difference but this was still an impressive display of brute strength and technique. Suplex city.

Dan_Severn_UFC_Photo.jpg

yes!

I love the old UFC's, fightwise they are pretty f'n shit but they are lots of fun to watch, be it for the terrible commentary, the mismatches, the awful fighters...it really was a different world back in '94.

10737_o.gif

Yeah I love the early UFC's too. Feels like you're watching some illegal, underground stuff, kinda like a real life Bloodsport.

Edited by wandshogun09

• 1 month later...
  • Paid Members

Been watching some oldish fights the last couple of days. Few really enjoyable ones that don't get much love.

Matt Grice vs Jason Black (UFC 77)

Saw this one a while back and thought I'd give it a rewatch. Great little fight. Excellent back and forth grappling and Black shows a lot of heart to survive a battering at times on the feet. Good stuff track it down if you can get hold of it.

Thiago Alves vs Chris Lytle (UFC 78)

This one gets some praise but a lot of people haven't seen it. It's from the prelims of UFC 78, think its on the 100 Greatest Fights set too.

Anyway really enjoyable stand up fight as you'd expect. Technique of Alves vs Brawling of Lytle. Some of Alves' leg kicks in this fight were brutal but Lytle keeps pushing forward throwing bombs. Makes for a fun scrap which is unfortunately cut short due to a cut above Lytle's eye. Shame, the cut didn't even look that bad to me.

AlvesLegKicksLytle.gif

AlvesDropsLytle.gif

Hopefully we'll get a rematch at some point.

Josh Koscheck vs Dustin Hazelett (UFC 82)

I'd never seen this before just the highlight of the finish. This was a much better fight than I expected. It's mostly on the feet and Hazelett really brings the fight to Koscheck with flying knees and constant attacks. Koscheck was too strong for him in the end though but a very enjoyable fight.

nice finish too

josh-koscheck_dustin-hazelett.gif

Jason MacDonald vs Joe Doerksen (UFC 83)

This was a decent back and forth fight and with it being in Canada and them both being Canadian it was a pretty heated fight. Never knew there was bad blood with these 2 stemming from an earlier fight between them?

Anyway MacDonald finishes him off in brutal fashion but pulls an out of character cunt move at the end which surprised me

90293152wi2.gif

57864423vw2.gif

Mark Bocek vs Alvin Robinson (UFC 91)

Forgot all about this one probably got overshadowed being on such a great show full of cool finishes. This was a cracking little gem of a fight. If anyone is looking for a good grappling fight to watch check this one out. Very underrated fight, non stop ground work, reversals, sub attempts until Bocek finally catches a game Robinson in the 3rd.

I'd recommend tracking down all them fights. Good shit. Does Dana White agree?

danasmoke.gif

• Paid Members

i think i need to go back to those fights... dont think i ever saw Lytle/Alves.

As for the Hazelett/Koscheck fight, that was the fight that i think everyone really believe Hazelett was going to go on and be something special, he gave Koscheck hell for a little bit. Everything seemed to go wrong for Hazelett after the Paul Daley fight though, im hoping he comes back at some point.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Paid Members

got the UFC's Ultimate Submission's Blu Ray this morning. Comes with the Ultimate Submissions programme but also get over 20 full bonus fights! The UFC doesn't skimp on the Blu Ray's, great stuff!

i think i need to go back to those fights... dont think i ever saw Lytle/Alves.

As for the Hazelett/Koscheck fight, that was the fight that i think everyone really believe Hazelett was going to go on and be something special, he gave Koscheck hell for a little bit. Everything seemed to go wrong for Hazelett after the Paul Daley fight though, im hoping he comes back at some point.

I thought Hazelett was gonna go far. Loved his armbar on Josh Burkman.

2aesglg.jpg

• 4 weeks later...
  • Paid Members

Found this earlier had no idea this fight even happened

Nick Diaz vs Chris Lytle IFC Warriors Challenge 17 (July 12th 2002)

Good fight. Diaz was 18 at the time and it was only his second MMA fight. Lytle had 20 odd fights under his belt. Love to see these 2 fight again some time.

edit - Forgot to mention it was uploaded by Nick himself. I wasn't sure it was really his channel till I clicked his name NickDiaz209 and saw this

Name: nick diaz

Channel Views: 228,547

Total Upload Views: 408,585

Last Visit Date: 2 weeks ago

Subscribers: 2,062

About Me: i fight

Hometown: Stockton Ca

Companies: all the good ones

University/College/School: ceasr gracie

:laugh:

Edited by wandshogun09

• 2 weeks later...
  • Paid Members

ive got a pretty extensive collection of King of the Cage shows but im seen very few of them, it's a rainy afternoon so ive stuck on King of The Cage 10: Critical Mass, features a one night 8 man heavyweight tournament, filled with old school ufc fighters and some other scrubs, should be fun...

Edited by Ebb

• Paid Members

watched the 8 man tourmament, it was alright! a rag-tag collection of 8 big heavyweights, it had that old ufc feel as everyone kind of brought a unique style to the cage. Some old school heavyweights and some debutants who went onto some better things.

Kauai Kupihea wins it, bit of a KOTC staple. Tough Hawaiian heavyweight, not great at anything but he has a decent all around game. His opening round bout with boxer Josh Dempsey is one of them little underrated gems i love watching these old shows for. An absolute war on the ground, they reversed position around 5 times each, an absolute dog fight. The fights are only a single 7 minute round, Kupihea took a close one, i don't think this could have gone to a 2nd round, they were fucked.

Zane Frazier an old UFC fighter beat the shit out Japanese punching bag Giant Ochiai before gassing out badly towards the end, if there was an extra minute in the fight Ochiai would have won but Frazier took the decision but quit the tournament cause he was f'n knackered.

Wade Shipp debuted and armbarr'd a lumpy Fred Lloyd before having a war with Kupihea in round 2. For Kupihea to come back and fight like he did was some gutsy shit. Larry Landless must have not liked Wade Shipp cause he allowed him to take some brutal punishment at the end of this.

The tourmanent was let down by a poor final. Kupihea vs. Mike Bourke, im fairly sure Bourke was fucked after gassing out in the semi final against Keith Richardson and tapped as soon as he was taken down claiming a back injury, hmmmmmmn....

Still Kupihea earned his f'n cheddar this night, hard nights work. I like watching him fight though, i love Hawaiians!

Wonder what happened to Josh Dempsey? he lost his debut here but he seemed a decent prospect, good hands, decent wrestling and he showing some jiu jitsu savvy...plus he's the grandson of Jack Dempsey! that's a promotional tool right there. He only had 1 more fight and won a decision of Cyrill Diabate.

King of the Cage is kinda shitty, the production values a bargain basement but there's a lot of history in these shows, lots of fighters got their start there.

Edited by Ebb

I watched King of the Cage 'Road Warriors' (from November 2000) a couple of months back and that was the last KOTC show I saw. I started to make notes about it to do a write up but kinda got sidetracked and never got round to doing it.

Like you say, the highlight of these shows is seeing guys in the infancy of their careers and some of whom who ended up going on to be Superstars in the sport. The big names on the Road Warriors show are Quinton Jackson (in his sixth pro fight) and Joe Stevenson (who is just 18 at the time of this fight), whilst it also features a few fighters from the early days of the Lions Den and the UFC in Pete Williams, Vernon White and Adrian Serrano.

The Rampage fight is the best one on the card and is back and forth action all the way; Rampage hits a belly to belly suplex aswell as a bodyslam whilst his opponent (Rob Smith) has him trapped in a guillotine and drops him in almost a DDT style. The Stevenson fight wasn't much as Joe Daddy just controlled the fight with his wrestling, and that appeared to be all he had at this stage of his career. Pete Williams KO'd his opponent in six seconds, and the main was Vernon White vs David Dodd. This also wasn't upto much until a knee to the head KO from White.

There was a slightly unsavoury incident in the Tony Galindo vs Brian Hawkins fight where Galindo unloads on Hawkins for the TKO victory, but as the referee is trying to pull Galindo away he continues to throw punches to Hawkins. If this had happened today, Galindo would have been DQ'd and probably suspended also.

Search out the Rampage fight and maybe the ending of Galindo/Hawkins, but bar those two there is nothing else on this that you really need to see from this show.