MMA: Past Fight Discussion

Egg Shen

• 2 weeks later...
  • Paid Members

had a 'fight day' yesterday...got up at 10am and watched old fights right through till 7 until i went to a gig. Great stuff, nothing better than dusting off some old fights.

Watched a bunch of fights off the Dynatite USA show (Manheof/Yoon is a cracking little fight), few things off the UFC 100 Greatest Fights Blu Ray (Tank/Frye is a 90 second street fight, awesome!, Liddell/Jardine...Jardine's kicks won him the fight, it was better than i remembered too. Watched Akiyama/Leben & Carwin Lesnar from UFC 116, some old Cage Rage stuff including the much forgotten Zaromskis/Mason fight which you should seek out...the Manheof/Cyborg war, which suffers a little from the poor production values, if that fight had happened in the UFC it would probably be seen as one of the greatest fights of all time.

Also viewed some old boxing, Corrales/Castillo I and Holyfield/Bowe II (fan-man!), and i don't care what anybody says...as much as i love MMA when it comes down to p4p greatest figths, MMA has nothing on boxing. These two figths are a prime example.

Watched a bunch of fights off the Dynatite USA show (Manheof/Yoon is a cracking little fight), few things off the UFC 100 Greatest Fights Blu Ray (Tank/Frye is a 90 second street fight, awesome!, Liddell/Jardine...Jardine's kicks won him the fight, it was better than i remembered too. Watched Akiyama/Leben & Carwin Lesnar from UFC 116, some old Cage Rage stuff including the much forgotten Zaromskis/Mason fight which you should seek out...the Manheof/Cyborg war, which suffers a little from the poor production values, if that fight had happened in the UFC it would probably be seen as one of the greatest fights of all time.

That's a hell of a little fight, from my DVD listings after I watched this refered to it as and 'exciting short slugfest'.

Hardly that old, but I got a copy of the Zambidis/Chahid K-1 fight in the post a couple of days back and that is incredible. An absolute war, and I was up out my chair when Chahid floored him at the end of the second after taking a complete beating and looking done for. I know a lot don't care for him, but I enjoy the Voice on commentary. Probably watch the Wagner/Sylvia show from Titan Fighting Championship over the weekend at some point as that arrived from the US, along with the Sengoku Soul of Fight end of year spectacular.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Paid Members

UFC Ultimate Fight Night #14 : Silva vs Irvin

Jesse Taylor vs CB Dollaway

They wrestle to start with and JT Money is getting the better of it. Taylor is doing well with ground and pound from CB's guard then somehow CB winds up taking his back and finishing him off with a Peruvian Necktie.

hvs6z4.jpg

Awesome finish.

Anthony Johnson vs Kevin Burns

Everyone knows the story here. I had Rumble winning the first 2 rounds here but it was a good, close battle. Johnson was probably slightly edging the striking plus he got a few takedowns. And Burns pokes him in the eye a few times and is warned by the ref. By round 3 Johnson is gassing but manages a couple of takedowns. Back on the feet Burns paws an open hand out again and pokes Johnson badly in the eyes.

Johnson can't continue and Burns gets the win by TKO. I still don't agree with that decision. Johnson was most probably winning the fight at the time of the final eye poke. I thought it should have been at least ruled a no contest, if not a disqualification win for Johnson.

BurnsEyepoke.widec.jpg

ajohnson_eye.jpg

Cain Velasquez vs Jake O'Brien

Cain was 3-0 at this point and this was his first televised UFC fight. Cain just takes him down and bombards him with punches from the crucifix position until the ref is forced to stop it. TKO in about 2 minutes.

Frankie Edgar vs Hermes Franca

Edgar just dominates this fight with his wrestling. Franca has his moments with a close armbar attempt in round 1 and some well times knees as Edgar was shooting on him, one in round 3 landed flush and rocked Edgar but he manages to hold on for the one sided decision.

Brandon Vera vs Reese Andy

This was Vera's debut at 205 and was supposed to be a showcase for Vera. He looked decent enough in the first round but after that his killer instict seemed to go and we were left with the gunshy Brandon Vera we've become so used to. Vera was never in any danger or close to losing but it wasn't the type of performance you'd want for a debut in a new weight class. Vera won by decision in a lacklustre fight.

Anderson Silva vs James Irvin

This was also Anderson Silva's light heavyweight debut but unlike Vera he doesn't disappoint. Usual cautious start from Silva and nowt happens for a minute or so. Irvin tries a leg kick, Anderson catches it and counters with a pin point right hand to the face that drops Irvin and finishes with some hard punches on the ground.

s6rjuw.gif

Rory Markham vs Brodie Farber

Both guys come out throwing bombs. It seems to be going Farber's way and he has Markham backing up when suddenly Markham almost decapitates him with an absolutely vicious headkick. Farber was asleep before he hit the ground.

2dm8gub.gif

One of the best headkick KO's in MMA history imo. Up there with Edwards/Thomson, Gonzaga/Cro Cop, Riley/Omigawa, Hamill/Munoz etc.

Vera/Andy wasn't much cop and Edgar/Franca wasn't as good as you'd hope but aside from that a very enjoyable bunch of fights.

• Paid Members

UFC Ultimate Fight Night #15 : Diaz vs Neer

Houston Alexander vs Eric Schafer

By now everyone knew Houston's weaknesses. He starts off aggressive as usual. Schafer weathers the storm, takes him down, mount, ground and pound and taps him with an arm triangle in the first round.

Alan Belcher vs Ed Herman

This was a decent little fight. Herman had the better grappling and was able to score some takedowns and control most of the action on the ground. Belcher was the better striker and landed a lot of hard kicks and rocked him with punches. Close fight, Belcher takes a split decision.

Clay Guida vs Mac Danzig

This was another very close fight. Round 1- Danzig landed the better strikes, Clay got a few slams and takedowns in. Round 2 was pretty much the same but Clay probably nicked it with a German suplex and RNC attempt at the end. Round 3 Clay dominates most of the round with his wrestling. Guida unanimous decision. Decent enough but not one of Guida's better fights.

Nate Diaz vs Josh Neer

Yet another really close fight. Nate wins a split decision. I deffo had Diaz winning the 3rd and Neer winning the 2nd. Round 1 was really close because Neer owned the first half of it but Diaz came back strong. Tough fight.

Joe Silva did a great job with this card. So many close evenly matched fights.

Few highlights from the prelims

Dan Miller vs Rob Kimmons

UFC debut for Miller. Miller gets his back early and Kimmons can't shake him off. Less than 2 mins in Miller ends it with a standing RNC.

Joe Lauzon vs Kyle Bradley

Lauzon going for heel hooks right off the bat. Bradley wobbles him with a punch but Lauzon keeps it standing. Round 2 Lauzon gets a takedown, then backmount and TKO's him with punches.

Wilson Gouveia vs Ryan Jensen

They come out trading some nice leg kicks. Jensen gets a takedown and batters Gouveia for almost the whole round with some really solid elbows and punches. Round 2 starts the same. Jensen takes him down but this time he leaves an arm out and Gouveia takes advantage and finishes with a nice armbar. Good fight.

Alessio Sakara vs Joe Vedepo

Vedepo going for takedowns right away but Sakara defends. Sakara throws a headkick, Vedepo gets his hand up to block it but Sakara's foot whips round and cracks him in the ear/jaw line and Vedepo falls like a pisshead.

2q03xp1.jpg

• Paid Members

it's Friday night, the girlfriend is in work so i've decided to throw on some old fights :) went for a HDNet compilation thing called 'Greatest Grudge Matches'...

fights are in clipped form which is kinda cool for these kinda things, shows clips of:

Mayhem Miller/Tim Kennedy II - bloody little war...i remember this happening back in 07, first time id ever heard of Tim Kennedy, make you realise that he's been competing at a high level longer than people think. Makes me want the proposed 3rd fight to take place...this needs a trilogy.

Ryan Ford/Pete Spratt II - think this was only shown or the brutal cup shot Spratt takes early in the clip, ouch. Other than that, it shows Ford taking Spratt down and submitting him with a rear naked choke, it's more interesting if you know the story of the first bout going in, but whatever...Ryan Ford should be in one of the big shows.

Ralek Gracie/Kazushi Saluraba - i never actually saw this when it happened so it was interesting to see...this fight re-ignited the famous Gracie/Saku feud, hence the inclusion on the show. This fight was shown in it's entirity, hmmmmn...this was close. Frank Trigg said he gave it 3-0 to Ralek but i thought Saukraba had the best of round 1 and if it wasn't for a ridiculous stoppage in round 3 where the ref stopped the action so he could pull up Ralek's shorts Sakuraba could well have won round 3. I thought it was much closer than the commentary thought...or maybe i'm just biased towards Sakuraba?

ralek_gracie_vs_sakuraba.jpg

Aoki/Kawajiri - massive fight from DREAM, the whole took place with Aoki working for a heel hook, Kawajiri fought it until finally giving in, having his ankle destroyed in the process. If anyone's not sold on how dangerous Shinya Aoki is on the ground this is a fight to show them.

then onto some K-1...

Jerome Le Banner/Kyotaro - worth viewing this for the contorversial ending. The fight goes 3 rounds, Le Banner thinks he's won the fight is declared a draw so it must go another round so Le Banner just leaves, haha. Le Banner never strikes me as the kind of guy that would walk out on a fight but that's exatly what he does, what the fuck.

Mike Zambidis/Chahid - already seen highlights of this one, but this is the first time ive seen the fight in full...absolute war, both guys just throw bombs non-stop. If any MMA fan is unfamiliar with K-1 and likes seing people punch each other stupidly hard, this is the fight they need to see. Michael Zambidis is a fucking beast.

these HDNet comps are weird, they show lots of random fight which is fair enough but some of them make you think 'why would they want to show that?', but whatever it's all fun stuff.

Edited by Ebb

• 2 weeks later...

I watched Sengoku Raiden Championships 13 over the past couple of nights and this was the first time I have watched one of their shows in its entirety. In the past I have just tended to pick fights to watch that looked interesting, and what with constant new MMA cards taking place and a ridiculous back log of DVDs to watch, I never really had the time.

I'll start off by saying I thoroughly enjoyed the commentary, and at the moment the team of The Voice & Twinkletoes is probably my favourite announcing team in MMA. I've said often enough in the past that Pat Miletich is the only decent announcer Strike Force have, and whilst I am a big fan of Rogan, I just find Goldie irritating as anything.

The first fight was Ryo Kawamura vs Hidetada Irie; Irie was 41 years old and completely outclassed here. Kawamura just unloads on him in the second round until the ref steps in to call the TKO, Irie then collapsed to the canvas. As happens what appears to be way too much in Japanese MMA, the ref could have stopped this one earlier, and Irie took some unnecessary punishment here. The second fight was probably the most intriguing of the card as Choi Doo Ho took on Ikuo Usuda. Choi is a 19 year old Korean, and appears to have a ton of potential. He won a razor thin split decision here in one that could have easily gone either way, but for someone so young he is definately one to keep your eyes on in the future.

Takuya Wada decisioned Jae Sun Lee, and then the Brandon Vera trained Omar de la Cruz was stopped by K-Taro Nakamura. Cruz was clearly more effective on his feet, but for some reason decided to pull guard and take the fight to the ground. No idea why as he was eventually TKO'ed late in the second. Maximo Blanco vs Rodrigo Damm promised all sort of fireworks from the pre-fight hype and videos, but was actually a bit of a let down. The first round was all standing, but near enough nothing happened. When Maxi decided to let his hands go in the second, he looked very impressive and stopped Damm after just 45 seconds. The next fight was Sanae Kikuta vs Yasubey Enomoto. This was my first look at Enomoto and he looked superb, however this was just a display of his striking and Muay Thai as Kikuta was nothing more than a punching bag, and his ribs were discoloured after just a couple of minutes of the fight. It didn't go much longer as the ref called it before the round was done.

The penultimate fight of the evening was Hiroshi Izumi vs Chan Seob Lee. Izumi is a former Olympic silver medallist and Judo World champion, and this fight was nothing more than one to give him a win. To say Lee was terrible would be an insult to terrible MMA fighters. He apparently won the third season of South Korea's version of the Ultimate Fighter, and had nothing going for him bar the willingness to take punches to the head and a wild punching style that if he connects with will knock some one out. He was like some mini Roy Nelson with a dreadful physique and beer gut, and ended up getting TKo'ed at the end of the first after just taking unanswered punch after punch.

The main event was the Featherweight title match between champion Masanori Kanehara and challenger Marlon Sandro. This featured probably the KO of 2010 after an absolutely brutal uppercut KO'ed Kanehara in just 38 seconds. Kanehara was out cold, had his jaw broken in two places and had to leave the ring on a stretcher. I tried searching for this on both youtube and dailymotion, but couldn't find it anywhere but if you haven't seen it yet, try and track down the fight. I said in the Bellator thread that I was surprised UFC hadn't gone after Sandro, and even though he trains with Aldo, I still believe they should have picked him up.

Overall I would recommend watching the main event, the Choi fight (as I maintain he'll be one for the future), the second round of the Maxi fight just to see Maxi let it all go and Enomoto's display of striking. For perverse entertainment watch Izumi vs Lee.

• 3 weeks later...
  • Paid Members

UFC Ultimate Fight Night #16 : Fight For The Troops

Jim Miller vs Matt Wiman

This was originally gonna be Wiman vs Frankie Edgar but Edgar had to withdraw with an injury. Starts off with a fast pace and Miller caught Wiman in a nice guillotine and held onto it for a while. Wiman escaped but Miller controlled him from then on.

From round 2 on Wiman looks knackered although it's Miller who took the fight on a week's notice :confused: Miller dominated the rest of the fight for a lopsided decision win. Impressive performance from Miller, especially on such short notice.

Miller by unanimous decision

Tim Credeur vs Nate Loughran

Loughran just seems outmatched here. Credeur decides to keep it standing and just beats him up with some wild, hard punches. Loughran seems to have no striking defence and just takes shot after shot.

He tires a different approach in round 2 and pulls guard but eats a bunch of ground and pound for his efforts. Round 2 ends on the feet with Credeur battering him about and Loughran quits on his stool between rounds.

Creduer TKO at 5.00 of round 2

Steve Cantwell vs Razak Al-Hassan

Rogan quote - "Razak Al-Hassan seems to be a good striker himself and he has a fantastic afro" :D

Good striking battle early with Cantwell landing some really nice kicks. As soon as it hits the ground Cantwell has his way and easily gets the mount and slaps on a nasty armbar, Al-Hassan refuses to tap for a bit and it looked like his arm snapped so the ref stopped it.

armbreak.gif

Cantwell by submission round 1

Mike Swick vs Jonathan Goulet

Swick connects with a right hand in the first flurry and TKO's Goulet in about 30 seconds. Man Goulet's like the 170 version of Keith Jardine, if he gets past round 1 it's usually a war but if he's hit early he's fucked.

Swick TKO round 1

Ben Saunders vs Brandon Wolff

This fight is one of the best examples of how nasty a Muay Thai clinch can be. Saunders just beats the shit out of him with vicious knees to the body and head. Wolff's forehead had a huge fuckin tennis ball sized lump on it after the fight. Brutal.

2rnwuvk.jpg

benwolff3.jpg

Saunders TKO round 1

Josh Koscheck vs Yoshiyuki Yoshida

Kos just keeps winging the overhand right until it lands. Yoshida has no real answer for it, he defends it well early but once it connects it's over. Bad match up for Yoshida, his Judo throws were always gonna be tough to pull off against a wrestler like Koscheck and his stand up's not that good. Easy win for Kos.

Weird to hear people cheering Koscheck but I suppose it was to be expected with the Troops theme and Kos fighting a 'foreigner'.

josh-koscheck_yoshiyuki-yoshida_a.gif

Koscheck KO round 1

Steve Bruno vs Johnny Rees

This wasn't a bad fight, nowt spectacular but it was decent. It was overshadowed by the ref in the fight who was absolute shite but hilarious at the same time.

Less than a minute into the fight he's saying "C'mon fellas do somethin". Every time the crowd boos he starts moaning at them. Then late in round 1 Bruno has Ress' back and the ref splits them up. Rogan's pissed off and going off on him on the commentary. They clinch again and the ref shouts "C'mown do somethin maaan" :laugh: Late in round 2 Bruno takes his back again and finishes with a RNC.

God that ref was cack, not surprisingly I don't think he's reffed in the UFC since.

Really enjoyable show all in all. Looked weak on paper but it was full of action and finishes. Some of the celebs in the pleas for donations included Samuel L Jackson, Tony Soprano, Mick Foley and Charlie Sheen :)

Edited by wandshogun09

• Paid Members

UFC Ultimate Fight Night #17 : Lauzon vs Stephens

Anthony Johnson vs Luigi Fioravanti

Luigi comes in game but Johnson is just too big and strong a striker and just picks him apart with ease. Johnson hurts him standing late in round 1 and finishes with ground and pound.

Johnson TKO round 1.

Mac Danzig vs Josh Neer

Neer goes into Diaz mode here taunting and stuff which is a bit out of character and seemed to throw Danzig off his game. This was a really fun little scrap, forgot how good this fight was. Some nice striking exchanges and grappling from both. Round 2 Neer takes over and catches him in a tight triangle choke forcing the tap.

danzig-neer-10_medium.gif

2ez1w5s.jpg

Neer by sub round 2. Great fight.

Cain Velasquez vs Denis Stojnic

Cain's 4-0 going into this one. Cain decides to stand pretty much the entire fight and his striking looked excellent here. Great leg kicks, knees and punches and his combinations looked really sharp. Cain drops him against the fence. Stojnic can really take a beating and lasts late into round 2 when the ref stops it.

Crowd didn't like the stoppage but Stojnic wasn't really defending at that point. Bit of a flat ending but a very solid performance from Velasquez.

Cain by TKO round 2

Matt Grice vs Matt Veach

This was a crazy little fight. Wild exchanges on the feet. Grice almost got him in an anaconda at one point. Grice decks him and batters him with ground and pound but Veach survives barely. Then Veach drops him with about 30 seconds left in the round and lands a couple of punches and the ref stops it.

2464715.jpg

Thought Grice was unlucky there, Veach was given chance to fight back when he got dropped but the ref didn't really give Grice the same chance IMO. Awesome comeback by Veach all the same.

Anyway Veach TKO round 1. One of the best 1 round fights in UFC history.

Joe Lauzon vs Jeremy Stephens

Lauzon wisely makes it a grappling match and Stephens can't get his strikes off. Lauzon dominates most of round 1 but Stephens ends it strong with some nasty ground and pound and a big slam.

Round 2 they come out brawling and Lauzon does OK. Lauzon gets a takedown, mount and ends it with an armbar late in the round. Another fun fight.

Lauzon submission round 2

Dan Miller vs Jake Rosholt

Not really a lot to say here. Miller gets a hold of Rosholt's neck and locks on his trademark guillotine or Miller-tine :p about a minute in and that's a wrap.

miller-rosholt.gif

This is one of the forgotten great Fight Nights imo. I'd forgotten myself how good it was. Grice/Veach and Neer/Danzig are both cracking little wars and Lauzon/Stephens is well worth a look too.