MMA: Past Fight Discussion

Egg Shen

• Paid Members

And Polakowski/Alfonso 1. That was some crazy shite at the start there.

EDIT - just found the full vid of this fight. I seem to remember someone on here looking for it a while back with no joy

here it is

http://www.mmatko.com/olaf-alfonso-vs-john...ht-video-wec-9/

Anyone who hasn't seen it I suggest you give it a watch it's fucking mental.

Edited by wandshogun09

And Polakowski/Alfonso 1. That was some crazy shite at the start there.

EDIT - just found the full vid of this fight. I seem to remember someone on here looking for it a while back with no joy

here it is

http://www.mmatko.com/olaf-alfonso-vs-john...ht-video-wec-9/

Anyone who hasn't seen it I suggest you give it a watch it's fucking mental.

My favourite fight ever; I always try to give it the props and tell people to search it out but would struggle to find it online anywhere. Polakowski's MMA debut and he took the fight on less than 24 hours notice. The second fight is equally as wild, but Olaf fucks up his hip in the first round, and although he hobbles out and wants to continue the ref and doctors wont let him. Never seen the third fight in the trilogy.

Olaf was pretty much the star of the pre-Zuffa owned WEC; wild fights, on the receiving end of brutal KO's (search out (I think) the Razor Rob fight), a refusal to tap on subs and always gave it his all. Dana would've loved the guy.

• Paid Members

Olaf fought Phil Baroni a year or two back, that had me excited but apparently it was a real letdown...and to my knowledge no video has ever been released of it :(

Olaf's KO to Razor Rob was bad, the Sakurai KO too...shocking KO's.

Wonder what he's doing now?

just check good ol'wikipedia and it says that Olaf retired last year due to injuries :(

• Paid Members

Yeah Olaf vs Sakurai was a scary KO. Was on one of the last Pride Bushido shows I think. Olaf would have been great for TUF, Exciting fights and he'd be fun to watch in the house.

Pride 34 wasn't much good. In hindsight I wish they'd stopped at Pride 33, going out with a bang with what was one of the best shows they ever put on along with Bushido 9, Shockwave 2004, Final Conflict 2003. Guess they wanted the last one to be in Japan.

Right, back to the PRIDE 18 stuff.

Norihisha Yamamoto vs. Jan "The Giant" Nortje

Jan Nortje going for the Guillotine Choke seemed to be his downfall, because when Yamamoto managed to escape from that, Nortje just had nothing to offer in the way of defence on the ground, and Yamamoto just passed the guard, looked for the arm, got it and finished it, and did so with great ease. Yamamoto looked like he might be in for a long night early when Nortje took him down with the right hand, and if he had kept the fight standing, could have won this one.

Igor Vovchanchyn vs. Valentijn Overeem

Stephen Quadros: "Overeem doesn't have to worry about a heel hook from Igor." :laugh: How does that grab ye? Although when he said it, I was kind of agreeing with him. Then Igor gets the heel hook and you could see that Overeem was never far away from tapping out. Some good stuff on the ground from both men actually, with some good jostling for position. Enjoyable while it lasted.

Akira Shoji vs. Jeremy Horn

Not the best of fights there. It should be noted that Jeremy Horn was actually very good here. He was constantly working hard from the bottom looking for all sorts of shit every single time he had Akira on top, and then looking great when he was in the same position. He also managed to look pretty excellent standing. Just a top notch showing from Horn really, even if the fight wasn't that exciting.

Wanderlei Silva vs. Alexander Otsuka

I think that Otsuka has to be given credit here lasting against Wanderlei Silva. Especially coming off of a considerable losing streak. And at the end of the second round he actually managed to be impressive with some good work on the ground. It was an unfortunate ending to the fight, a second in a row for Wandy, but that's what happens when you smash people's faces in. Not amazing, but good to watch Otsuka really give it a go against the champion.

Yoshihiro Takayama vs. Semmy Schilt

Some considerable size in this fight. Takayama has this weird watchability about him. He's sloppy as fuck and he just basically walks into the left hands and kicks from Semmy at the end. He also has a hilarious attempt at a takedown early in the fight, but he just comes in and tries to fuck the other guy up. Can't help liking that quality in an MMA fighter. Anyways, weirdly fun while it lasts.