DVDs and Films You Have Watched Recently #2

The Cum Doctor

• Paid Members
Last bit, are there any Troma fans on here? Lloyd Kaufman announced that there will be a Troma triple bill at the Prince Charles in london sometime in may, and he will be in attendance. I just hope it doesn't clash with my exams.

Thats fantastic news. Cheers for posting. Lloyds one of my favourite Directors believe it or not. Troma ranges from fantastic to craptastic but one way or another always entertaining. Obviously Lloyds films being my favourites. Absolutely chuffed by the news. Thanks for posting. Any further news? Personally i'd love to see Toxic Avenger, Tromeo & Juliet and Poultrygheist (sp) as the line up. The Prince Charles is ace. I met Emily Booth there at the 2nd Gorezone Magazine Film Fest a couple years back.

Come to think of it I'm pretty mad at myself for forgetting Troma in my top 10 favourite films.

He's an old school carney. Amazingly funny when he did the Fangoria Radio show a couple of years ago. could listen to him for hours.

The rumours is that it will be Toxic Avenger, Class of Nuke em High and Fathers Day (the latter would make sense as he is touring with it at the moment). Its all getting properly announced next week.

Im going through all Lloyd Kaufmans film books at the moment, really knowledgeable stuff while also being really funny. He also gave me and my friend a quote for our short film that is later in the year. "Like Josie and the Pussycats, but better"

That sounds good to me. I've not seen Fathers Day and the other two are firm favourites. Might have to take my Nuke'em High blu ray to see if Lloyd will sign it. If you hear anything else let me know. Cheers again.

Last bit, are there any Troma fans on here? Lloyd Kaufman announced that there will be a Troma triple bill at the Prince Charles in london sometime in may, and he will be in attendance. I just hope it doesn't clash with my exams.

Thats fantastic news. Cheers for posting. Lloyds one of my favourite Directors believe it or not. Troma ranges from fantastic to craptastic but one way or another always entertaining. Obviously Lloyds films being my favourites. Absolutely chuffed by the news. Thanks for posting. Any further news? Personally i'd love to see Toxic Avenger, Tromeo & Juliet and Poultrygheist (sp) as the line up. The Prince Charles is ace. I met Emily Booth there at the 2nd Gorezone Magazine Film Fest a couple years back.

Come to think of it I'm pretty mad at myself for forgetting Troma in my top 10 favourite films.

He's an old school carney. Amazingly funny when he did the Fangoria Radio show a couple of years ago. could listen to him for hours.

The rumours is that it will be Toxic Avenger, Class of Nuke em High and Fathers Day (the latter would make sense as he is touring with it at the moment). Its all getting properly announced next week.

Im going through all Lloyd Kaufmans film books at the moment, really knowledgeable stuff while also being really funny. He also gave me and my friend a quote for our short film that is later in the year. "Like Josie and the Pussycats, but better"

That sounds good to me. I've not seen Fathers Day and the other two are firm favourites. Might have to take my Nuke'em High blu ray to see if Lloyd will sign it. If you hear anything else let me know. Cheers again.

Fathers Day is the latest troma film, Lloyd didnt direct but was involved somewhere. Im going to take down my copy of make your own damn movie to get signed I think.

Jaws

So I watched this last night, got a bit sleepy by the end (not the film's fault) but otherwise it was really good. Martin Shaw seems to have got all the praise in Gladstone's film countdown, I thought the star was in fact Roy Scheider. The opening scene of the film had a very Piranha 3D-esque feel to it, plus I felt the film went a tiny bit too long.

• Paid Members
Jaws

So I watched this last night, got a bit sleepy by the end (not the film's fault) but otherwise it was really good. Martin Shaw seems to have got all the praise in Gladstone's film countdown, I thought the star was in fact Roy Scheider. The opening scene of the film had a very Piranha 3D-esque feel to it, plus I felt the film went a tiny bit too long.

As much as I like the film, after all the years of parody and rubber shark jokes, I actually think Jaws is a bit cute and lovable these days.

• Paid Members

Ip Man

I finally watched this last night. It is just brilliant! Its different to the usual Martial Arts films I've seen in the past, combining amazing action scenes with a pretty good drama storyline. I loved Donnie Yen too, would love to get recommendations for more of his films (apart from IP Man 2 and 3, which are already on my list)

True Grit

Watched this purely because of the raving reviews it received and Jeff Bridges. It wasn't for me, Jeff Bridges was great but I found myself being quite frequently bored. The young girl was very good, she's got a great future ahead of her.

• Paid Members

Cashback

Seen this before. I can well imagine this being one that people would violently hate or really love. I liked it more the first time, it's overall far too silly to pull off its more fantastical bits and on a second viewing the mixture of comedy, gratuitous nudity and bits of 'stop the world' fantasy don't click together that well. It's still quite good, though, although I wasn't expecting a Nick Hancock cameo even second time round.

6/10

The Burbs

Still absolutely great, my favourite Tom Hanks film by quite some distance, and yet more proof of what a terrific all-round actor Bruce Dern is as well. The bit with the bees still makes me piss myself.

8/10

Cat People

The original Jacques Tourneur one not the shitty remake. Although the stretches of Nastassja Kinski nudity make it worth a Fap Watch.

Really great film. I love how quickly in old films people fall in love and how matter of fact they are in telling each other. None of this business of arseing around for an hour and a half summoning up enough courage to even say it. Do you love me? Yes, I do. Wonderful. Okay, let's get married. Just like that!

Not really a horror film as such, but the last half hour are as atmospheric as you will find in any film in any era. It can drag slightly at the start, but it's still got its marvellous moments. Simone Simon was simply beautiful, too.

7/10

Ip Man

I finally watched this last night. It is just brilliant! Its different to the usual Martial Arts films I've seen in the past, combining amazing action scenes with a pretty good drama storyline. I loved Donnie Yen too, would love to get recommendations for more of his films (apart from IP Man 2 and 3, which are already on my list)

I am in the same boat as you when it comes to Donne Yen - I have watched martial arts films for as long as I can remember but, for some reason, I never used to watch any of his films. I picked up Dragon Tiger Gate a couple of years ago as I had heard good things about it & that sold me on him big time. Of his more recent stuff I would recommend (the already mentioned) Dragon Tiger Gate, Flashpoint or Kill Zone. I tried watching 14 Blades but I could not get into it.

I'm not familiar with his older stuff though so cannot suggest anything from earlier on in his career. From previous threads about Martial Arts films I think there are a few people on here who are better suited to recommend stuff from his older films than I am.

• Moderators
[

The Burbs

Still absolutely great, my favourite Tom Hanks film by quite some distance, and yet more proof of what a terrific all-round actor Bruce Dern is as well. The bit with the bees still makes me piss myself.

8/10

by far? Surely dragnet has gotta be up there?

Murz & Wrestling Snob

Good Donnie yen flicks are :

Mismatched Couples

Iron Monkey

Emperess & Warrior

Legend of the Fist : Return of Chen Zhen

Tiger Cage 1 & 2

Legend of the Wolf

Shanghai Affairs

Seven Swords

And newest out Wuxia are all pretty much worth the watch :)

• Paid Members
[

The Burbs

8/10

by far? Surely dragnet has gotta be up there?

Dragnet is great but I still like The Burbs a hell of a lot more.

Although having said that, it's been ages since I saw Dragnet and I think I might dig that out tonight.

• Moderators
Tom Hanks is easily one of the best comedic actors of the last 40 years.

If you don't take the last 20 years into account.

As himself, he's a funny guy. When you see Tom Hanks on a chatshow, you'd be hard pushed to find a more personable, likable actor, but he churns out a load of absolute dreck. What's the target audience for a Tom Hanks movie these days? A sixty-year-old woman?