The Smartphone & associated apps discussion thread

David

Had a chat with my lad last night, I've told him it might be best to think outside of the Blackberry option. I told him what we're willing to spend up to, and he mentioned the Samsung Galaxy Ace or the HTC Wildfire S.

They're quite similar from what I can make out. Both Android, 5mp camera, wifi etc. But from youz guyz opinions, which is better?

Had a chat with my lad last night, I've told him it might be best to think outside of the Blackberry option. I told him what we're willing to spend up to, and he mentioned the Samsung Galaxy Ace or the HTC Wildfire S.

They're quite similar from what I can make out. Both Android, 5mp camera, wifi etc. But from youz guyz opinions, which is better?

I have a Wildfire myself, until I can get the Galaxy note on contract, great little phone, speedy can run most apps no problem, good camera, only problem is no flash and internal memory is crap(only 150mb), but its been a great little performer with good battery life

Finally bit the bullet as my K800 is dying a death and is WSOD quite a bit.

Went with The Xperia Play off of ASDA Mobile for 21.50 a month and free black Wii

Yes, its not the greatest phone, and its a 24 month contract, but for 6 quid a month extra and to get a new phone, some data allowance 500mb ( when Ive currently got sod all) and a Wii didnt seem like the worst deal in the world, especially as couldnt afford a new phone, let alone a wii any other way

As Ive been out of the Mobile game for some time Im a bit lacking with information

So, my questions are these:-

1.) How easy is it to put emus on the play, what are they like and how many are available?

2.) what is the control pad like?

3.) Android phones appear to be really unstable is there anyway of ensuring more stability with the o/s

4.) What is the best Web Browser these days? Still Opera?

Cheers

• 3 months later...
  • Paid Members

Right, my contract is up this month (hurrah!). I want a nice, awesome smart phone that isn't Apple or Blackberry. Oh, and obviously not Nokia either.

I've really narrowed it down to: HTC Sensation, Galaxy S2 and Galaxy Nexus. Does anyone on here know quite a bit about these and able to advise which is best? I want it for what you'd expect from a smart phone, to do cool shit and watch Sky on. Nexus does have the latest Android operating system, but is it worth it? I want to be sure before tying myself into a long-term contract (which I did last time feet first with a HTC Hero, a week before I could've got a Desire :()

Any advice would be much appreciated.

Right, my contract is up this month (hurrah!). I want a nice, awesome smart phone that isn't Apple or Blackberry. Oh, and obviously not Nokia either.

I've really narrowed it down to: HTC Sensation, Galaxy S2 and Galaxy Nexus. Does anyone on here know quite a bit about these and able to advise which is best? I want it for what you'd expect from a smart phone, to do cool shit and watch Sky on. Nexus does have the latest Android operating system, but is it worth it? I want to be sure before tying myself into a long-term contract (which I did last time feet first with a HTC Hero, a week before I could've got a Desire :()

Any advice would be much appreciated.

I've got a Sensation, it's a nice phone and has a fast processor. Never had any issues with it and the size is just slightly bigger than an iphone. lovely screen on it too. It'll be getting updated to the latest version of Android in the next month too once HTC release it.

I've recently been lumped with an Sony Ericsson Ray. Despite its sleek look, great camera and decent performance reviews, it is an absolute piece of shit. During a call to a friend, I suddenly found myself on the phone to the emergency services despite it being on speaker phone and nothing had touched or was in touching distance of it. That's just been the tip of the iceburg with it. Avoid like the plague.

Android and its poor excuse for a market can fuck off as well.

What's wrong with the Android market?

I've not experienced any problems with it, apart from occasionally it doesn't notify me if there's an update for an app, but when I go to my apps it still always gives me the option to upate.

For one it's ill thought out and a clusterfuck. Also they need to get a grip on what applications are allowed to do, half the market is swamped with misleading tripe and some of the permissions are absurd.

• Paid Members

I do agree with Rule One. I love Android and it has served me very well over the past two years. However they do need to clean up and administer the Android Market a bit better. it's very hard and cumbersome so sift through the untolds amount of shit (soundboards, slide puzzles or unlicensed brands etc) to find the real gems in there. Better filters and search functions/options could help.

It's a LOT better than it was a year or two ago, but there is still work to be done.

Plus it seems the top third party software developers are now making their products available for Android more than they were. This was always a good stronghold the Apple market always had on Android- the top developers pretty much exclusively made their software for iPhones.

• Paid Members
I do agree with Rule One. I love Android and it has served me very well over the past two years. However they do need to clean up and administer the Android Market a bit better...etc etc blah blah whatever else I originally put

It seems they are addressing this and the Android Market has been replaced with Google Play! It has a new section for books and movies and now has Editor's Picks for apps- which is helpful to find some critically acclaimed apps amongst the shite on there.

Haven't properly looked through yet, but very promising at first glance.

• 3 months later...

I currently have a Nokia N8, and whilst I love the phone for it's camera (12mp) video recorder (720p HD) and Sat Nav (which is free and uses GPS. Although it's downfall is it takes while to find you before you can use it) I'm really not a fan of the Symbian software. It was OK to start with and the recent updates have sped things up, but it really isn't a widely recognised OS and doesn't get much support in terms of Apps and Games.

I'm looking to cash in whilst it's still worth doing so, and would like to replace it with a phone with the same features that I like the N8 for (camera, video & SatNav). I'm not a fan of the iPhone at all, so don't try and pimp that to me. Any recommendations?