MMA: Past Fight Discussion

Egg Shen

PRIDE 19: Bad Blood

Tom Erikson vs. Tim Catalfo

Tim Catalfo has a pretty magnificent beard. Tom Erikson unfortunately defeats both him and his beard with the choke. As soon as he got the mount on Catalfo he was relentless. Catalfo didn't do TOO bad a job defending but Erikson looked very good.

Wallid Ismail vs. Alex Steibling

I'm becoming a big fan of Alex Steibling watching these shows. Two fights in a row he has had much the same plan, and both fights go as he'd have wanted them to, for the most part. I think he could have done without Ismail having so much time on top in the last two rounds, but Steibling did all of the main effective work and was never in danger of losing the fight. Even when they spent most of the first round on the ground, both guys kept busy and that helped to make it more entertaining, and therefore make the whole fight well worth a watch. Great stuff.

Pele vs. Carlos Newton

I'm fucking gutted that this fight had to finish. Absolutely terrific fight there. Newton took some absolutely horrific shots in that fight. The knee in particular is just incredible and Newton didn't even seem that phased by it afterwards as he just continued to do as he was doing. Pele looked absolutely raging after the fight. Absolutely brilliant.

Igor Vovchanchyn vs. Heath Herring

The first round of this was absolutely brilliant, and I thought we were really in for yet another cracker on this show, but alas it wasn't to be and the fight died down quite a fair bit in the last two rounds. The first round was incredible though with both guys looking magnificent. Igor in particular was really surprising with the ease at which he was taking Herring down. Herring was very dominant in the last two rounds though. I'd say that the first round is certainly good enough to make this one to watch.

Antonio Rodrigo Nogueira vs. Enson Inoue

That was yet more brilliant stuff from Big Nog. Inoue wasn't without his good points and he put in some good shots and also defended the submissions, but starting from the toe hold attempt, Big Nog wound up finding himself in the "matter of time" stages, and then set up the Triangle Choke with an Arm Bar and got the win. Very good from Big Nog.

Wanderlei Silva vs. Kiyoshi Tamura

JUST ANOTHA VICTIM!!! One punch knockout in the second round from Silva. Tamura didn't seem to be offering much in the first round, other than giving Silva a punching bag. In the second round he actually caught Silva on the feet a couple of times, and rocked him on one occaision. Silva clocked him with the right to the temple and the ref stepped in.

Don Frye vs. Ken Shamrock

Umm... not sure what to make of this fight. There is an intensity there which makes the whole thing intriguing, but truth be told, it isn't a good fight for me. There is a great moment in the third round when Frye lands two big shots, and there's two almost identical moments with Shamrock going with the heel hook. There's stand up exchanges in flurries but most of the fight isn't very good.

I thought this was an amazing show to watch. Main event felt like a spectacle but turned out to be a disappointment.

• Paid Members

the heel hook Shamrock has Frye in is brutal, i think Shamrock legit broke Don's ankle yet Severn never tapped...tough as nails.

The build up is great to that fight though, i think if you have the DVD a lot of the stuff is included in the extra's?

oh and Wanderlei at that point was going through his stage of just ruining Japanese challengers one after another. It was fun as hell, but the guys he were fighting were either a) outmatched or b) terrified. Wanderlei was given some favourable match-up's in Pride.

The build up is great to that fight though, i think if you have the DVD a lot of the stuff is included in the extra's?

There's a bunch of stuff pre-show, but it's only a small bit on the press conferences. There's also a post-fight interview with Frye giving Shamrock some credit for the way he cranked it in. You could tell that he was in a lot of pain in the heel hook.

oh and Wanderlei at that point was going through his stage of just ruining Japanese challengers one after another. It was fun as hell, but the guys he were fighting were either a) outmatched or b) terrified. Wanderlei was given some favourable match-up's in Pride.

I think "outmatched" certainly describes the last two. Otsuka certainly wasn't terrified. Daft bastard just wanted to trade. To be fair to Otsuka though, he did give himself a good showing I thought, especially considering he was on a three fight losing streak.

• Paid Members

Back on the subject of Wanderlei in Pride, during his time there he went a staggering 15-0 against Japanese opposition. Granted some of them guys were basically cans but it also includes some of the best fighters Japan ever produced. It's hard to see whether the motivation was just to keep Wand winning or whether the promotion did desperately want a Japanese fighter to beat him.

As for people being terrified of Silva, it's very true. It's been well reported that people scurried when Wanderlei was around. the Chute Boxe team were an intimidating bunch and Wanderlei himself was a completely different animal to the happy, smiling guy we see in the UFC.

As for his fights against Japanese fighters, Hidehiko Yoshida is the only guy that came anywhere near pulling it off. Classic fight.

• Paid Members
Back on the subject of Wanderlei in Pride, during his time there he went a staggering 15-0 against Japanese opposition. Granted some of them guys were basically cans but it also includes some of the best fighters Japan ever produced. It's hard to see whether the motivation was just to keep Wand winning or whether the promotion did desperately want a Japanese fighter to beat him.

As for people being terrified of Silva, it's very true. It's been well reported that people scurried when Wanderlei was around. the Chute Boxe team were an intimidating bunch and Wanderlei himself was a completely different animal to the happy, smiling guy we see in the UFC.

As for his fights against Japanese fighters, Hidehiko Yoshida is the only guy that came anywhere near pulling it off. Classic fight.

Pride were actually very smart with how they handled Silva, They threw him some hugely outmatched fighter which made him look like a killer. When they eventually lost the fighters got the 'fighting spirit' nod for taking him on and if they somehow managed to win they would be given the Sakuraba treatment and be promoted as the underdog superstar. It worked very well. My only beef wit the whole thing was the sheer amount of non title matches he had during his time in Pride, There was a point where he never seemed to be defending.

Totally agree about his aura at the time. Events like the Hammer House/Chute Box bust up I mentioned above totally gave you the feeling he was ready to kill everyone at the drop of a hat

• Paid Members

they just make him look like a killer though, Wanderlei was a f'n killer. He handily defeated some of the best figthers in the world during his run in Pride, but that just magnifies how unfair some of the fights he had were.

Japanese MMA was great in that it wasn't really all about wins and losses, the Japanese fighters were all superstarts despite being on losing streaks. Fighting Spirit was what it was all about.

I thought it was worth mentioning that I went back and watched the Otsuka fight. The guy actually did fucking good! He didn't appear to lack skill in any department and shook Silva a few times. The moment when he switched position was terrific, he DROPPED Silva with a right, and had some goo scrambles. He put up a fight, unfortunately ended by injury.

• Paid Members

Chute Boxe were the scariest fuckers about back then. Imagine seeing this coming towards you...

chute_boxe.jpg

.......no wonder people shit themselves

PRIDE FC 20: Armed and Ready

Norihisa Yamamoto vs. Bob Sapp

I've never actually seen a Bob Sapp fight before. That was quite the beating that Yamamoto took there. What was Yamamoto supposed to do there? I just can't figure out how he was ever going to win that fight and Sapp just winds up punching him untill the referee steps in.

Masaaki Satake vs. Quinton "Rampage" Jackson

German Suplex is how ye win an MMA match. This is the winning move of the future. As for the fight, it was actually quite good, even if it was a bit on the one sided side. Rampage landed a couple of big slams, including the one that won the fight eventually. Satake looked dangerous on the feet and Rampage wanted NONE of that, getting close and then taking him down and gave him quite the beating. The most vile thing being two HUGE knees from the side. Impressive.

Yusuke Imamura vs. Antonio Rogerio Nogueira

Is this Little Nog's PRIDE debut? Can't remember coming across him before watching these. In the time it takes me to type those two sentences out, Little Nog wins with the Guillotine Choke. Hmm. One of the easier paydays of his career probably.

Dan Henderson vs. Ricardo Arona

The fight got worse as it went on but it wasn't enough that it was a bad fight. It remained very interesting from the first minute to the last. Arona really dominated more and more as the fight went on, and as we came to the end of the fight, we seen that Henderson was getting more and more desperate to do something, but Arona did a great job of managing to keep things going well. The first round was superb though and a brilliant two sided tactical battle between two obviously very gifted fighters.

Murilo "Ninja" Rua vs. Mario Sperry

Ladies and gents, this is utterly utterly brilliant. It just doesn't settle down. The number of crazy exchanges between the two on the feet is only the tip of the iceberg. When they get down to the ground, you have the dangerous striking of Ninja and the obvious submission talents of Sperry. As the fight went on, Ninja seemed to be getting better of the striking exchanges but early, Sperry had Ninja rocked a couple of times, and even got a knockdown from a brilliant right hand. Both men with close calls in submissions as well. It was just an excellent two sided fight and probably one of my favourites yet. I'd say it's between this and Nog/Herring.

Alexander Otsuka vs. Sanae Kikuta

You know, I was going to say "If I didn't know any better, I'd say Otsuka was deliberately kneeing the balls?", but I'm not convinced he didn't know what he was doing, given the fact that he apparently doesn't like or respect Kikuta. I'd like to think Kikuta earned his respect with a good but unspectacular showing. Kikuta just seemed happy to ride the fight out, and when you consider how successfully he did this, it was a fair enough tactic. It made his Arm Bar at the end even better as it was just so out of nowhere. The mocking rubbing of the head from Otsuka was fun too. Not a great fight, but it was a fun watch, and credit to Otsuka for not giving up, and I don't know if he decided to raise his hands at the end because he never quit.

I don't mind the not hand shaking thing at the end there. Maybe the finger was a bit much, but if you don't respect someone, even after you've had your ass kicked then it means nothing to shake their hand. Giving the finger was a bit much though.

Wanderlei Silva vs. Mirko Cro Cop

Cro Cop somehow manages to match the intensity of Silva with that staredown. It was a very good showing from Wanderlei Silva I thought. If it had gone to a judge's decision, Wanderlei Silva probably would have won it. Calling that a draw just wasn't fair on Silva though. Cro Cop's main successes were from the body kicks and he left the body of Silva in some state. Pretty much the entire time though, Silva was the dominant guy on the feet, and in round two he managed to throw some big blows in the guard. Impressive.

I thought this was a brilliant show with some really intruiging stuff and one terrific fight in particular.

• Paid Members

Alexander Otsuka vs. Sanae KikutaYou know, I was going to say "If I didn't know any better, I'd say Otsuka was deliberately kneeing the balls?", but I'm not convinced he didn't know what he was doing, given the fact that he apparently doesn't like or respect Kikuta. I'd like to think Kikuta earned his respect with a good but unspectacular showing. Kikuta just seemed happy to ride the fight out, and when you consider how successfully he did this, it was a fair enough tactic. It made his Arm Bar at the end even better as it was just so out of nowhere. The mocking rubbing of the head from Otsuka was fun too. Not a great fight, but it was a fun watch, and credit to Otsuka for not giving up, and I don't know if he decided to raise his hands at the end because he never quit. I don't mind the not hand shaking thing at the end there. Maybe the finger was a bit much, but if you don't respect someone, even after you've had your ass kicked then it means nothing to shake their hand. Giving the finger was a bit much though.

Was this the fight where Otsuka had that big fuck off lump on his head? It looked horrible.