DVDs and Films You Have Watched Recently #2

The Cum Doctor

Managed to watch :

Deadly Outbreak (Jeff Speakman) & Firewalker (Chuck Norris) last night as we got a new Tivo box yesterday installed so managed to find these gems on it so had a good ole 80s actionfest, both movies well worth watching Firewalker was basically Indiana Jones but with Roundhouse Kicks

• Paid Members

Watching Birdy with a very young Nicholas Cage, it's not bad but one thing I noticed is that when Cage is going mental and ranting and raving he sounds exactly like Mick Foley's crazy intense promos. Random I know

Edit: Having watched more of this Foley definitely saw it and took inspiration from Cage in it or i'm going mental.

Edited by Inspector Paul Solo

Last night I watched Flash Gordon which is a campy OTT classic and Not Another Teen Movie, which due to it's title seems to lumped in with Epic Movie and it's ilk. It's actually a bit of a loving tribute to John Hughes' films, it mostly mocks the teen comedies from the late 90s.

• Paid Members
Watching Birdy with a very young Nicholas Cage, it's not bad but one thing I noticed is that when Cage is going mental and ranting and raving he sounds exactly like Mick Foley's crazy intense promos. Random I know

I like this movie a lot (I'm a huge Nic Cage fan though) I think this film has the best ending ever, almost like a punchline, I love it.

Watched Duplicity last night on the telly, under the impression I was getting a classy old school style of film based on spying shenanigans. What I actually saw was an elongated episode of Hustle. It wasnt rubbish, but there was something about it that didnt sit too well, and the twists and turns were glaringly obvious. Probably have to be in the right mood to watch it I guess

Last night I watched Flash Gordon which is a campy OTT classic and Not Another Teen Movie, which due to it's title seems to lumped in with Epic Movie and it's ilk. It's actually a bit of a loving tribute to John Hughes' films, it mostly mocks the teen comedies from the late 90s.

just finished off Flash Gordon too. Brian Blessed is great in it

Speaking of The Campaign, anyone know why UK are getting it 7 weeks after US?

We often get comedies a couple of months late, it's partly so they can ship used prints after the US run rather than knocking up new ones (though this probably isn't an issue anymore with digital) and to do with promotional schedules.

• Paid Members

I thought Three Stooges was shit, I didn't mind the format of the film and all the silly stuff was fine, what grated on me was the story, I hated the orphanage/murder plot shit, hated it. Should have just kept it stupid and been all about the slapstick, I hated the fact that it tried to go for the heartstrings a bit too.

I watched Fear of a Black Hat, a mockumentary following the rap group NWH (Niggaz With Hatz). I would claim it was rippig off CB4, since it uses the exact same plot, but it was released a few months before CB4. It also makes a lot of the same jokes as CB4, the big difference really is the budget, it's obviously a cheaper film, but still fun.

I thought Three Stooges was shit, I didn't mind the format of the film and all the silly stuff was fine, what grated on me was the story, I hated the orphanage/murder plot shit, hated it. Should have just kept it stupid and been all about the slapstick, I hated the fact that it tried to go for the heartstrings a bit too.

to be fair my wife hated it, she said its 90 mins she'll never get back.

• Paid Members

I watched Grown Ups at the weekend. How is it possible to have a cast full of funny people and fail to make one decent joke?! The only thing that kept me going was the oncoming Norm Macdonald appearances, and even they were shit.

Chris Rock is a terrible actor too.

Edited by Blackson Jackson

Watched War Horse yesterday, and thought it was very good. Visually, its superb. Loads of excellent backdrops, and shot extremely well. Just like The Grey, its one of those films where I wished I had the blu-ray copy. Great acting all round, and it never dragged, which is quite impressive for a 140+ minute movie. Some slightly over the top/corny bits, but nothing that hurt the film badly. Good stuff.